Afghanistan

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Seen a few comments on this. Do people accept the Pakistani government to just sleep on an insurgent uprising that just ousted a government of 20 years? :houllier:
Aren't people just commenting on that guy looking like a character from The Godfather?

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Aren't people just commenting in that guy looking like a character from The Godfather?
Oh.... right :nervous:

Anyway, read some conspiracy regarding this before. Even if true I doubt the conspiracy/backing meetings would be in the open. They probably couldn't send the PM as that would mean you recognize the state.

Hoof the ball

So sad. Our family has friends in Afghanistan who are Afghani Christians and they're now in hiding because another large group of their friends (also Afghani Christian) were found and shot dead when some Taliban death squad found them.

They caught a popular Afghani comedian too, who mocked them on TikTok, posted a video, drove him to his place of execution and murdered him too.

The Firestarter

So sad. Our family has friends in Afghanistan who are Afghani Christians and they're now in hiding because another large group of their friends (also Afghani Christian) were found and shot dead when some Taliban death squad found them.

They caught a popular Afghani comedian too, who mocked them on TikTok, posted a video, drove him to his place of execution and murdered him too.
But but they are saying the right things...

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Taliban victory pretty much complete.

Now let’s see if they can hold together.

Aren't people just commenting on that guy looking like a character from The Godfather?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The Netflix documentary series "Turning point" is a compelling watch which I can recommend to all contributing to this thread.

Zlatattack

I do wonder why he was visiting Kabul

You seem to know what you're talking about - do you think the Pakistani military need to send their own guys to fight a few thousand resistance fighters? Considering there are tens of thousands of jihadi cannon fodder available.

Also if they did - do you think they'd take ID cards into the battle field with them?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You seem to know what you're talking about - do you think the Pakistani military need to send their own guys to fight a few thousand resistance fighters? Considering there are tens of thousands of jihadi cannon fodder available.

Also if they did - do you think they'd take ID cards into the battle field with them?
Yes, the Taliban could use the close air support (aka helicopters) to get into the topography of Panshir to strafe and shoot missles at NA positions, which would soften them up for the convoys of Taliban fighters to move in from the ground. The Pakistani military would be invaluable in helping in this regard, and would in the process ingratiate the ISI further with the new Afghan government.

Zlatattack

The propaganda coming out against Pakistan is just very poor quality. Take a look at the examples below. The Indian media using footage from video games as evidence of Pakistani involvement in Panjshir.

and

This whole thread on fake news coming out of Panjshir is a good read...

Also this is a classic, Indian media showing footage of a USAF F-15 over Wales, as evidence of Pakistani involvement in Panjshir.

Zlatattack

Yes, the Taliban could use the close air support (aka helicopters) to get into the topography of Panshir to strafe and shoot missles at NA positions, which would soften them up for the convoys of Taliban fighters to move in from the ground. The Pakistani military would be invaluable in helping in this regard, and would in the process ingratiate the ISI further with the new Afghan government.
See my post above.

Also if only our country was pro-active like this - no, this is Pakistan. Always reactive, always cautious, always a day late and a dollar short.

Spoony

The People's President
The propaganda coming out against Pakistan is just very poor quality. Take a look at the examples below. The Indian media using footage from video games as evidence of Pakistani involvement in Panjshir.

and

This whole thread on fake news coming out of Panjshir is a good read...

Also this is a classic, Indian media showing footage of a USAF F-15 over Wales, as evidence of Pakistani involvement in Panjshir.

I'd be careful with any news coming out of Afghanistan.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Taliban victory pretty much complete.

Now let’s see if they can hold together.

:D

I was actually going to write 'US Italian mafia films and series', but then I thought I am pedantic enough as it is and went with The Godfather as a (mistaken, I knew) shorthand.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

That old-chestnut. Just like they found passports of 9/11 terrorists on ground zero.

Pakistan or any other country will do whatever benefits their national interest. That's the way of the world.

Foxbatt

The Pakistanis are not stupid. Also why would The Taliban suddenly need PAF and commandos to fight a few thousand people when they didn't need any help to beat the Afghani army and take over Kabul? Furthermore the Americans would be the first to know if the Pakistani Air force was involved.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Pakistanis are not stupid. Also why would The Taliban suddenly need PAF and commandos to fight a few thousand people when they didn't need any help to beat the Afghani army and take over Kabul? Furthermore the Americans would be the first to know if the Pakistani Air force was involved.
Its not outside the realm of possibility. The ISI chief flying to Kabul just days after the US leaves wouldn't exactly lead an objective observer to think they weren't involved in Afghanistan. There is no rational reason for him to be there other than to cooperate in some regard.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Important question time. Is it Afghan or Afghani?

