Adam Johnson found guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child | Sentenced to six years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Are they making out that she is a liar when one of the counts relate to her performing a sex act on him when they found him not guilty of that?
I don't think so. Not being able to establish his guilt beyond any doubt isn't taken as declaring that the accuser is lying, I don't think.

Slops

I just dont get it... why?? He's a rich ass footballer and not exactly Joleon Lescott in the looks department, he has a smoking hot partner who is also pregnant. Why the feck would he do something so stupid and throw that all down the drain? Must be a power thing... Stories like this make me sick.
Just be thankful you don't understand the mindset of a man who knowingly pursues an underage girl, I guess.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think so. Not being able to establish his guilt beyond any doubt isn't taken as declaring that the accuser is lying, I don't think.
Exactly they can't prove what happened in that case, but could in the other incidents. I just hope this girl recovers from all this and in the long term it doesn't come back to haunt his own little girl.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I just dont get it... why?? He's a rich ass footballer and not exactly Joleon Lescott in the looks department, he has a smoking hot partner who is also pregnant. Why the feck would he do something so stupid and throw that all down the drain? Must be a power thing... Stories like this make me sick.
Seems like it so far. Look at Bill Cosby case and for how many years he remained not only unpunished but throughout that time no one could even break the simple silence.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We know how these things generally go: he might well get an eye-catching sentence - just to keep us plebs quiet - but once his lawyers get involved further down the line, and once the authorities bend over backwards in view of "a young man's promising career and guaranteed financial security thwarted by an unfortunate lapse of reason" or some such nonsense, he'll be out within three years maximum. And probably signed up by another club.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What about him having the captain's armband during a few matches?
Unfortunate now that he's pleaded guilty, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. It wouldn't make sense for the club to remove the armband and continue to play him... or maybe it would be. My opinion on this isn't strong.

Slops

We know how these things generally go: he might well get an eye-catching sentence - just to keep us plebs quiet - but once his lawyers get involved further down the line, and once the authorities bend over backwards in view of "a young man's promising career and guaranteed financial security thwarted by an unfortunate lapse of reason" or some such nonsense, he'll be out within three years maximum. And probably signed up by another club.
I can't see him getting much work in his 30s after three years out. Especially after seeing how fans of clubs reacted to the possibility of signing Ched Evans.

sparky

Their statement states that they expected him to deny all charges in the trial as he had done from the beginning.

I think 5-10 years seems a lot when you compare the lengths of jail some get for what seems a lot worse, I can't exactly say I know a lot about it though. I'm not condoning his actions in any way but I doubt she's completely innocent in all of it. Are they making out that she is a liar when one of the counts relate to her performing a sex act on him when they found him not guilty of that?

Wasn't aware he pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity at the start too. Is that kissing or was it something else?
Its not a lot when you realise he will only serve half the sentence, the rest on licence.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Unfortunate now that he's pleaded guilty, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. It wouldn't make sense for the club to remove the armband and continue to play him... or maybe it would be. My opinion on this isn't strong.
They knew he had groomed and kissed this girl. It's very, very poor judgement at the least.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I don't think the club could legally have sacked him. Everyone has the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise. To me it seems like they would've happily ended his contract had they legally been able to do so and that's just what they did at the first opportunity.
A club can legally terminate a contract at any time, but the player has to be paid off, either by coming to a deal, or if the player won't negotiate by paying off his full expected wages over the length of the contract. Perhaps there's some get out that is activated once found guilty of breaking the law like this, or something that made waiting to terminate his contract a financial issue.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm sorry but it should be. This is one of the most heinous crimes someone could commit. The poor girl will deal with this for the rest of her life. He shouldn't be playing for a Premier League club. He just shouldn't. If they knew he willingly kissed a 15 year old I don't know what they were thinking.

SteveJ

Scout
I can't see him getting much work in his 30s after three years out. Especially after seeing how fans of clubs reacted to the possibility of signing Ched Evans.
Ah, I didn't realise he'd be that old (in footballing terms).

Varun

Staff
Why are footballers so thick? He could pay for, if not pull, all sorts of women and yet he goes for a minor? To call him a moron is an insult to all morons out there.

Skills

Snitch
What a way to throw away your career and 20 odd years of hard work.

Hellboy

Why are footballers so thick? He could pay for, if not pull, all sorts of women and yet he goes for a minor? To call him a moron is an insult to all morons out there.
It's called mental illness, them being footballers or not, rich or not, is irrelevant.

Slops

On a side note it just depressed me slightly that I consider a footballer 'old' at 28, when I turn 29 tomorrow.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Considering what happened with Ched Evans, I doubt a club will take him on. Rapists are one thing but I think people who stuff deliberately with underage people are held in even lower regard. He'll be 31 at the least when he leaves prison. The very best he can hope for is League 1, which would still be too good for him.

Varun

Staff
It's called mental illness, them being footballers or not, rich or not, is irrelevant.
Does he have a history of it? Could simple be a case of not refraining when he should have in a one off case. I haven't followed the case really as you can guess :D

Nanook

Considering what happened with Ched Evans, I doubt a club will take him on. Rapists are one thing but I think people who stuff deliberately with underage people are held in even lower regard. He'll be 31 at the least when he leaves prison. The very best he can hope for is League 1, which would still be too good for him.
What he did wouldn't be a crime in most European countries, I'm sure a mid table Serie A or Ligue 1 team would take a decent PL winger on a free. Lee Hughes and Luke McCormack have killed people, kids even, and both returned to football.

Slops

Does he have a history of it? Could simple be a case of not refraining when he should have in a one off case. I haven't followed the case really as you can guess :D
Not a history, but multiple meetings took place and he was actively pursuing her, all after he was completely aware of her age.

SteveJ

Scout
Courtesy of RAWK:

RedRover

I don't think the club could legally have sacked him. Everyone has the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise. To me it seems like they would've happily ended his contract had they legally been able to do so and that's just what they did at the first opportunity.
If he admitted certain things to them (which is what is alleged) that behaviour certainly constitutes gross misconduct and would be grounds for dismissal. His contract will certainly provide for that. They sack him then he has to take legal proceedings to recover money owed. I suspect he wouldn't have given what he's now admitted to. His legal fees in that type of action could run to millions with a small chance of success.

Huge PR own goal from Sunderland here if the allegations are true.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There were rumours that he was known to have a thing for younger girls, but this was when all the details came out, no idea how true it is.

RedRover

I still fail to see why we couldn't comment on this during the trial, especially as the papers were reporting on what was going on...

It's hardly likely a jury will be surfing RedCafe and thinking "that Big Andy reckons Johnson is a dirty pervert, who should be castrated and bummed for all eternity in prison" and go "Well I thought he was innocent, but now I've read that...."

It seems like its a fecking nanny state this place these days...
Because people say libellous things online behind the anonymity of the Internet. They also make stuff up.

Could get very costly for those involved.

Varun

Staff
Not a history, but multiple meetings took place and he was actively pursuing her, all after he was completely aware of her age.
Just clicked on the link and there's a history of WhatsApp chats leading up to the act. Christ. I thought it was sort of a drunken act.
There were rumours that he was known to have a thing for younger girls, but this was when all the details came out, no idea how true it is.
Yeah, tough to know how much of it is real.

redtilded121

Deserves all he gets ,he spent a year calling the kid a liar when the whole area would know who she was.

Enigma_87

You know who
Was just about to ask if he knew she was 15 and saw the whatsapp chat. 60k per week and he's courting 15 year olds. He's an idiot nothing more to add on this one...

Smores

What an idiot. Suprised at the length of the sentence though, I'm guessing legally the sentence is the same whether she'd have been 1 day from 16 or 12?? A minor being a minor.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Courtesy of RAWK:

Was that just made up or was it actually reported somewhere? Based on the level of moderation on this matter I'd avoid posting made up nonsense (for either side of this case).

DrunkenBeaver

He broke the law and should be punished.

That said it is a bit of a '40 in a 30 zone' crime isn't it? I lost my virginity at 15 to someone in their 20s. If he wasn't a footballer I don't think this would have ever got any further than an awkward fumble in a car. I'm not defending him but if we think girls and boys pop their cherries with people strictly their side of the age of consent line then we're kidding ourselves.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Around the time of his arrest I heard quite a lot of stuff from a "source close to the club", so to speak. There's a bit of a divide in the club. You have the foreign players, plus the likes of the very devout John O'Shea, who are very straight laced. Then there is a cohort of a few English players who baffle and revolt them with gross behaviour. They just can't understand the behaviour of them. Johnson is part of that crew, as was this lad for another example:

Fletcher and Wickham were also mentioned during the trial.

SteveJ

Scout
He broke the law and should be punished.

That said it is a bit of a '40 in a 30 zone' crime isn't it? I lost my virginity at 15 to someone in their 20s. If he wasn't a footballer I don't think this would have ever got any further than an awkward fumble in a car. I'm not defending him but if we think girls and boys pop their cherries with people strictly their side of the age of consent line then we're kidding ourselves.
If indeed he has a history of this behaviour aside from the case, then it goes way beyond 'spoilt footballer chases skirt, thinking he'll get away with it' territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.