Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPMUFC

Ajax have already qualified for CL, so this is more of a trophy hunt for them compared to our goals. I don't think they'll be flying out the gates and they have a suspect defence if the lyon tie has much to say about Ajax right now. Especially after losing one of their defenders in the second leg.

The plan should be to go out like we did against chelsea. Control the ball and score early. If we can get on the board quickly, I just don't see Ajax being a real threat.

Romero
Valencia - Jones - Blind - Darmian
Herrera - Fellaini/carrick - Pogba
Mata - Rashford - Mkhitaryan

GM K

Ajax are in very good form at the moment and mark my words, they will be a real threat for three main reasons:

1. We waste too many chances. Generally, we are a low scoring side and this is always a big problem because we then allow for too much pressure.

2. We seem to lack the ability to dominate possession. We have a lot of players in our squad who are simply not skilled at holding on to the ball or passing to retain possession. We like kicking the ball out from the back and hoping one of our players will get to it and our midfield loses the ball too early. Again, this does nothing but bring pressure after pressure.

3. The Ajax team is young, fast and fearless. In their last game, they fielded the youngest starting XI in Eredivisie history, with 24-year-old captain Davy Klaassen being the oldest player in a team boasting an average age of 20 years and 139 days. One thing is sure, they will relentlessly run at our defence and because we do not retain possession, this will happen over and over again in the game. As you know, when this happens, there is always a chance of conceding goals.

The flip side is that they lack experience and concede goals a lot. But what advantage is this if we create chances and don't score? Hardly any.

So, if there is any wish I have for the final, it is that our boys wear their scoring boots that day and work hard to at least equal Ajax in possession. It is just not the day to give up the ball too easily or throw chances away. I wish it would be like the EFL Final in terms of our conversion rate. We had about three clear chances from open play and scored two and then we scored a free kick from around the box. That was clinical and despite ceding possession a lot, we were efficient enough in attack to win the game.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What seed does this put us in for the CL group stage draw should we win? Does it depend on the individual club or does it put you in an automatic high spot like the big league champions get?

I wouldn't mind being a lower seed. I miss the European games against the big teams, so if we end up drawing a load of weaker teams we'd just end up going out in the groups anyway, and it wouldn't feel any different to the EL.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Ajax have already qualified for CL, so this is more of a trophy hunt for them compared to our goals. I don't think they'll be flying out the gates and they have a suspect defence if the lyon tie has much to say about Ajax right now. Especially after losing one of their defenders in the second leg.

The plan should be to go out like we did against chelsea. Control the ball and score early. If we can get on the board quickly, I just don't see Ajax being a real threat.

Romero
As of now they have to go through two rounds of qualifying(they were eliminated from the CL in qualifying this season) if they win they go straight to the group stages.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mourinho:

"It’s difficult but we know what we are doing and I don’t know other clubs, I don’t know the way they think, I don’t know what is important for them,” he said after the Spurs defeat.

“We, Manchester United, for us it is more important to win titles than to finish top four.

“So if we can win a third title, or like you like to say a second title, if we can do that it would be magnificent for us because we know that it’s a big objective.

“We know that if we lose the final we don’t play Champions League. We know that.

“But we fight for titles and probably other clubs finishing in the top four, probably they would like to be in our position to try and fight for the title.”

(Source: F365)

Bloedrood

They haven't, they qualified for the third qualifying round of the CL. Which means they're not certain of anything from this season's experience alone, they didn't qualify and ended up in the EL. But honestly I don't think anyone will need that extra motivation. For many of these Ajax players this will likely be the only chance to win an European prize with Ajax. Ajax last European final was 21 years ago, and most of their current team will be gone within a few years. Take Klaassen for example, their captain, he's leaving this summer. He's always fired up even in normal games, will be more so in this final, he'll want to end his 13 years at Ajax with a prize. We'd like to think this prize is more important to Manchester United, because of the Champions League qualification and what that means to our club. But that's exactly why this prize is more important to Ajax, because winning this European League for them is like winning the Champions League for us. In the current state of football the Europa League is seen as the highest attainable for a Dutch club, as a CL win just isn't seen as realistic anymore. Even many Dutch non Ajax supporters want to see Ajax win this, as they feel they represent Dutch football. Even the rival managers of Feyenoord and PSV are saying they're proud of Ajax. This final is huge in the Netherlands, almost half the Dutch population will probably be watching this game. Don't make the mistake to think they won't go above and beyond to win this, the only thing that could possibly hold them back is pressure and nerves.

