Ajax - Golden Generation

Ban

This being the team we destroyed in the uefa final a couple of years ago. They aren’t particularly good just this years champs league surprise team
Well actually they're pretty good.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a shame that so much money has been put into football now, Ajax would've been a top side for a while with the players they've got.

spiriticon

Does Van der Sar get any credit for building this team?

When we played them in the Europa final a couple of years ago they were horrid.

VanBasten

Supports
Ajax
This being the team we destroyed in the uefa final a couple of years ago. They aren’t particularly good just this years champs league surprise team
That team didn't have De Jong, Neres, Tadic, Tagliafico...

Classical Mechanic

They’ve done very well and some of these players will go on to big things but they played Real when they were on their arse and that Juve side looks a bit rubbish on paper. I’d expect them to lose in the semi finals. It would be amazing if they won it though.

Lyricist

Did you watch them against Real or Juventus? They won convincingly in both ties and absolutely deserved to go through. These were not lucky surprise wins, where they somehow made it through in the end. They played incredibly well.

Rabbiz

Just shows all the things we are dong wrong. Homegrown, buying players with the right attitude, attacking and most important of all.. in the words of Louis van Gaal, philosophy. Ole is the right appointment, his heart beats for this club and he is competent enough to drive it forwards. Now we need the right people in the other areas of the football side of things.

Reactions: SteveJ

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Hope they go on and win it now. Would be an incredible story.

They can beat Spurs easily. It's whether City come back against Spurs is the issue.

Spotkick

To think that we let Blind go and stuck with Jones and Smalling is a disgrace.

Hoof the ball

This is a testament to the Dutch approach to the game.

Due to our experiences with LvG we automatically associate the Dutch method with slow, repetitive and ineffective passing, but if this proves something, it proves that the Dutch classic approach works wonderfully when you have the right players in the system all working harmoniously.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Well fair play to Ajax. I don't think they are going to win it, but I hope they do. Show's that money and marquee players isn't everything.

jesperjaap

I wouldnt call them the golden generation, more a great team, working for each other and a great attitude. Lets not forget Tadic played for Southampton, Blind for us. They have a fantastic player in De ligt and very good ones in De jong and the full backs are good too. But individually, although a really good side, they have over achieved already, this isnt DAvids, Seedorf, Litmanen, Van Der Sar etc etc.
Persoanlyl I think we will have an all English final this year

Robertd0803

Be great to see them win it. Out of the remaing teams they are by far the most likable. Although they will probably eliminate Barca and then get thrashed in the final.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Be great to see them win it. Out of the remaing teams they are by far the most likable. Although they will probably eliminate Barca and then get thrashed in the final.
Ajax is playing with the winner of City/Spurs..

Okey

I'm officially in love with this Ajax team. Playing the best football in the Champions league at the moment. I'd love to see them against Citeh. They have the very qualities that frighten Citeh. Some cracker that would be...

Pfmpd

Supports
Liverpool
Ajax vs Liverpool final. I think ajax will not get the respect from City ( yes spurs won't be able to handle city tomorrow) and ajax will just cut through city time after time.

But like that great Monaco side that was torn apart straight away.

I think ajax have a fantastic chance at winning the CL.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

They are a proper team with complete confidence in each others’ ability to take the ball under pressure. Coupled with their movement off the ball and an astonishing ability to attack and defend in packs, they are certainly the best footballing team I’ve seen this season.

Their last 4 European Cup games have shown a sustained footballing brilliance that makes me want them to win it this year before the team is cherry-picked (we could do with buying about 8 of them...seriously).

De Ligt must be bought at whatever cost (even after his error for the Ronaldo goal).

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They are a proper team with complete confidence in each others’ ability to take the ball under pressure. Coupled with their movement off the ball and an astonishing ability to attack and defend in packs, and they are certainly the best footballing team I’ve seen this season.

Their last 4 European Cup games have shown a sustained footballing brilliance that makes me want them to win it this year before the team is cherry-picked (we could do with buying about 8 of them...seriously).

De Ligt must be bought at whatever cost (even after his error for the Ronaldo goal).
They would atrophy here.

Lyricist

They are a proper team with complete confidence in each others’ ability to take the ball under pressure. Coupled with their movement off the ball and an astonishing ability to attack and defend in packs, and they are certainly the best footballing team I’ve seen this season.

Their last 4 European Cup games have shown a sustained footballing brilliance that makes me want them to win it this year before the team is cherry-picked.
Absolutely this!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
A feat and season that probably wont be achieved for a long time. League winners(*) cup winners(*) and a CL semi final.

Superb.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I wouldnt call them the golden generation, more a great team, working for each other and a great attitude. Lets not forget Tadic played for Southampton, Blind for us. They have a fantastic player in De ligt and very good ones in De jong and the full backs are good too. But individually, although a really good side, they have over achieved already, this isnt DAvids, Seedorf, Litmanen, Van Der Sar etc etc.
Persoanlyl I think we will have an all English final this year
Yeah and a lot of them are not really of the same generation.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

They would atrophy here.
Maybe, but then again, maybe not...they may not be the best 11 players in their respective positions in world football but I don’t see a team currently that has the same cohesive strength as that group of players has. They can attack you on either wing, through the middle, short or long passing, slow and fast build-ups; I think I’m a bit in love with them so will pipe down. They are bloody good, though; restored the joy of football to me since Ole’s honeymoon period ended...

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Yeah and a lot of them are not really of the same generation.
The whole opinion I made was I dont think individually many of them are golden, which is pretty much the meaning of a golden generation, but thanks for pointing out they are not the same age.

Dante

Average bang
Manchester United also beat Juventus over two legs in the CL this season. And whilst they beat Real, we beat PSG.

Not a lot in it. We just happened to face Messi at his clinical best and so Barca smashed us.

Schneckerl

Manchester United also beat Juventus over two legs in the CL this season. And whilst they beat Real, we beat PSG.

Not a lot in it. We just happened to face Messi at his clinical best and so Barca smashed us.
Did you watch all of those games? You should be able to see the difference.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
:drool:

fallengt

Skipped last 20minutes of Barca vs United and watch Juve-Ajax instead. Ajax was so good on the ball.

feck it. I'm going to support them in the UCL because our boy, Daley Blind used to play for us.

Last edited:

Giggs86

Why is this easy for Ajax and hard for United?
Because they have footballers who can play football while we have the likes of Smalling, Young and Jones who treat the ball like it was a ticking bomb that needs to be dumped as far as possible as fast as possible.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To think that we let Blind go and stuck with Jones and Smalling is a disgrace.
Agree. Always liked Blind. We need footballers with intelligence and technical ability. He wasn't too class but I preferred him to players who offer physicality on and more basic technical abilities.