Film Al Pacino Vs Robert De Niro

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Guys, guys, Pacino is typecast into these roles because he does it well. Most often seemingly meek, mild mannered individuals who eventually snap.
Oh, he fecking snaps alright.

To be honest, I don't necessarily dislike him in it, but it is very distracting :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Dammit dwazza! This is about his acting skills not his investment acumen :lol:
It's not about the acumen for me, it's about displacing people who live, giving them shitty jobs catering to tourists there and destroying unspoiled natural habitat to make money. Anyway, it takes the shine of how much I enjoy his performances to know he's such a dick.

Sweet Square

Having just re watched Scarface again it might be the most pro communist cuban film of all time. Fair play to Castro for getting rid of Tony Montana.

Pacino performance(And accent) is really something in that film.

Sweet Square

I kill a communist for fun!
:lol:

You left out the best part - ''but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice.''

I love how watching an hour of Tony killing people, when he finally gets a moral compass and doesn't blow up a mother and child, we come away thinking this tony guy isn't actually that bad.

Amazing film.

Zen

De Niro for Midnight Run alone.... but in general, he's just better and at his peak, far more diverse. Although Pacino maybe had a better sensitive side, maybe.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Aside from Godfather 2, I don’t recall offhand a role where Pacino really blew me away. He often seems to be playing himself.

I suppose De Niro might be accused of that too, mind.

Infra-red

Aside from Godfather 2, I don’t recall offhand a role where Pacino really blew me away. He often seems to be playing himself.

I suppose De Niro might be accused of that too, mind.
That early 70s run of Pacino's was ridiculous and showed a lot of range, no?

Four consecutive Oscar nominations in a row for The Godfather '72 / Serpico '73 / The Godfather Part II '74 / Dog Day Afternoon '75.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
:lol:

You left out the best part - ''but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice.''

I love how watching an hour of Tony killing people, when he finally gets a moral compass and doesn't blow up a mother and child, we come away thinking this tony guy isn't actually that bad.

Amazing film.
I didn't want to take it too far. :nervous:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is like that silly thead about the best Dutch player, there's only one obvious answer

Christopher Walken

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
De Niro is better. The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull to name a few. Pacino is great but he doesn’t have the same range. As someone has mentioned in this thread, Pacino tends to overact and I agree with that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That early 70s run of Pacino's was ridiculous and showed a lot of range, no?

Four consecutive Oscar nominations in a row for The Godfather '72 / Serpico '73 / The Godfather Part II '74 / Dog Day Afternoon '75.
Dog Day Afternoon puts a dent in my argument, but I am still going with De Niro.

Pacino didn’t really own the Godfather role until the end of 1 when he loses his temper. He was close to being replaced, if I recall correctly. He is maybe the best of all time at being angry, I’ll hand him that.

MoskvaRed

I think Godfather II wins it for Al. Best portrayal of moral decay I have ever seen. Also, his other highlights (Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface and Donnie Brasco) are more watchable than most of De Niro’s peaks (Goodfellas excepted). “Raging Bull” is an incredible performance but it’s a film more to admire than to love.

RORY65

Pacino winning the Oscar for Scent of a Woman, which is fine but nothing more, put him on a really bad path because since then all he does is shout his way through movies, it's not like De Niro has been doing great work for the last 25 years but at least he's just half-arsing/phoning it in while Pacino is distractingly bad these days. That being said Pacino in Godfather 2 is incredible and his run in the 70s was incredible but I'm just leaning towards De Niro (he too had a great 70s/early 80s and even after that he's got strong showings in Goodfellas, Heat etc.).

Zen

This debate shouldn't be won on their peak films - more in the deeper stuff, which is where De Niro takes the biscuit... for instance, De Niro, has shown tremendous chemistry with Grodin, Crystal and Stiller in comedies. Even if that chemistry with 2 of them faded with forced sequels. He had more willingness (before losing his mind around Bulwinkle time) to take on riskier projects to marginally decent success.

Though Pacino entered the 'retirement' years better - Brasco, Insider and Insomnia were all decent stuff to get from him while hitting my teens. But like Irishman aside, it's been horrific to the point that I haven't really looked up a De Niro/Pacino film since like 2004... I've not heard of most of them.

Infra-red

This debate shouldn't be won on their peak films - more in the deeper stuff, which is where De Niro takes the biscuit... for instance, De Niro, has shown tremendous chemistry with Grodin, Crystal and Stiller in comedies. Even if that chemistry with 2 of them faded with forced sequels. He had more willingness (before losing his mind around Bulwinkle time) to take on riskier projects to marginally decent success.

Though Pacino entered the 'retirement' years better - Brasco, Insider and Insomnia were all decent stuff to get from him while hitting my teens. But like Irishman aside, it's been horrific to the point that I haven't really looked up a De Niro/Pacino film since like 2004... I've not heard of most of them.
Pacino's best stuff in the last 20 years has probably been on TV. He was brilliant in Angels in America and very good in You Don't Know Jack. He's currently in Hunters, which is also quite good fun.

Chairman Steve

I’m a Pacino man myself. I will say that the chain smoking fecked up a great voice he had previously, but say that the raspy voice is still awesome. He was supposed to provide VO for Tony Montana in that Scarface game that was basically a GTA Vice City ripoff (which itself is a Scarface ripoff!) but his voice was too fecked so they got someone who sounded like Pacino in 1983.

I love the shouty, sweary Pacino performances that have happened since the 90s, but has shown he can be more restrained on stuff like The Insider and Insomnia. Loved that he finally got to work with Tarantino and Scorsese in his last two movies... was great in both of them. He has starred in some right shit movies since the turn of the century, but I liked him in Ocean’s 13 and him and McConaughey were cool in Two For The Money despite being let down by a shit plot.

Glengarry Glen Ross is where Pacino takes profanity into an art form.

lsd

The Oracle
Both great but Pacino for me is the better actor. Everything Pacino did in the 70s eclipses De Niro in my opinion. They were both fantastic in the Godfather but again i just feel Pacino was better.

And Justice for All is another great Pacino performance he was able to play a variety of roles to perfection i just dont see De Niro pulling off the same roles as convincingly

SirAnderson

Terrible to make this a choice.

But gun to head, Pacino for me.
Toward the End, De Niro kinda felt like taking more quantity than quality in the projects he took. I'd imagine some feel otherwise. That's okay.