Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

freshibal

the ultimate combination is genius and insanity
A good performance from Adnan, particularly his through balls. We posed the most threat down the left hand side and there was a reason for that.

Valencia is a fast runner, but with the ball, he really is not all that fast. His touch and dribbling mean that he is not particularly stable, whereas Januzaj, I reckon, would be a quicker dribbler with the ball.
Completely agree with that statement, i merely meant Valencia is fast in a pure athletic way.

Dr Fink

I have to disagree with a lot of the posts on yesterday's game. He did OK, but that's it. he was knocked ff the ball a lot and tended to stop once he got it, looking a little indecisive. Maybe he had no options on occasion but when he had the chance to move the ball out from under his feet to cross, particularly in the first half, he dwelled too long on the ball and didn't deliver, going backwards. You cross when you have the mometum in a swift breakaway move, to keep the defenders on the back foot. Acouple of good through balls but that's it.

He needs a good run in the 1st team in his preferred position. He looked the better prospect than Sterling last season - Sterling has kicked on, but Adnan hasn't had the opportunity to. Hopefully he will from now on, as he easily has the potential to be better than Valencia.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I have to disagree with a lot of the posts on yesterday's game. He did OK, but that's it. he was knocked ff the ball a lot and tended to stop once he got it, looking a little indecisive. Maybe he had no options on occasion but when he had the chance to move the ball out from under his feet to cross, particularly in the first half, he dwelled too long on the ball and didn't deliver, going backwards. You cross when you have the mometum in a swift breakaway move, to keep the defenders on the back foot. Acouple of good through balls but that's it.

He needs a good run in the 1st team in his preferred position. He looked the better prospect than Sterling last season - Sterling has kicked on, but Adnan hasn't had the opportunity to. Hopefully he will from now on, as he easily has the potential to be better than Valencia.
Did he look better than Sterling last season? I don't really agree with that to be honest.

Anyway I though he did well to setup a few chances early on, but I do agree that he seems indecisive. He slows the play down quite a bit when he has the chance to take on the defender and get a ball in. A couple of time a quick delivery was on with RVP making good runs but he was too busy trying to size up the fullback. Still he is young and learning, thought he had a decent game and his ability to pick out a good through pass is notable.

ZDwyr

Not so sure. Second half of the year when Liverpool were on their momentum wave Sterling was incredible. That's not to say Januzaj was miles off him though, just not quite as good IMO.

Cassidy

Not so sure. Second half of the year when Liverpool were on their momentum wave Sterling was incredible. That's not to say Januzaj was miles off him though, just not quite as good IMO.
In reality he was actually miles off. Adnan was good last season but Sterling was consistently one of the best players in the league second half of the season.

IwatUwat

He was poor for me yesterday (along with Di Maria and Mata) he slowed our attacks in the first half when he had opportunities to get the ball in. It's a shame as I really wanted him to take his chance cos I am a supporter of his. However watching last 2 games with my mates who question him, they were laughing. He really didnt offer much yesterday.

Thought he may take the chance. With Rooney and Falcao back he'll be back to low amounts of minutes and cameo's to stake a claim IMO. Hopefully he takes one of these opportunities like he did at the start of 2013 season.

Cassidy

He was poor for me yesterday (along with Di Maria and Mata) he slowed our attacks in the first half when he had opportunities to get the ball in. It's a shame as I really wanted him to take his chance cos I am a supporter of his. However watching last 2 games with my mates who question him, they were laughing. He really didnt offer much yesterday.

Thought he may take the chance. With Rooney and Falcao back he'll be back to low amounts of minutes and cameo's to stake a claim IMO. Hopefully he takes one of these opportunities like he did at the start of 2013 season.
That's a bit harsh, he setup 2 out of 3 of our best chances in the first half, but he didn't offer much. I thought he had a decent game was definitely better than Di Maria and Mata. BUT he wasn't brilliant and could have been more decisive when he had the fullback one on one.

