Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

This would be risky because Rabiot could have signed a new contract or signed for another club at anytime over the past months while we were pissing about failing to get any deals done.

This has all been quiet for weeks, I suspect he's had all his offers on the table (including ours) and he's very slow at making a decision.

It does baffle me how the season's been over for weeks and players out of contract still don't have a clue what their plans are. Our situation with De Gea is equally stupid. The lack of urgency from all parties in the transfer market is very irritating, these deals don't take long to complete when there's actually willingness to get things done promptly, as deadline day proves.
That's true, but remember we had Sabitzer, who I doubt will be here next year. He has recently been discussing with Juve about renewing, so maybe he's not happy with how that's going and asked us to make a proper offer?
Both points make sense, think we've likely made an offer to get him around the table and they've gone away and negotiated with Juve to see if they'll better it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surely if we’re in for him, he’s choosing us and CL over Juventus and Conference league?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
To be honest, if we could pull off this deal along with Caicedo, it would be an excellent step forward, and makes much more sense than Mount right now.
If we can shift McTominay, Fred and VdB, we'd surely get about 50m in return and this would give us a lot more flexibility while not sacrificing quality.

Fast forward a year, Eriksen will more than likely be moved on, and imagine getting Mount on a free. Our central midfield would be by far the strongest we've had in years

Mainoldo

Thank god if true. We need the numbers.

Mount or Caicedo. I’m feeling confident with the midfield for next season.

Nori-

Juve took Pogba last year on a free.....The least we can do is return the favour and take Rabiot.

He is highly capable, we save £55m of the Mason Mount money, focus on other priority areas and get Mount on a free next summer.

No brainer in my opinion.

I would have even chanced a season with Youri Tielmanns instead of blowing a large chunk of our budget on Mount, but that isn't happening now.

Norris Cole

Lots of baggage and not really set the world alight in last few seasons to make it worth the gamble imo.

Irrational.

He’d be an upgrade on Sabitzer - in the ‘solid but dependable’ category. Hopefully we can sign Caicedo too as it appears we’re losing Sabitzer, DVB, and one or both of McFred.

nemanja15

Can’t see how we lose signing him for free, really. Depth and cover for Casemiro, plus ensuring we still have a left-footed midfield option if Fred departs/we want to play a more defensive or sitting two. Won’t be in the first-choice XI but an excellent option to have when the games hit hard in autumn and the New Year.

Big Ray

Can’t see how we lose signing him for free, really. Depth and cover for Casemiro, plus ensuring we still have a left-footed midfield option if Fred departs/we want to play a more defensive or sitting two. Won’t be in the first-choice XI but an excellent option to have when the games hit hard in autumn and the New Year.
He will start and rightly so. Unless we get caicedo. He really impressed me at the World Cup. I underestimated his abilities.

Tiber

Meh yet again uninspiring but hard to argue if he is free unless he gets offered mega money, which is possible

dazjoe

With a tight budget this makes a lot of sense. Can have Rabiot and Caicedo for approx. 65M now and then Mount for nothing next summer, or Mount on his own for approx. 65M.
Get it done, sell Fred and McTominay and it's a net spend of roughly 0 - 10M (although with a big increase in wages). Clear and obvious upgrade on the midfield for no real impact to the transfer funds.

Ted Lasso

Please no. Signings like this keep us in third place.
If you guaranteed 3rd for next season that's the best two consecutive premier league finishes for us since SAF left, no? I don't think we've had back to back CLs since

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be a very good player on a free to replace Fred and McTominay. Add Mount (or someone like him) and our midfield group looks very good.

Abraxas

This would be a big coup for our summer business. Picking up a quality and relatively adaptable midfield player for free gives us much more scope to do other things. I think we're kind of reliant on something like this if we're to put a big dent in our weak spots this summer because evidently we're not flush with cash.

I'm sure if you are Rabiot's entourage you would realise this, and therefore realise his value and be expecting obscene wages. But that ongoing cost may be something we have to accept in order to free up some upfront costs this summer.

SinNombre

If you guaranteed 3rd for next season that's the best two consecutive premier league finishes for us since SAF left, no? I don't think we've had back to back CLs since
Ole has us finish 3rd and 2nd - we have finished top-3 in 3 of the past 4 seasons. All seasons ex Ronaldo.

Pintu

We’ve had back to back CLs twice.

Mourinho qualified for it twice in a row, the first thanks to EL win… the second time thanks to finishing 2nd on 81 points.

