Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This is not just harsh but complete nonsense.

Moyes handled him exceedingly well and at one point took him out of the team while 90% of the posters were demanding him to start every game.
Yes but Moyes also called him Cruyff in public. I know some of us thought that he reminded us of him in terms of style but discussing it amongst fans and going to the media about it, as well as over-hyping him to the media was irresponsible. It was in stark contrast to his approach with Rooney where he was over-protective.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I think I know what Louis Van Gaal has done with Januzaj this year.

Remember when Rio's book came out? He claimed that there were certain youngsters who felt as if they were entitled to a place in the first team. Januzaj came into the spotlight and his personal life was all over the local dailies and Nando's. It just seemed that the boy was getting a little ahead of himself and Giggs noticed this. This is Manchester United we're talking about. You have to earn your place in the starting eleven. I understand he was exceptional for us sometimes last year, but the way Moyes used him was verging on desperation rather than him "giving youth a chance."

Young players with talent need to be shown that they're not the sole focus of the main team. They have to look up to their seniors and have to earn the coach's trust. Moyes was feeling heavily pressured and played Januzaj because he might have been the only tricky type winger we had, yet as LVG shows putting trust in the likes of Young and Valencia can completely transform a player's output.

By giving him the number 11, Louis and Giggs showed him that he was wanted here. But by not playing him as a first name on the sheet, a message was sent that he needs to earn his place. He needs to put on some muscle and play the system well. He needs to be disciplined and believe in the manager. Louis had to recultivate the boy's need to prove the manager that he's good enough, rahter than feel entitled to play like how he was made to feel under Moyes.

This may seem all too psychological and trivial, but to bring up somebody the Manchester United way - hard work, discipline and loyalty - we need to instil ethos of the team over the individual at all costs.

Yesterday, he showed great improvement. He has clearly grown physically stronger and stuck to instructions. His decision making is still a little warped with his need to impress sometimes overtaking the goals of the team, but that is youth in all its glory. He's played two games in a row now, and I get the feeling that Januzaj has turned a corner with LVG and, we might just see him play more in the final run-in to the end of the season.
Brilliant post mate.

LR7

Yes but Moyes also called him Cruyff in public. I know some of us thought that he reminded us of him in terms of style but discussing it amongst fans and going to the media about it, as well as over-hyping him to the media was irresponsible. It was in stark contrast to his approach with Rooney where he was over-protective.
Didn't Moyes only compare him to Cruyff the other day? Not whilst he was here.

I'm not sure how people are making out that Moyes did anything wrong with Januzaj. There was a period in November/December where he probably played him a tad too much because he seemed a little burnt out for a while after, but he didn't hype him up or give him any huge ego or put expectations on his shoulders.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Do we think he'll be given a similar sort of training regime to Ronaldo?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Do we think he'll be given a similar sort of training regime to Ronaldo?
Think it was Ronaldo pushing himself very much over the limits rather than us imposing anything on him to be fair. It has to come from Adnan that he wants to kill himself in training/gym.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What do you mean by that ?
Ronaldo was a scrawny lad when he came to the game, he was beefed up.
Think it was Ronaldo pushing himself very much over the limits rather than us imposing anything on him to be fair. It has to come from Adnan that he wants to kill himself in training/gym.
Yeah true, although he was still put on that specific routine when he joined the club to cope with the physical demands of the league.

ipodnani

Yeah, Ronaldo is a bit of a freak with regards to his work-ethic and will to succeed. I think it's a bit unfair to expect others to exhibit the same drive that Ronaldo did.

But there's no doubting Adnan could do with bulking up a bit. He has definitely improved his strength on the ball but he still looks a little lightweight sometimes. I did think he was pretty good yesterday, though. His comfort on the ball and natural ability is there for all to see, there's just his end product which needs to develop - something which is perfectly understandable for a player his age.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ronaldo was a scrawny lad when he came to the game, he was beefed up.
Ah, probably, I always think about that when I see Wilson and Januzaj, the club will probably create a program for them, but Ronaldo was very determined and trained harder than anybody.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Absolutely agree that there's no harm in him getting stronger by the way, he's a tall lad who's already hard to knock off the balance and it would be even harder to dispossess him with a little bit more strength.

