Adnan Januzaj to be converted into a striker by LVG

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's very two-footed with bags of technique but I agree with others who mention that his best traits are his vision and weight of pass. Not sure about him as a striker.

GloryHunter07

Good news in my opinion, he has the skillset to do well there and it allows him to drift around rather than be easily stopped down the wing.
Are those real quotes from LVG? "He's got the lot" doesnt seem like something he would say.

wiz4231

Earlier in the U21 season he played as a striker alongside Keane in the 3-5-2 formation where he bagged a hat trick so its not out of the question. For me he's best suited to a #10 ala Mata but that requires a change in formation to 4-2-3-1 (4-3-3 variant) he could also work in the current 4-3-3 set up as well but he would have to work harder defensively.

GBBQ

I'm unconvinced too but IF the story is true then I would trust LVG has seen something that makes him think this could work. Its not like he's buying him in and converting him. He's worked with him daily for just under a year now and will have no doubt played him in different formations in training.

Kazi

Always thought he could be a second striker. Not sure if he could do it on his own though. Played there at Stamford Bridge last season.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding

ottosec

That article is most likely bullshit, but one way or another he must play more.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's not a case of changing the role. He just needs time to fully mature. Bag of skills is already there with further time for improvement.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It's very early days for this and it looks a bit like a randomly written article. Of course RVP comes to mind, but Adnan needs to play 100 matches first, doesn't really matter in what position. Van Persie was much older when he started playing regularly as a real striker.

And it depends on the set up too, whether the team is playing with one or two strikers. When Arjen Robben was asked about his new role as a 'striker' in the 3-5-2 last summer, he said that he didn't really care much for systems. Mostly played from the right and left wing, but he said he was a striker in the youth teams and was also used centrally by Guardiola on some occasions. Therefore he considered himself a player that can play lone striker, second striker, winger, #10.

In some kind of 4-4-2 I could see Adnan do well as a striker, but for the #9 in a 4-3-3 I'd say Wilson would look like a better choice this season.

Tarrou

I don't see him as a 9 at all. 10, sure.

I just hope he gets games next season. Preferrably here but if not a loan.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
nice to see an article that actually suggests he'll stay at united, even if it's from the mail AND has no quotes attributed.

nevertheless, count me as another person who doesn't see him as a striker. his strengths are his vision and passing, his shotmaking seems to have been suspect ever since his debut.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know there have been a few rumours regarding Cavani recently, but I have a feeling that Adnan will be our next centre-forward personally. The talk has been going on for a while about he can play upfront 'through the middle', and while we were all bemused by it, it has been said at Old Trafford many times. I think he has a bit more selfishness than someone like Mata too, and I believe he will get quicker as he develops too.

I've noticed a few times this season where he has switched with Rooney or whoever and spent 15 minutes through the middle. It was very notable at Stamford Bridge last week, where he played ahead of Welbeck. This also happened away at Fulham, in a game where Rooney AND Persie both started, yet there was a chunk of the second half where Adnan was at centre-forward.

I think as he develops he could be the man to replace Persie in our first XI with another wide player being brought in at some point. Of course he will not be an Alan Shearer so to speak, but Moyes has been speaking of fluidity lately and a potential Messi-like false 9 position may be an option.
How's January 28 2014?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I was about to laugh at the suggestion, but then I remembered that this is what I have been suggesting in the past with my lineups.

Not theoretically an out and out striker, but more of a false 9 ala Messi before Suarez.

-------------------Blind/Carrick-------/-
--------Herrera/Perrera ---- Gundogan(?)/Fellaini
---------------Rooney/Januzaj--------
Di Maria/Mata --------------- Depay/Wilson

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Personally think his best role when he hits his peak would be as a no.10, but I dont see the harm in having him play either wing while he develops? Having watched him through the youth teams, you know he can play the position well, affording him the freedom to roam, as we're giving Mata lately from the right side would be sufficient.

The thing is I dont think his poor showing this season has been down to his position, I believe its more... 2nd year syndrome coupled with the lack of a run of 4+ consecutive appearances in the side, he needs games if he's to regain confidence and develop.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He played everywhere, sometimes left side, sometimes right, went up front as a false no.9 for a bit when we others were injured/loaned.
First time I saw him was actually against a scottish team in a pre season friendly a couple years before he broke into the first team, he played central midfield and at 16-17 looked the most technical player on the pitch.

ghagua

Play him where we can get the best out of him, as a #10 or where Fellaini is playing in a 3 man midfield.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
1. His decision making isn't there. He would need to play a lot as the main man in the reserves first and does he want to do that for another season?

