Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
BBC MOTD commentator Guy Mowbray, who is at Loftus Road for QPR v Crystal Palace, has reported that some bookies have stopped taking bets on Newcastle boss Alan Pardew replacing the recently sacked Neil Warnock as Palace boss. Here is Garth Crooks' reaction...

"This is not speculation, this is fact. The bookies have stopped taking bets on Alan Pardew to Palace. So somebody has put a lot of money on it. There are a number of factors to consider here. If he does go there and Palace go down he is arguably just the right man to bring them back up. Perhaps after what he has been through at Newcastle he wants to stick two fingers up at the owner."

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Oh no - this means he'll be back on Talksport in the mornings. Just can't stand him, he's fecking shite and this comes across when he's showering us with his 'opinions' on the radio show.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Nothing in football surprises me anymore. But having said that, Pardew going to Palace would.

Heard a whisper he said goodbye to the players after the game.

Last edited:

starman

Nothing in football surprises me anymore. But having said that, Pardew going to Palace would.

Heard a whisper he said goodbye to the players after the game.
The Newcastle fans have never taken to him and doubt they ever will. Breaking into the top 6 and staying there consistently will be a massive ask considering they sell their best players every season and replace them with 5 other average ones.

Hes a Palace legend, the fans will no doubt take to him.

Interesting to see if Pullis is in the running for the Newcastle jobs considering Ashley sacked Allardyce due to his style of play.

Last edited:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Pardew really hasn't done a bad job at Newcastle. He's an absolute bell end and his results are a bit inconsistent but having to constantly change players because owners want to cash in...not particularly helpful.

Palace will do well to get him and I'm not sure who Newcastle think they can attract to actually improve; we all know they think they're still massive and significant but they're just not. Their playing staff turn over is ridiculous - and you don't blame the manager/DOF going for foreign talents all the time because given how many they bring in every season, their net spend is respectable.

Acole9

Outstanding
Seems a bit of a strange move for Pardew to make. I know the Newcastle fans hate him but he's been there for a fair while and they're 9th where as Palace are almost certain to go down and have very little money to spend it would appear.

poisson

Seems a bit of a strange move for Pardew to make. I know the Newcastle fans hate him but he's been there for a fair while and they're 9th where as Palace are almost certain to go down and have very little money to spend it would appear.
Not really - as the poster above me said, his family live in london and Pardew used to play for palace!

Acole9

Outstanding
I think his family lives in London
Not really - as the poster above me said, his family live in london and Pardew used to play for palace!
I can understand both of those reasons. However like I said in my post above, Newcastle are 9th and Palace are in the bottom three and will most likely go down. Newcastle spent a bit of money in the summer where Palace on the other hand didn't appear to have much to spend and that's why the fall out with Pulis occurred.

poisson

I can understand both of those reasons. However like I said in my post above, Newcastle are 9th and Palace are in the bottom three and will most likely go down. Newcastle spent a bit of money in the summer where Palace on the other hand didn't appear to have much to spend and that's why the fall out with Pulis occurred.
plus im sure pardew is sick of the newcastle fans constantly on his back, constanct vilification would start to grain a little! A fresh start at a club he was a legend at, being closer to his family, it then suddenly becomes quite clear why he would want to move!

Flying_Heckfish

Can't say I blame him for leaving, he has done a decent job overall (bar one season) with Newcastle but the fans still hate him.

Perhaps he could have hoped that a bigger club than Palace would come in for him eventually, but if he's had enough of it then fair enough.

Red For Ever

It woudnt surprise me if Pardew took the job, lot of grief from Geordie fans in the past, calling for him to be sacked a few months ago, ( they were in the relegation zone !! ) but they never seemed to really take to him, even in the good times ( by Geordie standards )

red_devil83

I really can't understand why he'd take the Palace job. It's basically guaranteed relegation. They'll never compete for anything ever, except the Championship title. He's at one of the bigger clubs in the country. I can't see how his reputation can be improved at Palace. They're broke. He has the backing of the board at Newcastle and financial support.

It's professional suicide

markorm

I don't blame him for wanting out. It probably took every fibre of him to stay while the stadium shouted for him to leave. Now he can leave on his own terms with two fingers up at the fans. He really didn't deserve the abuse he got.

He's a London fella and he's comfortable down there. He's joining pretty much where pullis did last year. Nothing to lose. Everyone expects relegation, he can sign a one year deal dependant on them staying up. Make a few changes buy a couple of players, and they'll be back mid table. If not, his stock is fairly high and he can have his hat in the ring again come summer.

Palace have the framework for a solid team, parish did them no favours employing that bellend. Dunno what they were thinking.

