Adama Traore

Sweet Square

Nope. Not true. Liverpool have been one of the two dominant teams in recent years without oil state funding.
A bit off the thread topic but they’ve won one league title and last season finished 3rd. If they don’t win the league this season then they’ve been as dominant in premier league football as Blackburn Rovers in the 90’s.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A bit off the thread topic but they’ve won one league title and last season finished 3rd. If they don’t win the league this season then they’ve been as dominant in premier league football as Blackburn Rovers in the 90’s.
Prior to that they won the league and were a point off first the year before.

Sweet Square

Prior to that they won the league and were a point off first the year before.
Before Blackburn won their league title they finished 2nd behind United(Although 8 points off)

Plus Blackburn never got anywhere in Europe.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Before Blackburn won their league title they finished 2 behind United(Although 8 points off)
They weren't anything like Liverpool. Liverpool pushed City to a ridiculous point record. And then they won the league the following year. The only reason they finished lower last season was owing to a big defensive injury crisis, but now they're back.

So yes they most certainly are one of the two most dominant sides in recent years.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Before Blackburn won their league title they finished 2nd behind United(Although 8 points off)
In terms of pure results yes, Blackburn looks like Liverpool.
But that would be a poor analysis, Blackburn was never considered a top team, not even when they won the league, as they did poor in Europe, and they never pushed for 100 points like Liverpool.

Sweet Square

They weren't anything like Liverpool. Liverpool pushed City to a ridiculous point record. And then they won the league the following year. The only reason they finished lower last season was owing to a big defensive injury crisis, but now they're back.

So yes they most certainly are one of the two most dominant sides in recent years.
And Blackburn beat the greatest manager of all time to a league title(Shearer suffered a bad injury when they finished second, also every team gets injuries) I don’t know what you count as recent years but they took one title off of a dominate city team and have won the same number of CL titles as Chelsea.

If they push City come the end of this season then yeah there might be a case but calling a team dominate when they’ve won one league title is odd imo.

It’s been City league for a while now(like it was United before)

In terms of pure results yes, Blackburn looks like Liverpool.
But that would be a poor analysis, Blackburn was never considered a top team, not even when they won the league, as they did poor in Europe, and they never pushed for 100 points like Liverpool.
The year Liverpool won the league they lost in the round of 16 to Atlético Madrid. They didn’t reach a semi final in any of the cup competitions(Also Blackburn won the league with 89 points which isn’t small).

Clearly Klopp Liverpool are a better football team than 90’s Blackburn but in terms of dominance of English football there’s isn’t much between them atm.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You sure you've understood the meaning of the word "literally"?
You still have performance threads from the last 2-3 years go check them out to see what kind of drivel was written about certain players when they were playing poor and you had people defending their honor like their the second coming of jesus. I've been criticizing both Rashford and Maguire for over a year now but some seem to think that both only started playing badly this season. How fecking blind do you have to be??

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Obviously if the clubs with more resources dIt does matter because it is the balance of power, especially if it is because of extremely rich people or because those who are top clubs do things wrong.
o things well it is more difficult for there to be a change of
Nope. Not true. Liverpool have been one of the two dominant teams in recent years without oil state funding.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter why the balance of power shifts. The point is that it shifts. Which hasn’t happened in Spain for decades.
It does matter because it is the balance of power, especially if it is because of extremely rich people or because those who are top clubs do things bad.

It is difficult for there to be a change of power if Barcelona has players like Piqué, Puyol, Alba, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi from the academy and above that you sign people like Alves, Neymar, Suárez, Rakitic, etoo, Ronaldinho and a few others.

Also with R.Madrid and signings such as Ramos, Marcelo, CR, Modric, Kross..

In addition, a change in dominance does not mean that a league is better, see the year that Leicester won for example.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
So, how about that Adama Traore, then?
Great player that gets underestimated because he is so fast and big. I think he's still to hit his best form, but when he was in form in 2020 for several games, his dribbling and other touches were far greater than you'd expect from a player seen as a mindless sprinter. I don't know why the new Wolves manager didn't like him as much and what happened last season, but Barça got a good scoop for 30m (?). I like that he's doing well right now, even if it's for Barcelona. Hope he shows people that he's capable of so much more than being fast.

Jackal981

You guys can get a room for yourself. This is Adama thread. How has a thread talking about Adama spiralled into PL vs La Liga and Liverpool Blackburn comparison ? :lol:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Anyway, it doesn’t matter why the balance of power shifts. The point is that it shifts. Which hasn’t happened in Spain for decades.
Chelsea was winning the league in 2005, 2006 era and just won a few years ago.

man city have literally won just as many league titles in the last ten years as any Spanish team.
Epl is a one horse league, with even more lopsided title races on average than la liga

Righteous Steps

Chelsea was winning the league in 2005, 2006 era and just won a few years ago.

man city have literally won just as many league titles in the last ten years as any Spanish team.
Epl is a one horse league, with even more lopsided title races on average than la liga
When is the last time La Liga had a race where both teams finished on 95+ points?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
When is the last time La Liga had a race where both teams finished on 95+ points?
Came close many many times, 2012, 2017, 2011, 2016 and that’s all in the last decade.

often times one team has 96 points the other 92, or one with 93 and the other with 91.

the EPL title race statistically has been decided much earlier than la liga when looking at the last decade. It’s even worse in the last 5 years.

miked99

I struggle to think of a player that's been so lauded for doing so little. Seems he just has to have a litle patch of two or three decent games every two or three months and that's enough to keep the legend going. He's a gimmick of a player. If he couldn't run fast, what would you be left with?