So we better make sure we're up for it too.

Fracture90

The team I'd like to see :

DDG
Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Darmian
Carrick
Herrera, Pogba
Mikhi, Rashford, Martial

Team that will most likely be picked :

Romero
Fellaini, Herrera, Pogba
Lingard, Rashford, Mikhi

Parma Dewol

I'm getting nervous about this one already! Really hope we can come alive on the day. Our form has dipped massively since we conceded that our Premier League campaign was over. Going to be difficult to flick the switch back on next Wednesday, but I hope we play like we did against Chelsea and start with a super high intensity.

midnightmare

Think the team really picks itself for the most part with just a few positions open:

GK: I'd play DdG, but Jose's already said Romero will play (he's got an awful record in finals for the national team, though...)
Defence: Only question really is over whether we pick Smalling or Blind to partner Jones. Neither combination inspires any confidence
Midfield: Herrera and Pogba will play with either of Carrick or Fellaini. Given current form, I really can't pick as Carrick seems to have lost any mobility he once had, while Fellaini's disciplinary record and lack of skill are the stuff that legends are made of.
Strikers: Rashford is a given. I'd go with Martial and Mkhitaryan, but feel certain Lingard will displace one of them (more's the pity).

All in all, very nervous, but that's a lot because of injuries and suspension. With Rojo-Bailly and Zlatan in contention, I'd be so much more confident. Right now, just can't shake off the fear of a truly disastrous loss...

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
What seed does this put us in for the CL group stage draw should we win? Does it depend on the individual club or does it put you in an automatic high spot like the big league champions get?

I wouldn't mind being a lower seed. I miss the European games against the big teams, so if we end up drawing a load of weaker teams we'd just end up going out in the groups anyway, and it wouldn't feel any different to the EL.
Pot 2(If Arsenal don't make it).

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
This game is becoming more and more important. I just hope it does not get to the players

tomaldinho1

I just really hope Mou doesn't go in with an ultra defensive setup. Celta are not a good team and we made them look quality because we camped near our penalty box when out of possession and rarely committed players forward in attack.

Ajax are a good team, full of pace and we will be up against it if we let them keep probing. I would love to see us set up for, dare I say it, almost an LVG possession game where we just make them chase and chase whilst trying to get Rashford/Martial, Mhki in behind. I appreciate that makes for a potentially boring game but surely better watching than us against Celta second leg...

Mihai

Mourinho:

"It’s difficult but we know what we are doing and I don’t know other clubs, I don’t know the way they think, I don’t know what is important for them,” he said after the Spurs defeat.

“We, Manchester United, for us it is more important to win titles than to finish top four.

“So if we can win a third title, or like you like to say a second title, if we can do that it would be magnificent for us because we know that it’s a big objective.

“We know that if we lose the final we don’t play Champions League. We know that.

“But we fight for titles and probably other clubs finishing in the top four, probably they would like to be in our position to try and fight for the title.”

(Source: F365)
That's exactly how I see it as well. We need trophies and top 4 is not one.

zeekey

DDG
Carrick
Herrera, Pogba
Mikhi, Rashford, Martial

Romero
Fellaini, Herrera, Pogba
Lingard, Rashford, Mikhi
This will be the team I think.

dakingpin1999

Utd need to play exactly the same as they did against chelsea and they will win, if they play like most of the season and wait for things to happen then utd will lose as this team will run rings around them. If utd go defensive and concede first then they are fecked, as recent matches show that when utd concede first they dont know how to play and get back into the game as they only work on keeping it tight and hopefully we can scab a goal.

Classical Mechanic

Ajax are getting a lot of hype but they lost three of their knockout away games. I think that bodes well as it indicates one of their key strengths is playing at home.

GrandJury

It's also worth noting that while this seasons league campaign has been difficult we are notoriously difficult to beat.

I don't count the last two league games that we didn't even start our strongest available 11 in.

