Adama Traore

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you were told a player in the EPL came from La Masia and you had to guess which, how many attempts do you think it would have taken you before you said Adama?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just a nothing player. A really fast runner though.

kaku06

Big oiled lump. There should be some kind of basic football intelligence tests for footballers before they play top flight football to weed out the dumb cnuts playing at this level. The amount of pure frustration and misery they cause to football fans who watch the sport out of pure love for the game is a crime against humanity and a crime against sport itself.

BerryBerryShrew

In fairness to Adama, he is a world class dribbler with very good close control. People saying that he's just a fast athlete are doing him a bit of a disservice- otherwise Usain Bolt would have been a Premiership level player when he tried his hand at football after retirement. And Rashford is rapid as well, and we all see how loose his touch is while dribbling whereas Traore can go past defenders for fun.

Unfortunately, that's his only attribute. When he was younger, everyone assumed he'd be a phenom when he developed his footballing IQ and his decision making improved. Here we are still waiting almost a decade later. Looks like it just ain't gonna happen.

That being said, I still wonder if his productivity could skyrocket if a top coach (Klopp, Pep, EtH) took him under their wing. Even Conte could do interesting things if he converted him to wingback (like he did with Victor Moses). But maybe he is just a lost cause which seems like a shame.

Chief123

Dan James is significantly better at football than Adama Traore
“Significantly” is a bit of a stretch. In fact I don’t even agree he is a better player by any margin. He couldn’t even make it at Leeds with fans crying they’d been robbed and is now at Fulham having played in virtually every game with a total of 0 assists and 0 goals.

I would have Traore over Dan James any day.

Handré1990

“Significantly” is a bit of a stretch. In fact I don’t even agree he is a better player by any margin. He couldn’t even make it at Leeds with fans crying they’d been robbed and is now at Fulham having played in virtually every game with a total of 0 assists and 0 goals.

Yep, the hyperbole is strong on here

Trequarista10

He got 4 goals and 9 assists in one PL season, so he is capable.

I always thought if he played back in the 442 days he would have been much better off, just tasked with stretching the play and running at his full back all game long. He's not so suited to being an inverted forward, and wing back role doesn't give him the license to dribble so much (nor would he have the stamina either).

Chief123

I always thought if he played back in the 442 days he would have been much better off, just tasked with stretching the play and running at his full back all game long. He's not so suited to being an inverted forward, and wing back role doesn't give him the license to dribble so much (nor would he have the stamina either).
Agree with a lot of this. Would defo have been a beast in a traditional 442. His crossing is very good. Him taking on a full back and whipping in a cross to two strikers would have been a weapon.

phelans shorts

Dan James is capable of controlling a football. Significantly more than Traore is capable of.

UpWithRivers

He's not a starter but he could be a brilliant super sub. Bring him on with 15/20 mins to go and he could cause chaos and change the game. Could be worth 6/10 points a season.

CM

The amount of opportunities he had to do something on the counter without actually doing anything was almost impressive

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's not a starter but he could be a brilliant super sub. Bring him on with 15/20 mins to go and he could cause chaos and change the game. Could be worth 6/10 points a season.
Wolves have tried that. It doesn't work because he's shite.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

1 season wonder like Michu and the likes. David Bentley looked like the next big thing at one point.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Dan James is capable of controlling a football. Significantly more than Traore is capable of.
Traore has great control of a football while it's at his feet, far better than Dan James. Indeed far better than the vast majority of footballers. The reason he's so effective as a dribbler isn't just because he's fast and strong, he's also got fantastic close control and ability to manipulate the ball in small spaces at speed. Unfortunately every other aspect of his game is absolute dumpster tier so it all comes to nothing the vast majority of times.

At least, that was all the case a couple of seasons ago. I haven't actually watched him for the last couple so have no idea if anything has changed in his game since then. Maybe even that one strong aspect has declined.

caid

A world class dribbler would be in the mould of Messi, prime Hazard, Neymar et al.

You really think Adama's dribbling is on their level??
Your bar for world class is pretty high. Why split hairs when we both probably agree on his overall level.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't understand why his managers keep playing him as a forward :houllier:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He is a weird player. Usually pace merchants are technically bad and have to completely rely on their pace to be threatening.

Adama Traore on the other hand is an excellent dribbler and doesn't even always necessarily need his pace to beat a man. And yet, he is still so shit despite what seems to be good technical fundamentals.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't understand why his managers keep playing him as a forward :houllier:
His best trait is ball progression in the middle third, but I think he’s too lazy and gets gassed too quick to play deeper. Really strange player

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He probably is, hes just hopeless at everything else.
He's not a world class dribbler.

World class has to mean one of the best in the world, and he isn't.

TheLiverBird

His Stats are atrocious for someone who can apparently change a game

On a good day he’s all action no execution…..well that’s no good is it

it’s all good and well on “occasion” being able to run rings around opposing teams, but if nothing comes of it…..keep running fella, you’ll still lose

it’s the most pointless skill set to have when you practically have zero effective execution

there was a time when he did look like a potential beast, but that was 3-4 years ago when he was 22-23, he’s 26 now (still not old) and his stats have fallen off the cliff side quite literally

whitbyviking

Weirdly enough with Traore the manager who he performed best for was that well know attacking football genius Tony Pulis. To be fair to Tony he realised Traore wasn’t the brightest so basically tasked him with attacking threatening areas, mainly directly into the penalty area. I seem to remember his crossing attempts were mostly the “cross-shot” type hard and low across the box. He was never asked to float a ball in or pick out a man from the few games I remember of Middlesbrough.

He has strengths, just seems most managers don’t play fully to them, or he believes his own hype and doesn’t listen.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He is a weird player. Usually pace merchants are technically bad and have to completely rely on their pace to be threatening.

Adama Traore on the other hand is an excellent dribbler and doesn't even always necessarily need his pace to beat a man. And yet, he is still so shit despite what seems to be good technical fundamentals.
the plague of little footballing intelligence

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I believe his contract expires next summer. I wonder if Conte is still interested in his service.

whitbyviking

Peak Traore was under Tony Pulis of all people at Middlesbrough, then he got his big move and it’s not gone well.

Talking to the old fellar and a few others they think Pulis essentially made an “idiot proof” plan for Traore and the simplification kept things easy for him. It seemed like his only instruction was to drive for the box every time he got the ball and put the ball into the danger area without ever lifting his head or stopping to think who would be or was there. Worked in the Championship, but obviously an extremely limited way of playing.Watched him in a few games and he was a genuine cheat code at times, could give anyone big yards and still get the ball ahead of them, very hard to stop for Championship defenders too, and risky to challenge him in the box.