Adam Johnson found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child | Sentenced to six years

Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

Something that belongs to them was instrumental (literally) in the committing of a crime?
We don't even know it belonged to them. If I took a knife form my work canteen and stabbed somebody with it do you think the police would be giving it to my employer? Why would they need it?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Seems like a reasonable guess that it has something to do with the nature of the crime he was accused of (at the time).

If you're up for trial in a case involving sexual activity w/ a minor, your employer will have to be briefed if the work you do potentially involves minors (which Johnson's does). Makes sense? I guess it does.

But isn't the employer then supposed to suspend you, as a matter of course, until the trial has taken place? That's another odd feature here. You're informed of the situation - and yet you fail to suspend the guy, in spite of this being part and parcel of the thing itself. Who would risk the fallout from doing that? And can you even plausibly do it in the first place - what with the police being fully aware that you've been briefed?

acnumber9

Seems like a reasonable guess that it has something to do with the nature of the crime he was accused of (at the time).

If you're up for trial in a case involving sexual activity w/ a minor, your employer will have to be briefed if the work you do potentially involves minors (which Johnson's does). Makes sense? I guess it does.

But isn't the employer then supposed to suspend you, as a matter of course, until the trial has taken place? That's another odd feature here. You're informed of the situation - and yet you fail to suspend the guy, in spite of this being part and parcel of the thing itself. Who would risk the fallout from doing that? And can you even plausibly do it in the first place - what with the police being fully aware that you've been briefed?
They don't need specifics for that though and the police claim they weren't given specifics. Only Johnson is claiming that. The same Johnson claiming innocence until it went to court.

Sunderland did suspend him initially and then lifted it after legal advice. Surely that suggests they were advised that they were on shaky ground.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
We don't even know it belonged to them. If I took a knife form my work canteen and stabbed somebody with it do you think the police would be giving it to my employer? Why would they need it?
I thought we were being purely hypothetical :D Not sure how many knives can be used for grooming, or how many knives are given to employees as as benefits of employment.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

That bolded part is one of the biggest problems I had with the club, given that the work closely with Foundation Of Light and young kids. If I remember right, in their statement they said the police briefed them in that May meeting and child protection measures were put in place in relation to Johnson and FOL, which would make a lot of sense as to how they might know details of the case such as the texts.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sunderland did suspend him initially and then lifted it after legal advice. Surely that suggests they were advised that they were on shaky ground.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm suggesting: They must have been properly advised on the matter. It seems extremely odd, on the face of it, that they would have lifted the initial suspension if they hadn't been advised that this was legit.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Where are these transcripts? They wouldn't need to know the specific details to know he'd been charged with sexual assault on a minor. That's all they needed to know so why would they go into specifics including what evidence they had?
What do you mean where are these transcripts? Byrne had a dossier of the police evidence against Johnson on May 4 2015, which she handed to defence barrister Orlando Pownall QC. Among the evidence was a transcript of Johnson’s police interview when he admitted kissing the girl and asked: “Is kissing sexual activity?” Copies of the 834 messages the footballer exchanged with the schoolgirl between December 31 2014 and February 26 2015 were also handed to Mr Pownall by Ms Byrne.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Marching

They don't need specifics for that though and the police claim they weren't given specifics. Only Johnson is claiming that. The same Johnson claiming innocence until it went to court.

Wrong. The police, the court, Johnsons solicitor all agree that Byrne was told what Johnson had been charged with and that police had evidence of sexual activity etc.

Marching

That bolded part is one of the biggest problems I had with the club, given that the work closely with Foundation Of Light and young kids. If I remember right, in their statement they said the police briefed them in that May meeting and child protection measures were put in place in relation to Johnson and FOL, which would make a lot of sense as to how they might know details of the case such as the texts.
Correct.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-doesn-t-deserve-prison-Twitter-lynching.html

Despite the author and website, I find myself agreeing with parts of this. However, I am 100% sure it is wrong as I should not be agreeing with either the site or the author.
I agree with the Twatter pitchfork brigade part.

Rest of it isn't ironclad in terms of either logic or morals, if you ask me.