IwatUwat

That's a bit harsh, he setup 2 out of 3 of our best chances in the first half, but he didn't offer much. I thought he had a decent game was definitely better than Di Maria and Mata. BUT he wasn't brilliant and could have been more decisive when he had the fullback one on one.
Yeah maybe yours is a fair assessment. He did okay but as you say didnt offer much, 6/10 tops. Which for me isn't what you want from your winger / attacking player against a top of the table side. Maybe more cos I have such high hopes for him, he just isnt quite showing it yet this season, when it was his chance to.

Just annoyed me the amount of times he slowed the play to walking pace, literally, I understand trying to beat his man via acceleration but yesterday wasn't a good example of it.

Smores

It'll be back to the bench for him now which is a shane as he needs the experience to end product to his game

Acquire Me

I think he was great yesterday. I think he will get more chances after this performance. He will create a lot of goals and he will probably score some himself. Top top talent.

RedStarUnited

Yeah maybe yours is a fair assessment. He did okay but as you say didnt offer much, 6/10 tops. Which for me isn't what you want from your winger / attacking player against a top of the table side. Maybe more cos I have such high hopes for him, he just isnt quite showing it yet this season, when it was his chance to.

Just annoyed me the amount of times he slowed the play to walking pace, literally, I understand trying to beat his man via acceleration but yesterday wasn't a good example of it.
Sometimes he just didn't have the space to run into. So instead of trying to dribble and losing the ball, he kept possession and kept us ticking.

He didn't offer much? He gave Van persie a chance to get a shot at goal twice. How many chances do you think Hazard made for Drogba?

It was a big match people, he is still only 19. He gave Ivanovic more of a hard time than Hazard did vs Rafael. And its generally accepted that Ivanovic is a better defender and Hazard is a better player. Think about that for a second...

IwatUwat

Sometimes he just didn't have the space to run into. So instead of trying to dribble and losing the ball, he kept possession and kept us ticking.

He didn't offer much? He gave Van persie a chance to get a shot at goal twice. How many chances do you think Hazard made for Drogba?

It was a big match people, he is still only 19. He gave Ivanovic more of a hard time than Hazard did vs Rafael. And its generally accepted that Ivanovic is a better defender and Hazard is a better player. Think about that for a second...
Disagree with regards to comparison to Hazard

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Agreed. He slowed it down but that was a better alternative than losing the ball. When he did use the ball he used it very well.

Can't see how it can be described as a poor performance.

ravi2

Agreed, he offered more of an offensive threat than Di Maria and Mata yesterday and was constantly challenging his man.
I hope he gets a good run of games and kicks on.

Shimo

Didn't watch the West Brom game so don't have that to compare it to but, Januzaj looked like he belonged out there yesterday. He was a a threat and did quite well for the most part. Maybe he could have put in some balls quicker but, then again with Terry/Cahill in the back and at best 1 player in the box, that probably wasn't the right thing either.

I think he should continue on Sunday even if Falcao is fit. We saw the benefit of having a 2nd player outside of ADM that can take people on - especially when ADM is having an off day. When both are playing well, our strikers will have a field day.

IwatUwat

That does not say much, expand please...
Hazard was far better, much more creative. Yes Januzaj created a good chance for RVP with one great pass (which was excellent and reminded me of a similar ball he played about this time last year) But he was very in and out of the game, often cut back, slowed down our play far too much, walked with the ball instead of attacked the full back, got one shot off that I can remember which was decent play but not enough of that, nor created opportunities or a serious threat to Chelsea any other time, IMO.

Hazard was pretty dangerous, every time Chelsea got the ball they tried to play through him. He was quick, defensively would get them out of a hole by beating a man down a wing. Made the corner the goal came from out of nothing via a quick 1-2 and should have scored himself at the end of it.

For me there was no comparison in performance yesterday between Hazard and Januzaj. Which is what I disagree with.

I'd imagine statistically that'd be proven as well, with touches, completed passes, dribbles etc. G Neville almost gave Hazard man of the match for a start which he quoted in commentary. IMO Hazard was the best player on the pitch, even though for me neither side performed particularly well / played tactically to cancel each other out.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
If that through ball had gone through to Falcao or Rooney, everyone would be talking about his amazing pass.

It was a tight game, and he did very well all things considered. Was easily one of our better performers yesterday, and here's to hoping we get to see more of him and Di Maria on the flanks.

