g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ahmaud Arbery Murder Trial / all three defendants found guilty of murder & hate crimes

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thank you for splitting the threads. That joint one was confusing. This is the trial I'm far more interested in because of how egregious it is.
Same. The other trial is a bit of a mess I am sorry to say.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thank you for splitting the threads. That joint one was confusing. This is the trial I'm far more interested in because of how egregious it is.
Had no idea when I amended this thread to include the other concurrent trial that such a new thread would emerge! My apologies.

Drainy

re-posting as my previous post with it seems to have been lost in the clean up :)

To the best of my knowledge:

- Arbery would wander into the house and look around regularly. He wasn't ever told not to do so and was doing no harm - at worst, loitering rather than trespass
- The homeowner would call the police and his neighbours about it, asking to detain him should they catch him (he originally denied this but got caught out on cross)
- The police weren't very helpful so the neighbours set up a watch to try and get him themselves
- The police didn't dissuade this approach but told them the charges would be misdemeanour
- on the day one neighbour saw Arbery and alerted the others, he called the non-emergency number for the police
- The events you have all seen happened. The chase lasted 5 minutes

Key point is that McMichaels/ Bryan were advised by the police the worst that Arbery could be charged with was a misdemeanour so that would undermine the citizens arrest so guilty of murder even if Arbery was grabbing for the gun, from what I understand.

Cloud7

Unfortunately, this trial has the possibility of far more civil unrest if there is some perversion of justice.
To be fair, this one is far more just outright racism and far more of a disgusting crime so if there is a perversion of justice here the response should rightly be more significant.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

re-posting as my previous post with it seems to have been lost in the clean up :)

To the best of my knowledge:

- Arbery would wander into the house and look around regularly. He wasn't ever told not to do so and was doing no harm - at worst, loitering rather than trespass
- The homeowner would call the police and his neighbours about it, asking to detain him should they catch him (he originally denied this but got caught out on cross)
- The police weren't very helpful so the neighbours set up a watch to try and get him themselves
- The police didn't dissuade this approach but told them the charges would be misdemeanour
- on the day one neighbour saw Arbery and alerted the others, he called the non-emergency number for the police
- The events you have all seen happened. The chase lasted 5 minutes

Key point is that McMichaels/ Bryan were advised by the police the worst that Arbery could be charged with was a misdemeanour so that would undermine the citizens arrest so guilty of murder even if Arbery was grabbing for the gun, from what I understand.
The cop also testified that he would have only given Arbery a trespass warning if he had been able to get to the scene before the necks murdered Arbery.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Since the post didn't get moved over:
'We don't want any more Black pastors coming in here,' says defense attorney in Arbery death trial

"If we're going to start a precedent, starting yesterday, where we're going to bring high-profile members of the African American community into the courtroom to sit with the family during the trial in the presence of the jury, I believe that's intimidating and it's an attempt to pressure -- could be consciously or unconsciously -- an attempt to pressure or influence the jury," attorney Kevin Gough said Thursday in court in Brunswick, Georgia.

Gough said Thursday he had "nothing personally against" Sharpton, adding, "We don't want any more Black pastors coming in here or other Jesse Jackson, whoever was in here earlier this week, sitting with the victim's family trying to influence a jury in this case."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/11/us/ahmaud-arbery-trial-defense-attorney-black-pastors/index.html

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
All of them should get 25-life. This is premeditated murder. They're actually waiting for him and instead of calling the cops They're calling one another for a piece of action.

Knowing full well a black people wont likely respond well being accused of things and any sort of reaction would be a reason for killing him.

Disgusting how shits like this can still happens in 2021

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The defense claims that the night in question, the trio of vigilantes had "probable cause" that Arbery committed a crime and allegedly sought to detain him with a citizen's arrest. Troubling is the continued use of the word "plundering " to describe Arbery's actions despite no actual theft from Arbery. This is really a good example of how far the right-wing intends to go and highlights even further problems with some of America's arcane laws that resulted from a different era and from pure racism.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The defense claims that the night in question, the trio of vigilantes had "probable cause" that Arbery committed a crime and allegedly sought to detain him with a citizen's arrest. Troubling is the continued use of the word "plundering " to describe Arbery's actions despite no actual theft from Arbery. This is really a good example of how far the right-wing intends to go and highlights even further problems with some of America's arcane laws that resulted from a different era and from pure racism.
Apparently a citizen’s arrest through that law is only if the person commits a felony.

