Adults wearing replica football shirts...

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
I haven't worn one since my early 20's bit it's mainly down to me being a fat feck who looks awful in a footy shirt, if I was fitter than I'd defo wear one.

Gandalf

My 15 year old gets a new kit every year with his favorite player, helps that his birthday is in August so I never have to think too hard about what he wants. Slight issue this year as he was 100% happy with his Sancho stuff until the Cristiano announcement and is now nagging about maybe getting another kit for Christmas.

I had not worn one in years but my wife decided to order one for game days so I will wear it in the house when the game is on and that will be about that, I told her to put Maguire on the back because just like Harry I am in charge :lol:

Red00012

I wear training tops/ jackets I’m too old for a jersey , my young fella wears the jerseys in the house :lol:

* I wear the training gear really well*

redMundo

Think it’s a cultural thing to be honest.
I’m working class from Manchester and always thought it a bit “uncool” to wear a United top as an adult. I Wouldn’t dream of wearing one to a pub/bar or even a match. I feel most people about would think I’m a bit of a nerd haha.

I have had a couple of England tops that I’ve pretty much exclusively worn abroad when just chilling out as they are pretty light and breathable.
I feel more comfortable repping my hometown/nation on foreign soil for some reason as it feels less common and tacky.

I’ve not had a United shirt since I was about 16 but am tempted to get one now for the first time since (I’m now a 33 year old father). I’ll definitely only be wearing it to the gym or when chilling out or playing sports though.

My sudden desire for one might be because it feels like we’ve finally turned the corner and United are “back”.
Or,
Maybe I’ve got to an age where I don’t really care about what people think and I judge others less.
Or,
I’m finally officially old and I’ve lost touch with modern fashion trends?

Micky Targaryen

Just wear whatever you want. Nothing wrong with having your sports heroes name on the back of your shirt when you’re out shopping. Only insecure men will come up with opinions like OP.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Idk about UK, but where I'm from it's common to see folk wearing a top. I don't see the issue really; authentic jerseys are quite expensive, so why can't I wear it in a casual setting?

Judas

Open to offers
It's certainly a cultural thing as well. I'd be far more likely to wear one when I'm in east asia, where generally I just dress totally more casual and sloppy due to the weather. T-shirt, shorts, flip flops. Wouldn't wear that combo over here though!

skc_18

What does that mean ? Fans not in UK should not buy the shirt because they cant go to the match, might not be able to go to PUB because of timezone and might not play sports actively ? :)

Football jerseys are extremely expensive and if you cant get to wear occasionally then there is no point in buying them. You cant use it as daily wear but surely you should be able to wear it occasionally.

Wearing Complete kits (shirts and shorts) is probably weird unless you are playing a game but just wearing shirt should not be judged.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So grown men can't wear a football top but can spend ours arguing with other faceless fans on a football forum :lol:. I only wear mine at the odd match I go to or for indoor football, but I don't see the problem with people that do.

Hester_manc

Unbelievable that there are such one-track thoughts about what people can wear when they get a little older. I completely do not care if a grown man is wearing a football shirt. In fact, it can be refreshing to see that you are still passionate about a team. I only wear football shirts when I play sports. Otherwise never. But I did not do that either when I was young. In general, one should not be so busy with what other people are wearing. If you think this is ridiculous, then look away - it's your own problem and your own prejudice. Grow up.

northernfan

I have a mid 1990's blue and white stripped, Sharp sponsor, United Jersey with all the players names etched in it. Friend brought it back to me when they took a trip to England. The sizing was wrong so my wife wears it. Even today, whenever they have jersey day at work, she gets the greatest responses to it. I have never worn a jersey in public, team t-shirts are okay.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Unbelievable that there are such one-track thoughts about what people can wear when they get a little older. I completely do not care if a grown man is wearing a football shirt. In fact, it can be refreshing to see that you are still passionate about a team. I only wear football shirts when I play sports. Otherwise never. But I did not do that either when I was young. In general, one should not be so busy with what other people are wearing. If you think this is ridiculous, then look away - it's your own problem and your own prejudice. Grow up.
It's not that serious. It's a lighthearted thread. People are allowed to wear what they want. Of course they are. No-one has said otherwise. People are also allowed to think something is a little weird or silly.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
Not this BS again. You see people with football/rugby tops on all the time. It's no big deal. I don't understand why people take issue with it. All they have to do is look away.