Jaxa

I am hoping the team looks something like this

--------------Romero ------------
------ ____--Carrick --------------------
_------
Herrera------Pogba--------
-
Mkhy------Rashford-----Martial

I think this is the strongest team we could put out currently and rather start him have someone like Fellaini and Mata on the bench to come in and make an impact, Lingard has been poor for the last few months now and so has Martial but I just feel Martial has much more in his bag and can pull out a world class move in seconds (if he wants too)

Also playing Carrick and pushing Pogba in a more advanced role because he has it in him to also score goals! i am an eternal optimist and know deep down Fellaini will play instead of Carrick and Lingard for Martial but one can dream :(

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

DDG
Carrick
Herrera, Pogba
Mikhi, Rashford, Martial

Romero
Fellaini, Herrera, Pogba
Lingard, Rashford, Mikhi
I think he'll go conservative and play this side.

After his performance against a great Spurs defence; I'd prefer Martial on the left with Mikhi on the right. The pace would give Ajax something to think about.
I don't mind Fellaini in midfield as it does give us aerial cover at set pieces

Inigo Montoya

Same, Smalling looks a liability this season.
Jones did finish the gae better yesterday than Smalling but I'd like to see them play as a partnership for the last 2 games to really get some understanding after the lay off

Daley020

Supports
AFC Ajax & MU
After all the posts I read on RC about the upcoming final, I think many of you guys really underestimate Ajax.
They will start furious with a lot of energy and high pression on the ball, something Man Utd isn't used to defend.

They also have a lot of quality in the back, a great keeper and some fantastic talented attackers whom are mostly inform.
For all of you who are interested; Ajax played their last league game yesterday with a 1-3 away victory with a B-Team.

They now have 10 days to reload their batteries before the final kick-off.

Probably the line-up for Ajax against Utd in the final;

Goal:
GK - Onana (very talented young bloke bought from Barca B 2 years ago, his first year as first team keeper after Cilissen went to Barca does absolutely great with a lot of great reflexes and strong footwork. Can also build up under pressure pretty good.)

Defence:
RB - Veltman (Most of Ajax supporters prefer Tete, but headcoach somehow still prefers Veltman who takes lots of stupid yellows and reds, already booked 3 reds in UL this season and all of those were pretty stupid.. If he wasn't subbed during 2nd half in Lyon, he also booked his 4th red. Probably one of the weakest players from the starting 11 that will have a very, very though game against a skilled player like Martial)

CB - Sanchez (Bought from Atleticó Nacional for 5M € this season he is absolutely beast. Great defence and power, but also very dangerous with headers and shots during free kicks and corners. One of the best this season.)

CB - De Ligt (Only 17 years old he plays with loads of confidence this season and proven he can defend the best strikers around. Sometimes a bit too much enthousiasm that results in ball loss or fauls like the penalty against Lyon, but a great defender who will have a great battle against Rashford).

LB - Riedewald (Played only a few games as starter this year and actually started as the new number '6' this season he went from starter to bench pretty fast. However, he played very good against Schalke and Lyon after injuries of Sinkgraven and a red for Viergever)

Midfield:
CDM - Schöne (The 'Veteran' of the Ajax line-up who played great in Eredivisie but against stronger (European) opponents had very difficult games. Pretty slow, most of the matches subbed during second half. But also great passing and shooting, will knock in a free kick from 30 meters or less to goal (Look up the free kick against Feyenoord in the 1st minute this season, great knuckleball).

CM - Klaassen (Captain and by far the most passionate player Ajax had the last decade. Great energy and working spirit, he is essential for the high pressure play of Ajax. Also great scoring abilities, if he has a good day against the Man Utd midfield it will be interesting to see. Will probably leave Ajax after the final for a club like Napoli)

CM - Ziyech (Creative midfielder who gave a lot of assists this season in both Eredivisie and UL. Tries to shoot in almost every angle around the goal but also misses a lot of those. Also very important in Bosz' plans of high pressure and attacking play Ajax plays this season. If he has a good day Ziyech will also be from the same level Man Utd is.)

Attack:
RW - Traoré
(From Chelsea on loan this season, his start was not very impressive. Later on the season he managed to fill in the striker position very good for a few games when Dolberg was injured. Still has a lot of potentional, great technique and speed but also a lot of slack if he isn't feeling in form.)

