Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was up against Mbappe and hardly put a foot wrong, some people have such idiot expectation levels I swear. He was clearly under instruction not to press too high as he would never be able to catch him again.

He's played about 4 games so far, I wonder what people would have have thought of Evra after his first few games :lol:

MS4

I think he has been fine. I did not expect more. I did not miss Shaw and Shaw was good this year. So i am perfectly fine with the transfer.
I can't say the same about other teams when they miss their first team Defender.

tomaldinho1

He was up against Mbappe and hardly put a foot wrong, some people have such idiot expectation levels I swear. He was clearly under instruction not to press too high as he would never be able to catch him again.

He's played about 4 games so far, I wonder what people would have have thought of Evra after his first few games :lol:
I swear this is one of the biggest issues with our fan base - they don't get that Ole has very clearly told our full backs not to push on in most games - I see so many people complaining about how we need more attacking full backs and slating AWB without even taking into consideration how important our full backs are defensively when we start Maguire/Lindelof. Ole's system is a flat back four with a bit more freedom against weaker teams but he hardly wants AWB and Telles to be playing the same way TAA and Robertson do for Pool, we'd be ripped apart on the counter.

CaptainBirdseye

It'll be noticeable if/when Shaw slots back in how many times Telles immediately plays the ball when he receives it in an attacking position.

It's unbelievably frustrating watching Shaw get the ball on the wing, stop, ponder, and pass it back even though he's got a good cross in him. Still though, both really solid fullbacks imo and a great selection headache to have

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I swear this is one of the biggest issues with our fan base - they don't get that Ole has very clearly told our full backs not to push on in most games - I see so many people complaining about how we need more attacking full backs and slating AWB without even taking into consideration how important our full backs are defensively when we start Maguire/Lindelof. Ole's system is a flat back four with a bit more freedom against weaker teams but he hardly wants AWB and Telles to be playing the same way TAA and Robertson do for Pool, we'd be ripped apart on the counter.
There's been plenty of games where Telles has been pushed up high and almost the highest man on the left wing, but one thing you don't do against PSG and MBAPPE is give him the whole flank to run at, especially with Maguire as your LCB :houllier:

People either just don't understand tactics or expect us to steamroll every team with ease and think we can take the piss? We know Telles isn't rapid, so you need to tailor your tactics to suit the opponent.

Against PSG away when we played the 3-5-2 he was getting forward plenty, so he definitely has it in him.

gza the genius

It'll be noticeable if/when Shaw slots back in how many times Telles immediately plays the ball when he receives it in an attacking position.

It's unbelievably frustrating watching Shaw get the ball on the wing, stop, ponder, and pass it back even though he's got a good cross in him. Still though, both really solid fullbacks imo and a great selection headache to have
It would be nice if there was a happy medium to be fair. Shaw hardly crosses and Telles' first thought every time he gets the ball is to ping it across the field.

tomaldinho1

There's been plenty of games where Telles has been pushed up high and almost the highest man on the left wing, but one thing you don't do against PSG and MBAPPE is give him the whole flank to run at, especially with Maguire as your LCB :houllier:

People either just don't understand tactics or expect us to steamroll every team with ease and think we can take the piss? We know Telles isn't rapid, so you need to tailor your tactics to suit the opponent.

Against PSG away when we played the 3-5-2 he was getting forward plenty, so he definitely has it in him.
Mbappe versus an isolated Maguire sends shivers down the spine!

West Ham 1:3 Man Utd

Ludens the Red

What kind of left back is he meant to be ?
Genuine question. I didn’t know much about him before he signed. Can’t work him out at all. I heard he was meant to be good at crosses. I’ve seen a few decent corners but he never seems to be in good enough positions to cross when he’s wide.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not the quickest is he. Competent with the ball but he's never gonna going to be a marauding overlapping left back.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Not a bad player but he's no world beater. No wonder he wasnt in huge demand when we signed him. Decent squad option but not a lot more IMO.

Godfather

Actually thought he was decent today. Not so good in the first but had a good second half.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Didn't he get an assist? Haven't watched the first half though so can't tell and the second was a carnage job on West Ham so basically we could've played a watering can in his position and still win.

The United

Thought he was crap in defense. He does not really come out like Shaw does when teams switch the balls to his side. Shaw is good at intercepting the ball and starting a quick counter.

But, Telles's offensive output is much better.

saivet

Didn't he get an assist? Haven't watched the first half though so can't tell and the second was a carnage job on West Ham so basically we could've played a watering can in his position and still win.
He did but it wasn't a good cross, Greenwood brilliance.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
What kind of left back is he meant to be ?
Genuine question. I didn’t know much about him before he signed. Can’t work him out at all. I heard he was meant to be good at crosses. I’ve seen a few decent corners but he never seems to be in good enough positions to cross when he’s wide.
Basically the opposite of AWB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Very good going forward and great delivery (when he doesn't hit the first man), but he has to work on his defensive side of the game. Bowen was ripping him apart today and that's two games in a row that he has turned his back on his man only for him to score. Neymar's first on Wednesday and West Hams goal today. Needs to do better at picking up off the ball movement. It will be interesting to see what happens when Shaw is back. Telles offers more going forward but Shaw offers more defensively...

acnumber9

Poor defensively and doesn’t get forward quick enough. He’s got a good cross but he seemingly just crosses it whether there is anyone in the box or not. I don’t rate Shaw, but Shaw is better. By quite a bit I think.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Thought he was crap in defense. He does not really come out like Shaw does when teams switch the balls to his side. Shaw is good at intercepting the ball and starting a quick counter.

