Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I reckon Newcastle sounded out Coloccini for the job first - perhaps at the end of the season? - and Pardew decided he wasn't going to be humiliated like that and went for the Palace job, because the alternative is similarly bizarre. The only possible reason I can think of that Pardew would want to go to Palace is because he (or his wife Tina) wanted to move down to London, because career-wise it's a very strange move.
They said on the radio that his wife and kids moved back to Surrey a while ago. Can imagine he's delighted to have gotten this opportunity tbh, doubt Palace will pay him much less than he was getting under Ashley when you consider the eight year contract.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I think he should wait for a better job. He wont lose much in terms of finance and status if he wait a season or so. Better clubs will sack their managers.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
They said on the radio that his wife and kids moved back to Surrey a while ago. Can imagine he's delighted to have gotten this opportunity tbh, doubt Palace will pay him much less than he was getting under Ashley when you consider the eight year contract.
Unlike Arry, he's still 53. 15 years younger. I doubt he would do what Redknapp did in terms of settling down. Plus, looking at the trend of modern football, he may not last a few seasons there and he will need to move again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He has an affinity to Palace as a former player, the fans like him (unlike the Newcastle fans), he wont have to work with Mike Ashley anymore, wont have to sell his best players every season, his family live down South as they didnt settle in the North, he will almost double his salary and a potential bonus if he saves Palace from relegation..

whats to consider?

FromTheBench

He has an affinity to Palace as a former player, the fans like him (unlike the Newcastle fans), he wont have to work with Mike Ashley anymore, wont have to sell his best players every season, his family live down South as they didnt settle in the North, he will almost double his salary and a potential bonus if he saves Palace from relegation..

whats to consider?
Palace owners seem trigger happy compared to newcastle and do not spend that much either and have a poorer squad fighting relegation.

Maybe he will have more control compared to newcastle on transfers but Pulis did have a dispute there.

Can see why he would take the job in one sense but is a career risk.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

whats to consider?
It's a big step down though. Newcastle can and have finished in the top 8 under him. The quality of players is on a different level to Palace.

amolbhatia50k

Maybe he sees this as a step up to bigger things but I'd have imagined Newcastle was that. He did quite a good job there. They had some very impressive seasons under him.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Unlike Arry, he's still 53. 15 years younger. I doubt he would do what Redknapp did in terms of settling down. Plus, looking at the trend of modern football, he may not last a few seasons there and he will need to move again.
Wanting to live near your kids is hardly settling down for retirement, especially when you consider the way his last twelve months have gone in Newcastle. Seems a reasonable decision to me. Can anyone see Ashley's Newcastle being beneficial to a manager's longer term career prospects?

Pardew's in that class of British managers who are always in the running for positions at clubs that regularly finish below 6th, no matter how he does at Palace. A Fulham/ QPR/ Villa/ West Ham (again)/ West Brom/ Stoke are next on the list, he undoubtedly knows it too. At worst he'll drop down to the Championship, do respectably there, and another Premiership Chairman will give him a chance.

Speaking of that class of manager... (check out the page)

Spoony

The People's President
Surprised Ashley hasn't splashed the cash at Newcastle. He's worth around £4 billion for crying out loud!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he should wait for a better job. He wont lose much in terms of finance and status if he wait a season or so. Better clubs will sack their managers.
Maybe West Brom to enter the race for him...

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
A former player doesn't mean anything then? Or are you just calculating the years on his wikipedia page & drawing a conclusion from that? Most Palace fans regard him as a **** status at the club. It's still the same ground and still has the same fan base . It's a bit presumptuous to assume that because of 23 years he doesn't know anything about the club?

It's a perfect route out for him of what seems to be a painful club to manage in Newcastle. Coloccini is a weird choice of caretaker replacement.
And it's not presumptuous to think he does know something about the club? The fact is a lot has changed at Palace in 23 years including different owners and around 30 changes in management since his 4 seasons with them.

Personally I think it could easily backfire on him...sure he'll be greeted as the Messiah by some, although I know someone who works at Palace who told me others just see it as another in the list, but he could easily be relegated and out of a job if promotion doesn't come quickly. HUGE backward step IMO.

Who says Colo is going to be caretaker?

golden_blunder

Staff
It's a big step down though. Newcastle can and have finished in the top 8 under him. The quality of players is on a different level to Palace.
Is it really though? Yes, they have a larger fan base. But whilst Ashley is in charge they will always be a selling club. What thanks does he get?