TwoSheds

Afghan for the people, Afghani for the currency.
Right, so Afghani is a word then but not for the people, language, culture or anything? Just the Afghan Afghani. Cheers!

2cents

Scout
Right, so Afghani is a word then but not for the people, language, culture or anything? Just the Afghan Afghani. Cheers!
That’s my understanding in English usage, although it may be different in other languages.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

remembering that caitlin flanagan article about human rights and the US' noble mission on behalf of afghan women, and making myself angry.

e - reading the full article linked in the tweet now, it's pretty captivating.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

remembering that caitlin flanagan article about human rights and the US' noble mission on behalf of afghan women, and making myself angry.

e - reading the full article linked in the tweet now, it's pretty captivating.
For some reason I can't see Twitter posts without making an account. What's the gist here?

Foxbatt

Its not outside the realm of possibility. The ISI chief flying to Kabul just days after the US leaves wouldn't exactly lead an objective observer to think they weren't involved in Afghanistan. There is no rational reason for him to be there other than to cooperate in some regard.
It's absolutely a given that they are involved in Afghanistan. I don't think even the Pakistanis would deny that. But they don't need their regular military involved in any actual fighting.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For some reason I can't see Twitter posts without making an account. What's the gist here?
This was the part that was screenshotted:

In this way, Shakira’s tragedies mounted. There was Muhammad, a fifteen-year-old cousin: he was killed by a buzzbuzzak, a drone, while riding his motorcycle through the village with a friend. “That sound was everywhere,” Shakira recalled. “When we heard it, the children would start to cry, and I could not console them.”

Muhammad Wali, an adult cousin: Villagers were instructed by coalition forces to stay indoors for three days as they conducted an operation, but after the second day drinking water had been depleted and Wali was forced to venture out. He was shot.

Khan Muhammad, a seven-year-old cousin: His family was fleeing a clash by car when it mistakenly neared a coalition position; the car was strafed, killing him.

Bor Agha, a twelve-year-old cousin: He was taking an evening walk when he was killed by fire from an Afghan National Police base. The next morning, his father visited the base, in shock and looking for answers, and was told that the boy had been warned before not to stray near the installation. “Their commander gave the order to target him,” his father recalled.

Amanullah, a sixteen-year-old cousin: He was working the land when he was targeted by an Afghan Army sniper. No one provided an explanation, and the family was too afraid to approach the Army base and ask.

Ahmed, an adult cousin: After a long day in the fields, he was headed home, carrying a hot plate, when he was struck down by coalition forces. The family believes that the foreigners mistook the hot plate for an I.E.D.

Niamatullah, Ahmed’s brother: He was harvesting opium when a firefight broke out nearby; as he tried to flee, he was gunned down by a buzzbuzzak.

Gul Ahmed, an uncle of Shakira’s husband: He wanted to get a head start on his day, so he asked his sons to bring his breakfast to the fields. When they arrived, they found his body. Witnesses said that he’d encountered a coalition patrol. The soldiers “left him here, like an animal,” Shakira said.

Entire branches of Shakira’s family tree, from the uncles who used to tell her stories to the cousins who played with her in the caves, vanished. In all, she lost sixteen family members. I wondered if it was the same for other families in Pan Killay. I sampled a dozen households at random in the village, and made similar inquiries in other villages, to insure that Pan Killay was no outlier. For each family, I documented the names of the dead, cross-checking cases with death certificates and eyewitness testimony. On average, I found, each family lost ten to twelve civilians in what locals call the American War.

it's very long but i'd recommend the full article: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/09/13/the-other-afghan-women

Zlatattack

These are exclusive images of the Pakistani Special services Colonel killed in Panjshir. This Afghan journalist got access to these images before anyone else.

Some Indian members might also remember him as being killed in the imaginary Karachi based civil war reported exclusively by the Indian media last year.

2cents

Scout
This was the part that was screenshotted:

In this way, Shakira’s tragedies mounted. There was Muhammad, a fifteen-year-old cousin: he was killed by a buzzbuzzak, a drone, while riding his motorcycle through the village with a friend. “That sound was everywhere,” Shakira recalled. “When we heard it, the children would start to cry, and I could not console them.”

Muhammad Wali, an adult cousin: Villagers were instructed by coalition forces to stay indoors for three days as they conducted an operation, but after the second day drinking water had been depleted and Wali was forced to venture out. He was shot.

Khan Muhammad, a seven-year-old cousin: His family was fleeing a clash by car when it mistakenly neared a coalition position; the car was strafed, killing him.

