Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain completes his transfer to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
If we sign both Coutinho is off this season. I think we strengthen the squad with this deal and not the first Xl.
I honestly haven't the foggiest tbh, the club have made an emphatic point of denying it via a statement and consistently briefing the trusted trio. The Barca acolytes in the media appear convinced although the entitled fecks tried to sell the rights to his welcoming ceremony before even agreeing a fee with us. I don't take much stock in public briefings they change every minute as and when it suits, something that still seem to confuse people. I think he leaves next summer if we're smart, getting Lemar and VVD in and having ox and Keita coming in next window is pretty good progression and planning for eventualities. Something we've lacked the foresight to do in the past.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Terrific window? Till date they have signed Salah for first team and that's it. Robertson will be rotating with some LB and Solanke is back up. Keita will be joining next season and Coutinho's future is still undecided. They are linked with millions of players but till date nothing is done. They haven't even made bid for Ox and signing him won't make their window Terrific as he is not someone who will be taking them level higher.
I was about to edit that to say could have/on the way to have, but anyway. If they pull of Kieta, Salah, Lemar, Robertson, Solanke and Ox, it will be a fantastic window irrespective of when which player, and even if Coutinho leaves. I'd be delighted if a couple of big talents in the game joined us next season. It obviously depends on whether they pull of the ones which are still rumours, and may not impact them all that much this season (or may do so), but that lot would represent an excellent summer of players with high potential who could on the cusp of big things.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Something I've forgotten is Milners deal expires next summer and Can hasn't signed a new one yet. Coutinho leaving and Lallana hitting 30 and picking up even more injuries in that context getting both makes a lot more sense.

amolbhatia50k

How are they having a terrific window? It looks like their two main targets aren't gonna join this season. One of their best players have flat out refused to play for them. They still have glaring weaknesses in their team.
Klopp is probably alright not strengthening their defence enough to challenge this season if he's unable to, but all the while bagging some big talents that will sort them for years and years in other areas. It's hardly as if Liverpool is a club expected to win the PL. People forget that. IF they get Lemar and Keita, it would be an excellent window.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Something I've forgotten is Milners deal expires next summer and Can hasn't signed a new one yet. Coutinho leaving and Lallana hitting 30 and picking up even more injuries in that context getting both makes a lot more sense.
That's a good point. But please lets not even entertain the idea of Can going. If it meant him getting a raise and the captaincy to stay, I'd give it to him. Though the captaincy is waiting for a Dutchman, but still Can needs to stay. Especially if one of his replacements is going to be ox who despite being a faster player is also gets hampered with injuries. Milner should get a year extension to boot.

amolbhatia50k

How are they having a terrific window? It looks like their two main targets aren't gonna join this season. One of their best players have flat out refused to play for them. They still have glaring weaknesses in their team.
Klopp is probably alright not strengthening their defence enough to challenge this season if he's unable to, but all the while bagging some big talents that will sort them for years and years in other areas. It's hardly as if Liverpool is a club expected to win the PL. People forget that. IF they get Lemar and Keita, it would be an excellent window.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I was about to edit that to say could have/on the way to have, but anyway. If they pull of Kieta, Salah, Lemar, Robertson, Solanke and Ox, it will be a fantastic window irrespective of when which player, and even if Coutinho leaves. I'd be delighted if a couple of big talents in the game joined us next season. It obviously depends on whether they pull of the ones which are still rumours, and may not impact them all that much this season (or may do so), but that lot would represent an excellent summer of players with high potential who could on the cusp of big things.
Not sure Robertson, Ox, Solanke are some high potential players. Keita is though, he is very good player.

Apart from Salah none of them are first team starters (not sure on Robertson) and Keita will join next summer. So in short they haven't strengthened their first team a lot, added players like Solanke who will replace players like Origi.

If they sign Lemar and VDV then without a doubt they would have having a terrific window.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Come on, there's a bit more to them than that. They also always go again.
Thats truw, and their the only in the league capable of winning it before Christmas.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
In terms of performances/statistics, yes he has been average but in terms of talent.. I don't think he's an average talent. There is something there in terms of potential but like I have said, a pacey direct player with flair.. he should have been at United and developed into a productive player but instead he was under Wenger who prefers a different style of player. I genuinely think he made a bad career move by going there, similar to Ramsey - both of them stagnated by going there.

