g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdhrubs

Is it too much to expect a comfortable 2-0 win against a very young team who will concede a couple of naive goals with basic defending errors, say Fellaini getting on the end of a corner or leaving someone unmarked at the back post? Are we actually certain that Ajax are better than Celta Vigo?

I know it seems right now as if anyone could beat us after that performance, but could it actually be the case that Ajax aren't that good, that we were hoping to meet them earlier in the competition instead of teams like Lyon, Roma and Besiktas, and that we'll beat them easily without actually needing to play at our best?

Could that happen? Please?!

Reynoldo

Is it too much to expect a comfortable 2-0 win against a very young team who will concede a couple of naive goals with basic defending errors, say Fellaini getting on the end of a corner or leaving someone unmarked at the back post? Are we actually certain that Ajax are better than Celta Vigo?

I know it seems right now as if anyone could beat us after that performance, but could it actually be the case that Ajax aren't that good, that we were hoping to meet them earlier in the competition instead of teams like Lyon, Roma and Besiktas, and that we'll beat them easily without actually needing to play at our best?

Well we are due on like this just on the law of averages. I mean you could count on one hand, probably with a few fingers to spare, that amount of times we have had those games this season.

djdhrubs

Well we are due on like this just on the law of averages. I mean you could count on one hand, probably with a few fingers to spare, that amount of times we have had those games this season.
We've actually had a few games like this away from home against mediocre opposition. I'm just asking, partly out of hope and desperation, whether actually this might be a similar match?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well done on making the final. You guys don't have make hard work of it but you'll win it now. Can't see Ajax beating you, no way they'll keep you guys out for 90 minutes.

Bloedrood

Ajax and Celta were in the same group, 1 draw and 1 win for Ajax. They're at least on par. Underestimating them is the only way we can loose in my opinion.

minoo-utd

We need to be lucky like today. We need to play football unlike today. I'm still not sure what our tactics was ?

edcunited1878

"I am more than happy, more than happy if we win the Europa League. It was so difficult, so hard for me this season, so if we manage to do that it will be amazing."

peridigm

Well done on making the final. You guys don't have make hard work of it but you'll win it now. Can't see Ajax beating you, no way they'll keep you guys out for 90 minutes.
You having a laugh? I wouldn't bet on us to win a one sided coin toss at the moment.

GM K

Never seen a single Ajax game this season. How have they played so far? I know they aren't afraid of scoring goals. Are they better than us?
They are not better than us.

Lost to Kobenhvn. Lost to Schalke, Lost to Lyon. Almost lost to Celts de Vigo.

For all our unimpressive play, we have lost only once in the EL.

Ajax has a group of boys with a big future. They are adventurous and inventive going forward but they also miss a lot of chances and leak goals.

Infra-red

You having a laugh? I wouldn't bet on us to win a one sided coin toss at the moment.
1 win in our last 5 games (likely to be 1 in 6 after the weekend). We do need to get back to winning ways to build up some momentum. I think the danger here is that with Ibra, Bailly and Rojo out, we'll be too soft in both boxes and will end up missing numerous chances and conceding sloppy goals. We need to get Mata fit - he's one of the few players with European final experience and also has a decent record in front of goal.

GM K

Nick Viergever(Defender) will be missing for them.
Not sure how important he is for them ?
Very important. Think of Rojo.

He has been their most improved player.

He used to be their fourth choice center back until he really hit form. He pairs with Sanchez at the back and his good performances earned him a shirt for the Netherlands.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)

Ajax is better than Celta, outplayed them twice and are better now and then. Shaky defence though.

GM K

Do you know what really fecks me off? We win this final if we score more than one goal.

We have a great defensive record, but any good side can concede a goal. Score twice, and we'll win. It's all up to the manager to try and get this team to play with some zest and flair.
Pep and Klopp rolled into one can't get this team to play with some zest and flair. They just don't have it in them.

I'll be fine with any bus parking method as long as we win this EL and then, we should embark on a massive clear out. We need some decent footballers in this team.

Bloedrood

Very important. Think of Rojo.

He has been their most improved player.

He used to be their fourth choice center back until he really hit form. He pairs with Sanchez at the back and his good performances earned him a shirt for the Netherlands.
Just like today he lately has mostly been playing as left back, since their first leftback Sinkgraven got injured. Also why he got called up to national team I think, he made a few minutes in that position for them last game too. His replacement Riedewald is decent, but also young still.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
First thoughts on the starting XI from me:

Romero
Valencia---Smalling---Jones---Blind
Carrick
Herrera---Pogba
Mata---Rashford---Martial
Only difficult question there was Mkhitaryan or Martial for me.