ChaddyP

love watching him play. especially on the left. very exciting player and one always looking to go to the goal.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Good that he gets some game time now but as many other players, needs even more to find his best form

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I thought he was OK honestly. Better than he's been at other points this season but his final ball/shot still needs a considerable improvement.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Adnan Januzaj must make the most of his talent to shine at Manchester United, admits boss Louis van Gaal

'He has a lot of talent but you have to perform that talent in the matches and also in the training sessions,' said the United boss.

'I'm not making the line-up, the players themselves are making the line-up. You don't believe that, I think.

'I observe and I communicate with my players what I want every day. At the moment I think 'okay, he is now ready to play' then maybe I can let them play.

'I have to compare Januzaj with Juan Mata and now I choose Januzaj. I'm looking every week and every day the players have to show it. I've said this to the players, to Falcao, Mata and Januzaj.

'The competition is high and also that's difficult to manage for players.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hester-United-admits-boss-Louis-van-Gaal.html

Bwuk

Rumours of a loan to Everton? Bollocks?
I'd imagine so.

He'd get plenty of game time at Everton though, but I don't think playing in a side struggling for confidence is a wise move for Januzaj.

khoazany

Rumours of a loan to Everton? Bollocks?
Bollocks.He's starting games for us and playing half a season for Everton won't suddenly make you better than Juan Mata (which seems to be LVG's criteria for him to get picked).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Are Mata/Herrera so damn lazy at practices?
He's just stating the obvious, to be fair. He's seeing these players in training every day and will be picking the team based on well they're performing. This is something the redcafe back-seat managers can never get their heads around. The fact that players who aren't starting games must not be convincing the coach to play them with their performances in training.

Good to see Januzaj winning him over. Hope it continues.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's just stating the obvious, to be fair. He's seeing these players in training every day and will be picking the team based on well they're performing. This is something the redcafe back-seat managers can never get their heads around. The fact that players who aren't starting games must not be convincing the coach to play them with their performances in training.

Good to see Januzaj winning him over. Hope it continues.
Did seeing them in training make him play Rooney in midfield and Di Maria up front, because if so then he should also try to look at the pitch during actual game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Did seeing them in training make him play Rooney in midfield and Di Maria up front, because if so then he should also try to look at the pitch during actual game.
Uh. Yes.

Of course, systems that work in training won't always work as well in a match. I'm sure he's clued in enough to realise that without you reminding him. What with him being an extremely wealthy and successful football manager and you being some bloke on the internet.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Uh. Yes.

Of course, systems that work in training won't always work as well in a match. I'm sure he's clued in enough to realise that without you reminding him. What with him being an extremely wealthy and successful football manager and you being some bloke on the internet.
So that's how it works now, you have to agree with the manager because they do this profesionally and we're just fans?

Perhaps we shouldn't really criticise players either because they're professional footballers while we're just sitting on our arses watching through the games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So that's how it works now, you have to agree with the manager because they do this profesionally and we're just fans?

Perhaps we shouldn't really criticise players either because they're professional footballers while we're just sitting on our arses watching through the games.
You don't have to agree with the manager and nobody is stopping you criticising players. I'm just pointing out that it's worth giving a manager the benefit of any doubt, when it comes to picking his XI. So long as the training sessions aren't televised, there's a hugely important bit of information that the manager has and we don't. And that needs to be taken into account when discussing which players do and don't get picked to play.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ironically, a 0-0 draw with a League 2 side seems to have been the turning point for Adnan under LVG!
Heh. Possible. I thought he was really good in that game. Him and Rojo seemed to be the only two really trying to make something happen. Fingers crossed he gets a decent run of games now. Such an elegant footballer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Weird to drop him altogether after 2 very good performances. Maybe being saved for the weekend?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Adnan speaks:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...nited-adnan-januzaj-van-gaal?CMP=share_btn_tw

Januzaj said: “I’m not really a wing-back. It’s harder for me because there is more defending involved and I’m not really a defender.”

Regarding what position he would like to play in the long term, Januzaj said: “It depends on how my football evolves. My favourite position is as a No10 or a winger. There are lots of players here and I can play in different roles – it’s just a case of taking my opportunities.

“I’ve been a No10 since I was young and I can play there more easily but I know I can also play as a winger.”

Status
Not open for further replies.