Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

did he have a good reputation?

he’s exactly what I expected. He was bigged up by a few supporters beforehand, who probably just looked at some stats - he’s a good squad player at the least, and has come in without a pre-season with us and is doing ok.
People were talking about him as one of the best full backs in Europe (I suspect based largely off stats and his ability in Football Manager) and he obviously isn't that.

I think people are being too harsh on him, but it does look to be in some debate as to whether he's an upgrade on Shaw, and given Shaw's own limitations that's a bit dissapointing.

SinNombre

Shaw is our best fullback, period, so Telles not being better is no slight. People here like to hate on Shaw for his weight troubles after his big injury.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Well, at least he is putting the ball into the box to take a chance. Shaw's final ball is usually lacking except for lately, obviously.
Putting a ball into the box straight to the opposition isn’t taking a chance for anything. It’s giving away possession.

Shaw’s final ball into feet at the top of the box is superb. And far more effective then smashing into cross after cross to no one.

The United

Putting a ball into the box straight to the opposition isn’t taking a chance for anything. It’s giving away possession.

Shaw’s final ball into feet at the top of the box is superb. And far more effective then smashing into cross after cross to no one.
I am not going to argue because I am a fan of Shaw myself.

I just see that Telles has his use in this team and gives something different. And, it seems his signing pushed Shaw to be better. Hope it continues.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There were many people getting very carried away after seeing a couple of good crosses, already deciding he was a considerable upgrade on Shaw. This was despite us having no real evidence of seeing his actual defending. He looks just ok so far

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This Is why i say - Wan Bissaka and Shaw are a good pair of defensive fullbacks.

I'd keep them as our defensive pair and aim to get 2 attacking fullbacks; allowing us to have the best of the 4 options we want from fullback (2 attacking and 2 defensive).

georgipep

Poor defensively and doesn’t get forward quick enough. He’s got a good cross but he seemingly just crosses it whether there is anyone in the box or not. I don’t rate Shaw, but Shaw is better. By quite a bit I think.
He stopped going forward because Bowen was so aggressive today. You should be thankful he didn't commit too often to attacks. We would have sank even deeper.

acnumber9

He stopped going forward because Bowen was so aggressive today. You should be thankful he didn't commit too often to attacks. We would have sank even deeper.
What difference would it have made? Bowen was going past him like he wasn’t there anyway. Unfortunately it’s the impression I’ve got from him over a number of games, not just today. I could be wrong but I think Shaw will walk back into the team. And then get injured again obviously.

vodrake

From what I've seen so far I wouldn't say he's better or worse than Shaw, both offer a lot of different things. I wish he'd offer himself more on the overlap though

Crashoutcassius

still early days, never played at anything close to this level and he cost basically zero money compared to the usual going rate for city / chelsea / united of 40-60m for a full back

Crashoutcassius

This Is why i say - Wan Bissaka and Shaw are a good pair of defensive fullbacks.

I'd keep them as our defensive pair and aim to get 2 attacking fullbacks; allowing us to have the best of the 4 options we want from fullback (2 attacking and 2 defensive).
i'd agree with this. could mix and match depending on game and who is in the 7 and 11 positions for us

georgipep

What difference would it have made? Bowen was going past him like he wasn’t there anyway. Unfortunately it’s the impression I’ve got from him over a number of games, not just today. I could be wrong but I think Shaw will walk back into the team. And then get injured again obviously.
I also think Shaw will be back but it's naive to think it wouldn't have made a difference if Bowen didn't have to pass Telles.

He's ok, pretty much exactly what I expected actually based on his play at Porto. Good option to have at a good price, not every signing has to be world class. Still prefer Shaw in that position but happy to have different kinds of players as options at left back.

acnumber9

I also think Shaw will be back but it's naive to think it wouldn't have made a difference if Bowen didn't have to pass Telles.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full back beaten as easily as Telles was for that one Fornals headed wide.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's ok, pretty much exactly what I expected actually based on his play at Porto. Good option to have at a good price, not every signing has to be world class. Still prefer Shaw in that position but happy to have different kinds of players as options at left back.
Exactly.

I don't think we'd be able to keep 2 great players happy for the same position. Let them push each other for the starting role. I personally think Shaw is our best defender. I'm stating the obvious but Telles to be fair has a better delivery.

OrcaFat

He will improve I feel. He’s not a kid but he will adapt. He got caught out of position a bit today but did ok. Shaw is better but this guy will keep him honest and may push Shaw to improve. Full disclosure, I still feel Shaw will become a truly fantastic player (fitness allowing).

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

I very much doubt you can keep the very best 4 internationals happy for 2 positions. You definitely need a first choice and someone decent who can come in due to injuries, rest, and suspensions.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Defensively, he was quite poor. Lost his man for the 1st goal, and was at fault for the Soucek chance in the 2nd half, where he should have been marking Masuaku's run, I think it was

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
i'd agree with this. could mix and match depending on game and who is in the 7 and 11 positions for us
Exactly. In the modern game strikers dont always just play centrally and having a pair of good defensive fullback isn't a bad idea as it sounds to hold back all the inverted forwards.

Mbappe, Sterling, Neymar have all struggled with our fullbacks one day ( and I'm sure there is more) as we have defensive fullbacks able to keep then relatively quiet.

When we dont need that we should have a good quality pair of attacking fullbacks (telles doesn't look bad). This allows us to change our tactics to two attacking wingback or we can instead keep a defensive one on one side whilst on the other side can have an attacking one depending on the opposition's attacking tactics.
I very much doubt you can keep the very best 4 internationals happy for 2 positions. You definitely need a first choice and someone decent who can come in due to injuries, rest, and suspensions.
Telles moved whilst Shaw was here so I cant see why a new RWB wouldnt join whilst Wan Bissaka is here.

Even if it doesn't happen by buying I'd have space for two attacking youngsters like Laird playing under Wan Bissaka. It gives us 2 options with our choices.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Solid player. The crosses alone were worth the buy.
Exactly what we need, with having AWB on the other side. Fullback that taking chances, has good engine, can stay fit, and can put in decent crosses.

I like what i see so far.

RedIan

Out of position to often for opposition attacks but contributes well in attack. Jury still out for me.

kundalini

Failed to track Soucek for their goal. Struggled against Bowen in the first half. Good link-up for Martial's shot. Decent cross that got cut-out, immediately followed by a woeful corner, easily cleared at the near post. Got an assist for Greenwood's goal.

A bit alarming how easily Bowen destroyed him.

Far too early to assess whether he is better or worse than Shaw, or simply a better fit for some games but not others.

Whenever Bruno gets the ball, our strikers come alive, start making runs. Will they do the same in anticipation of a Telles cross ? If they remain stationary, then it will be very difficult for him to out-perform Shaw. The quality of his crosses will need to improve as well.

Last edited:

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I thought he was awful today. Bit of a headless chicken but weve got to remember he is coming back off a positive covid test. Same with Pogba really. We dont know the full impact yet.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think he was a bit all over the place, but it is a baptism of fire coming into the premier league and performing at a high level. The backline is a bit all over the place and I think all four positions have problems with the overall chemistry of the defence.

Devil may care

Got an assist, his first I think?, but he was defensively shaky today and I've got no doubt Shaw will be straight back in when fully fit.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hes a lot better going forward than Shaw. It's not even a contest. However I'd say Shaw is comfortably better in the defensive side of the game.

Great problem to have. We have two good left backs with different stengths.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The people killing him for the first goal have no clue about football. Once you let the opponent get a deflection in near post at that speed, