Adam Wharton - looks destined for big things.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Staff

Has a vast passing range and distribution output; looks like Pirlo at times with that. Is very solid positionally and reads the game well. He was a big component in Palace's upsurge, yet it was Eze and Olise gobbling up most of the plaudits. Bayern have been eyeing him up, and I'm sure the top clubs are all keeping tabs on him.

Definitely one of the sleeper stories of the season. Surprised he's not got a thread yet (was looking for it to post in), so here it is.

Wouldn't be at all disappointed if we went in for him.

Everyone compared to Pirlo ends up being shit - put that in the weird feelings of football thread.

Really been impressed with his ability to retain possession and think he has a big future although I see him far more of an #8 than a #6

Unfortunately missed the boat on him and he played for a club in our backyard. Now we'd have to pay an unreasonable fee for him rather than the 20mil bargain Palace paid.

Like a slight more aggressive Carrick (not saying he's on his level yet).

Think he's a good bet for being a YPOTY nominee next season.

Has a vast passing range and distribution output; looks like Pirlo at times with that. Is very solid positionally and reads the game well. He was a big component in Palace's upsurge, yet it was Eze and Olise gobbling up most of the plaudits. Bayern have been eyeing him up, and I'm sure the top clubs are all keeping tabs on him.
I read that as well, but think his combination of age, contract length and nationality will put the asking fee at 100m+. Which Bayern will never ever pay for a "talent".

Unfortunately missed the boat on him and he played for a club in our backyard. Now we'd have to pay an unreasonable fee for him rather than the 20mil bargain Palace paid.

Like a slight more aggressive Carrick (not saying he's on his level yet).

Yeah, this is really the kind of transfer we should have been looking to make in terms of building a team that can challenge again in 3/4 years, especially with our chronic issues in deep midfield. I actually think he and Mainoo would make a great midfield duo one day, especially as Wharton is left footed. Would give you great balance

£20m isn't exactly cut price compared to yesteryear, but in today's market it's good business for one of the best young midfielders in the championship. The only reason he didn't cost more was because he hadn't had the exposure someone in the EPL would have got. Blackburn would have been able to hold out for a lot more if they were in the top tier when Palace came sniffing.

Although, there is every chance we were looking at him but he thought Palace were a better career choice at the moment. Can't say he was wrong, as that half a season there booked him a spot at the Euros.

Will cost way too much to sign him now. Best move on and make sure we don't miss out on the next one.

I will use this thread as an opportunity to gloat that I had him down as one of my underrated gems we should be looking at in that thread.

We literally have no scouting. It pisses the f*ck out of me that we're never close to any such smart signings. The Championship should ideally be a very important league for scouting. So many high quality players have been signings from there in the last 5 years or so.

Decent pass on him but not really getting the hype outside of that.

Yeah, this is really the kind of transfer we should have been looking to make in terms of building a team that can challenge again in 3/4 years, especially with our chronic issues in deep midfield. I actually think he and Mainoo would make a great midfield duo one day, especially as Wharton is left footed. Would give you great balance

£20m isn't exactly cut price compared to yesteryear, but in today's market it's good business for one of the best young midfielders in the championship. The only reason he didn't cost more was because he hadn't had the exposure someone in the EPL would have got. Blackburn would have been able to hold out for a lot more if they were in the top tier when Palace came sniffing.

Although, there is every chance we were looking at him but he thought Palace were a better career choice at the moment. Can't say he was wrong, as that half a season there booked him a spot at the Euros.

Will cost way too much to sign him now. Best move on and make sure we don't miss out on the next one.

Yep completely agree and exactly the type of 6 we need to pair with Kobbie/add to the squad there are however reasonable (though possibly not identical) talents abroad who should be available for similar reasonable fees. We missed out on Arthur Vermeeren who's gone to athletico Madrid for an identical fee but off the top of my head you have Joey Veerman of PSV (older and less aggressive but still quality) and Gourna-Douath of Salzburg both can perform similar roles as controlling 6's which is a type of player we need.

We literally have no scouting. It pisses the f*ck out of me that we're never close to any such smart signings. The Championship should ideally be a very important league for scouting. So many high quality players have been signings from there in the last 5 years or so.

Well that’s not ‘literally’ true. When Palace were spending 20m on Wharton in January we couldn’t even squeeze a loan striker into our budget, so him going to Palace isn’t necessarily a testament to us being unaware of him. We miss the boat for various reasons. By the same token, Bayern who appear to be interested also have no scouting, as does any club who may subsequently try and sign him from Palace who didn’t simply buy him from Blackburn for cheaper.

Anyway, he looks sensational. Like a younger Declan, but even more ability on the ball. Whether it’s a future race we win remains to be seen, but he looks an almost certain United target. Fits our profile to a tee, and we’ll be knocking on Palace’s door for him at some point if he continues as is.

Players like? Manchester United tried it with Dan James and that was financially a succes.

Can Manchester United offer Championship players the playing time and development that other clubs can offer those championship players? Fans were (and some still are) ready to ditch Hojlund because he didnt have a fantastic start.

Think we should just bite the bullet and try and get him this summer, yeah he was cheaper in January but hindsight is 20:20. With him and Mainoo we'd have two outstanding young midfield talents both barely touching 20. If we don't get him or Neves then I'd personally be giving Gore a shot, in my opinion he was every bit as good as Mainoo, I actually think he has the highest ceiling out of any of our young midfielders.

Players like? Manchester United tried it with Dan James and that was financially a succes.

