2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Dannn411

He has the attitude all wingers should have. Just keep going. It doesn't matter what happened previous attack or previous game. Just keep pushing and pushing and pushing and eventually something will happen. Too many of our players are cowards who hide after one mistake. But not this lad. Long may it continue.

AneRu

No doubt. Let’s just hope that over the next decade Man Utd are on the up.
It doesn't take much for football trajectory to change, last season we were third and looking to consolidate but we then proceeded toake a mess of the summer window and the feeling is that of a club facing relegation. Next season if we can make a few good signings, get Rashford and Bruno influential again and some of our younger players improve we could be back in the mix at the top.

plex

The key is to maintain a positive attitude and persevere, even when facing challenges - something Garnacho has certainly demonstrated thus far.

His goals were great, and I believe that as he grows older and gains more experience, he will continue to improve. At times, he overlooks his teammates and neglects to pass the ball. He should display more cleverness in specific situations, but considering his age, there is ample room for growth in these areas.

Glorio

It doesn't take much for football trajectory to change, last season we were third and looking to consolidate but we then proceeded toake a mess of the summer window and the feeling is that of a club facing relegation. Next season if we can make a few good signings, get Rashford and Bruno influential again and some of our younger players improve we could be back in the mix at the top.
Maybe it's also about reducing their influence?
They're not exactly mentality giants when things aren't going their way, those 2. For different reasons too - one loses all sense of discipline and composure and runs around like a madman, resorting to low percentage Hollywood balls, while unable to pull off a simple pass, whereas the other just stops trying hard for the team. Having 2 such players as our most senior and influential forward players means our attacking play can be very inconsistent.

AneRu

Maybe it's also about reducing their influence?
They're not exactly mentality giants when things aren't going their way, those 2. For different reasons too - one loses all sense of discipline and composure and runs around like a madman, resorting to low percentage Hollywood balls, while unable to pull off a simple pass, whereas the other just stops trying hard for the team. Having 2 such players as our most senior and influential forward players means our attacking play can be very inconsistent.
Yeah and I sense that's why ETH benched Rashford and persisted with Garnacho even whenhe wasn't pulling up any trees. Bruno is the hard one but maybe in 18 months we will be in a position to promote or sign some competition for him. You can tell Rashford knew or now knows that he is under pressure and can be sold.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I have and no my opinion doesn't change based on one game. I can appreciate a great performance for what it is without changing my general stance. Over time, I will of course if there is consistency
Fair enough mate.

The Original

If he passes the ball to Rashford who was unmarked for the second goal, we don't win the game.
This isn't about any one particular instance, but I don't agree with that sentiment anyway, as Rashford is generally reliable in the box. In any case, I am thinking of all the times he could have passed Hojlund and ended up shooting wide or running into traffic. Playing like this is not sustainable at this level.

They used to say that about George Best at the same age. Did he listen? Nah!
He's nowhere close to being as talented as Best was and certainly should be listening.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Because there's no one in front of Garnacho, he has a one on one at a head-on open angle instead of the wide narrow angle Rashford has.
No pun intended but that's not how you play. If you have played the game you would certainly get it (again no offense meant , pardon me if it did)

Look at the space infront of Rashford. You have 2 runners with you. Don't tell me Rashford's best option is to pass it from there. Passing from there is just limiting your options . If it was Eriksen, I would understand the argument. It's your winger ffs with a pace to burn and already beaten the last defender.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Because he can play it into Garnacho in the centre of the goal before the defenders have any chance to get back and no way he can tell Nacho has just got ahead of him at that pace. I don’t blame Nacho either - it was superb play by both of them. Just occasionally those close calls go against you.
Playing in front of Garnacho who is positioned centrally would make easy for GK to save it. Best option always is carry it up and square it or shoot . You have 2 runners with you .

OT_United

His ability and effort is unquestionable. He needs to bulk up like Ronaldo and Rashford did around that age to add power.
He will be one of the best wingers in the league when that happens.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If he can play consistently well on the right, that’s a game changer.
Yep. I'm not counting my chickens yet as this may have just been a one-off against a team that does play a high line, but if he can do it fairly consistently it is a huge change to our attacking options. Especially if Rashford has pulled his finger out and is going to start his season properly now.

However, I'm guessing there is a reason why it's previously been Rashford that moves over to the right while Garnacho plays left. I presume they've tried it both ways in training and Rashford was the better option on the right. Even so, that doesn't mean it can't change I guess.

Telsim

If he keeps at it, he will become an extremely lethal player. His finishing is already top class and decision making should come with more experience. Just needs to bulk up a bit.

El Jefe

I have and no my opinion doesn't change based on one game. I can appreciate a great performance for what it is without changing my general stance. Over time, I will of course if there is consistency
Same with me. In the same circumstances, Dan James probably would have had the game of his life. That’s not saying that Garnacho wasn’t excellent because he was but teams that play us that way at home will be a rarity. In fact Villa might be the only team that gives us that much space without having defenders with incredible recovery speed.

Happy with the win but I don’t see him replicating this performance at RW against teams with a lower block.

RuudTom83

A good player to use as a comparison imo is Martinelli.

Garnacho still has to improve his game over the full 90 mins but stats wise he is producing similar numbers.