3 goals and 3 assists from 41 apperances last season.
1 goal and 0 assists from 23 appearances this season, prior to his move.

That's really poor. Not like he's playing for Norwich.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Absolute rubbish. Coutinho has been doing much better with Aston Villa than he had with Barca, meanwhile Hazard has fallen off a cliff since he cam to La Liga. The nonsense about the PL is reaching ridiculous levels. La Liga is weaker than PL, but the PL is petty dross after City and Liverpool like many of the other top leagues.

Mid-table teams in EPL aren't much better than mid table teams in La Liga.
Since 2011 Spain clubs won 7 times the Europa League and EPL club won 3 times.
I struggle to think of a player that's been so lauded for doing so little. Seems he just has to have a litle patch of two or three decent games every two or three months and that's enough to keep the legend going. He's a gimmick of a player. If he couldn't run fast, what would you be left with?

3 goals and 3 assists from 41 apperances last season.
1 goal and 0 assists from 23 appearances this season, prior to his move.

That's really poor. Not like he's playing for Norwich.
Happy to see him playing well. He is excellent in driving the ball upfield and create space for others. He is always double teamed. His assists are going up because Barcelona has the players to finish the chances he created. He is an excellent winger for Barcelona. With him and Auba Barcelona finally is playing with lots of pace now.

justsomebloke

You still have performance threads from the last 2-3 years go check them out to see what kind of drivel was written about certain players when they were playing poor and you had people defending their honor like their the second coming of jesus. I've been criticizing both Rashford and Maguire for over a year now but some seem to think that both only started playing badly this season. How fecking blind do you have to be??
They did both start playing badly only this season. I think you may be the one with the eyesight problem mate.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They did both start playing badly only this season. I think you may be the one with the eyesight problem mate.
I have? Rashford has been crazy inconsistent to downright shambles this season since the PSG game which was in late 2020. Maguire was also crazy inconsistent to downright clownesque since we bought him. The number of excuses these 2 got from some of you lot was crazy. From 'he's maybe playing injured', 'maybe he has mental issues' to he can't play on the right...
No need to pretend it didn't happen.

Yagami

Good post resistant
But just no football intelligence. Which is why he's such an ineffective player despite all his technical skill and physical prowess.
Maybe, mate. I just think there's so much potential and upside in having a player like him in your team that he's more than worth the punt for a big club. Personally, I think we would've benefited having him just because we have had no one bar an in form Martial able to beat his man consistently since, who, prime Nani or Valencia, and having a player like that just opens up new dimensions for the team.

I have? Rashford has been crazy inconsistent to downright shambles this season since the PSG game which was in late 2020. Maguire was also crazy inconsistent to downright clownesque since we bought him. The number of excuses these 2 got from some of you lot was crazy. From 'he's maybe playing injured', 'maybe he has mental issues' to he can't play on the right...
There's a difference between inconsistent and bad. Before this season, bar the start of that season after the Greece incident, Maguire was fantastic. Before his injury against Wolves, Rashford showed a tonne of potential, but lacked consistency until it appeared like it was coming together in the first half of the 19/20 season before said Wolves game. Neither were bad.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The caf scouts are garbage and only look at goals and assists.

He is a really good player and would have improved us big time.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Excuses can be justified at times. Lindelof was clearly worse last season. I suspect some of it was the back injury and not just the fact he was playing with a clown.

I did buy the Rashford injuries excuse, because well, he literally was injured and had to get surgery. It's not exactly far fetched if it coincides with the drop in performances.

Players aren't robots.

Redlyn

The caf scouts are garbage and only look at goals and assists.

He is a really good player and would have improved us big time.
G/A are kind of important for an attacking player though, or at least key chances.
There is no point adding a somewhat limited player to our long list of limited players just because they are better than what we have. We need to get the right player for the long term.

Barca are now complaining about his end product after an explosive start. So water is indeed wet afterall.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
May be Spurs will be still interested in his service if he is ok to switch his role to be a wing back?

gajender

no guarantees conte will even be there. If there is a lucrative job opening (i.e. PSG) he is gone.
If Tottenham are ready to back him in summer which ideally they should , then I don't see him moving anywhere going toe to toe against the best Managers in the World with some financial backing in summer must be attractive proposition for him .

SAFMUTD

Still remember many here on the caf rated him. Such a poor footballer, his phyisical skills are inversely proportional to his football brain. If we could only merge his body and Mata's mind we'd have a damn of a player.