Can Manchester United offer Championship players the playing time and development that other clubs can offer those championship players? Fans were (and some still are) ready to ditch Hojlund because he didnt have a fantastic start.

Olise and Eze are 2 that spring to mind.

We could certainly have given him minutes this year with our midfield injuries this season.

Could develop into the perfect partner to Mainoo. Don't see us getting him, but we should've got him in January and that's not just hindsight, plenty of people rated him from Blackburn (and he's class in FM, so yeah).

Pirlo and players like that? I dont think so.

I think his bread and butter is that he likes a challenge. He's a ball winner, he'll make tackles and steal the ball and hopefully he'll fill out and be physically stronger in the future. He's capable of nice long range passes and quite composed on the ball. I think thats what he is and will be. The guy you pick at DM like Rice who can still do it all with the ball, but you can trust him with the majority defensive load and pick attackers around him.

He's started 15 premier league games and he had a great start for his first few games, then slightly lowered as time went on.

Edit - To be fair he turned it around again and was back to his best for the last 7 games. So it was more like a good 4 first games, then not quite as good for 6 or so games and then back on top form for the last 7

Last edited:
Olise and Eze are 2 that spring to mind.

One has been playing for Palace since 2020 and one has been playing for Palace since 2021. They are both great players and would improve our current team but Eze has been able to play and develop at Palace in the Premier League for four full seaons and Olise for three full seasons. I think they would be very different players if both of them joined Manchester United at the time the joined Palace.

Look at Amad for example. If he joined Crystal Palace instead of Manchester United he could be a player that we were desperate to sign. I think it is good for young players to develop at clubs were they are allowed to lose a ball, miss a chance and lose quite a few games. You have to be a very special player to do your developing in the Manchester United first team.

Could develop into the perfect partner to Mainoo. Don't see us getting him, but we should've got him in January and that's not just hindsight, plenty of people rated him from Blackburn (and he's class in FM, so yeah).

On here its hindsight. Nobody was talking about him before Palace on here. And yes of course I'd like to hold our scouts and transfer department to a higher standard than this forum, but history says thats not going to happen.

He's English so Palace will demand the GDP of a small country for him.

Can't see him moving until at least 2025 and it will be for Rice money.

We should pay whatever it takes to get him in this summer.

Can't see him moving until at least 2025 and it will be for Rice money.

If we recruit well this summer and get CL next season we could be in a good place to sign him. Let him get another full season of PL football under his belt.

Dan James was a punt that eventually paid a dividend, so was good business.
Yes, you are correct, signing for United means, in some 'fans' eyes, an immediate impact in premiership football, which Wharton may not have achieved initially, but seeing how he performed against Bosnia, it seems he has a very good future.
We really don't give any player time to come to terms with premiership football, so if we did pick up a player from the championship, he would be no good sitting on the bench.

Was waiting for this thread, have a day off you transfer muppets. 15 games for Palace. 15. And 30 minutes against Bosnia.

The above is exactly it btw. We’re surely positioning ourselves as the go-to ‘next step’ for any top Championship prospects. Big interest in Jobe Bellingham this summer as well apparently (along with Spurs and Brentford)…why would you go anywhere else? :)

Last edited:
Crystal Palace now has done some very good business over the last few years & now with a progressive manager in place I feel that they could challenge for Europe next season quite easily. I guess it all depends on hanging on to the young guns that they recruited. Snagging Wharton from Blackburn for 20mil was a masterstroke !

If we recruit well this summer and get CL next season we could be in a good place to sign him. Let him get another full season of PL football under his belt.
Agreed. I don't think they'll be picking up the phone at all this summer. We should try and nab Archie Gray from Leeds instead, they need the money and he can also cover right back.

He's not as good as Mats Wiefer of Feyenoord ( i'm saying that as an Ajax Supporter). I'm hoping that Arno does not take him to Liverpool

Looks like the absolute prototype Guardiola midfielder. Bet they get him next summer if Pep decides to extend his contract.

Palace surely won’t even pick up the phone unless you’re offering Rice/Caicedo/Enzo/Grealish money if he develops further this coming season.

We managed to nab Phil Jones from the chicken farmers, what happened with this guy.

Makes much more sense than Joao Neves.

In essence (and in hindsight) it would have been possible to pick up both Wharton and Archie Gray for under 50mil, so comfortably 10mil less than what's being quoted for Neves which is precisely why I don't like the idea of us buying players from Benfica. The fees and difference between both leagues presents a challenge.

Looks like the absolute prototype Guardiola midfielder. Bet they get him next summer if Pep decides to extend his contract.

Palace surely won’t even pick up the phone unless you’re offering Rice/Caicedo/Enzo/Grealish money if he develops further this coming season.
Depends on whether there's a release clause in his contract.

It seems as though Eze and Olise could both be available in the £60-70m range which doesn't tally with some of the ludicrous fees we've seen in recent years.

Depends on whether there's a release clause in his contract.

It seems as though Eze and Olise could both be available in the £60-70m range which doesn't tally with some of the ludicrous fees we've seen in recent years.

Those clauses are also how Palace encourage players to sign there. They are actively marketing themselves as a stepping stone to young talents.

Those clauses are also how Palace encourage players to sign there. They are actively marketing themselves as a stepping stone to young talents.
Same for Mohammed Kudus in West Ham, and same for Haaland in BVB. These young players have good advisors. They joined clubs they can develop but at the same time they can move up to bigger clubs for a "relatively" reasonable fee.