5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marlowe78

Last season made expectations way too high for him. After the two goals he scored against Sunderland, there was a buzz about him and it gave fans something to cling onto as we were going through a completely shit season. He put in several good games for us and is eye-opening with his technique but I felt he was fading as the season wore on and was getting more playing time than his performances warranted.

I don't really think Januzaj can develop properly with last season hanging over him. He was making headlines in a unique set of circumstances, when we were not scoring and our attack was toothless. There were games when Januzaj was the center of attention because he was playing well but also because very few people were producing. Everyone needs to lower their expectations quite a bit and realize that he's still 19 and will go through periods where he is poor or nondescript.

Unfortunately, we only have league matches until FA Cup starts so we are not going to see much of him. DiMaria is in his better position on the left and Januzaj offers very little defensively so we will probably keep Young for the time being as the backup winger. I would really hate to loan him when there are so many excellent players on the squad he can learn from but that might be the only option.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He's got as much potential. Do you not realize it was his first start since last season for us, and there was nobody in the team who actually played well anyways? He's just started his second season and has played less then half as many games as Sterling has at a professional level. Give him a fecking chance, he showed how brilliant he was last year and how much potential he has.

Ronaldo would have been gone half way through his first season if it was up to some of you lot ffs.
This message board is madness. Thanks for the rationality in a sea of utter dross in regards to people's highly critical views of a teenager making his first start for United since May.

In Rainbows

edit: This video is missing a couple of his touches. He did a croqueta in the match that should have ended up in a foul.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Jaysus, lads, the defensiveness in this thread is unreal. Anything other than gushing praise and the wagons get circled while people spew stuff about "haters".

You all do realise it's possible to play badly without a) being a bad player or b) being any less of a prospect than he was before kick off?

Only it comes across as insanely precious to shout down anyone who dares point out he played badly in a game where he, well, played badly. Just for the record, he played badly. One of our worst three players on the night and an important factor in our lack of cutting edge.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He's got as much potential. Do you not realize it was his first start since last season for us, and there was nobody in the team who actually played well anyways? He's just started his second season and has played less then half as many games as Sterling has at a professional level. Give him a fecking chance, he showed how brilliant he was last year and how much potential he has.

Ronaldo would have been gone half way through his first season if it was up to some of you lot ffs.
He probably has got as much potential. I agree with that.

Right now he's clearly not as good, though. That's just stating facts. Did anyone actually suggest getting rid?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Don't get the stick Januzaj is getting. He's barely played in the last six months, which goes some way to explaining his rustiness. I'd be inclined to get on RvP's and Mata's back before Adnan.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Jaysus, lads, the defensiveness in this thread is unreal. Anything other than gushing praise and the wagons get circled while people spew stuff about "haters".

You all do realise it's possible to play badly without a) being a bad player or b) being any less of a prospect than he was before kick off?

Only it comes across as insanely precious to shout down anyone who dares point out he played badly in a game where he, well, played badly. Just for the record, he played badly. One of our worst three players on the night and an important factor in our lack of cutting edge.
It's like the Mata thread few weeks ago before people realised that he was actually poor.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's like the Mata thread few weeks ago before people realised that he was actually poor.
I don't see how anyone with a pair of functioning eyes could fail to see the talent Januzaj has.

Pogue is right - he was utterly shite yesterday, but that doesn't mean he's a shite player, it just means he was shite yesterday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I meant in terms of when people criticised him and got labeled as haters.
You get some of that in every thread but Mata got a lot of (justified) criticism. Januzaj is getting less vitriol but he deserves less vitriol because he's played less football and there's hardly any doubt he'll be a great player for United long-term (which looks less and less likely for Mata). People should still be able to criticise a poor performance though.

Ekeke

I thought he was poor, he's a young player and going to have games like that. He certainly wasnt the only one

Dante

Average bang
He hesitated on the ball and made loads of poor decisions. Kind of like a 19 year old is supposed to.

Dante

Average bang
Moyes gave him more a free role last season. He doesn't look comfortable sticking only to the wing.

It's like he knew he was supposed to be helping the team do something, but just wasn't sure what that was.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bad game for him apart from 1 or 2 decent passes. It's to be expected though, but it's a shame as it means he will be benched for another month now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I prefer him on the left anyways. On the right, he seems to slow down our play way too much. Yet, he wasnt our main problem yesterday

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His best games have come from the right, not the left. He's very restricted in what he can do on the left.

tom33

Flashes of ability, but generally very poor last night. There were a couple of great opportunities where I was screaming at him to open his legs and run with it, but instead he would slow the game down and pass it inside. Obviously following the Tony Valencia book of right midfield.