Its not worth the hassle, some things are more important in life, its important to have a work/life balance and it seems he doesnt have it at Newcastle. He cant socialize much because the fans seemingly dislike him, and his family arent there. It must be a lonely life. Bollox to ambition in such circumstances.

amolbhatia50k

Is it really though? Yes, they have a larger fan base. But whilst Ashley is in charge they will always be a selling club. What thanks does he get?

Its not worth the hassle, some things are more important in life, its important to have a work/life balance and it seems he doesnt have it at Newcastle. He cant socialize much because the fans seemingly dislike him, and his family arent there. It must be a lonely life. Bollox to ambition in such circumstances.
I dont disagree with that. But purely from a career point of view it is a step down. Newcastle might sell and often not spend big, but their quality of player is of a much higher calibre than Palace will reach any time soon I reckon. But yeah, peace of mind is important, absolutely.

golden_blunder

Staff
And it's not presumptuous to think he does know something about the club? The fact is a lot has changed at Palace in 23 years including different owners and around 30 changes in management since his 4 seasons with them.

Personally I think it could easily backfire on him...sure he'll be greeted as the Messiah by some, although I know someone who works at Palace who told me others just see it as another in the list, but he could easily be relegated and out of a job if promotion doesn't come quickly. HUGE backward step IMO.

Who says Colo is going to be caretaker?
Give over Marching! Its a big club in all your heads. Until Mike Ashley goes you wont move forward. Pardew knows that.

also some things are more important than football. Fair play to him if he wants to be closer to his wife and kids.

golden_blunder

Staff
I dont disagree with that. But purely from a career point of view it is a step down. Newcastle might sell and often not spend big, but their quality of player is of a much higher calibre than Palace will reach any time soon I reckon. But yeah, peace of mind is important, absolutely.
Pardew found them all, in France etc. Theres no reason why he cant do that at Palace. Its not like they cost millions. Plus he will now have the selling point of being in London.

Spoony

The People's President
Getting ready to splash the cash on Rangers ;)
I bet Newcastle fans are chuffed. I suspect he thinks he can get Rangers on the cheap...They've got a cracking stadium he'll only have to topple Celtic to get to the CL. That said, all that money, a massive fanbase...he could've created something special at Newcastle.

golden_blunder

Staff
I bet Newcastle fans are chuffed. I suspect he thinks he can get Rangers on the cheap...They've got a cracking stadium he'll only have to topple Celtic to get to the CL. That said, all that money, a massive fanbase...he could've created something special at Newcastle.
He could also propose merging the 2...

Acole9

Outstanding
Wanting to live near your kids is hardly settling down for retirement, especially when you consider the way his last twelve months have gone in Newcastle. Seems a reasonable decision to me. Can anyone see Ashley's Newcastle being beneficial to a manager's longer term career prospects?

Pardew's in that class of British managers who are always in the running for positions at clubs that regularly finish below 6th, no matter how he does at Palace. A Fulham/ QPR/ Villa/ West Ham (again)/ West Brom/ Stoke are next on the list, he undoubtedly knows it too. At worst he'll drop down to the Championship, do respectably there, and another Premiership Chairman will give him a chance.

Speaking of that class of manager... (check out the page)
Parody page clearly but he's been out of football management far too long now to be considered for any job.

Hal9000

Why is this happening already ? Something wrong between Ashley and Pardew ?
Padrew is an ex Palace player, fans like him, he loves the club and it seems the Newcastle hate mob against him has finally taken his toll.

He's in a no lose situation at Palace. If they are still relegated, he's just failed to save them from a fate that many of their fans are already resigned to, if he keeps them up, he gets another accomplishment to his name.

Marching

Give over Marching! Its a big club in all your heads. Until Mike Ashley goes you wont move forward. Pardew knows that.

also some things are more important than football. Fair play to him if he wants to be closer to his wife and kids.
Have you finally got this life/work balance sorted Geebs? ;)

I really don't want to get into what makes a club big but surely you'd agree NUFC are a bigger club than CP? So in a career move it is a HUGE backward step. The league positions are nearly set in stone these days with City, Utd, Arse, Chelsea at the top and a regular bunch making up the top ten with all the others regularly fighting to finish out of the bottom three. Nowt will change that unless another Abramovich or Sultan (not ours) decides to buy a PL club as a plaything.

If he's now chosen to put family life first fair enough but it can't be seen as an upward career move.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It's like a big FU to Newcastle fans and Ashley. And he walked and was never sacked

It's like a moral victory. I'm glad he is doing it and hope he does well at palace.

