Adam Johnson found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child | Sentenced to six years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Anybody who dares mention the name of the girl involved will be banned from RedCafe forever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35711213

Trial:
  • Count one relates to sexual touching (digital penetration). - found guilty
  • Count two relates to sexual activity with a child - an allegation that she performed a sex act on Johnson. - found not guilty
  • Johnson to appeal the guilty verdict
Judge:
  • Will hand down the sentence in two to three weeks as he is awaiting further information
  • Johnson granted conditional bail - residence and curfew of 7pm to 7am
  • Says real possibility of lengthy custodial sentence (4-10 years)
  • Also says five years could be starting point
Sentencing:
Link on trial:
Sunderland statement: http://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2016/march/club-statement

To respect the legal process, Sunderland AFC was unable to comment on this case until after the jury had delivered its verdict. It has now done so and we thank our supporters for their patience and understanding. We now wish to clarify certain matters which arose during the trial.

Mr. Johnson was suspended by the club immediately following his arrest on March 2, 2015. At that time, the club was advised by police of the broad nature of the allegations against Mr. Johnson, who was being advised at all times by his own legal team. The club felt that the decision to suspend was appropriate at that time, even though he had not then been charged with any offence. Two weeks later, his suspension was lifted after a meeting between the club and the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), and after the club took independent legal advice. The club reached this decision only after carrying out a safeguarding assessment and liaising with relevant agencies.

On 23 April 2015, Mr. Johnson was charged with four offences. The club was informed that it was Mr. Johnson’s intention to defend all the charges, a stance he maintained right up until the first day of trial. The club continued to review the safeguarding procedures it had put in place throughout this time.

On 4 May 2015, an introductory meeting took place between Mr. Johnson, his father and Orlando Pownall QC. Mr. Pownall had not previously met Mr. Johnson. The club’s CEO was present during part of that meeting. During the time that she was present there was no suggestion whatsoever that Mr. Johnson would be changing his plea. Some documents were received relating to the case, which were immediately sent to Mr. Pownall for his attention. However, the club was not in a position to make any judgment on the outcome of the case nor on Mr. Johnson’s decision to defend all the allegations. Following that meeting, Mr. Johnson again confirmed to the club, presumably on advice from his own legal team, that his intention was to defend the charges in their entirety and he was confident of success once all evidence had been considered. He subsequently entered not guilty pleas to all charges on 6 June 2015.

The club did not give evidence either for the prosecution or the defence in this case. It was therefore not present in court when it is understood that a suggestion was made that the club knew all along that Mr. Johnson was intending to change his plea just before trial to enable him to continue to play football for the club and that the club may also have been involved in tactical discussions about the plea. This is utterly without foundation and is refuted in the strongest possible terms. The club never placed any pressure or demands on Mr. Johnson to play football during this process. Decisions in relation to the pleas and the conduct of the trial have been left entirely to Mr. Johnson and his highly experienced and skilled legal team. Mr. Johnson has admitted in evidence that he changed his plea “on legal advice”.

The club only became aware of the change of plea, in relation to two of the four counts on the indictment, on the first day of the trial, after hearing it reported through the media. The club was not advised in advance that Mr. Johnson would plead guilty to any offence. Had the club known that Mr. Johnson intended to plead guilty to any of these charges, then his employment would have been terminated immediately. Indeed, upon learning of the guilty plea on 11 February 2016, the club acted quickly and decisively in terminating Adam Johnson’s contract without notice.

This has been an extremely difficult time for all involved. The victim and her family have endured an unimaginable ordeal in the last 12 months and we trust that they will now be allowed to move on with their lives without further intrusion or public scrutiny.

Following the announcement of today’s verdict and the release of this detailed statement, the club intends to make no further comment.

Will add other stuff to OP that people suggest. Remember RedCafe rules apply to this thread.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
He had already admitted to two charges on the first day also, grooming and sexual contact.

Sunderland have an awful lot to answer for. During the case, it became apparent that the club knew all about it when Chief Executive Margaret Byrne had to admit they met up with him and his lawyer in May last year. Yet they hold off suspending him etc til the day he admitted to two charges in court because he was playing well for them. Not only that, he had the Captain's Armband on a number of occasions, most notably during the derby last year!

Something I didn't think about but that a friend from there pointed out that, through the club's work with the Foundation Of Light, he could have been in contact with children. Pretty despicable from the club.

Big Andy

Bloke
I still fail to see why we couldn't comment on this during the trial, especially as the papers were reporting on what was going on...

It's hardly likely a jury will be surfing RedCafe and thinking "that Big Andy reckons Johnson is a dirty pervert, who should be castrated and bummed for all eternity in prison" and go "Well I thought he was innocent, but now I've read that...."

It seems like its a fecking nanny state this place these days...

saivet

Johnson said he told the club that he kissed the girl. That statement doesn't mention anything about it.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
At least he managed to score against Liverpool as his last act of a footballer

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
That sentence is longer than rape cases. Is that because he's famous?

NinjaFletch

A five year sentence seems an absolute joke.

Hell, I'm not convinced a custodial sentence is necessary.

Oh and Sunderland made themselves look like a fecking embarrassment throughout.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
He's in a lot of trouble. Almost definitely going to jail, and the stigma will hang over his head forever.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
A five year sentence seems an absolute joke.

Hell, I'm not convinced a custodial sentence is necessary.

Oh and Sunderland made themselves look like a fecking embarrassment throughout.
Sunderland went with the presumption of innocence until trial
Am I missing something?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I still fail to see why we couldn't comment on this during the trial, especially as the papers were reporting on what was going on...

