Adults wearing replica football shirts...

Slightly off topic but this thread got me thinking of how exciting it was as a kid to get the new United kit. Was buzzing wearing it and which ever kid in the neighbourhood got it first was like a celebrity that day!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I saw this weird bloke at Tesco the other day just staring at this middle aged woman in a City shirt. I actually thought in my head “that’s embarrassing.”

I go out shopping pretty often but I never just think “I’m gonna pop down the shops, just going to weirdly stare at middle aged womens shirts.”
:lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Admiration is one thing.

If you dress up like them to do your weekly food shop then people might giggle at you, that's all.
Oh god, not the giggling!

OverratedOpinion

I haven't worn one since Euro 2002 but I think it's fine. They look a bit weird with certain types of jeans but otherwise why not, I reckon the new shirts are probably really comfortable.

Kag

Weird. This includes wearing it at the match, especially if you’re going on the drink all day before and after.

Evening football (e.g. 7-a-side) is just about acceptable, and even then it’s just as easy and cheap to wear a Nike top for a few quid from Sports Direct.

EDIT: Upon reflection, I’ve decided that wearing one inside the house to watch a game on television is by far the weirdest of them all.

Wheato

Bizarrely, I have found myself this week trying to purchase the United kit for 2 different children's birthday's.

SOLD OUT literally everywhere.

Someone is making a mint.

LungiDevil

My first replica shirt was a 2010 Ryan Giggs jersey which I got when I was in my mid 20s. My wife doesn't let me wear that one anymore, neither do I feel like it.

I do have two other jerseys, but the generic ones without any names.
On a particular good/bad United day, I do love to wear them around all day.

I never wear it for a social gathering or work. That just feels tacky.

Dash247

I have 5 united shirts, but none of them have a players name on the back. I support the team and not a particular player. I know i like a few players more than others, but still i don't like to get a shirt with say Ronaldo's or Bruno's name on the back.

Deery

Dreary
Bizarrely, I have found myself this week trying to purchase the United kit for 2 different children's birthday's.

SOLD OUT literally everywhere.

Someone is making a mint.
Try sports direct online

stevoc

I saw one yesterday Ajax kit without socks and with flip flops.
If someone whatever age likes to wear football shirts fair enough.

But anyone over 12 who's wearing a full kit down the shops or anywhere needs to reevaluate their life choices.

prateik

Its fine anywhere.. the full kit is weird unless you are playing.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I would also say that, especially for those of us expats living abroad, seeing a fellow United supporter in their shirt creates an unspoken brotherly bond. I was in PA last week, wearing my jersey, a guy coming the other way wearing his - we both said "Nice shirt" and gave a fist bump.

Wilt

What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
Absolutely :lol:

Never worn a football shirt in my life ….never will.

dove

Never had a shirt with a player's name on the back, think it's weird. I support the club, not individuals. I wear them at home mostly because walking like an alive advertising board in public is not my style, would definitely wear them if not for sponsors taking half the shirt.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Have not had a new Utd top since the Sharp days but i do pick up some of the training polo tops. Some of the navy and blue polo tops from that last few seasons have been nice, with a very small 'Aon' under the badge. I do prefer collars on kits though, but that seems to be a thing of the past now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If someone whatever age likes to wear football shirts fair enough.

But anyone over 12 who's wearing a full kit down the shops or anywhere needs to reevaluate their life choices.
Wearing a full kit is questionable even when you are playing football when you reach a certain age. Only millions of euros can justify it.

fergies coat

I don't wear them anymore, but don't see a problem with anyone else wearing them. Who cares what other people think. I'm 37 and still wear joggers or shorts outside the house. I'd rather be comfortable.

Judas

Open to offers
Weird. This includes wearing it at the match, especially if you’re going on the drink all day before and after.

Evening football (e.g. 7-a-side) is just about acceptable, and even then it’s just as easy and cheap to wear a Nike top for a few quid from Sports Direct.

EDIT: Upon reflection, I’ve decided that wearing one inside the house to watch a game on television is by far the weirdest of them all.
Thought this was silly even as a child. Very bizarre behaviour I think. I suppose at least your cat or dog will know who you support?

PeteManic

I like wearing them from time to time. Especially when out running. No names and numbers on them since about 1997 though.

Ananke

I saw this weird bloke at Tesco the other day just staring at this middle aged woman in a City shirt. I actually thought in my head “that’s embarrassing.”

I go out shopping pretty often but I never just think “I’m gonna pop down the shops, just going to weirdly stare at middle aged womens shirts.”
I had a feeling someone was watching me.

Oh, you meant the City top? That too.
Mainly this.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Wasn’t there a thread started that asked do people care less about what others think about them as they get older, by looking at this quite a few still care, I couldn’t give a feck what anyone thinks, I wear a jersey to work everyday, as does half the factory, there light, comfortable and quite fecking durable and dry quick.

Deery

Dreary
Thought this was silly even as a child. Very bizarre behaviour I think. I suppose at least your cat or dog will know who you support?
Bizarre behaviour to wear a top watching a match? Really? Bizarre? feck me..

Judas

Open to offers
Bizarre behaviour to wear a top watching a match? Really? Bizarre? feck me..
Sat at home in your little football shirt to watch the match on tv just seems a bit funny to me (to you), you don't have to be an angry little muffin about it. I mostly see Liverpool fans doing it on twitter, like when they were all doing a guard of honour in their living room. Hilarious.

Sounds of the Aquarium

i have a variety of united, england and random european shirts which i mainly sleep in as they are light and comfortable. i would also wear them to the gym and 5-aside when i wasn't such a lazy arse.
The only one i wear to the pub is my short sleeve 50th 1968 anniversary shirt as its actually quite smart and really subtle and doesnt look like a united shirt at all (i live in a large arsenal and spurs hotspot!).
I never quite understand a fully grown adult wearing their brand new shirt, stretched by their beer gut with "DAVE 7" on the back whilst out food shopping etc. :lol:

Deery

Dreary
Sat at home in your little football shirt to watch the match on tv just seems a bit funny to me (to you), you don't have to be an angry little muffin about it. I mostly see Liverpool fans doing it on twitter, like when they were all doing a guard of honour in their living room. Hilarious.
Not angry just flabbergasted. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting settled in and into the mood with a jersey on and few snacks ready for the match.

My first dog was called Muffin btw.

flappyjay

I wear the jerseys all the time their part of my stable. The United golf shirts and training tops being the favorites. Here in Botswana and in South Africa it's normal to wear team jerseys. Americans seem to wear baseball, hand egg and basketball shirts no problem too. Is it an England thing to view replica jerseys as a clothing item for kids.

Andy_Cole

I like them. I’m a massive sports enthusiast. Really like basketball merchandise too. Not a huge fan wearing my united shirts around Manchester weirdly enough, just stick to the gym. But I do quite like wearing my European/ international shirts.

That said I’ve just paid £80 on an away Ronaldo shirt and will be planning to wear that out. The bus wankers can laugh at me whilst I’m driving in my really expensive car.

fergies coat

It's weird that in America it's acceptable to wear a jersey or a cap with a team logo, but if you walking round here with a united cap and shirt on people think your weird.

WakeAndBeek

A no name/custom name shirt is fine as an adult in casual settings for me, but wearing a player’s name on the back over the age of say 18 comes across a bit odd.