I think people that look like they're on fire with those fecking vapes look absolutely ridiculous but that's just my opinion and it's not going to stop them. That's how this thing works. People just need to grow up.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I didn't expect this silly thread to get 300 replies!

Seems most agree with me and a lot of football fans are surprisingly sensitive about sartorial advice.

Ludens the Red

What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
What about wearing an Aberdeen kit to a cricket match ?
And as a collector of football kits, you can go feck yourself and anyone else who agrees with you….

Chipper

Adulterer.
Touchy aren't they?

"I'm free to wear what I like, even though nobody has actually attempted to stop me. I'm going to pretend that's what you're doing though and take offence to it whilst declaring you're not allowed to see what I'm wearing, think it's a bit naff and decide you don't want to emulate it. If you do I'm going to cry."

Last edited:

KingCavani

Why would anyone judge another person for something like this?

If they’re comfortable and happy in it good for them. There’s a lot of problems in the world and this aint one.

BoulderDevil

What’s weirder:
Repping a sports icon you love and respect or
Repping a multi billion GBP/ dollar company for no good reason at all?

Chipper

Adulterer.
What’s weirder:
Repping a sports icon you love and respect or
Repping a multi billion GBP/ dollar company for no good reason at all?
The second, although sports teams are multi billion dollar companies these days themselves. They're not exactly in-tune with what fans want all the time and are more about the money. Remember they thought it was a good idea to join a Super League not long ago until the backlash?

I would also add that I no longer love any players so the first isn't really a thing for me personally. I just don't feel that way about them as I've gotten older and I think the same applies to lots of people although not all of course.

Ace Krampus

I wear them all the time. Not to like, Peter Lugers, but out and about, who cares? I tend to go for, across all sports, players that might be a little more niche or, my personal favorite, famous player who played briefly on a team either early or late in their career. I think that whose name & number you get shows a little idiosyncrasy, personally.

Micky Targaryen

Touchy aren't they?

"I'm free to wear what I like, even though nobody has actually attempted to stop me. I'm going to pretend that's what you're doing though and take offence to it whilst declaring you're not allowed to see what I'm wearing, think it's a bit naff and decide you don't want to emulate it. If you do I'm going to cry."
I don't see anyone being touchy though. Some people are wondering why is this even a topic to discuss. A fashion thread discussing on why it's weird to wear a football shirt outside of a sports bar or stadium? Insecure much? I've never ever heard of this sort of opinion so yeah it really must be a cultural thing.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't see anyone being touchy though. Some people are wondering why is this even a topic to discuss. A fashion thread discussing on why it's weird to wear a football shirt outside of a sports bar or stadium? Insecure much? I've never ever heard of this sort of opinion so yeah it really must be a cultural thing.
Someone had just told the OP to go and feck himself, was that not touchy?

Also not getting the insecure thing. You're the second person I've seen say that. Not wearing the same clothes as many others because you don't like the way they look is insecure how? I'm not saying those who wear them are insecure because they actually like them but if not liking them and thinking they look silly then the insecure thing would be to wear them to fit in with the others that do.

I mean there's a bloke who walks round my part of Manchester wearing a cowboy hat and a bolo, one of those neck ties that ranchers sometimes wear in US. I think he looks daft. is it insecure to choose not to dress like that even though I don't like the way he looks, or to think it's weird because he's not a cattle rancher nor has he ever been one and he's never lived in the USA?

Last edited:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

To be honest I mainly wear my United shirts and jogging pants for sports and at home.
However, I am also a big metal fan and we had the same discussion about band shirts in a forum where I am a member.
My conclusion: Now I am 41 and therefore I might often go for the more subtle designs and wear that kind of stuff only in certain situations. That has also to do with the perception of other people like parents from other kids at school or our conservative and boring friends. So I do it also for my wife in some ways as she is not a fan of me doing premature things (like playing PS games) - although she accepts that I have my hobbies and interests.
However, I have more respect for a 55 yrs old lad wearing his band shirt or kit of whichever team he supports with conviction than all these clowns just buying whatever brand is actually the one „everybody“ has to wear without having his own individual style or any kind of taste.

MiceOnMeth

Howcome metal heads don't get the same flack for wearing a metallica or slayer t shirt? :smirk: