Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of of the top 3 positions RVP and Mata also haven't been performing well. Only Falcao should be guaranteed a spot.
Not sure we should be picking someone on the basis that he's been playing no worse than other players who have also been playing badly.

With Rooney out, though, there's a place up for grabs. Hererra was shite last night but I'm willing to accept it was some lingering problem with his ribs. If he trains well all week I'd be tempted to go with Carrick, Blind and Herrera in midfield with Falcao, Di Maria and A.N.Other up top. Januzaj really hasn't staked much of a claim for that last spot IMO. Even the widely despised Ashley Young looked more of a threat than he was last night.

Rezyuz

edit: This video is missing a couple of his touches. He did a croqueta in the match that should have ended up in a foul.
Yeah i did jizz a little on the croquet, wish he started realized what type of skills suit him and his slow paced dribbling style like Iniesta does. Croqueta is just perfect for him to abuse, and not the bloody step overs.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And Sterling has one more season in his legs.

It is weird that people can't accept that Januzaj in october isn't ready, he maybe will in May, but at the moment is not.
And i would add that his game would have been different with Rooney and Falcao, because Mata and Van Persie are dreadful at the moment.
Mata and Van weren't the problem for Januzaj last night. He just looked rusty. His touch was poor on various occasions and he went for the wrong option a few times. It's no biggie, young and learnin' and he's not played much this season.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Based on what, exactly?

And in what position?
What he brings to the table as a player, he is direct, he beats players one on one ad he doesn't hide. I would play a 4-3-3. Blind needs to be protected and right now playing two strikers is pointless when we can't protect our defence. Add to that the fact that I feel we can't have passengers like RVP and Mata in the Chelsea game, that is how I would lineup.

DDG- Rafael- Jones- Rojo- Shaw Blind-Carrick-Herrera-ADM-Januzaj-Falcao

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mata and Van weren't the problem for Januzaj last night. He just looked rusty. His touch was poor on various occasions and he went for the wrong option a few times. It's no biggie, young and learnin' and he's not played much this season.
They weren't the problem but it's easier to play around in-form players. With Rooney and Falcao you have more aggressive players, faster players, they are actually worrying for the defense.

shabz

Whether or not he has played much this season, there still has to be some common sense in some of the decisions he was taking last night. He is still young and naive in his play and hopefully yesterday was a big wake up call for him. He cant try to beat every person and take shots when there are better options on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What he brings to the table as a player, he is direct, he beats players one on one ad he doesn't hide. I would play a 4-3-3. Blind needs to be protected and right now playing two strikers is pointless when we can't protect our defence. Add to that the fact that I feel we can't have passengers like RVP and Mata in the Chelsea game, that is how I would lineup.

DDG- Rafael- Jones- Rojo- Shaw Blind-Carrick-Herrera-ADM-Januzaj-Falcao
I'd actually be tempted to play something similar myself, despite his poor peformance last night.

Can see Mourinho sticking Hazard on whichever flank Januzaj plays on though. With Shaw and Rafael both below par, that could get very ugly indeed.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He seems to struggle to play his proper game when he isn't main man. It's like his head is in a million places.
Which is strange considering how young he is.

ipodnani

I'd actually be tempted to play something similar myself, despite his poor peformance last night.

Can see Mourinho sticking Hazard on whichever flank Januzaj plays on though. With Shaw and Rafael both below par, that could get very ugly indeed.
I agree with that line-up but LVG doesn't seem to be willing to drop RvP so any line-up is likely to have to accommodate Falcao, Rooney and RvP unfortunately. It's a shame that we can't see 4-3-3 with Falcao as the main man up top as I think that would be a much more balanced side...

In Rainbows

Whether or not he has played much this season, there still has to be some common sense in some of the decisions he was taking last night. He is still young and naive in his play and hopefully yesterday was a big wake up call for him. He cant try to beat every person and take shots when there are better options on.
That wasn't his problem yesterday. He didn't really try to dribble much and wasn't really dispossessed when dribbling. He won like 2 fouls and dribbled past like 2 players. Lost the ball twice so the actual dribbling he did wasn't a problem. He could have maybe tried to dribble more.

His problem was his passiveness after he had dwindled on the ball. He did some good passes that could have led to great scoring chances (they didn't in the end) after dwindling on the ball, but most of the time he was just passive. He needed to speed up his attacks and tried to look to combine with 1-2s after he repeatedly passed the ball back. He mostly hid after passing it back.

