Ajax - Golden Generation

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Exactly, look how they’ve developed and look at us.
Exactly what? You said they weren't particularly good. Over 2 legs they've been better than every opponent so far in the CL which includes Bayern, Real Madrid and Juventus which are 3 of the 5 best teams in the Europe for the past years. They average 3.5 goals per game in their league and they are in the finals of the cup which means they can do the treble.

They've simply been outstanding this season in the Champions League and I don't think it's unfair to City, Spurs, Liverpool or Barca that they've been performing the best. I fancy them against any side.

Red Star One

How do they motivate their players? On paper they’re not a better team than us - and if so, it’s marginal - but you just know we’d be out against Real or Juve, and our fluke against PSG means nothing as Ajax was a better team in both of those draws. How do they do it and why we can’t do the same?

the_irish123

I think its a case of one world class player lifting the level of a bunch of nice players (but just that). I'm talking about De Ligt, I think he's that good. I don't see another talent in Ajax that can be deemed world class, De Jong really didn't stand out at all.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Meanwhile at the other side of the passing spectrum:

He had all the time in the world to switch it to right midfield/give it to Smalling. He already tried to force it through the crowd on the line and it got intercepted. So why he's insisting on it, I'll never know. Even Pogba tells him to switch but he's like nah, let me skill Rakatic real quick.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He had all the time in the world to switch it to right midfield/give it to Smalling. He already tried to force it through the crowd on the line and it got intercepted. So why he's insisting on it, I'll never know. Even Pogba tells him to switch but he's like nah, let me skill Rakatic real quick.
Jones pointed him to the right pass twice.

el3mel

Incredible CL run. It's great for football and anyone interested in sport should be happy for them. That's what a proper structure gets you.

Muhammad Fauzi

Incredible CL run. It's great for football and anyone interested in sport should be happy for them. That's what a proper structure gets you.
With Woodward and Glazers in charge. We will not reach this level. It’s a shame. But what do they care about the club right? No point us trying to be angry as it will not change anything.

quackattack

Because they have footballers who can play football while we have the likes of Smalling, Young and Jones who treat the ball like it was a ticking bomb that needs to be dumped as far as possible as fast as possible.
Yeah, that's easy to see, but why can't United field players who want to play? (And bleed for the club).

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
They're top of the league and in a very winnable cup final, so they could even do the treble this season.

If they pull that off while getting past Real, Juve, City, and Barca/Liverpool in the Champions League, I wonder if that would surpass Leicester's title as an upset story.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Still couldn't beat Bayern :P

Incredible really, it's melts my heart to see a team built from ones academy and with smart signings rather than big money splashs. I hope they feck over City/Spurs and win it over all the money grabbers left in the competition. I wish football went back to the days when football focused more on development than buying your way to the league.

TheGame

Having seen the highlights against Juventus, they truly play amazing football. They dominated the game and it would be amazing if they could win it compared to all of the big spending teams left.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's both amazing and bizarre seeing Dusan Tadic put in immense performances in the CL knockout stage. Makes you wonder how many other players are out there just waiting to be unleashed through good coaching etc.

ryadmahrez

This is ajax team is a true golden generation. This accomplishment from this team beats what ajax did in 95. The Ajax from 95 had a fairly easy run. They beat hadjuk split in the quarter finals that year(there were no 8th finals), in the semis they beat bayern munich(that finished 6th in their league that year and beat the swedish goteburg in quarter finals) and in the final against milan they got a bit lucky. Those were very different times, now such an easy road to the finals is unimaginable. But this ajax team is far more impressive, they had to beat high quality teams to get even to the semi finals. Which is more impressive to me.

The 95 team had, kluivert, seedorf, davids, litmanen, overmars, vd sar, de boers, as standout talents. Kanu was also there, but wasnt first team that year. I think seedorf and davids played the longest topclass football (excluding vd sar) from those guys and in hindsight seedorf being rated the highest from the lot, but none of those players were ever considered top 10 players in the world or something ever. And seedorf always played second/third or even 4th fiddle in his teams, he never ever was the main man. So to me it isnt crazy at all to say this generation in 2019 is better, if your best player was seedorf. I think de ligt, de jong, and neres all have a chance to become greater players than seedorf, davids and kluivert(the best that came out of 95, maybe overmars instead of kluivert). With vd beek and ziyech with an outside chance to become top players in topfootball too.

KeanoMagicHat

Frenkie De Jong is a spectacular player, talking about modern Beckenbauer here. Haven't been as excited about a player in the defensive third of the pitch in a long time.

While there aren't exactly sweepers anymore, the way he takes control of the ball from deep and drives his team forward, the composure, the elegance and the confidence- he's done it against Juventus, Real, France and Germany now- is a sight to behold.

Reactions: Penna

Yakuza_devils

The media seems to be very quiet on the head coach.

Is he good? One for the future for Spurs or Southampton?