Olé got CL qualification twice as well, finishing 2nd and 3d…

What we haven’t got often is CL KO stage… Since SAF left we‘ve only made it back to back out of the GS in Mourinho’s 2 participations in the GS, the second time
around he was very lucky to get us out… and Olé was even luckier to “climb the Paris mountain” in the Ro 16…

RopersReturn

He’d be an upgrade on Sabitzer - in the ‘solid but dependable’ category. Hopefully we can sign Caicedo too as it appears we’re losing Sabitzer, DVB, and one or both of McFred.
Sabitzer was alright ,just didn’t gel with some of the sub standard players we have in our midfield.

Ted Lasso

We’ve had back to back CLs twice.

Mourinho qualified for it twice in a row, the first thanks to EL win… the second time thanks to finishing 2nd on 81 points.

Olé got CL qualification twice as well, finishing 2nd and 3d…

What we haven’t got often is CL KO stage… Since SAF left we‘ve only made it back to back out of the GS in Mourinho’s 2 participations in the GS, the second time
around he was very lucky to get us out… and Olé was even luckier to “climb the Paris mountain” in the Ro 16…
Thanks. Lapse remembering Europa League campaigns having dropped out of CL

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we failed to sell players to raise extra cash:

This summer: (budget 100m)
Rabiot - free
Hojlund - 60-70m
Onana - 40m

Next summer:
Mount - free
Kane - free

If we manage to raise extra funds by selling some of our players this summer:

CB - 40m
CF - 80-120m (Osimhen or Muani)
CM - 50-90m (Caicedo or Lavia)

croadyman

If we failed to sell players to raise extra cash:

This summer: (budget 100m)
Rabiot - free
Hojlund - 60-70m
Onana - 40m

Next summer:
Mount - free
Kane - free

If we manage to raise extra funds by selling some of our players this summer:

CB - 40m
CF - 80-120m (Osimhen or Muani)
CM - 50-90m (Caicedo or Lavia)
Would think it's a bigger budget than £100m and Athletic are just saying the same thing we heard from ESPN last summer

croadyman

People turning their nose up at Rabiot are blowing my mind. Hes statistically one of the best midfielders in world football right now
Yeah would be a bit of shrewd business and I realise it may mean the wages are higher as he will be a free agent on Friday

croadyman

With a tight budget this makes a lot of sense. Can have Rabiot and Caicedo for approx. 65M now and then Mount for nothing next summer, or Mount on his own for approx. 65M.
Get it done, sell Fred and McTominay and it's a net spend of roughly 0 - 10M (although with a big increase in wages). Clear and obvious upgrade on the midfield for no real impact to the transfer funds.
No way are we signing Caicedo for £65m when they turned down more from Arsenal in January

El Jefe

You'd rather keep Fred, Mctominay and VDB?

Because we're not signing multiple midfielders this window unless we take advantage of this free.
We need two midfielders. If we sell players at reasonable prices we should be able to afford that.

People easily fall in love with free transfers. People were begging for us to buy Thuram also despite him not being good enough. Last season people lost their shit over Boubakar Kamara, a year later at Villa and I'm sure no one regrets us missing out despite being a free.

If you wouldn't be happy with us buying him to start in our team for £50m then why be happy if he's joining on a free. Rabiot isn't coming here to play off the bench especially at the wages he'll demand. If he was a bench option, then I wouldn't mind but as a starter we need more.

All the top clubs are buying up midfielders but for some reason Rabiot who is available on a free is being overlooked by all despite having a good season. Arsenal, City and Bayern are more willing to overpay for Rice who is a similar type of player than go for Rabiot. A player like Gundogan was a highly coveted free transfer which speaks to his quality.

He is just a decent player at the top level. He carries the ball well and is physical but there is really nothing special he adds to a team. My main issue is his mediocre passing ability.

We should learn our lesson with Eriksen. While he served his purpose in helping us get top 4 its clear that we need better to close the gap to the top. The same will happen with Rabiot, he'll easily be better than Mcfred but in a season's time we'll be wanting an upgrade after finishing behind the top teams again.

iato89

Rabiot had a very good season last year at Juve! He is free and is a HUGE upgrade on McFred. No Brainer.

croadyman

Rabiot had a very good season last year at Juve! He is free and is a HUGE upgrade on McFred. No Brainer.
Yeah totally agree and to @El Jefe it might be worth remembering we wanted him last year when he wasn't free. Probably did a lot of legwork last summer but it fell down due to wage demands. We are in Champions League which will help lower things compared to last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.