Verminator

I know we love giving youth a chance here, and Adnan has the potential to be an excellent player for us, but should he start against Chelsea?
No. Not on current form.
There is more chance of an out of form Mata or RVP, or dare I say Young, putting in a decent performance against the league's top team, than a rusty 19 year old, low on confidence.
It is frustrating that some people see Adnan's development as a higher priority tha giving our team the best chance of securing a European spot.
That is why you get the other extreme from others, in response.
It is like an opinion of one extreme must be balanced out by one equally as extreme, but opposite.
Chelsea would eat him alive at the moment. He needs his appearances to be chosen carefully. Unfortunately, the way we are defending at the moment, we don't have the option to offer a cameo at 3-0 up, with 30 mins to go. So instead of forcing it, and risking destroying his confidence completely, we need to be patient, and wait until we can ease him in.

Sam

He's got as much potential. Do you not realize it was his first start since last season for us, and there was nobody in the team who actually played well anyways? He's just started his second season and has played less then half as many games as Sterling has at a professional level. Give him a fecking chance, he showed how brilliant he was last year and how much potential he has.

Ronaldo would have been gone half way through his first season if it was up to some of you lot ffs.
I think thats just wishful thinking from United fans.

Sterling is on a completely different level.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I know we love giving youth a chance here, and Adnan has the potential to be an excellent player for us, but should he start against Chelsea?
No. Not on current form.
There is more chance of an out of form Mata or RVP, or dare I say Young, putting in a decent performance against the league's top team, than a rusty 19 year old, low on confidence.
It is frustrating that some people see Adnan's development as a higher priority tha giving our team the best chance of securing a European spot.
It is like an opinion of one extreme must be balanced out by one equally as extreme, but opposite.
Chelsea would eat him alive at the moment. He needs his appearances to be chosen carefully. Unfortunately, the way we are defending at the moment, we don't have the option to offer a cameo at 3-0 up, with 30 mins to go. So instead of forcing it, and risking destroying his confidence completely, we need to be patient, and wait until we can ease him in.
On current form? Januzaj looked off pace yesterday and still managed to do a lot more than Mata. On current form Januzaj starts over Mata and probably RVP as well and that's without having the luxury of having started most games this season.

A rusty inexperienced 19 year old will remain a rusty inexperienced 19 year old if you leave him on the bench. Bollocks to all this about easing him in and what not. He's a brilliant talent and someone who's eager to impress. He's had 1 start in 9 games this season. Just play him and he'll blossom.

JaffyJoe

No. Not on current form.
Laughable really.

How can he be described as out of form when this is his first start? RVP and Mata have not earned a starting spot after the performances they have put in. Why would you assume that wanting Adnan to start means a fan is putting him before the club ? We are talking about what players bring to the table and how the team should line up tactically. Mata will be a non-factor against Chelsea, he struggles to get in the game against the likes of West Brom and Everton. A footballer offers certain characteristics whether they are in form or not and what Adnan brings is more preferable to Mata and Young.

P.S if you think a bad game against Chelsea would destroy his confidence you have his character all wrong.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Laughable really.

How can he be described as out of form when this is his first start? RVP and Mata have not earned a starting spot after the performances they have put in. Why would you assume that wanting Adnan to start means a fan is putting him before the club ? We are talking about what players bring to the table and how the team should line up tactically. Mata will be a non-factor against Chelsea, he struggles to get in the game against the likes of West Brom and Everton. A footballer offers certain characteristics whether they are in form or not and what Adnan brings is more preferable to Mata and Young.

P.S if you think a bad game against Chelsea would destroy his confidence you have his character all wrong.
You don't need to judge the form of players by their starts only. It's usually substitute appearances that give you the best idea about fringe players who might be looking sharp and ready to displace a first XI player. Let's just say that - based on all his sub appearances this season - the poor performance last night wasn't entirely unexpected.

Adebesi

I dont think that is what's happening at all. If people see Januzaj's development as a high priority its because having him firing on all cylinders is good for the club - and probably more likely to help us get into the top 4 this season.

Speak

I'm warming to the idea of loaning him out.
Would be best for him. Only two drawbacks.