Adebesi

Exactly right. Its nothing to get too upset about, it doesnt mean he wont develop into a great player, it doesnt mean he should be hung out to dry, sold to Sunderland, sent out on loan or made to wear a dunce's cap. But it has to be acknowledged that when he has been given chances this season he hasnt quite seized them. Regardless of whether there were mitigating circumstances it was a disappointing performance but Im sure he will improve.

Adebesi

Don't get the stick Januzaj is getting. He's barely played in the last six months, which goes some way to explaining his rustiness. I'd be inclined to get on RvP's and Mata's back before Adnan.
This is true.

I must say I found Januzaj's performance the most disappointing thing about the game personally, but that is only because of the probably unrealistic expectations I had of him before the game. No, not expectations: hopes. Not expectations because I am completely prepared to accept the mitigating circumstances that explain his poor performance, which do not apply to Mata or Van Persie, for example. But still, he was such a breath of fresh air last season and despite the fact he has barely played and is clearly rusty I thought he might (would) play a lot better than he did.

But yes, in the cold light of day Mata's performance was much more disappointing and he has no such excuses. Van Persie was only slightly better.

Ixion

Reminded me of Ronaldo before he became good on one of his really bad days.

Parma Dewol

Was so excited to see his name in the starting 11. He deserved his chance having been awesome in the youth games, but it's a shame he didn't step up to the challenge. Was expecting him to terrorise the right flank the way Di Maria does the left but it just never happened. A few glimpses of potential but it just didn't go his way last night. Should he have scored from the rebound when RvP hit the post?

In Rainbows

First time I've seen Januzaj not take responsibility.
I would like to see him play in the #10 position so he can start asking for the ball again. Whenever he plays on the wings now a days he has a tendency to just wait for the ball to just come to him and if the rb/lb has it he waits and then makes a run where most times the fullback won't pass to him. I want to see him take a more active role like he did for the youth teams.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Whilst its true he hasn't played much, he is a youngster trying to break into the team, see McNairs performances. Adnan needs to take his chances, I hope he performs better next time (I'm sure he will).
As a youngster coming in you really need to take the chances when you gets starts, all his games I have seen him this season in for the first team I have been disappointed in him tbh.

Still I think he will end up in the starting 11 by the end of the season, they guy has way too much talent.

Adebesi

There's an element of "second season syndrome" here as well. Comparing him to McNair is unfair (Im a poet and I didnt know it) in that respect, he is at a different stage in his development. There is more expectation on him. Im sure McNair will struggle once the initial euphoria of his first team promotion has worn off and he is expected to come in after months out and play like an established first team player.

The point is, having seen him last year, we all know the talent is there, we just need to be patient with him while LVG coaxes is out.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I don't think Januzaj is ready for the first team. Mata has proved he is class. Januzaj has not yet.
You are basically giving Mata the pass because of what he did at Chelsea ? I judge a player by their ability and what they can bring to the team. For me it is an easy choice. Januzaj has more of what we need. Januzaj had a poor game and he still played better than Mata. This is a typical Mata performance, which is normally covered by a goal or assist.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think Januzaj is ready for the first team. Mata has proved he is class. Januzaj has not yet.
You obviously haven't been watching Mata this season then, he has been poor. If he gets dropped for Adnan I wouldn't really cry about it.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
He played badly you can't defend that, but for various reasons i'm not too fussed. He should start against Chelsea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
There's an element of "second season syndrome" here as well. Comparing him to McNair is unfair (Im a poet and I didnt know it) in that respect, he is at a different stage in his development. There is more expectation on him. Im sure McNair will struggle once the initial euphoria of his first team promotion has worn off and he is expected to come in after months out and play like an established first team player.

The point is, having seen him last year, we all know the talent is there, we just need to be patient with him while LVG coaxes is out.
Definitely.

Sterling's been mentioned a few times as someone who Januzaj is behind right now (and he clearly is) but Sterling had a serious dose of SSS before coming on strong last season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Definitely.

Sterling's been mentioned a few times as someone who Januzaj is behind right now (and he clearly is) but Sterling had a serious dose of SSS before coming on strong last season.
And Sterling has one more season in his legs.

It is weird that people can't accept that Januzaj in october isn't ready, he maybe will in May, but at the moment is not.
And i would add that his game would have been different with Rooney and Falcao, because Mata and Van Persie are dreadful at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.