2. He isn't strong enough to play as a lone man up top in a 4-3-3. You need a physical presence and more importantly, somebody who can play with their back to goal. He still thinks like a winger and although being able to face up your opponent from time to time is a great asset to have. It's just as important that he learns to hold the ball and bring other in to play with clever passes.

Sam

He should be a #10. Not a winger, or a striker.

Water Melon

What pretty much everyone above said. I do not think Januzaj could become a15+ goals a season striker at United. He lacks strength, finishing and positioning skills for this role. However, if "striker" means an "attacking player" in van Gaal's dictionary, then surely it is the way to go. Wide-forward, CAM roles are Adnan's best, but leading the line like Diego Costa, Falcao, RvP - no way.

Gopher Brown

The good thing is he'll be in the box more regularly, so all those dives will pay off more.

I can't remember the last time he played well unfortunately.

In Rainbows

I don't remember every game he played for the U21s I'm sure, but I don't remember seeing him look good as the lead striker.

As a no10 in a 4231 he certainly had some great games.
He did well as the striker for the u21s. It's just that he wasn't a goal scorer. His technique and control was great and that allowed him to bring others into play really well.

He played everywhere, sometimes left side, sometimes right, went up front as a false no.9 for a bit when we others were injured/loaned.
First time I saw him was actually against a scottish team in a pre season friendly a couple years before he broke into the first team, he played central midfield and at 16-17 looked the most technical player on the pitch.

That's the game you're talking about. He was 17.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Behind the striker is his ideal position i think, can do a job on both wing, but as a striker i don't think will work.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
When he was confident, I would've said yes. He may not be the most pacey but he is nippy in a sense and could probably work his way into some good positions.

To be honest though, I can't be arsed with yet another thing we're not sure about and having to take the time to see if it's right. We don't even know if he's good enough to be in midfield, which is where he's supposed to be best and at the moment there aren't many signs that he is if we're being honest. I'm not convinced a player who's going to be great would have such a terrible dip in form as he's currently in, and he didn't do that much before it.
Obviously because of his age and potential he's worth sticking it out. But I dunno if putting him in one of our most important positions is the right thing to do. We really need to be getting quality in that's ready to play, full stop. Then the youngsters can be eased in, be it in whatever position you like.
Or just send him on loan.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Anything that gets him game time get a thumbs up from me. I find the idea of loaning him out and getting some yet to be proven Dutch talent as a replacement abhorrent. Januzaj is an exceptional talent, who has had a tough year like any young player can have. Add to the fact that it took the new manager almost a full year to find the right formation, personnel and playing style for the club, it is not hard to understand why some players have suffered, including Januzaj.

I have seen him play and do well in that position for the U21's earlier in the season when we tried 532/442 formations. I am not sure of the VP comparisons or that being his eventual position, but behind the striker or coming in from the right or the left is a role where he would make his mark.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm totally fine with giving him a lot of game time if we can sort all the other positions out where we're dodgy or lacking. At the moment he's part of the crew that add nothing to us on the pitch, so if we can sort all the other areas here out, then he can get a bit of a pass while he improves and will be part of a better team so should get some confidence from that.

In Rainbows

When he was confident, I would've said yes. He may not be the most pacey but he is nippy in a sense and could probably work his way into some good positions.

To be honest though, I can't be arsed with yet another thing we're not sure about and having to take the time to see if it's right. We don't even know if he's good enough to be in midfield, which is where he's supposed to be best and at the moment there aren't many signs that he is if we're being honest. I'm not convinced a player who's going to be great would have such a terrible dip in form as he's currently in, and he didn't do that much before it.
Obviously because of his age and potential he's worth sticking it out. But I dunno if putting him in one of our most important positions is the right thing to do. We really need to be getting quality in that's ready to play, full stop. Then the youngsters can be eased in, be it in whatever position you like.
Or just send him on loan.
He hasn't played badly through the 10 spot because he doesn't have the technique, passing ability, or vision. He's just been quiet in that position because he hasn't been able to find the ball enough, which can be fixed as he gets more experience in finding the right pockets of space at first team level. He's done fine as a 10 whenever he has the ball.