January loans suck. Teams are under five times more pressure.
And secondly, the other options of the bench here aren't any better.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
You don't need to judge the form of players by their starts only. It's usually substitute appearances that give you the best idea about fringe players who might be looking sharp and ready to displace a first XI player. Let's just say that - based on all his sub appearances this season - the poor performance last night wasn't entirely unexpected.
That's really hash. More to the point was he any worse in those appearances than say Mata who's being afforded full games? He was good against Swnsea and once Wilson came on he was good against MK Dons as well. Barely got any time against Burnley and by the time he came on against Leicester we had zero control in the game.

JaffyJoe

I think fans read TOO much into sub appearances, each one it needs context. Much easier to judge players with their starts. Well for me anyway.

Verminator

On current form? Januzaj looked off pace yesterday and still managed to do a lot more than Mata. On current form Januzaj starts over Mata and probably RVP as well and that's without having the luxury of having started most games this season.

A rusty inexperienced 19 year old will remain a rusty inexperienced 19 year old if you leave him on the bench. Bollocks to all this about easing him in and what not. He's a brilliant talent and someone who's eager to impress. He's had 1 start in 9 games this season. Just play him and he'll blossom.
Laughable really.

This is the type of fan boi shite, that I'm talking about. (Though I avoided using that term)

As I said, there is more chance of an experienced, top player performing in a game of that size. Their base level is higher.
I know that others are not playing well, but to choose someone equally under the weather, but add inexperience and poor decision-making, and it makes no sense.
Still if you are determined to only see what you want to see, there is no point in arguing. I don't want you kicking your cat, just because someone on the internet isn't as gushing about an unproven kid, as you would like everyone to be.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is the type of fan boi shite, that I'm talking about. (Though I avoided using that term)

As I said, there is more chance of an experienced, top player performing in a game of that size. Their base level is higher.
I know that others are not playing well, but to choose someone equally under the weather, but add inexperience and poor decision-making, and it makes no sense.
Still if you are determined to only see what you want to see, there is no point in arguing. I don't want you kicking your cat, just because someone on the internet isn't as gushing about an unproven kid, as you would like everyone to be.
fan-boi shite?

You are the one who said he shouldn't start against Chelsea based on current form. That sounds more fan-boi-sh towards Mata and RVP than anything I said. If we're going to continue to pick players based on what they might do despite being terrible then I'm not sure what the point is of having young players like Januzaj on the bench. Then 2 years down the line we'll have another Pogba like thread with everyone moaning about how he wasn't given a chance.

Verminator

fan-boi shite?

You are the one who said he shouldn't start against Chelsea based on current form. That sounds more fan-boi-sh towards Mata and RVP than anything I said. If we're going to continue to pick players based on what they might do despite being terrible then I'm not sure what the point is of having young players like Januzaj on the bench. Then 2 years down the line we'll have another Pogba like thread with everyone moaning about how he wasn't given a chance.
Well then, play Young or Fellaini based on form shown this season. They have both been better.
This thread seems to have people that only holds other's form against them, but not against Adnan's.
Like I said earlier, our priority is not Adnan Januzaj, it is making the top four.
If he is good enough, he will play his way into the team, and stay there.

As for the Pogba comparison, the opportunities given are miles apart.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well then, play Young or Fellaini based on form shown this season. They have both been better.
This thread seems to have people that only holds other's form against them, but not against Adnan's.
Like I said earlier, our priority is not Adnan Januzaj, it is making the top four.
If he is good enough, he will play his way into the team, and stay there.
Young hasn't been better at all.

Agree on Fellani though. For me it's a straight choice between Fellaini and Januzaj for who replaces Mata. I'd prefer Januzaj because I think he's more creative and inventive with his passing but Fellaini had a better game yesterday and probably deserves it more than Januzaj does.

Verminator

Young hasn't been better at all.

Agree on Fellani though. For me it's a straight choice between Fellaini and Januzaj for who replaces Mata. I'd prefer Januzaj because I think he's more creative and inventive with his passing but Fellaini had a better game yesterday and probably deserves it more than Januzaj does.
We're making progess. lol
Do you really think Adnan has done better than Young this season?
I can't agree.
You do remember Young being one of our best players, playing in an onfamiliar wing-back role, don't you?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We're making progess. lol
Do you really think Adnan has done better than Young this season?
I can't agree.
You do remember Young being one of our best players, playing in an onfamiliar wing-back role, don't you?
I can't think of anything Young did going forward that was noteworthy which is what you need playing in that position. Adnan over Young (and Valencia), without a doubt.

shivab

Adnan is young. He hasnt got enough game time this season. due to lack of match sharpness he will be wasteful at times. Van Gaal has to be patient with him and so do we. Not every young player is a raheem sterling or pogba level. that doesnt mean adnan cant be a world class player.