Mykey

Haven't read everything above, but for me yesterday he slowed us down FAR too much while in possession. I understand running at a player but him receiving the ball and walking it towards the defenders wasn't doing much. He needs to either lay it off for Shaw or whoever is overlaping him or do something with it, needs to step up his game to stay in the team

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He could have had 2 assists today and 1 pre assists, the reactions would be so much different. I see the not making quick decisions not as a bad thing, you have to wait on the right moment to pass or dribble unless you'll just lose the ball and they'll counter, he really knows when to pass the ball or when to dribble. Chelsea also parked the bus at times, when that happens you need to be patient, when we play against teams who are more open, I would be surprised if we will see that slow handling of him/

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
he often had to "slow us down" because there was literally noone around him, and was waiting for people to get into place.

jeez, some of you are impossible to please.

Mykey

he often had to "slow us down" because there was literally noone around him, and was waiting for people to get into place.

Are you saying he was the furthest player forward? Shaw was there overlapping him pretty much every single time.
Theres being patient and theres being indecisive or selfish. His agent was complaining about him not getting playing time and this was his chance in the team, and to me didn't do enough to make a case to be a starting player.

RU Devil

I don't know about no one around him. There were multiple times Shaw made a run behind him but he seemed to never release that pass. The ball seemed to be glued to his feet instead of moving it around and having it circulate. He did well with the ball at his feet and didn't lose it that often but sometimes you have to throw a crumb to willing runners, otherwise they'll stop making those runs. I'm sure he's still working on his chemistry with his full backs, but he needs to be less selfish when he's on the wing.

Honestly, it reminded me of Nani, who enjoyed playing the ball too much, but when he was playing faster, was deadly. It seemed he was relying too much on his acceleration instead of his pure speed. Too much stop-start, instead of just running pass his opposition.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought he had a fairly good game. The decision making is still not there but will come over time as he's still only 19. The confidence of being selected in our biggest game of the year will also do him good.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I thought Adnan did well. Got involved a lot, linked up excellently with Rafael and helped in defence, looked to take on players and attack rather than just recycling possession meaninglessly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If that through ball had gone through to Falcao or Rooney, everyone would be talking about his amazing pass.

It was a tight game, and he did very well all things considered. Was easily one of our better performers yesterday, and here's to hoping we get to see more of him and Di Maria on the flanks.
If my aunt had bollocks, we'd call her uncle. :D

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
If my aunt had bollocks, we'd call her uncle. :D
Sure, fair enough. But he did his part, it was a fecking brilliant pass regardless of what anyone did with it in the end. We're talking about a 19 year old kid who by all accounts had a really good game against the best team in the league, primarily lining up against one of the top right backs to boot.

Some sense of perspective is perhaps needed here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's amazing how little some of our fans understand football. Some round me were screaming for him to "go on", when it was him v about 3 defenders and he's 30yards from goal.

If you constantly just "go on", more often than not you'll run down a blind alley and lose it.

Annahnomoss

I thought he had a very average game at best. Ivanovic had him in his pocket all night and it was clear that Januzaj would not beat Ivanovic consistently in the match after just 10-20 minutes.

Wasn't helped by Shaw playing so defensively and passively and almost never making overlapping runs, or inside runs to try and cause some troubles to the Chelsea defense.

LVG used his typical LVG-Winger which means they stay very far out wide to primarily stretch the defense when they don't have the ball. They're not allowed to roam freely and make off the ball runs which could penetrate the defenses.

They're pretty much just expected to receive the ball, then challenge their full back in 1 vs 1's and Januzaj(nor ADM) isn't good enough of a dribbler to do that role.

It is a role where Ribery failed even and he was at the time one of the very best dribbling wingers in the world. So there is a lot of requirements put on your 1 vs 1 ability, a lot more than if you have the role of a regular winger.

You almost always start from standing still too, which makes it incredibly difficult to beat a top class full back.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
It's amazing how little some of our fans understand football. Some round me were screaming for him to "go on", when it was him v about 3 defenders and he's 30yards from goal.

If you constantly just "go on", more often than not you'll run down a blind alley and lose it.
Exactly. Look back a few pages and you'll see that they were getting on him for needlessly being selfish with the ball and driving at opponents that didn't end up well.