He sure did prove me totally wrong during is time with Newcastle

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So once this happens who will be the pl's longest serving manager after wenger? (Lambert?)

Marching

I agree Spoons....I've not seen a bigger anti mob towards a manager than what he's had to face at SJP although they've put away their banners and bedsheets now he's turned the team round. Personally I've always thought he's done a decent job overall with some poor decisions thrown in. As for Ashley, I quite like him too but like you say he's missed an opportunity at SJP and I am sure he and Pardew could have broken into that top 4 with some bigger signings.

I'm not sure why he's not done that as he does have the money...maybe (bizarrely) he's happy with a top ten finish like Wenger seems happy with a top four.

golden_blunder

Staff
Have you finally got this life/work balance sorted Geebs? ;)

I really don't want to get into what makes a club big but surely you'd agree NUFC are a bigger club than CP? So in a career move it is a HUGE backward step. The league positions are nearly set in stone these days with City, Utd, Arse, Chelsea at the top and a regular bunch making up the top ten with all the others regularly fighting to finish out of the bottom three. Nowt will change that unless another Abramovich or Sultan (not ours) decides to buy a PL club as a plaything.

If he's now chosen to put family life first fair enough but it can't be seen as an upward career move.
No, unfortunately i dont Marching, in fact its probably worse. I commute 2 hours to get to work and the same getting home every day. Into a highly stressful job. Somethings gotta give this year!

NUFC have a bigger potential then CP because they have a bigger fan base. Thats not to say that they will acheive better results than CP though! From that point of view i dont agree that its a huge step backward. Newcastle arent going to win the league, they can potentially win the cup or potentially finish in a top 6 position. But so can CP given time. So, i dont agree its a huge step backward in his career. In league positions this season he has taken a step down but its just a different type of challenge.

IF he goes off course

RedRover

Palace owners seem trigger happy compared to newcastle and do not spend that much either and have a poorer squad fighting relegation.

Maybe he will have more control compared to newcastle on transfers but Pulis did have a dispute there.

Can see why he would take the job in one sense but is a career risk.
Clearly promises have been made to him in terms of money available. Seems the penny dropped for the owners at Palace and they know they need to spend.

By all accounts he'd been told at Newcastle there was no money to spend and possibly a couple leaving. The fans already hate him so what can he achieve? At best they stay about where they are.

Without backing he's not going to take Newcastle forward. At least at Palace he can buy his own players and progress.

At Newcastle he was probably safe but on crap money with little prospect of anything other than more abuse from the fans. He's come away from Newcastle having done a decent job and has walked into another PL job with money to spend, a bigger contract and at a club where he's likely to get time, as far as the fans are concerned at least.

I can't see how it's a career risk. If they go down if wont be on his head and even if he gets sacked he'll get a very tidy pay off if he's on the £60k a week that's been reported.

Marching

No, unfortunately i dont Marching, in fact its probably worse. I commute 2 hours to get to work and the same getting home every day. Into a highly stressful job. Somethings gotta give this year!

NUFC have a bigger potential then CP because they have a bigger fan base. Thats not to say that they will acheive better results than CP though! From that point of view i dont agree that its a huge step backward. Newcastle arent going to win the league, they can potentially win the cup or potentially finish in a top 6 position. But so can CP given time. So, i dont agree its a huge step backward in his career. In league positions this season he has taken a step down but its just a different type of challenge.

IF he goes off course
He's gone.

Work to live NOT live to work mate! Easy for me to say I know but make 2015 YOUR year. Did that job come off?

Neither team will win the league in the next 20 years but NUFC not only have more potential but are the bigger club with a better set up, ground, facilities, players, sponsors, fanbase etc etc.

RedRover

IF he goes off course
Potential comes down to what the owners will spend. You can argue from that point of view that Palace, if the rumours are true re transfer budgets have more potential to kick on as far as the manager is concerned.

Marching

Potential comes down to what the owners will spend. You can argue from that point of view that Palace, if the rumours are true re transfer budgets have more potential to kick on as far as the manager is concerned.

I suppose the potential impact is greater at Palace...IF he keeps them up and they go from 17th to 11th or 12th next season it will be seen as a greater achievement than him keeping NUFC around the top 10.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it just comes down to the fact that he has just got fed up with being called a cnut week in week out.

RedRover

I suppose the potential impact is greater at Palace...IF he keeps them up and they go from 17th to 11th or 12th next season it will be seen as a greater achievement than him keeping NUFC around the top 10.
Indeed. I think he's done all he can at Newcastle under the constraints he has. He can't buy his own players so gets no credit when things are going well, yet is a villain when the players don't perform.