ST - Dolberg (Great season so far, both league and UL. Made 16 goals in Eredivise, was injured a month or 2. IMO the most potential to succeed at a top club in a year or 3, 4. Also very calm, looks like he is made of ice and doesn't feel any emotions. Defenitely someone to guard very closely as Utd defence.)

LW - Youness (short skillfull dribbler that reminds a bit of Messi in the short spaces. Always manages to succeed in his dribble but also has a very weak shot and finish. Much threat, low efficiency.)

Subs to watch (that will probably come on in final):
Kluivert - RW/LW
(On of the subs who most likely will come on the pitch during end of second half or extension. Fast technicall player with great moves.)
Neres - RW/LW (Same as Kluivert, maybe a bit more efficient)
Tete - RB (Fast and agressive back, great games this season but hasn't played very much.. Interesting to see if he maybe manages to convince the coach to start.. I hope so..)
van de Beek - CM (Great talent that looks a bit like the lesser copy of Klaassen. Will probably start next season if Klaassen will make a transfer)

Overall I think Utd will face a agressive and 100% motivated Ajax that will try to fight for every ball for 90 minutes with all they got. Sometimes probably very annoiing for Utd, but also pretty dangerous in counter and possession of the ball. This Ajax has loads of potential star players that, if they have a good day, will be equal to Utd in this match.

My prediction:

2-1 Ajax.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Ajax are barely average at any position but striker. We can score goals.
average like Bournemouth, Hull and other sides we struggled against? Have to say, I am not confident. we need a performance like the 1991 Cup Winners where our quick start surprised most people

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Romero
Of course they will fly out of the gates its not a friendly

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

After all the posts I read on RC about the upcoming final, I think many of you guys really underestimate Ajax.
They will start furious with a lot of energy and high pression on the ball, something Man Utd isn't used to defend.

They also have a lot of quality in the back, a great keeper and some fantastic talented attackers whom are mostly inform.
For all of you who are interested; Ajax played their last league game yesterday with a 1-3 away victory with a B-Team.

Goal:
GK - Onana (very talented young bloke bought from Barca B 2 years ago, his first year as first team keeper after Cilissen went to Barca does absolutely great with a lot of great reflexes and strong footwork. Can also build up under pressure pretty good.)

Defence:
RB - Veltman (Most of Ajax supporters prefer Tete, but headcoach somehow still prefers Veltman who takes lots of stupid yellows and reds, already booked 3 reds in UL this season and all of those were pretty stupid.. If he wasn't subbed during 2nd half in Lyon, he also booked his 4th red. Probably one of the weakest players from the starting 11 that will have a very, very though game against a skilled player like Martial)

CB - Sanchez (Bought from Atleticó Nacional for 5M € this season he is absolutely beast. Great defence and power, but also very dangerous with headers and shots during free kicks and corners. One of the best this season.)

CB - De Ligt (Only 17 years old he plays with loads of confidence this season and proven he can defend the best strikers around. Sometimes a bit too much enthousiasm that results in ball loss or fauls like the penalty against Lyon, but a great defender who will have a great battle against Rashford).

LB - Riedewald (Played only a few games as starter this year and actually started as the new number '6' this season he went from starter to bench pretty fast. However, he played very good against Schalke and Lyon after injuries of Sinkgraven and a red for Viergever)

Midfield:
CDM - Schöne (The 'Veteran' of the Ajax line-up who played great in Eredivisie but against stronger (European) opponents had very difficult games. Pretty slow, most of the matches subbed during second half. But also great passing and shooting, will knock in a free kick from 30 meters or less to goal (Look up the free kick against Feyenoord in the 1st minute this season, great knuckleball).

CM - Klaassen (Captain and by far the most passionate player Ajax had the last decade. Great energy and working spirit, he is essential for the high pressure play of Ajax. Also great scoring abilities, if he has a good day against the Man Utd midfield it will be interesting to see. Will probably leave Ajax after the final for a club like Napoli)

CM - Ziyech (Creative midfielder who gave a lot of assists this season in both Eredivisie and UL. Tries to shoot in almost every angle around the goal but also misses a lot of those. Also very important in Bosz' plans of high pressure and attacking play Ajax plays this season. If he has a good day Ziyech will also be from the same level Man Utd is.)