It's hardly likely a jury will be surfing RedCafe and thinking "that Big Andy reckons Johnson is a dirty pervert, who should be castrated and bummed for all eternity in prison" and go "Well I thought he was innocent, but now I've read that...."

We like to protect ourselves from any legal risk, Andy. What's worse, a bit of occasional censorship or no caf at all?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

Tbh, we get to use the Caf for free, which I'm sure we're all grateful for. And besides, the risk isn't just ours but also the owners' if anything's deemed illegal or against the interests of justice; so the least we can do is not put the site at risk, really. It's not 'PC gone mad' or anything like that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He had already admitted to two charges on the first day also, grooming and sexual contact.

Sunderland have an awful lot to answer for. During the case, it became apparent that the club knew all about it when Chief Executive Margaret Byrne had to admit they met up with him and his lawyer in May last year. Yet they hold off suspending him etc til the day he admitted to two charges in court because he was playing well for them. Not only that, he had the Captain's Armband on a number of occasions, most notably during the derby last year!

Something I didn't think about but that a friend from there pointed out that, through the club's work with the Foundation Of Light, he could have been in contact with children. Pretty despicable from the club.
I have no problem with the club witholding comment/decisions until it played out in court. That is how it should be. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Regarding Johnson, what an idiot. The assumption in the earlier megathread was mistaken identity after meeting her in a club, not actually pursuing a teenager. That's not even considering all the grown bints throwing themselves at him; he could have just gone with one of them, or remained faithful to his wife. Hope they throw the book at him. Literally and not literally

204Red

There is something to that thought.

Not to excuse Johnson and his actions in any way... more of an indictment on how sh*ttily most rape cases turn out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have no problem with the club witholding comment/decisions until it played out in court. That is how it should be.

Regarding Johnson, what an idiot. The assumption in the earlier megathread was mistaken identity after meeting her in a club, not actually pursuing a teenager. That's not even considering all the grown bints throwing themselves at him; he could have just gone with one of them, or remained faithful to his wife. Hope they throw the book at him. Literally and not literally
Think Judge has said between 5-10 years in prison. This was not mistaking her age as you said, he knew darn well how old she was and still went ahead.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Absolute awful from Johnson. A 15 year old is nowhere near old enough to deal with this and I hope she is ok in the future.

Alarmed at the idea that people would post her name. What the hell?

Hope he gets the correct jail time. I'll let the judge decide that.

He will get less than anyone else because of his fame and fortune if anything, it's worrying what a good lawyer can do for you.

acnumber9

I don't think the club could legally have sacked him. Everyone has the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise. To me it seems like they would've happily ended his contract had they legally been able to do so and that's just what they did at the first opportunity.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Trial:
  • Count one relates to sexual touching. - found guilty
  • Count two relates to sexual activity with a child - an allegation that she performed a sex act on Johnson. - found not guilty

I'm confused, he's not found guilty on the second charges right? That means he's not guilty (or at least proven to be guilty) of rape?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Trial:
  • Count one relates to sexual touching. - found guilty

I'm confused, he's not found guilty on the second charges right? That means he's not guilty (or at least proven to be guilty) of rape?
He admitted to two charges on the very first day. Grooming and one count of sexual contact. That's why Sunderland fired him that day. He's guilty of three charges, not guilty of one.

Jev

It's funny how these things work. In my home country, which is culturally very similar to England, what he's done would undoubtedly be considered morally unacceptable but it wouldn't be a crime because we just happen to have set the age of consent a year lower. Makes you think of how arbitrary many of our laws are. I've been thinking the same thing about polygamy - immigrants to come to Denmark and are forced to split up their families because the husband has two wives. It may seem crazy to us but who are we to say that they can't have an arrangement which satisfies all parties much more than many unhealthy traditional western marriages? Anyway, that's for another time and thread, I suppose.

EDIT: Okay, just read the WhatsApp messages. He's a bit of a creep.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Riz

Disgusting little rat, hope he gets locked away for as long as the judge has warned. Imagine throwing away a stunning girlfriend, a new baby daughter and a Premier League career worth £60,000 a week to mess around with a child. What an absolute moron.

NinjaFletch

Sunderland went with the presumption of innocence until trial
Am I missing something?
They suspended him pending the outcome of the investigation, maybe unnecessary, but that was the decision they made.
They panicked, thought they might go down, and lifted the suspension because he's good at football.
They were aware of his intention to plead guilty to the some of the charges, but continued to play him.

I think they embarked on the right course of action to start with, he should have been suspended with pay pending the outcome of the trial, and had it been left at that, he got preferential treatment because he was good at football.

Oo0AahCantona

I think its pretty clear that Nonceson knew fairly early on he would have to plead guilty and that would terminate his income. Seems like his legal team flip flopped in order for him to see out as much of his salary as possible until he was sacked which considering he was on what at least 60k a week? probably works out close to a cold million.

RonaldoVII

What about him having the captain's armband during a few matches?
Their statement states that they expected him to deny all charges in the trial as he had done from the beginning.

I think 5-10 years seems a lot when you compare the lengths of jail some get for what seems a lot worse, I can't exactly say I know a lot about it though. I'm not condoning his actions in any way but I doubt she's completely innocent in all of it. Are they making out that she is a liar when one of the counts relate to her performing a sex act on him when they found him not guilty of that?

Wasn't aware he pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity at the start too. Is that kissing or was it something else?

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I just dont get it... why?? He's a rich ass footballer and not exactly Joleon Lescott in the looks department, he has a smoking hot partner who is also pregnant. Why the feck would he do something so stupid and throw that all down the drain? Must be a power thing... Stories like this make me sick.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
For many reasons - suprisingly, none of them knee-jerk - I don't actually have a problem if that actually is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.