The fans have got what they wanted it seems. Might not be a good thing though. A lot have unrealistic expectations over they type of manager and player they can attract.

Marching

Indeed. I think he's done all he can at Newcastle under the constraints he has. He can't buy his own players so gets no credit when things are going well, yet is a villain when the players don't perform.

The fans have got what they wanted it seems. Might not be a good thing though. A lot have unrealistic expectations over they type of manager and player they can attract.
I wouldn't believe the stuff about the players not being his signings, they are. He also gets credit from the more sensible Geordies who tend to not make as much noise as those calling for his head. You're right about him going maybe not being a good thing....I've always said be careful what you wish for and Newcastle could end with a right plonker. Same goes for a new owner...Ashley might not spend big but he leaves the running of the club to the management team and has shown faith in his manager.

RedRover

I wouldn't believe the stuff about the players not being his signings, they are. He also gets credit from the more sensible Geordies who tend to not make as much noise as those calling for his head. You're right about him going maybe not being a good thing....I've always said be careful what you wish for and Newcastle could end with a right plonker. Same goes for a new owner...Ashley might not spend big but he leaves the running of the club to the management team and has shown faith in his manager.
Says who? They're buying the same kind of players every year and pretty much always from
France. Hughton wasn't picking his own players either and said as much.

I strongly suspect he isn't going to Ashley and saying "bring me player x from Monaco", more likely he's told what players are available on the cheap and/or and nearly out of contract.

The club obviously think France is a place you can but cheap and sell high. I suspect there are lots of players from elsewhere he'd like but isn't able to buy due to price.

I suspect Newcastle will continue to buy cheap French players and also reckon Pardew might not be bringing a load of French players to palace. I guess we'll see.

Marching

Says who? They're buying the same kind of players every year and pretty much always from
France. Hughton wasn't picking his own players either and said as much.

I strongly suspect he isn't going to Ashley and saying "bring me player x from Monaco", more likely he's told what players are available on the cheap and/or and nearly out of contract.

The club obviously think France is a place you can but cheap and sell high. I suspect there are lots of players from elsewhere he'd like but isn't able to buy due to price.

I suspect Newcastle will continue to buy cheap French players and also reckon Pardew might not be bringing a load of French players to palace. I guess we'll see.
Do you really think Ashley tells him who to buy? Of course he doesn't. He does quite rightly set the budget and Pardew has to buy within that budget like any other manager. Nowt wrong with buying in France, there have been some good acquisitions made from there....and Ajax, Feyenoord and Tenerife.

toonfan

Do you really think Ashley tells him who to buy? Of course he doesn't. He does quite rightly set the budget and Pardew has to buy within that budget like any other manager. Nowt wrong with buying in France, there have been some good acquisitions made from there....and Ajax, Feyenoord and Tenerife.
Pardew obviously had some input over transfers but the targets are picked by the scouting team (led by Carr) and the decision to invest was Charnley's. Only Obertan, Elliott and Santon were Pardew's picks in his time here. NUFC have a transfer system/policy that will continue with or without Pardew and they give the manager a lot less say over incomings and outgoings compared to most Prem managers.

Pardew was really more like a head coach in a continental set-up. Surprised you don't know this tbh.

Marching

Pardew obviously had some input over transfers but the targets are picked by the scouting team (led by Carr) and the decision to invest was Charnley's. Only Obertan, Elliott and Santon were Pardew's picks in his time here. NUFC have a transfer system/policy that will continue with or without Pardew and they give the manager a lot less say over incomings and outgoings compared to most Prem managers.

Pardew was really more like a head coach in a continental set-up. Surprised you don't know this tbh.
So Carr has more power than Pardew? Daft. Pardew and Carr work for Charnley. Charnley works for Ashley.

So, like I said Ashley sets the budget and the players identified by Carr/Pardew arrive based on that budget and dependent on the contract details which is Charnley's responsibility.

Surprised you know so much about the running of PL clubs tbh.

toonfan

So Carr has more power than Pardew? Daft. Pardew and Carr work for Charnley. Charnley works for Ashley.

So, like I said Ashley sets the budget and the players identified by Carr/Pardew arrive based on that budget and dependent on the contract details which is Charnley's responsibility.

Surprised you know so much about the running of PL clubs tbh.
Yep, and he will have more say over transfers than the next manager, too. It is more or less the same system set up by Chris Mort that was buying and selling without Keegan's consent.