Attack:
RW - Traoré
(From Chelsea on loan this season, his start was not very impressive. Later on the season he managed to fill in the striker position very good for a few games when Dolberg was injured. Still has a lot of potentional, great technique and speed but also a lot of slack if he isn't feeling in form.)

ST - Dolberg (Great season so far, both league and UL. Made 16 goals in Eredivise, was injured a month or 2. IMO the most potential to succeed at a top club in a year or 3, 4. Also very calm, looks like he is made of ice and doesn't feel any emotions. Defenitely someone to guard very closely as Utd defence.)

LW - Youness (short skillfull dribbler that reminds a bit of Messi in the short spaces. Always manages to succeed in his dribble but also has a very weak shot and finish. Much threat, low efficiency.)

Kluivert - RW/LW
(On of the subs who most likely will come on the pitch during end of second half or extension. Fast technicall player with great moves.)
Tete - RB (Fast and agressive back, great games this season but hasn't played very much.. Interesting to see if he maybe manages to convince the coach to start.. I hope so..)
van de Beek - CM (Great talent that looks a bit like the lesser copy of Klaassen. Will probably start next season if Klaassen will make a transfer)

Overall I think Utd will face a agressive and 100% motivated Ajax that will try to fight for every ball for 90 minutes with all they got. Sometimes probably very annoiing for Utd, but also pretty dangerous in counter and possession of the ball. This Ajax has loads of potential star players that, if they have a good day, will be equal to Utd in this match.

My prediction:

2-1 Ajax.
That's a really good post, as I know quite little about Ajax and how they've been playing recently. Thanks for that. However, this:

Supports:
AFC Ajax & MU

is totally weird and just wrong :wenger:

GrandJury

Goal:

Defence:

Midfield:

Attack:
RW - Traoré

Kluivert - RW/LW

My prediction:

2-1 Ajax.
Mourinho's record in finals. 11 wins - 1 loss.

2-0 United.

Daley020

Supports
AFC Ajax & MU
That's a really good post, as I know quite little about Ajax and how they've been playing recently. Thanks for that. However, this:

Supports:
AFC Ajax & MU

is totally weird and just wrong :wenger:
Why would it be weird to support both Ajax and MUFC being born and raised in Amsterdam?

Abroad my favourite club is MUFC, so both 'my' teams face each other in the final of a European Cup.
Also been in Manchester several times during my internship in Oldham in 2014.. Nothing strange about supporting 2 clubs of which one abroad.

Try to view as much as possible games from both teams, have seen 10-15 games in the Ajax stadium this season (including the great semi final win against Lyon at home).
Just want to give you guys my opinion for both of my favourite clubs, that's all :)

Reactions: SteveJ

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
United's team and bench is obvious

Same team as the Semi's except Smalling in for Bailly.

Bench: DDG, Jones, Tuzenebe, Mata, Carrick, Rooney, Martial

Inigo Montoya

Why would it be weird to support both Ajax and MUFC being born and raised in Amsterdam?

Abroad my favourite club is MUFC, so both 'my' teams face each other in the final of a European Cup.
Also been in Manchester several times during my internship in Oldham in 2014.. Nothing strange about supporting 2 clubs of which one abroad.

Try to view as much as possible games from both teams, have seen 10-15 games in the Ajax stadium this season (including the great semi final win against Lyon at home).
Just want to give you guys my opinion for both of my favourite clubs, that's all :)
I agree. Some on here think you have to align yourself at birth to a club and then blindly support them and only them for the rest of your natural life.

Irrational...I know

pseudo_canadian

Win or lose, the Cafe will certainly be a sight to see.

Sheer jubilation if we win, or meltdown of the century if we lose.

I'm looking forward to it.

TheBiggest

Mourinho celebrated and was so emotional at the end of the semi-final, that I am sure he is CERTAIN we can easily beat Ajax.

Their style of football plays perfectly into Mourinho's hands...he loves soaking up pressure and hitting sides where it hurts. Ajax leave a lot of space in behind. This is Jose's dream scenario. Ajax are a very good side, but they are the perfect side for United to play against. We'd suffer against a worse side with a different approach.

Mourinho knew when we beat Celta that we would be lifting the Europa trophy. We'll pick em of easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.