So the fact that he's been ragged on for both slowing down the play too much AND for going after defenders and not getting enough of an end result, tells me he's probably doing exactly what he needs to be doing.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
I thought he had a very average game at best. Ivanovic had him in his pocket all night and it was clear that Januzaj would not beat Ivanovic consistently in the match after just 10-20 minutes.

You almost always start from standing still too, which makes it incredibly difficult to beat a top class full back. I'd give him a 5/10 for not making any mistakes and even if his dribbling wasn't threatening at least his passing was.
Nonsense Exhibit A. Januzaj made him look like a fool, and very nearly got a penalty in the first half as a result.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He does certainly need to learn when to attack at pace, and when to stop the defender still. Far too often he get's the ball and goes at walking pace.

At times yes that can work well, it can also buy time to look for a pass - but at other times you need that forward momentum to really scare defenders.

Distracted Steward

Did he look better than Sterling last season? I don't really agree with that to be honest.

Anyway I though he did well to setup a few chances early on, but I do agree that he seems indecisive. He slows the play down quite a bit when he has the chance to take on the defender and get a ball in. A couple of time a quick delivery was on with RVP making good runs but he was too busy trying to size up the fullback. Still he is young and learning, thought he had a decent game and his ability to pick out a good through pass is notable.
I absolutely agree. He lacks the verve and fluency he showed last year. He is trying to make openings versus take them. Surely it's just a phase---I remember Ronaldo going through this.

TheReligion

Abusive

Wasn't helped by Shaw playing so defensively and passively and almost never making overlapping runs, or inside runs to try and cause some troubles to the Chelsea defense.

LVG used his typical LVG-Winger which means they stay very far out wide to primarily stretch the defense when they don't have the ball. They're not allowed to roam freely and make off the ball runs which could penetrate the defenses.

They're pretty much just expected to receive the ball, then challenge their full back in 1 vs 1's and Januzaj(nor ADM) isn't good enough of a dribbler to do that role.

It is a role where Ribery failed even and he was at the time one of the very best dribbling wingers in the world. So there is a lot of requirements put on your 1 vs 1 ability, a lot more than if you have the role of a regular winger.

You almost always start from standing still too, which makes it incredibly difficult to beat a top class full back.
I am not sure I agree with that. Ivanovic was lucky not to give a penalty away on Januzaj in the first half and I felt his general link up with Shaw was rather good.

I also don't agree that Di Maria and Januzaj are not good enough to beat players 1 on 1! That is just nonsense.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
For what its worth I'm on the side of those who feel he 1) slowed us down when we were attacking at pace, and 2) was selfish.

I thought he killed our attacking momentum several times when he got the ball on a break. Instead of one-touch passing to continue the movement he would pause and take way too many touches while trying to psych out his defender. In the meantime, Chelsea's entire defense would adjust.

I put Januzaj's start in the list of questionable tactics by LvG yesterday, as he seems better suited to when we are trying to break down a defense with incisive dribbling and skill. Yesterday we needed pace and physicality instead.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sure, fair enough. But he did his part, it was a fecking brilliant pass regardless of what anyone did with it in the end. We're talking about a 19 year old kid who by all accounts had a really good game against the best team in the league, primarily lining up against one of the top right backs to boot.

Some sense of perspective is perhaps needed here.
I was kidding, Januzaj has been very good, and even more when you think that he played against Ivanovic who is an excellent player. I like him when he plays on the left wing.

Annahnomoss

I am not sure I agree with that. Ivanovic was lucky not to give a penalty away on Januzaj in the first half and I felt his general link up with Shaw was rather good.

I also don't agree that Di Maria and Januzaj are not good enough to beat players 1 on 1! That is just nonsense.
That wasn't what I said though. As a winger for LVG you are pretty much exclusively supposed to beat your full back from nearly stand still.

Di Maria is good enough to do that, which he showed yesterday, but he isn't good enough to be at his best in that role. The same goes for Ribery who could do the role, but you lost 50% of who Ribery was so he wasn't the worlds best winger in that role like he was in a freer role.

Wingers like Robben/Nani/Hazard are suited for that type of role, the 1 vs 1 wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.