She also makes the dubious "it's legal in Germany" point: A 28 year old doesn't stand in the same legal relation to a 14 year old as he or she does to an 18 year old. The German model is more subtle than that, as pointed out by several posters in this very thread.

acnumber9

Wrong. The police, the court, Johnsons solicitor all agree that Byrne was told what Johnson had been charged with and that police had evidence of sexual activity etc.
Only Johnson and his defence attorney is claiming Subderland knew every detail. So, not wrong in what I said at all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Katie Hopkins has never been right about anything, ever.

She won't even actually think what she's written, she just adopts contrary views in order to act the cnut.

RedRevongge

Usually when this kind of case happens a lot of similar ones follow (whether real or fabricated is another story). Does anyone think more accusations of sexual abuse against a minor involving sport stars will begin to appear over the coming months?

acnumber9

What do you mean where are these transcripts? Byrne had a dossier of the police evidence against Johnson on May 4 2015, which she handed to defence barrister Orlando Pownall QC. Among the evidence was a transcript of Johnson’s police interview when he admitted kissing the girl and asked: “Is kissing sexual activity?” Copies of the 834 messages the footballer exchanged with the schoolgirl between December 31 2014 and February 26 2015 were also handed to Mr Pownall by Ms Byrne.
Why would Sunderland be the ones giving evidence to Johnson's defence attorney? Surely the police would be disclosing that to them? Where is this claimed?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Katie Hopkins has never been right about anything, ever.

She won't even actually think what she's written, she just adopts contrary views in order to act the cnut.
This is it exactly. She's a gun for hire, which is why I no longer bother to read anything she's written. If, in true tabloid style, she took the 'string him up' position then her piece wouldn't get so much attention...so she's - predictably - not done that. Yawn. Mail columnists are a waste of opposable thumbs.

acnumber9

How does this info make you feel about the suspension flip-flop?
Doesn't really change anything on that. They only lifted it following legal advice and after meeting with the PFA. To me it seems they only lifted the suspension having been advised to do so.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sunderland CEO has resigned, saying she made a "serious mistake" in her handling of the situation.

Boycott

Johnson's sister has set up a "Justice For Johnson" Facebook page..
:confused:

He pleaded guilty to two charges. The only appeal she can have is for a light sentence. But I'm more amazed that she's sticking by him. Family or not, after the disgusting revelations that came out of this trial, I'd want nothing more to do with him. I read recently his childhood friend Dale Roberts committed suicide after his girlfriend cheated on him with Paul Terry (John's brother). One would have thought after going through that experience Johnson would have some conscious about the implications of cheating on family. Never mind breaking the law.

redtilded121

It's good she has gone,she got it wrong
The next player to be accused won't be given the chance to play on they will be suspended from the start till the end of the case.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol: First decent thing she's done. Shocking conduct for a lawyer.
She obviously thought (as he did) that he could somehow get off, it took him a whole 10 months to plead guilty. What is also shocking is she/the club were sent the evidence, including the whatsapp messages.
So at what point did they have the conversation with Adam J about what went down? Shows you how these clubs work, if they think you can get off they will back you regardless of guilt.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How was it that she was given this evidence bundle anyway? Surely the police shouldn't be handing evidence to a suspects employer?

Or was she in some way acting as his legal council?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Fair enough if those hypothetical clubs also have the evidence prior the trial, but in no way fair if that isn't the case.
If you were charged with the same crime and awaiting trial do you think there's any chance your employer would not suspend you (with pay) pending the outcome?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I don't like that just the accusation would be enough for that. No admission of guilt, no due process,...just doesn't seem right.

Then again, it's not unheard of, right? And guess if the state believes it has enough to charge him...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't like that just the accusation would be enough for that. No admission of guilt, no due process,...just doesn't seem right.

Then again, it's not unheard of, right? And guess if the state believes it has enough to charge him...
We're not talking about sacking someone on the basis of an accusation, it's suspended with pay.

Guilt can only be determined by the courts, but he should never have has his suspension lifted while it was all ongoing, and making him captain was just ridiculous.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We're not talking about sacking someone on the basis of an accusation, it's suspended with pay.

Guilt can only be determined by the courts, but he should never have has his suspension lifted while it was all ongoing, and making him captain was just ridiculous.
Shit did they make him captain.... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.