Film Al Pacino Vs Robert De Niro

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Pacino, no doubt about it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Pacino but Deniro is not far behind. And Deniro has probably been in more better films. But Young Pacino is just a master of his craft.

Sweet Square

De Niro saves Pacino insane performance in Heat imo.

He does a lot of carrying in that film.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
De Niro for me. He has some incredible performances over the years and some of my favourite movies

Sweet Square

De Niro definitely better in that film.
I think De Niro character and performance allow Al Pacino to be pretty odd(In Pacino mind, his character was a massive coke head). It works for the film and Pacino has some great one liners but it could only happened because of De Niro.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Both have great performances in their history and been in some of my favourite films but I’ll throw this out there ... they’re both as one dimensional as each other.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
De Niro is the best - I love Pacino but he does have a habit of over-acting sometimes which is annoying.

Infra-red

Pacino was always better.

It's largely been unedifying self-parody for the pair of them since the late 90s, though. Probably not their fault entirely - I expect they just don't get offered the roles any more - but it has been sad to watch Pacino shouting his way through a string of instantly-forgettable, straight-to-DVD trash (he seems permanently stuck in that coked-up Vincent Hanna character from Heat), while De Niro has gurned his way through a seemingly endless succession of lousy comedies in the pursuit of his next Tribeca investment. Still, at least the reviews for Dirty Grandpa brought us this great zinger: "Like a Werther's Original dropped down a sewer drain, Dirty Grandpa represents the careless fumbling of a classic talent that once brought pleasure to millions."

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I am not sure I can judge who's the better actor, so for me it's rather who I enjoy seeing more. Even there, though, it's really close for me - and it's actually been changing while I was thinking of what to write here. I was going to say that I enjoyed De Niro a little more before the 2000s(ish), and that there has been no competition subsequently because of the garbage De Niro has been putting out. But Pacino has regularly been crap as well, or at least extremely repetitive in his over-the-top characters, and De Niro has also continued to make some very good movies. And before that, there have been movies with De Niro that I couldn't watch (although I am not sure if it was De Niro's acting or just the movie conceptually - Cape Fear for example probably being a case of the latter), and Pacino probably has played in a greater diversity of movies, which is too his credit as an actor.

So in sum, I think this thread to me mostly highlights why I hate choosing favorites or making top 10s. (I'll never understand how High Fidelity could have been written.)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Pacino has been in more films that I like but DeNiro was in Goodfellas, which is one of my absolute top films.

Both really good.

Sweet Square

Pacino was always better.

It's largely been unedifying self-parody for the pair of them since the late 90s, though. Probably not their fault entirely - I expect they just don't get offered the roles any more - but it has been sad to watch Pacino shouting his way through a string of instantly-forgettable, straight-to-DVD trash (he seems permanently stuck in that coked-up Vincent Hanna character from Heat), while De Niro has gurned his way through a seemingly endless succession of lousy comedies in the pursuit of his next Tribeca investment. Still, at least the reviews for Dirty Grandpa brought us this great zinger: "Like a Werther's Original dropped down a sewer drain, Dirty Grandpa represents the careless fumbling of a classic talent that once brought pleasure to millions."
Apparently De Niro has a ton of money troubles, which partly why he keeps taking on these awful roles.

Robert De Niro says coronavirus has decimated his finances to such an extent that he might actually only make $7.5m (£5.94m) this year.

The actor’s lawyers made the revelation during a recent court battle with his estranged wife Grace Hightower after she put in a request to increase her monthly American Express credit card limit from $50,000 back to $100,000, after the Oscar winner had reduced it.

According to Page Six, De Niro was forced to halve Hightower’s monthly allowance, insisting he has taken a massive financial hit after the restaurants Nobu and Greenwich Hotel, which he has stakes in, were partially closed during the coronavirus pandemic.

aroline Krauss, De Niro’s lawyer, said Nobu lost close to $5m in just two months, so he had to pay investors $500,000. Even that he had to borrow from business partners, because he just “doesn’t have the cash.”

ItKrauss explained: “His accounts and business manager … says that the best case for Mr. De Niro, if everything starts to turn around … he is going to be lucky if he makes $7.5m this year.”

he added that he is likely to get just $2.5m over the next few months and years, as filming on Killers Of The Flower Moon has been delayed due to the pandemic.

“These people, in spite of his robust earnings, have always spent more than he has earned so this 76-year-old robust man couldn’t retire even if he wanted to because he can’t afford to keep up with his lifestyle expense,” said Krauss, who says De Niro has cut his own spendings “dramatically.”

However, Hightower’s lawyer Kevin McDonugh did not believe this explanation, insisting De Niro has used the pandemic “to stick it to his wife financially”.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/robert-de-niro-broke-175116826.html

Sweet Square

I am not sure I can judge who's the better actor, so for me it's rather who I enjoy seeing more. Even there, though, it's really close for me - and it's actually been changing while I was thinking of what to write here. I was going to say that I enjoyed De Niro a little more before the 2000s(ish), and that there has been no competition subsequently because of the garbage De Niro has been putting out. But Pacino has regularly been crap as well, or at least extremely repetitive in his over-the-top characters, and De Niro has also continued to make some very good movies. And before that, there have been movies with De Niro that I couldn't watch (although I am not sure if it was De Niro's acting or just the movie conceptually - Cape Fear for example probably being a case of the latter), and Pacino probably has played in a greater diversity of movies, which is too his credit as an actor.

So in sum, I think this thread to me mostly highlights why I hate choosing favorites or making top 10s. (I'll never understand how High Fidelity could have been written.)
Yeah thats cool but pick one and do it NOW!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In terms of the number of great films, I think De Niro takes it for me. But Pacino is responsible for one of the greatest performances of all time as Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part 2.

Also, Al is prone to hamming it up too often. I love the film, but Pacino is out of control in Heat.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For me, De Niro loses some points for questionable investment activity in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if this project is still in the works but I was disappointed to learn about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/27/robert-de-niro-barbuda-island-resort-controversy

edit: yep, still at it and exploiting the devastation of hurricane Irma, too. Framed as "helping to rebuild" of course.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/23/robert-de-niro-barbuda-hotel-hurricane-irma/

https://newint.org/features/2020/01/21/barbudans-are-resisting-disaster-capitalists

RedTiger

Half mast
For me, De Niro loses some points for questionable investment activity in the Caribbean. I;m not sure if this project is still in the works but I was disappointed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/27/robert-de-niro-barbuda-island-resort-controversy

edit: yep, still at it and exploiting the recent mega hurricane, too. Framed as "helping to rebuild" of course.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/23/robert-de-niro-barbuda-hotel-hurricane-irma/

https://newint.org/features/2020/01/21/barbudans-are-resisting-disaster-capitalists
Dammit dwazza! This is about his acting skills not his investment acumen :lol:

stu_1992

Damn a tough one as I love so many of their films. I think maybe Pacino had a better peak in terms of acting, but De Niro overall has the better career. Personally De Niro probably edges it for me as I enjoy more of his film's than Al Pacino. But it's close and I could call it either way.