Accounts show United will likely have to sell to buy big this summer

lysglimt

Scout
I mean, Pogba will go for something in the region of £100m so there's that, and if we're offloading the likes of Smalling, Sanchez, Lingard etc. then there's another £60m or so. So I don't think we'll be strapped for cash.

As others have said I do wonder if it would be worth moving DDG on given the emergence of Henderson. I think it'd break my heart but might be a smart move, wages would be a stumbling block though.
We can easily raise £200 m - and with net spend of £50m - we can get the 3 quality players we want ...

and if someone ponders how to get £200m (and yes I Believe someone will pay that for Lingard and Jones)

Smalling - £17-18m
Pogba - £100m
Jones - £10-12 m
Lingard - £20 m
Henderson - £50 m (with buy back clause)

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
We can easily raise £200 m - and with net spend of £50m - we can get the 3 quality players we want ...

and if someone ponders how to get £200m (and yes I Believe someone will pay that for Lingard and Jones)

Smalling - £17-18m
Pogba - £100m
Jones - £10-12 m
Lingard - £20 m
What's the weather like this time of year in cloud cuckoo land?

-Supreme-

Smalling - £17-18m
Pogba - £100m
Jones - £10-12 m
Lingard - £20 m
  1. Lingard is a little optimistic for £20m
  2. Henderson will not fetch for £50m if we include a buy back clause
  3. Highly unlikely we will sell both Smalling and Jones, unless we bring in another CB

Cliche Guevara

Presumably this actually says nothing about the club’s finances and only determines how the accounts are produced.

Probably rendering the majority of responses misguided?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Forecasting on wages. If you get Pogba and Sanchez off the wage bill then you go a long way to resetting it. Still needs major surgery over the next five years.

Agila Dathi

3. Highly unlikely we will sell both Smalling and Jones, unless we bring in another CB
Well Smalling is as good as gone, and Jones has played in 8 matches this season. I'd rather just give Tuanzebe or some other youngster the chance and sell them both.

A-man

Well Smalling is as good as gone, and Jones has played in 8 matches this season. I'd rather just give Tuanzebe or some other youngster the chance and sell them both.
I still don’t think it would be wise to sell both Smalling and Jones. Tuanzebe seems injury prone and has not shown PL standard (yet?). So it’s not like he hasn’t got the chance and they played Jones instead. He’s been injured. Bailly is also injury prone and nobody really knows his level in the long run.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Christ we really got fleeced by Leicester.
This makes interesting reading, the way I take the deal now with us expecting it all up front with mostly a flat fee as well. Was to discourage your club from approaching one of our first team players again.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Sell Pogba, Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Rojo, Sanchez

Keep Bailly and Smalling if possible. Otherwise if Smalling leaves, dont sell Rojo.

Get Sancho.

Get Fekir.

Get a DM/CM to replace Matic (his contract will expire soon).

Extend Odion contract if no affordable CF is available.

Looks realistic to me. The right winger will be the key signing.

-Supreme-

I don't think 4 CB is enough when we play 3 at the back at times

Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Tuanzebe

Agila Dathi

I still don’t think it would be wise to sell both Smalling and Jones. Tuanzebe seems injury prone and has not shown PL standard (yet?). So it’s not like he hasn’t got the chance and they played Jones instead. He’s been injured. Bailly is also injury prone and nobody really knows his level in the long run.
We have to get rid of the injury prone players like Jones and Bailly, I love Bailly when he plays but we can't rely on a player who's injured 50% of the season. But I'd like to give him a year or two before we cash out on him. And I don't think we should concentrate on CB right now, we still need a LB, winger and a striker, and of course we'll need a MC when/if Pogba leaves.
I think we could live without Jones and Smalling without going on the transfer market. Sure Bailly will probably get injured again but then we will have an injury prone Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Maguire, Lindelof and Rojo (unless he'll be sold but I'd rather have him in the squad than Phil Jones). That should be enough for next season.
I'd love to get a top CB in the summer, but I'd rather concentrate on others positions right now.

cyril C

Pogba. - RM just said they are not interested. PSG is in financial trouble, Juventus never intend to pay in full other than swapping their deadwood. So, selling him for 30m might be the only option