Which is great to see!

Martinelli 4 goals 3 assist in 21 games
Garnacho 5 goals 1 assist in 25 games

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Garnacho still has to improve his game over the full 90 mins but stats wise he is producing similar numbers.

Which is great to see!

That is quite reasonable isn't it.
The thing I really like about Garnacho is that he has a good attitude and plays with a bit of an edge to his game and is afraid of no one.

Steve 007

100% agree. We’ve seen teams like Chelsea yo-yo from first to 10th with the same team and twice with two very top managers. The players are able but they need to be hungry.

Patchbeard

Which is great to see!

Not sure this is really painting Garnacho in a good light when Arsenal fans would tell you Martinelli's output has been very disappointing this season! The thing Garnacho really needs to improve is his final third decision making and these stats just back that up, as he's been one of the culprits in failing to supply Hojlund with any service (I'm not singling him out here...all our wingers are the culprits this season!).

Did look more likely to get on the end of things the other night from the right which was great to see, and there's more likelihood of him crossing from that side too to create more, so hopefully bodes well for the rest of the season and beyond. Really hoping this now means the end of Antony starting most weeks, despite my tone above I really am excited about Garnacho's potential, just let's not sugar coat his output so far.

pacifictheme

Not sure this is really painting Garnacho in a good light when Arsenal fans would tell you Martinelli's output has been very disappointing this season! The thing Garnacho really needs to improve is his final third decision making and these stats just back that up, as he's been one of the culprits in failing to supply Hojlund with any service (I'm not singling him out here...all our wingers are the culprits this season!).

Did look more likely to get on the end of things the other night from the right which was great to see, and there's more likelihood of him crossing from that side too to create more, so hopefully bodes well for the rest of the season and beyond. Really hoping this now means the end of Antony starting most weeks, despite my tone above I really am excited about Garnacho's potential, just let's not sugar coat his output so far.
Martinelli does have three more seasons in the first team at arsenal and is three or four years older. If you go back to his second season in the first team which is what this is for garnacho he's doing well.

Don't get me wrong he still has a long way to go but he's certainly showing big signs of improvement this season. He's gone from a player who's best work came off the bench to a fairly reliable starter in a very disjointed attack, and he's not 20 yet, so has a lot of time to improve.

AneRu

100% agree. We’ve seen teams like Chelsea yo-yo from first to 10th with the same team and twice with two very top managers. The players are able but they need to be hungry.
Another thing is we need to cut out the disastrous transfer windows; imagine where we would be if our striker had scored 10 more goals instead of one, if we had a more secure keeper or if we had brought in a midfielder who isn't injury prone but also dominant on the ball and more than useful off it. This is what has killed us this term - we have got anything from our £200m outlay.

What I hope to see from Teg Hag is to continue blooding in the youngsters, it looks like a combination of Murtough, Butt, Mckena and others have produced a group more likely to save us some money if used right. We should keep Gore, Kambwala, Mejbri, and Mainoo in the rotation. Make it a point of giving them incremental minutes (Mainoo seems to be a legitimate first teamer now) and hopefully they show us enough to be considered serious options for the squad.

If all four can be where Garnacho is we save money cause that would mean we only need to spend maybe 80m on a CB and DM. What that translates to is that we will, at some point in the next 18 months, be in a position to go big for a genuine game changer in the 120m - 150m range if one emerges.

What I fear, though, is that once all the seniors return ETH will ignore the youth like he did with Hanibal when his favourites came back. We need to understand that we have basically wasted 350m on trash and from a ffp perspective we need a way to recover that and our academy has done well in that - Garnacho has replaced what we wasted on Sancho, Mainoo looks like a genuine find and will, in the next few years, injuries permitting, be our midfield general, Gore could replace what we thought we were getting from McTominay and if Kambwala and Evans can replace Maguire and Lindelof then we will be on our way.

Alemar

He's gone from a player who's best work came off the bench to a fairly reliable starter in a very disjointed attack, and he's not 20 yet, so has a lot of time to improve.
Yes, provided we now have Eriksen back, and Casemiro is also returning soon, chances are our gameplay improves, and there will be significantly more opportunities for front players to score or assist.

sammyhol

Looked great on the right…

So our genius manager moves him back left.

Not blaming the lad… the manager is awful

El Jefe

Looked great on the right…

So our genius manager moves him back left.

Not blaming the lad… the manager is awful
He looked good on the right because of how Villa played us. He’s played football for years and has always been better on the left, don’t let one game fool you.

What would he have done differently on the right that he couldn’t have done on the left?

Nothing from the game against Villa should be taken as an expectation.

Irwin99

Yeah, i can appreciate the workrate which is fantastic but he's naturally such an inconsistent player because of his age. A lot of running down blind alleys and cheap possession losses. Again, in a team not exactly blessed with hard grafters, I do appreciate the commitment and energy.

Marwood

He looked good on the right because of how Villa played us. He’s played football for years and has always been better on the left, don’t let one game fool you.

What would he have done differently on the right that he couldn’t have done on the left?

Nothing from the game against Villa should be taken as an expectation.
Different? Cross the ball, beat his defender on the outside, shot quickly rather than cutting inside to do so.

All things easier to do if you're on your stronger foot obviously.