GM K

Jose is a master at cup finals. He's going to ask for every single game Ajax has played this season and a twenty page dossier on each of their players, managers, physios and even owners. He will absolutely drill his boys. Don't expect any eye catching football. It will not be pretty but u can put your money on United winning the EL.

RAVred

I really hope Martial starts.. My guess is he starts vs spurs and doesn't have much of an impact, but you can't expect him to 1v11 their team or even Arsenal.. when we have a shite midfield he's shit.

The real problem solver for Jose and us is figuring out how rashford and martial can start together, how they should play etc.

Their our best attacking players available other than mkhitaryan on his day and mata if he's fit (personally don't want mata to start feel Ajax will be way too quick for him)

Devil may care

With Bailly unlikely get his red recinded I'd opt for this.

I imagine Blind will be dropped altogether though in favour of the crocks, Lingard will be favoured over Mata and Ajax will have a tall player who's a threat at set pieces so bog brush will play.

pseudo_canadian

And qualification via this route would be direct - no CL qualifying round in August as with a 4th place PL finish.
Even more reason as to why we should completely ditch the league and play a lot of youth players from here on out.

We simply cannot squander this opportunity.

cyberman

What side does their suspended fullback play on?
If it's the right then Mata has to play, apparently they don't have a reserve fullback for his position

Sigma

Feck sake, just realised I have an exam on the same date as the final. Instead of concentrating on the exam all I'm going to be thinking about is the final!
I have an exam 2 days before and an exam 2 days after

TonyMarshall

What side does their suspended fullback play on?
If it's the right then Mata has to play, apparently they don't have a reserve fullback for his position
It was the leftback and no they actually have a pretty decent reserve right back in Tete, Veltman seems to be first choice at right back.

The other left back in their squad is Sinkgraven. I think he was originally a centre mid.

vk20legend

I've not watched a single game of Ajax this season barring the goals highlights of them in EL.

Can someone summarize their performance this year and their threats and weaknesses? That would be of great help.

I've not gone through all the pages in this thread and if it's already been posted, please ignore. My bad.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
If Ajax has a good day, then United better watch out.
If it's not working, it will be a comfortable win for United, which is of course a 0-1 win, with squeeky bum time, but still as comfortable as United wins get.

Bojan11

I imagine Blind will be dropped altogether though in favour of the crocks, Lingard will be favoured over Mata and Ajax will have a tall player who's a threat at set pieces so bog brush will play.
Tuanzebe in a final?

Seriously? What is this based on? Utter madness some of the line ups people have got. They live in a fantasy world.

el3mel

If Ajax has a good day, then United better watch out.
If it's not working, it will be a comfortable win for United, which is of course a 0-1 win, with squeeky bum time, but still as comfortable as United wins get.
Can't see us winning this 1 - 0 that easily. Will be a nervous 2-1 win or something like that.

Devil may care

Tuanzebe in a final?

Seriously? What is this based on? Utter madness some of the line ups people have got. They live in a fantasy world.
Sometimes you have to have a little faith and give a kid a chance, if we had Bailly and Rojo fit I wouldn't suggest it, but I have no faith in either of the crocks.

el3mel

Sometimes you have to have a little faith and give a kid a chance, if we had Bailly and Rojo fit I wouldn't suggest it, but I have no faith in either of the crocks.
Forget this. Jose'll never do this. Smalling or Jones will be starting, possibly Smalling.

MrBest

Don't play blind! He's rubbish at the back, too short and not get awareness. I would risk playing tuanazbe. Play him against spurs and mid week, rest against palace. He's shown in 2 games he's up for it.

Romero ( has to play has been brilliant and that's not sentiment) Valencia tuanazbe smalling Damian/blind (sigh), Ander pogba fellaini, mkh martial rashford.

Sigma

Do people think it is wise to use the southampton game as a practice for the final? (i.e. start the same players)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Tuanzebe has played like one match...surely Smalling or Blind would be a better option for Cb

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Nick Viergever(Defender) will be missing for them.
Not sure how important he is for them ?
He is a nothing player that nobody rates and one of those players even the fans groan everytime he gets into the starting eleven.

Status
Not open for further replies.