Welbeckham

So to me it isnt crazy at all to say this generation in 2019 is better, if your best player was seedorf. I think de ligt, de jong, and neres all have a chance to become greater players than seedorf, davids and kluivert(the best that came out of 95, maybe overmars instead of kluivert). With vd beek and ziyech with an outside chance to become top players in topfootball too.
It’s bit too early to make these calls, the current generation might not succeed outside Ajax. Litmanen was a fantastic player whose career was mostly destroyed by injuries and clueless managers. Davids, Frank De Boer, Seedorf, Van Der Sar all had very good careers. Kluivert peaked early, but was quite good at Barcelona.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
Watching this Ajax team makes me hate sugar daddy clubs more and more.
What makes them truly special is, they have outplayed each of the CL teams they have faced so far, never seen em park the bus & grind out the result.

I'd be rooting for them to win the CL if it wasn't for Liverpool, wouldn't cry if they won it though

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Team in 1995 had Rijkaard as well, let's not conveniently forget that. Guy like Reiziger being better than any current RB option. Peter van Vossen as a great option from the bench, he was a very talented player as well. All things considered they had more individual quality or talent than this Ajax side.

What's really fascinating about this current Ajax side though, is that they hardly have any pace. Frenkie recently stated in an interview that according to the stats, he's the second fastest player in the team. Probably shares that position with fullbacks Tagliafico and maybe Mazraoui. And while De Jong is deceptively quick with a nice acceleration, he's hardly Usain Bolt. T

The only really fast player is Neres, but that doesn't seem to hinder them as a team at all.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's both amazing and bizarre seeing Dusan Tadic put in immense performances in the CL knockout stage. Makes you wonder how many other players are out there just waiting to be unleashed through good coaching etc.
to be fair to Tadic, his talent was never the problem, he was just fiercely inconsistent at Southampton. He'd dominate one game and then have to be hauled off at the 55 min mark the next because he was making zero impact.

It's still a fair point though, in the right system, you don't have to buy the names we're all used to hearing.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Frenkie De Jong is a spectacular player, talking about modern Beckenbauer here. Haven't been as excited about a player in the defensive third of the pitch in a long time.

While there aren't exactly sweepers anymore, the way he takes control of the ball from deep and drives his team forward, the composure, the elegance and the confidence- he's done it against Juventus, Real, France and Germany now- is a sight to behold.
It's a bit weird, but he reminds me more of Cruyff than of Beckenbauer. The Kaiser was so lenient, almost nonchalant with the ball — while De Jong plays with Cruyff's tempo and directness (which is not at all surprising, considering Cruyff's influence on Ajax). Despite the fact that positional-wise he's obviously pretty much a carbon copy of Beckenbauer.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Team in 1995 had Rijkaard as well, let's not conveniently forget that. Guy like Reiziger being better than any current RB option. Peter van Vossen as a great option from the bench, he was a very talented player as well. All things considered they had more individual quality or talent than this Ajax side.

What's really fascinating about this current Ajax side though, is that they hardly have any pace. Frenkie recently stated in an interview that according to the stats, he's the second fastest player in the team. Probably shares that position with fullbacks Tagliafico and maybe Mazraoui. And while De Jong is deceptively quick with a nice acceleration, he's hardly Usain Bolt. T

The only really fast player is Neres, but that doesn't seem to hinder them as a team at all.
Indeed, this Ajax team is quite slow but their movement is fantastic. Very well-drilled and in the spirit of "if you run earlier, you seem faster" (a quote from Cruyff?).

ryadmahrez

Dont act like reiziger was a world beater. He was a solid back, with a great career for his talent. in todays game with the important role that fullbacks have now, he could never play for a team like barca. Mazroui for sure has the potential to be better than him.

And i disagree that 95 ajax Was better individually. De jong, de ligt and neres all have the potential to be better than any player from that 95 side. Apart from them ziyech, tadic, blind, onana tacliafico and vd beek are great players too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The way the play without any fear is so good to watch, their work rate, intensity in their game is superb.

Hopefully they go all the way and win the CL.

Johan07

I think its a case of one world class player lifting the level of a bunch of nice players (but just that). I'm talking about De Ligt, I think he's that good. I don't see another talent in Ajax that can be deemed world class, De Jong really didn't stand out at all.
What?
Daley Blind has outshone De Ligt so far in the CL. He was immense yesterday. De Ligt is an enormous talent but he has many steps left to take before he is world class. Ajax has a lot of great talent but who has really carried them this far in the CL are the more experienced players like Blind, Schöne and Tadic.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What?
Daley Blind has outshone De Ligt so far in the CL. He was immense yesterday. De Ligt is an enormous talent but he has many steps left to take before he is world class. Ajax has a lot of great talent but who has really carried them this far in the CL are the more experienced players like Blind, Schöne and Tadic.
Que?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

This was absolutely breathtaking football. Amazing.

I'd love them to win it and get back to where they once were. They were never a selling club when i was growing up. They're a proper club playing football the way its meant to be played. Not propped up by oil money, not a one man team, never a cloud of controversy over them.

As far as i can tell, despite being one of the most successful clubs in the history of football, they're a team nobody dislikes. Possibly the only one.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
United should be trying to take their entire managerial and director set up and bring them here to replicate the playing style. The teams gonna get torn apart so let’s pick up the brains behind it rather than the players.