Devil may care

He had a bad game, so did Mata and RvP so he wasn't alone and at least looked more committed than either of those two. I'm not saying I'd start him against Chelsea but some of the overreactions to one game from a 19 year old on his first start this season are OTT.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hate all this comparison BS! Adnan didn't have the best of games yesterday, but it's hard to hit the ground running when you're are in and out of the team. Think that was his first start in the league yesterday. The problem should be the players starting week in week out and producing the same average performances. Adnan will get better with games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I can't think of anything Young did going forward that was noteworthy which is what you need playing in that position. Adnan over Young (and Valencia), without a doubt.
Young's had more opportunities but clearly been better overall than Januzaj this season.

Valencia not so much, although his performance against Everton was better than anything Adnan has produced.

He's pretty much done nothing positive or noteworthy apart from that one little pass inside to Rafael. If that's the extent of what we're looking for from our wingers, Valencia would be a firm favourite on here.

In Rainbows

Adnan is young. He hasnt got enough game time this season. due to lack of match sharpness he will be wasteful at times. Van Gaal has to be patient with him and so do we. Not every young player is a raheem sterling or pogba level. that doesnt mean adnan cant be a world class player.
Pogba at the same age wasn't as established as Adnan. At 19 he had just started to play for Juve and had done nothing at 18. Sterling has 2-3 more months of good performances than Adnan and thus far has proven himself as better.

I think thats just wishful thinking from United fans.

Sterling is on a completely different level.
Potential doesn't just take into account current performances. You take into account their overall ability and what they can offer should they reach their top form. It doesn't mean a player with higher potential will become the better player in the end. Januzaj is better than Sterling in a number of areas and Sterling is better in other areas. Januzaj is the better passer, has better vision, and technique. He also has the ability to dribble. Sterling can dribble better, has more pace, and has better shooting technique. He has also shown impressive glimpses of great vision and passing. Currently Sterling is the better player without a doubt.

I thought Januzaj was the better player whenever I saw both play at u21 level, but I think Sterling had better end product at that level and of course you could see he could get by players easier. Januzaj really impressed me the last couple of years and this little rough patch in his young career to me doesn't leave me doubting his future or potential at United.

Speak

Pogba at the same age wasn't as established as Adnan. At 19 he had just started to play for Juve and had done nothing at 18. Sterling has 2-3 more months of good performances than Adnan and thus far has proven himself as better.

Potential doesn't just take into account current performances. You take into account their overall ability and what they can offer should they reach their top form. It doesn't mean a player with higher potential will become the better player in the end. Januzaj is better than Sterling in a number of areas and Sterling is better in other areas. Januzaj is the better passer, has better vision, and technique. He also has the ability to dribble. Sterling can dribble better, has more pace, and has better shooting technique. He has also shown impressive glimpses of great vision and passing. Currently Sterling is the better player without a doubt.

I thought Januzaj was the better player whenever I saw both play at u21 level, but I think Sterling had better end product at that level and of course you could see he could get by players easier. Januzaj really impressed me the last couple of years and this little rough patch in his young career to me doesn't leave me doubting his future or potential at United.
I really don't see this.

In Rainbows

I really don't see this.
Since they played at youth level Januzaj has always had more of that in his locker. I'm thinking you forgot some of Januzaj's passing ability since he hasn't shown it in a while. He's become much more of a dribbler in the last couple of months. It's one thing I've been disappointed with in his last several appearances for the first team.

Januzaj has had numerous passes like this throughout the season.

Sterling didn't start showing that until the end of last season. I think he had a great through ball with England during the summer too. When it comes to overall technique I think Januzaj has pulled off some very flashy bits of skill that Sterling hasn't shown yet. Januzaj doesn't do it consistently enough though. Sterling is a smart player and knows his role in the team. He makes great use of his ability. I forgot to mention that Sterling is much better at making runs into space. Januzaj is rather weak in that area.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I really don't see this.
In Rainbows has already explained it about the vision/passing, but how can you doubt the technique, how do you think Januzaj got past his man so often? He isnt really quick, really strong, really explosive, he does it pure with technique, keeping the ball close to him, controlling it, dazzling defenders, he isnt in his best form but people seem the forget what he is all about, I'd think that he was a mediocre player if I followed your posts about him.