The cop testified that he would have just given Arbery a warning if he had been able to get to the scene in time.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Apparently a citizen’s arrest through that law is only if the person commits a felony.

The cop testified that he would have just given Arbery a warning if he had been able to get to the scene in time.
I read that as well. Also, that the McMichaels/Bryant never once said "citizen's arrest" when they were trying to capture Arbery. Should be a fairly easy case to decide and the judge is light years more objective than the Rittenhouse trial but it is Georgia so who knows.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I read that as well. Also, that the McMichaels/Bryant never once said "citizen's arrest" when they were trying to capture Arbery. Should be a fairly easy case to decide and the judge is light years more objective than the Rittenhouse trial but it is Georgia so who knows.
It doesn’t seem like the self defense argument will gain any real traction with the jury. Arbery doesn’t have a skateboard or other lethal weapons on his person.

Skizzo

Citizens arrests can be made for misdemeanors committed in the presence of a person. Even for peace officers there’s restrictions in terms of arresting for misdemeanors not committed in the presence of an officer, although there are exceptions. Not sure if that differs state to state, but California is like that at least.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Citizens arrests can be made for misdemeanors committed in the presence of a person. Even for peace officers there’s restrictions in terms of arresting for misdemeanors not committed in the presence of an officer, although there are exceptions. Not sure if that differs state to state, but California is like that at least.
It probably does because Georgia's law was an artifact of slavery. It just mentions "escaping from a felony" here.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/26/1048...st-law-in-the-trial-over-ahmaud-arberys-death

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This particular law in Georgia apparently states that there can be an arrest only during the commission of a felony. It is an arcane law that was written in 1863. You can guess what the felony was in the South on which the law was focusing.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You an attorney or just someone with an interest in the law?
Some good friends and family are attorneys. I consulted on some cases a while ago (not about the legal aspects though haha).

Skizzo

It probably does because Georgia's law was an artifact of slavery. It just mentions "escaping from a felony" here.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/26/1048...st-law-in-the-trial-over-ahmaud-arberys-death

This particular law in Georgia apparently states that there can be an arrest only during the commission of a felony. It is an arcane law that was written in 1863. You can guess what the felony was in the South on which the law was focusing.
I thought there might be some nuances. Looking at the code before repeal, it does list a lot of violations.

Rules and regulations regarding citizen’s arrest in Georgia can be found under Section 17-4-60 through 61 of the Georgia Criminal Code. Established during the late 1860s, the law authorizes private citizens to make an arrest of others if a crime is committed in their presence or in cases in which they have immediate knowledge that one occurred. It applies when a suspected felony crime is committed, such as:

No property crime should ever lead to injury or death though. Be a good witness and pass along the info you have. None of what I said excuses the behavior of those people, and in no way do I think they were in the right.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I thought there might be some nuances. Looking at the code before repeal, it does list a lot of violations.

No property crime should ever lead to injury or death though. Be a good witness and pass along the info you have. None of what I said excuses the behavior of those people, and in no way do I think they were in the right.
Agreed. Surprising that "white collar" crimes like embezzlement are even on there. I can't imagine someone trying to make a citizen's arrest on Bernie Madoff, though that would have been a great video to watch.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Interesting to see how many crimes have been added to the law since its inception.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
While the younger McMichaels had better coaching by a mile than Rittenhouse (or Grosskreutz) and he evades admitting he lied ("I misspoke"), his testimony is fairly damning.

He's admitted to the prosecutor he could have done a half-dozen other things other than pursue and corner Arbery the way he did up to the point of his murder. He's admitted to not calling the police as he should have done. He's admitted to a history of social media posts where he endorses vigilantism and sounds like he is endorsing vigilante violence in response to property crimes. He's admitted to never saying anything about a citizen's arrest (his entire defense claim). He never established anything about his "probable cause" claim either other than Arbery looked like this guy in the photos he saw.

If this murdering clown gets off because he "felt threatened" and acted in "Self-defense" there will definitely be some serious trouble.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Bryan's attorney Kevin Gough really doubling down. He felt the need to report somewhere wearing a "black lives matter mask" in the foyer of the courthouse. This guy has some serious issues.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Bryan's attorney Kevin Gough really doubling down. He felt the need to report somewhere wearing a "black lives matter mask" in the foyer of the courthouse. This guy has some serious issues.
Is the strategy to appear so blatantly racist that no one notices when the all but one white jury acquits for "reasons"?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Is the strategy to appear so blatantly racist that no one notices when the all but one white jury acquits for "reasons"?
I think Marcello might be right, he's going to run for public office!