Remains to be seen if Ox can resurrect his career, but I for one do think under a half decent manager, there is much to unlock from him.
You could be right, I think I'm just really apathetic to all these English "potential" players that come and go year by year. Barkley is another, before that it was Walcott/Wilshire. Always seems to be an excuse why they haven't reached this magical level of talent they all get projected onto them. People don't like to admit they're actually just not very good. Ox might surprise me, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

amolbhatia50k

Not sure Robertson, Ox, Solanke are some high potential players. Keita is though, he is very good player.

Apart from Salah none of them are first team starters (not sure on Robertson) and Keita will join next summer. So in short they haven't strengthened their first team a lot, added players like Solanke who will replace players like Origi.

If they sign Lemar and VDV then without a doubt they would have having a terrific window.
I put those chaps in to include them all. We can keep having doubts about everyone as I'm sure opposition fans do about our signings. So what if someone joins next summer? This isn't Madrid or Barcelona. Noone expects them to win the league. If they make a habit out of signing players on the rise like Keita, Salah, Lemar, Firmino and Mane, then the club is doing well in the market.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Still perplexed as to why Wenger played him against us, surely he knew he was gone.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Really, genuinely surprised that big clubs are in for him. His Arse career should surely be viewed as a failure?

And that's not down to Wenger, because the same couldn't be said for Sanchez, RvP, or even Cech.

As mental as it sounds, I honestly think part of his popularity is because he's got a cool nickname - like that Hulk chap.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I like you Jazz, we think alike.

He's nothing but a pace merchant who seems to have a decent engine.
Oh I like you too:)

But could you honestly see him coping with Conte? Mind, Klopp won't be putting up with foolishness so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

All I know is if I were in charge at Arsenal, I would never have him play for us again. He's clearly shown he's not committed.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Really, genuinely surprised that big clubs are in for him. His Arse career should surely be viewed as a failure?

And that's not down to Wenger, because the same couldn't be said for Sanchez, RvP, or even Cech.

As mental as it sounds, I honestly think part of his popularity is because he's got a cool nickname - like that Hulk chap.
Me too!

Kostur

海尔的老板
Oh I like you too:)

But could you honestly see him coping with Conte? Mind, Klopp won't be putting up with foolishness so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

All I know is if I were in charge at Arsenal, I would never have him play for us again. He's clearly shown he's not committed.
If he's really refusing to go to Chelski now and wants to go to Liverpool then I'd say that the Conte end is a dead one too. It pretty much should be either Liverpool or some midtable/bottom table club now but knowing Arse, should things with Liverpool not work out, they'll keep him. Another one in the sulking bunch.

The Purley King

Read this on ArsenalMania:
Looks like Oxlade-Chamberlain will be signing for Liverpool - only four days after he made his debut for them.

:)

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Read this on ArsenalMania:
Looks like Oxlade-Chamberlain will be signing for Liverpool - only four days after he made his debut for them.

:)
These are all funny lines, but if you look at the team selection and the tactical set-up, all you can think is that Wenger is insane. He got away with it for the last 3-4 years, cause Liverpool and United had been unsteady and in crisis. Now that Mourinho and Klopp have given those teams a new identity and direction Arsene-al are badly exposed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A move to Chelsea didn't make sense for him given they saw him as a Moses backup/replacement so not surprised he'd rather go to Liverpool

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Aidy Ward is OX's agent, he is also Sterling's agent. So after all the shitfest during Sterling's transfer, Liverpool will be dealing with same agent again.

salford_

So he has basically decided he wants to be a CM, looked at Chelsea's side and thought wont get in there, then checked liverpool's and decided he would? He wouldnt get in either side at CM.