Speak

In Rainbows has already explained it about the vision/passing, but how can you doubt the technique, how do you think Januzaj got past his man so often? He isnt really quick, really strong, really explosive, he does it pure with technique, keeping the ball close to him, controlling it, dazzling defenders, he isnt in his best form but people seem the forget what he is all about, I'd think that he was a mediocre player if I followed your posts about him.
I didn't say he didn't have great technique. Just I don't think it's better than Sterling's, nor is his vision or passing.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I didn't say he didn't have great technique. Just I don't it better than Sterlings, nor is his vision or passing.
I really rate Sterling, think he is the best u21 player of the world, but his technique isnt too special imo, I have seen a lot of balls jump of his feet, bad touches, but I also dont think he really needs that much, he can still play in short spaces because of his extreme explosiveness and his pace.

In Rainbows

I didn't say he didn't have great technique. Just I don't think it's better than Sterling's, nor is his vision or passing.
I disagree. Sorry for having to use gifs, but that's the only way I can show you what I mean.

I've seen these types of bits of skill and technique far more often with Januzaj than Sterling. When it comes to set pieces Januzaj is better too. Their control is very similar. When it comes to shooting technique I think Sterling is better. Januzaj far too often sends his shot flying. Sterling's dribbling is what sets him apart at the moment. His combination of strength, low center of gravity, pace, and close control allow him to really go after teams. He's more mature in scoring situations, knows when to make runs, and has shown he can give through balls occasionally. He has great work rate on top of this. He's a better player than Januzaj, but he doesn't have better skill or technique.

Speak

I disagree. Sorry for having to use gifs, but that's the only way I can show you what I mean.

I've seen these types of bits of skill and technique far more often with Januzaj than Sterling. When it comes to set pieces Januzaj is better too. Their control is very similar. When it comes to shooting technique I think Sterling is better. Januzaj far too often sends his shot flying. Sterling's dribbling is what sets him apart at the moment. His combination of strength, low center of gravity, pace, and close control allow him to really go after teams. He's more mature in scoring situations, knows when to make runs, and has shown he can give through balls occasionally. He has great work rate on top of this. He's a better player than Januzaj, but he doesn't have better skill or technique.
You say Sterling dribbles better, shoots better and has good close control...
What is this, if not technique?

If by technique you mean flicks, then I'm sure I can find a few back heels and nutmegs from Sterling.
If you mean controlling a pass, then I think there's nothing between them.
His passing is no worse than Januzaj's, and he's even capable of those cutting through balls just the same, from what I've seen.

JaffyJoe

If Mata had what the team needed regardless of form i would stick with him and would question the platform the manager is giving him. In this case it is clear that Mata just isn't good enough. What he brings to the table is not what the team needs and his weaknesses are areas in which we need to be strong. Adnan for me has talents which this team is lacking. This is nothing to do with playing the young star,check my earlier posts I am not obsessed with him in that regard. He is young so i know hi time will come but right now i feel we actually need him.

p.s this isn't directed at you but I can't stand the way people name drop Sterling now, a year ago nobody had him as this elite talent. Fans just tend to go with whichever player is in better from rather than actually jugging who is a better footballer.

In Rainbows

You say Sterling dribbles better, shoots better and has good close control...
What is this, if not technique?

If by technique you mean flicks, then I'm sure I can find a few back heels and nutmegs from Sterling.
If you mean controlling a pass, then I think there's nothing between them.
His passing is no worse than Januzaj's, and he's even capable of those cutting through balls just the same, from what I've seen.
Of course I don't mean technique is all about flicks. That's why I mentioned control (one of the gifs showed his great control), shooting technique, and set piece ability also. Sterling dribbles better not just because of technique. He's faster than Januzaj and is stronger. That goes a long way. Januzaj relies on his deceptive pace and the close control of his left foot. I think Januzaj has better footwork which the croqueta, heel flick in that position he was in showed. I also think Januzaj has the better first touch which he consistently shows when playing as a #10. There's a lot of bits of skill that Januzaj shows that Sterling hasn't shown, the volley he showed last season being another example. All of which require technique.

I really don't see how you can say Januzaj doesn't have better technique. The same goes for Suso. He has better technique than Sterling. Technique doesn't automatically make you a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.