Marching

I really can't understand why he'd take the Palace job. It's basically guaranteed relegation. They'll never compete for anything ever, except the Championship title. He's at one of the bigger clubs in the country. I can't see how his reputation can be improved at Palace. They're broke. He has the backing of the board at Newcastle and financial support.

It's professional suicide
Agreed. Will be a bizarre decision to join Palace even if he did play for them and his family home is round the corner from the training ground. The way Palace treat their managers he could find himself relegated and then out of a job inside 12 months.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I'm sure Pardew has higher ambitions than Palace. He's not a bad manager and has a fairly good track record. And who would Newcastle replace him with? Pulis?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Knowing Ashley, it'll be Di Canio.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Pardew moving could be for personal reasons of course lads.

Pulis, Hughes, Bruce or Laudrup would all be smart moves for Newcastle. Have all worked under strict owners and and excelled during their careers at stages along the way. All have had their stock knocked back recently too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This Pardrew thing deserves a new thread lads.

@Cina can you move the posts to a new thread.

Marching

Frank de Boer's name is part of the gossip up here.

More gossip.....

Alan Pardew is poised to be appointed as the new Crystal Palace manager with a £2m compensation clause thrashed out between the south London club and Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley.Pardew has made clear to Ashley he wants to go to Palace where he was a former playing favourite and the Toon chief has agreed to reach a compromise with Eagles chief Steve Parish rather than demand the full £5million he would be entitled to under the terms of Pardew's contract.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Pulis, Hughes, Bruce or Laudrup would all be smart moves for Newcastle. Have all worked under strict owners and and excelled during their careers at stages along the way. All have had their stock knocked back recently too.
I can't see Newcastle fans taking well to any of them.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I can't see Newcastle fans taking well to any of them.
No but the last appointment I recall them being universally happy with was Shearer and look how that turned out. It's a needs must situation and with Allardyce, Pardew, Kinnear etc it's been far from happy appointments at the start of any recent managerial moves.

Neil Lennon would have been ideal but can't see his form at Bolton warranting the interest as yet. De Boer would be a great move but it's unproven and would be a tough 6 months till he can mould a 4-3-3 up there of his own.

Can't help but feel there's 3 years worth of transfer policy and squad building pi$$ed down the drain here. Especially last summer.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Brucie is one of their own. They'd take to him all right.
From the stuff I've read on various Newcastle forums they see him as a sidewards step from Pardew "like Pardew but nice and not a bellend". Seems like they've got their heart set on de Boer but can't see him moving until at least the end of the season.

Moriarty

From the stuff I've read on various Newcastle forums they see him as a sidewards step from Pardew "like Pardew but nice and not a bellend". Seems like they've got their heart set on de Boer but can't see him moving until at least the end of the season.
I suppose just because you're a Geordie doesn't make you the ideal choice. I like Brucie though and think he's underrated as a manager.

Acole9

Outstanding
Personally I think De Boer will only move to the scousers or possibly Spurs if things with Pochettino don't work out.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Boer would be great for Newcastle. Do think he could do better, though.

Getsme

Hate him and hate Palace, hopefully he takes the job and they go down.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
De Boer would be great for Newcastle. Do think he could do better, though.
He could do a lot better than Newcastle tbh. He might end up the Holland manager in the future. Newcastle won't enhance his reputation. It is a graveyard for managers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They will go down and then they will go up on repeat for 38 matches.

It's Alan Pardew.

toonfan

I've disliked Pardew since day 1 so I will be happy to see him leave. However he might be leaving because Ashley has betrayed him in the transfer market which would be bad for the club. Could see Ashley bringing in another Joe Kinnear, flogging our highest value players like Sissoko & Krul and plunging the club into yet more turmoil.

ChaddyP

interesting move it would end up being. I can see Hughs taking over at palace

poisson

I've disliked Pardew since day 1 so I will be happy to see him leave. However he might be leaving because Ashley has betrayed him in the transfer market which would be bad for the club. Could see Ashley bringing in another Joe Kinnear, flogging our highest value players like Sissoko & Krul and plunging the club into yet more turmoil.
Can I ask, why the hate for Pardew?

Revan

Assumptionman
Why Pardiola is leaving Newcastle? I read here that he had problems with fans/owner but no idea what is it.

stu_1992

On face of it, it seems so weird for Pardew to go to Palace. Clearly a step down and all things considered he's not done a bad good at Newcastle. But when you factor in things like his family living in London, the fact he was a former Palace player and the fact he has a weird relationship with Newcastle supporters, it does start to make a bit more sense. Still would be classed as a shock move and not one I would've seen coming if it happens.