Adam Johnson found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child | Sentenced to six years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauldogba

social contracts often supersede science and logic though.
Yes i understand but for me theres a whole load of pretending going on here.
Like to say its not natural for men to be attracted to post pusbescent teenage girls.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's not just that it was illegal. Because the age of consent varies. It's the ethical/physical aspects. The finger can quite easily lead to other things. The age of consent in Brazil is 14. Do people in Brazil, say it should be higher? I've no idea. As an outsider, that sounds despicably low. I think that level of temptation would lead to 'hows your father' 9/10 so I can understand why he might think that way even if others deem it a poor opinion. It's the culture that's the problem that clearly sexualizes people from a young age.

Mint

Although I think early release is a disgrace, I also think AJ was hard done by - he's been made a martyr and a scapegoat. How did he deserve 3 years for just fingering a girl? This was the police trying to make it look like they are doing something about sexual assault.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Although I think early release is a disgrace, I also think AJ was hard done by - he's been made a martyr and a scapegoat. How did he deserve 3 years for just fingering a girl? This was the police trying to make it look like they are doing something about sexual assault.
Probably because she was 15 and he was 29, but that's just a wild guess.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
If you don't remember or know about the case, I suggest you read up about it. He was convicted of grooming as well as sexual activity with a child. He didn't just happen to meet her once.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
How many month's away from being 16 was she? Nobody would care if she was 16.
Doesn't matter because she wasn't 16, and no 29 year old should be fingering 16 year olds anyway.

Mint

The punishment does not fit the crime. She let him do it. Even 1 year is too much.

diarm

At least you're honest I suppose. A martyr to the kiddie fiddler's... I've heard it all now

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
He needs to go play football outside of England, possibly even Europe if he wants a fair chance again.
The crowds will hound him for it no end.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The punishment does not fit the crime. She let him do it. Even 1 year is too much.
Uh, she wasn't old enough to give consent. What she 'let him do' is utterly irrelevant.

He knew she was underage yet went ahead regardless, how exactly do you think he should have been punished? This wasn't a case of 'oops, my bad!' it was him making the clear decision to break the law to cop off with a vulnerable underage fan.

But oh man I guess it's ok as long as she wasn't forced.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They absolutely would. It wouldn't be illegal but a 29 year old trying to cop off with a 16 year old would still be extremely weird, and normal people would view it as such.

As it was, she was 15, and how many months away she was from being legal isn't relevant. He knew her age, he knew it was illegal, he knew she was just a vulnerable fan who looked up to him, and he did it anyway.

He's not a paedophile, but he is a sleazy creep who thought he could get away with whatever.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"Sure, I shot him in the face! But if I'd aimed 6 inches to the right I'd have missed him completely, so I don't see how I can be guilty of murder!"

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
He needs to go play football outside of England, possibly even Europe if he wants a fair chance again.
The crowds will hound him for it no end.
Yea he'd get loads of stick, but I'm sure he could handle that. Think the bigger issue is clubs won't want to take on the reputational risk of signing a sex offender (even though he's served his time), and definitely won't want to risk sponsors leaving and lost revenue associated with that. I remember some sponsors threatened to walk when clubs were looking at Ched Evans, even though he eventually won his appeal.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was certain there was white text somewhere in that shit post. Even if there were, you should have been banned anyway.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m suprised how many people are actually supporting him over on Twitter. The fecker was using his fame to groom and to be intimate with an underage girl, he fully deserved his prison time.

BaseFishing

It's not just that it was illegal. Because the age of consent varies. It's the ethical/physical aspects. The finger can quite easily lead to other things. The age of consent in Brazil is 14. Do people in Brazil, say it should be higher? I've no idea. As an outsider, that sounds despicably low. I think that level of temptation would lead to 'hows your father' 9/10 so I can understand why he might think that way even if others deem it a poor opinion. It's the culture that's the problem that clearly sexualizes people from a young age.
That is just too low isn't it. But then again, I grew up in England and between 14-16 pretty much everyone in my school year was having sex. By the time we all turned 16 it wasn't even that big of a deal. So to say that we were too young to be able to give consent is kind of strange. Then again, it's completely different when you're the same age.

I'm not sure how Adam Johnson will be re-entering society, I doubt any club or brand will have any desire to be associated with him at all. But maybe that's a good thing. It's an interesting question - we, as a society, chose to punish him with his time in prison, and yet we will probably continue to punish him for the rest of his life.

I think I once read somewhere that they did a study and people were actually much more accepting of those who were coming out of prison after being there for many years for a serious, violent crime, than they were of those who didn't serve as much time, but were in prison for anything related to sex. My instincts would probably be the same to be honest, it's just an interesting point to think about.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Just a quick note to you filthy paedos in this thread, I've sent screenshots to the police, enjoy being locked up.

mu4c_20le

I’m suprised how many people are actually supporting him over on Twitter. The fecker was using his fame to groom and to be intimate with an underage girl, he fully deserved his prison time.
I believe the initial reaction was that he was being made an example because of his status. I believe he deserved prison time, but six years is more than what most violent rapists get. He used his status to influence his victim, but I am concerned that it sends the wrong message that manipulaton is somehow worse than straight up violence and brute force.

Halftrack

I can't wrap my head around the whole "well, the law says that 14/15/16 year olds are ready for sex, Johnson did nothing wrong in *insert country*!"

Even if she had been (barely) over the age of consent, she would still have been a far from mature girl who hero-worshiped him, and he manipulated her in order to get sex. There was a massive power-imbalance between them, and while it might not have been a crime, he'd still be a morally bankrupt fecking creep who shouldn't be allowed near anyone under 18 (or dogs).

And then the whole "he's not a paedophile!". No, technically he's not. But he was definitely attracted to the idea of grooming an underage girl to have sex with him (given that he groomed a girl he knew was underage). And he probably still is.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I can't wrap my head around the whole "well, the law says that 14/15/16 year olds are ready for sex, Johnson did nothing wrong in *insert country*!"

Even if she had been (barely) over the age of consent, she would still have been a far from mature girl who hero-worshiped him, and he manipulated her in order to get sex. There was a massive power-imbalance between them, and while it might not have been a crime, he'd still be a morally bankrupt fecking creep who shouldn't be allowed near anyone under 18 (or dogs).

And then the whole "he's not a paedophile!". No, technically he's not. But he was definitely attracted to the idea of grooming an underage girl to have sex with him (given that he groomed a girl he knew was underage). And he probably still is.
He's still a paedo

204Red

He's still a paedo
He's certainly a pervert... and from the looks of it doesn't seem all that sorry for what he did (except for getting caught)

His stupidity cost him his family, his livelihood, probably most of his friends and certainly millions of pounds. I wonder if he thinks it was all worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.