But, Telles's offensive output is much better.
Telles’ offensive output has consisted of him trying to cross it every time he gets it and not one of them being good. The only good deliveries he’s had yet have been corners. There is no basis for claiming his offensive output is better. Shaw has two assists from crossing in his last two appearances. There is little basis for even claiming his crossing is better. He tries it a hell of a lot more, that doesn’t make it better. He pumps everything into the box with complete disregard for where his teammates are. There is zero intelligence to his crossing. Shaw actually looks up and finds teammates, it’s something Telles could desperately learn.

The United

Telles’ offensive output has consisted of him trying to cross it every time he gets it and not one of them being good. The only good deliveries he’s had yet have been corners. There is no basis for claiming his offensive output is better. Shaw has two assists from crossing in his last two appearances. There is little basis for even claiming his crossing is better. He tries it a hell of a lot more, that doesn’t make it better. He pumps everything into the box with complete disregard for where his teammates are. There is zero intelligence to his crossing. Shaw actually looks up and finds teammates, it’s something Telles could desperately learn.
Well, at least he is putting the ball into the box to take a chance. Shaw's final ball is usually lacking except for lately, obviously.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I was expecting a LB who is a complete liability defensively but ace in attack. Up to now he looks to me like an OK defender and OK attacker. Can't say which one I prefer :lol:.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Poor defensively and doesn’t get forward quick enough. He’s got a good cross but he seemingly just crosses it whether there is anyone in the box or not. I don’t rate Shaw, but Shaw is better. By quite a bit I think.
I get what you're saying, but a lot of those crosses are crosses into space. A smart player will recognize this and look to get there. We saw Cavani try to get to a good cross in the first half but it was cut off by the defender. That's where the ball needs to go. Put it to a place where a player should be running to, not to where a player already is...

Mcking

He's got a good delivery, but he is weak and slow, and kinda plays within himself. He just isn't involved enough.

Had the least amount of touches among our back six today. That never happens with Shaw.

NinjaFletch

Not a bad player but he's no world beater. No wonder he wasnt in huge demand when we signed him. Decent squad option but not a lot more IMO.
My exact thought today alongside 'no wonder we were haggling to pay as little to possible'.

He's got some quality, but the lack of pace is going to be a huge issue for him. Bowen had him on toast, and he looks almost scared to get in to positions where he can use his crossing because he knows he can't get back.

Hopefully we can work out how to get the best out of him, but I'm very disappointed given the rep he came in with.

cyberman

Looking to be what he is, excellent back up. Shaw gets to the byline more times than Telles.

predator

Youth NITK
I feel more comfortably with him on the ball than shaw but defensively shaw is better. Telles may not look as physical as shaw but he makes up for it because his threat going forward worrisome for the opposition.

Nick7

Was never a big fan of him when he was hyped up to the heavens on the net a couple of years ago. But he’s a solid hand at left back. Better than having Williams backing up Shaw. Good ball for the second goal, unremarkable apart from that.

My exact thought today alongside 'no wonder we were haggling to pay as little to possible'.

He's got some quality, but the lack of pace is going to be a huge issue for him. Bowen had him on toast, and he looks almost scared to get in to positions where he can use his crossing because he knows he can't get back.

Hopefully we can work out how to get the best out of him, but I'm very disappointed given the rep he came in with.
did he have a good reputation?

he’s exactly what I expected. He was bigged up by a few supporters beforehand, who probably just looked at some stats - he’s a good squad player at the least, and has come in without a pre-season with us and is doing ok.

Nick7

Physically unimpressive, positionally horrific and his attacking qualities appear to have been overstated. Let’s hope Shaw is back soon.
This is worrying, yeah. I’ve been giving him the benefit of the doubt so far but he needs to get better at positioning himself defensively.

OneUnited24

He isn't better than Shaw in either attack or defense.
Thats my view of him. I cant tell if hes being asked to play deeper or what but not tracking his runner for their goal was criminal. That said we were zonal so he probably thought Pogba would pick him up - i hate zontal marking.

Regardless i have my doubts over him

acnumber9

I get what you're saying, but a lot of those crosses are crosses into space. A smart player will recognize this and look to get there. We saw Cavani try to get to a good cross in the first half but it was cut off by the defender. That's where the ball needs to go. Put it to a place where a player should be running to, not to where a player already is...
Generally I’d agree but when there’s 7 or 8 defenders against one attacker you have to work it into a better position first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.