Arsenal Mania forum users reckon he is garbage at CM

salford_

He has been a failure in the grand scheme of things, 9 goals in 150 odd games or something and he has played many of those in attacking positions

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Actually didn't realise just how bad his stats are, no wonder Arsenal fans don't care if he leaves.
I was literally just saying that to my mates. 13 goals and 18 assists in 164 games or something. That's shocking for someone who thinks he's an attacking midfielder.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
He has decent crossing ability, strong shot off either foot and has good work-rate, sort of wide-man who would have thrived under Mourinho if he had him as a manager at a young age.
His crossing went up a level last year, before that he didn't have a good cross. His shot is horribly telegraphed. His decision making and lack of intelligence is his key weakness and he often passes to the opposition. Also his workrate is average, nowhere near as good as Bellerin's.

I am sorry but Wenger is absolutely the type of manager someone can blame these days for lack of development, he is good at spotting talent but not great at pushing players to a high level these days. He accepts mediocrity.
Wenger has one of the best records at top teams of developing youth in Europe. Even in the past 2 seasons he's brought through Bellerin, Holding and Iwobi. George Weah, Thuram, Fabregas and RVP came from obscurity to become world class under him. Henry was a winger who didn't score until Wenger brought him through.

Ox seems like an ambitious player who has accepted he isn't going anywhere with this club and manager, and that his career is at a crossroads. He can either take it easy at Arsenal, or knuckle down at a proper club under a proper manager and change the course of his career.. that is what he is seeking to do. Writing him off is in my opinion premature.
If Ox was ambitious you'd think he'd work harder at actually improving, he hasn't much in 5-6 years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wenger has one of the best records at top teams of developing youth in Europe. Even in the past 2 seasons he's brought through Bellerin, Holding and Iwobi. George Weah, Thuram, Fabregas and RVP came from obscurity to become world class under him. Henry was a winger who didn't score until Wenger brought him through.
The fact it has gone from George Weah, Henry to Bellerin and Iwobi.. says alot about Wenger the manager. He was capable of not only unearthing and moulding top talent, but taking them to the finish line and turning players into the complete article capable of winning titles and producing their best.

He is no longer capable of that, and can't extract the best out of talents. I have no doubt he can still unearth natural talent, but he is a failure at realising the talent.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
£40 fecking million. With one year left on his contract. We were definitely robbed in the Sterling deal, he's twice the player and went for only £9 million more, plus he was younger.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
£40 fecking million. With one year left on his contract. We were definitely robbed in the Sterling deal, he's twice the player and went for only £9 million more, plus he was younger.
Relax, if your board has half a brain cell they'd snap up Barcelonas stupid offers for Coutinho.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
The fact it has gone from George Weah, Henry to Bellerin and Iwobi.. says alot about Wenger the manager. He was capable of not only unearthing and moulding top talent, but taking them to the finish line and turning players into the complete article capable of winning titles and producing their best.

He is no longer capable of that, and can't extract the best out of talents. I have no doubt he can still unearth natural talent, but he is a failure at realising the talent.
The only difference now is that other clubs have improved scouting so top talents like Henry/Fabregas/RVP get snapped up by richer clubs usually. Wenger wanted Mbappe before he signed for Monaco and again this summer, we couldn't compete. He wanted Martial, enquired early to be knocked back, while United had the money to bid big near deadline day. Even after moving away from his youth project he's still bringing more academy players and young players through than any other top5 manager though. He'll probably bring Reiss Nelson through this season.

Chamberlain has had the chances at Arsenal and more often than not has frustrated. Last season after many frsutrating seasons he was actually pretty good wingback, still many of the same problems none the less. Now he wants to move to midfield where he didn't really impress. Ironically if he waited a season and Ozil/Alexis left he'd probably get more chances in the middle than he might at Liverpool.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
much different market. Amazing to say it's only been 2 years but it is what it is.

Runner

£40m seems insane with one year left on his contract. We're talking about the Ox here, not RVP.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
There are too many people who base their opinions on players without looking at anything else. I think that's the case with the Ox here, his stats are terrible I think he only scored twice or something last season but I can't think of many attack minded players Klopp has failed to improve in his time at Dortmund and Liverpool so despite the price I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.