Smalling - 20m if we are lucky

Sanchez - I think we just don't care, as long as getting him off our book

Rojo - likely to be a free agent

Lingard - lucky to get 20m

Hopefully Andreas, Dalot and Jones will all be moved on as well - lucky to get 40m from all 3.
Removing Sanchez from our book would be the wisest move, selling 3-4 fringe players for 40-50m and replacing them with 1-2 decent players would be nice, as long as we get the right player. I doubt we will go for anyone more than 50m, but the paper won't stop quoting of course, they need our name to sell papers.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I’m no financial expert, but I don’t see the problem here. You paid 80 million for Maguire up front, but that only means you’re not paying another instalment on him this summer or next as would normally be the case, but you’ll still have instalments coming in from Inter for Lukaku for example. The biggest hit as far as I can make out is the loss of Champions League revenue and also I imagine losing Herrera on a free was a hit to the bank balance too.

But this summer you’ll still be able to spend as again any deals you do are likely to be in instalments over a number of years so even if you spent 200 million in the summer, the amount actually flowing out of the club would only be 50 million or so.

If you get champions league football next season that’s a big chunk of the problem resolved, if you sell Pogba for a decent amount that’s a wedge coming every summer for however many years the transfer fee is spread across. I think people read, including journalists, read too much into headline figures without knowing the inner workings of a deal and how the payments are spread out.

lysglimt

Scout
Lingard will easily fetch £20 million - sure he has had a lousy 12 months - but he is still an England international and at 27 there are many mid-table managers who would gamble on him, knowing that they get a very decent attacking midfielder when he regains his form. And in todays market, £20 mill isn't much for a player of his quality.

Henderson - not so sure about that actually. Likely England international for years to come, and there are no guarantees United would ever buy him back.

It's obvious that OGS don't rate either of them - and we have 4 highly capable central defenders at the club, in addition to Luke Shaw who has proven he can play there in an emergency. As well as Teden Mengi who is getting closer and closer to P.L level with his performances at youth and reserve-level. So no - I think we can safely let both of them go.

lysglimt

Scout

Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Tuanzebe
Well considering Shaw is the one who usually is the 3rd - perhaps you shouldn't leave him out ? And as I said in Another post - we also have Teden Mengi who is not far away from P.L level - and can fill in there

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sell
Pogba - 120m (I know the club has price him at 150m but other clubs only willing to buy him at around 100m, but I'd still ask for 120m, as he can't be cheaper than Joao Felix, who is at 113m. Like it or not, Pogba is still at good age, voted in team of year last season, voted player of tournament in UEFA cup, WC winner as key player, and is still in long contract with us - anything lower than 120m is very bad business. Just think about it, We bought Maguire for 80m when his market worth should be only at around 55-60m, then we sell Pogba for 100m, when his market worth should be 120-150m. No one will take us serious any more in transfer market, we are jut asking other club to rob us)
Lingard - 15m
Matic - 10m
Rojo - 10m
Jones - 10m
Sanchez - 0m (saves 350k wage bill per week, around 19m per year)

(De Gea - 50m, and saves 375k wage bill per week, around 20m per year)

Buy
Sancho - 120m
Partey - 60m

If really need to raise more cash, I don't mind to sell De Gea for 50m too (saves 375k wage bill per week, around 20m per year), and play Henderson instead. Judging from this season form/performance, Henderson is every bit as good as De Gea, if not better.

Last edited:

wolvored

All this talk of Pogba going for £100 million + is ridiculous. He will have 1 year left on his contract and if we get £80 million tops we will be lucky. Who will bid for him? RM have already come out and said they are not interested. I think realistically he will either go to Juventus or PSG and maybe even end up staying for the final season if Woody trys to play hardball. I can see a scenario where we have to accept around £50-60 million and a player we probably dont particularly need coming the other way.
Getting shut of the likes of Lingard, Jones, Periera, Rojo and Sanchez will also be hard, due to no one wanting them, especially Sanchez on his wages. No top team will want them, so you got to persuade the player to take a drop in wages and drop down the league or leagues. Matic will be a free agent so no fee there either.