Bor Agha, a twelve-year-old cousin: He was taking an evening walk when he was killed by fire from an Afghan National Police base. The next morning, his father visited the base, in shock and looking for answers, and was told that the boy had been warned before not to stray near the installation. “Their commander gave the order to target him,” his father recalled.

Amanullah, a sixteen-year-old cousin: He was working the land when he was targeted by an Afghan Army sniper. No one provided an explanation, and the family was too afraid to approach the Army base and ask.

Ahmed, an adult cousin: After a long day in the fields, he was headed home, carrying a hot plate, when he was struck down by coalition forces. The family believes that the foreigners mistook the hot plate for an I.E.D.

Niamatullah, Ahmed’s brother: He was harvesting opium when a firefight broke out nearby; as he tried to flee, he was gunned down by a buzzbuzzak.

Gul Ahmed, an uncle of Shakira’s husband: He wanted to get a head start on his day, so he asked his sons to bring his breakfast to the fields. When they arrived, they found his body. Witnesses said that he’d encountered a coalition patrol. The soldiers “left him here, like an animal,” Shakira said.

Entire branches of Shakira’s family tree, from the uncles who used to tell her stories to the cousins who played with her in the caves, vanished. In all, she lost sixteen family members. I wondered if it was the same for other families in Pan Killay. I sampled a dozen households at random in the village, and made similar inquiries in other villages, to insure that Pan Killay was no outlier. For each family, I documented the names of the dead, cross-checking cases with death certificates and eyewitness testimony. On average, I found, each family lost ten to twelve civilians in what locals call the American War.

it's very long but i'd recommend the full article: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/09/13/the-other-afghan-women
Quality journalism.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

If you didn't know already, I'll let you know -- the twitter news on this panjshir issue is mass misinformation to the max. Try not to pay attention to it or spread it around. Photos and videos too are often not verified.

We've been hearing about Panjshir resistance killing 400 insurgents a day and yet they're set for defeat. There's a lot of propaganda going on there.

Some prominent leaders were sharing tweets of a downed F-16 ffs which turned out to be from a video game. Besides, the idea Pakistani or any nation commandos are fighting in Panjshir is absolutely ridiculous. The most that could happen is arms support from both ends but no country is going to get themselves involved in this mess for very little return.

Not to mention, countries that were previously quick to recognize Taliban are very cautious this time around. No one is going to openly send their commandos to Panjshir.

What I think is happening here is some face saving. They valley tried to peddle a myth about them being some sort of unconquerable inaccessible pit of terror. In reality, the situation is very different this time around and it's not all that difficult.

I can't help but feel sorry for Massoud's son though. By reports, he was ready to broker a deal but greedy folks whispered into his ear to keep fighting. Now he's ready to sit at the table with absolutely zero leverage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you didn't know already, I'll let you know -- the twitter news on this panjshir issue is mass misinformation to the max. Try not to pay attention to it or spread it around. Photos and videos too are often not verified.

We've been hearing about Panjshir resistance killing 400 insurgents a day and yet they're set for defeat. There's a lot of propaganda going on there.

Some prominent leaders were sharing tweets of a downed F-16 ffs which turned out to be from a video game. Besides, the idea Pakistani or any nation commandos are fighting in Panjshir is absolutely ridiculous. The most that could happen is arms support from both ends but no country is going to get themselves involved in this mess for very little return.

Not to mention, countries that were previously quick to recognize Taliban are very cautious this time around. No one is going to openly send their commandos to Panjshir.

What I think is happening here is some face saving. They valley tried to peddle a myth about them being some sort of unconquerable inaccessible pit of terror. In reality, the situation is very different this time around and it's not all that difficult.

I can't help but feel sorry for Massoud's son though. By reports, he was ready to broker a deal but greedy folks whispered into his ear to keep fighting. Now he's ready to sit at the table with absolutely zero leverage.
I agree, its a mess. I've noticed that a lot of the information is coming from either NA propaganda feeds or Indian media.

TwoSheds

All depends on the language. Makes it a bit confusing because Afghan was historically also an ethnicity.
So what's the main Afghan language then? Do they call each other Afghan or Afghani?

2cents

Scout
@TwoSheds turns out there’s an Afghan musician called Qais Essar who has a series of albums titled I am Afghan, Afghani is Currency, listen here - https://m.soundcloud.com/qaisessar/sets/i-am-afghan-afghani-is-currency

“He explained how the title, I am Afghan, Afghani is Currency, was a cheeky testament to the objectification of Afghani culture and people.​
“Afghani is [a word] commonly used for inanimate objects, like an Afghani rug,” he said.”​

https://www.kajalmag.com/qais-essars-i-am-afghanvol-ii-positions-him-as-our-budding-ustad/