Last edited:

Steven Seagull

All this talk of Pogba going for £100 million + is ridiculous. He will have 1 year left on his contract and if we get £80 million tops we will be lucky. Who will bid for him? RM have already come out and said they are not interested. I think realistically he will either go to Juventus or PSG and maybe even end up staying for the final season if Woody trys to play hardball. I can see a scenario where we have to accept around £50-60 million and a player we probably dont particularly need coming the other way.
Getting shut of the likes of Lingard, Jones, Periera and Sanchez will also be hard, due to no one wanting them, especially Sanchez on his wages. No top team will want them, so you got to persuade the player to take a drop in wages and drop down the league or leagues. Matic will be a free agent so no fee there either.
We have the option for an extra year

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Getting shut of the likes of Lingard, Jones, Periera and Sanchez will also be hard, due to no one wanting them, especially Sanchez on his wages. No top team will want them, so you got to persuade the player to take a drop in wages and drop down the league or leagues. Matic will be a free agent so no fee there either.
There will be no shortage of takers if Lingard is made available.

vanderpants

We are never going to get anywhere near 100m for Pogba, everyone has seen what he and his agent are like, they just throw their toys out of their pram and down tools when they sulk creating a media circus, Also nobody will take Sanchez as he won't take a cut in wages and to be honest, he is pretty crap now, so we are stuck with him till he leaves on a free. I didn't get why people are open to selling De Gea, on form he's probably our best player

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Henderson :-( £50m
Smalling £15m
Rojo £5m
Pogba £80m

Sancho £100m
Grealish £60m
Partey £40m

net spend £50m

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Club should stop paying out dividends to shareholders until we get back to the top and keep the cash for transfers. If only we had sensible owners. :rolleyes:
How does this financially benefit them in the short term? or in any way benefit them? (let's assume Glazers are obtuse enough to not see the long term benefit of this)

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Henderson :-( £50m
Smalling £15m
Rojo £5m
Pogba £80m

Sancho £100m
Grealish £60m
Partey £40m

net spend £50m
Why would we sell Henderson? Rather sell DDG if we have to. Henderson is young and looks set to take over from DDG (is also English)

AneRu

Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Tuanzebe
We should draw a line on his Manchester United career in the summer. Replace him with a youth player or a player from a team in the bottom half or a promising player from the Championship.

Eric's Seagull

Sell Pogba at least £90. Hoping for £120m. Might get it if he has good Euros.
De Gea £50-60m. Gonna be hard to get someone pat his wages.
Lingard £15m.
Pereira £10m.
Matic £10m.
Rojo £10m (hoping)
Phil Jones £10m (hoping).
Try to get whatever we can for Sanchez just to get him off wage bill.

Get Partey £50m?
Sancho hopefully got about £120m but think his price will rise quite a bit if he had good Euros.
Grealish £60m.
Bring back Henderson.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Why would we sell Henderson? Rather sell DDG if we have to. Henderson is young and looks set to take over from DDG (is also English)
I’d rather we didn’t but I just can’t see us getting any kind of fee for de Gea based on his massive wages and declining performances and we can’t really bench him either

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
How does this financially benefit them in the short term? or in any way benefit them? (let's assume Glazers are obtuse enough to not see the long term benefit of this)
Any business thinking mainly about the short term is doomed to fail. If the club starts doing well, the share value will increase and will still lead to greater wealth for the shareholder.

The share price was 26 USD/share during August 2018. This went down to the current value of 17.49 USD, which means a decrease of 34% to the value of the club in this period.

The only 2 reasons why they would only think about the short term is if they are planning to sell the club in the short term or they're just idiots.

AneRu

Sell Pogba at least £90. Hoping for £120m. Might get it if he has good Euros.
De Gea £50-60m. Gonna be hard to get someone pat his wages.
Lingard £15m.
Pereira £10m.
Matic £10m.
Rojo £10m (hoping)
Phil Jones £10m (hoping).
Try to get whatever we can for Sanchez just to get him off wage bill.

Get Partey £50m?
Sancho hopefully got about £120m but think his price will rise quite a bit if he had good Euros.
Grealish £60m.
Bring back Henderson.
I think Pogba has timed his season to be fresh and fit for the Euros so hopefully he will have a good tournament and get clubs like Real, Barcelona, PSG and Juve interested. A nice little bidding war could get us a good fee.

I don't think we will get anything over £40m for De Gea, he is no longer that good, no longer desperate to leave and is on a big, long contract. Maybe if we subsidize his contract by selling him for a subpar fee in the region of £30m? But how do we even get the ball rolling on getting rid? Maybe if Ole tells him that he is no longer the undisputed No.1 with Henderson coming back?

Matic is a free agent at the end of the season but I agree with the rest.

Schmeichel=God

Pogba - with a good Euros - could fetch maybe £100m

So that plus say Lingard and we could easily be looking at £101m

More seriously, between Pogs, Lingard, Smalling that's £135m... maybe some other players going out and about and I reckon we could hopefully be looking at about £150m in?

Also, feck the Glaziers.
This cracked me up. Wonderfully written on that second line.

Also....I second that final sentence and think think every single one of us should have it at the bottom of all our posts from now until their grubby mitts are off our club.

Also, feck the Glazers

Eric's Seagull

I think Pogba has timed his season to be fresh and fit for the Euros so hopefully he will have a good tournament and get clubs like Real, Barcelona, PSG and Juve interested. A nice little bidding war could get us a good fee.

I don't think we will get anything over £40m for De Gea, he is no longer that good, no longer desperate to leave and is on a big, long contract. Maybe if we subsidize his contract by selling him for a subpar fee in the region of £30m? But how do we even get the ball rolling on getting rid? Maybe if Ole tells him that he is no longer the undisputed No.1 with Henderson coming back?

Matic is a free agent at the end of the season but I agree with the rest.
I would probably take £40m for De Gea. I forgot Matic was out of contract at end of season. I think you make a good suggestion about Ole telling De Gea he wont be number 1, that might get him to think about going. Not sure where maybe Juve but I don't know what their financial situation is like. Not sure if the club would subsidise DeGea contract but we shall see.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The amount we lose by not qualifying for the Champions League is interesting.

Presumably that's significantly more than we saved on Fernandes by not signing him in the summer.

If we manage to scrape into the CL this season anyway Woodward can say it was a wise move but otherwise it's another big cock up. Presumably some idiot thought Pogba could still be relied on.

The rest is all a bit of a something over nothing. If we need funds in the summer we'll either sell or stagger fees like every other club does.

Problem with the "just sell Pogba" thought is this presumes someone will pay massive money for him. Juventus can't unless they sell big players themselves and Real didn't want to find the money last year.

Schmeichel=God

I just had a thought that this might be the new tactic to stop clubs from taking riddiculus amounts of money. Ed might be on to something..
This would only work if he starts working on deals in advance. Won't be too convincing after selling Pogba.
Given a Pogba deal on instalments, our second prize is at least being able to siphon away that first problem layer in negotiations for players we want regarding cash up front. If we don't have it we can't give it.

So if we are trying to stagger cash inflow, so as not to get ripped off, then we can allow any Pogba suitors the leeway of paying by instalments, which should lead to us getting a larger overall fee. One closer to what we thought he'd be worth. Because trust our luck to be such that we had a player most likely worth circa £140m, only for him to have a shitshow of a year in performances/injuries/media gesticulation/+ other value depreciating factors leading to a struggle to get £100m.

We don't need to give Ed/Judge a tougher task than they or those around them already make of it.

Like others have mentioned, I can't see this summer going smoothly anyway, never mind the Euros complicating things. At our rate of practically one negotiation per month we'll end up like this:

May: Smalling or Jones sale
June: Sanchez offload (attempt?)
July: Sancho chase
August: Pogba sale done at last & Lingard finally gets a taker + re loan Ighalo :lol: - taking us nicely up to 11:59 on the deadline day using a deal sheet.

I don't think we'll sell De Gea. Not after working on re-settling him and having him a real key member of the squad; also given that write up in another thread about how renewing/keeping existing players is actually useful for the accounts.

Schmeichel=God

This makes interesting reading, the way I take the deal now with us expecting it all up front with mostly a flat fee as well. Was to discourage your club from approaching one of our first team players again.
It's certainly a deal of which Levy would be envious/proud!

As far as discouraging us I reckon that's a good shout. We would have to be categorically certain of your player being 100% perfect for our needs to go through the Levy esq torture chamber of negotiations once more.

Alabaster Codify7

We have the option for an extra year

But another year of what, exactly?

Paying him 300k a week to play maybe 4-5 games for us across the entire season? While his agent and brother act as his personal mouthpieces in the media and badmouth the club left, right and centre?

No thanks. We should take what we can get for him within reason (£80m minimum) and cut ties for good.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
But another year of what, exactly?

Paying him 300k a week to play maybe 4-5 games for us across the entire season? While his agent and brother act as his personal mouthpieces in the media and badmouth the club left, right and centre?

No thanks. We should take what we can get for him within reason (£80m minimum) and cut ties for good.
He's not played due to being injured mainly.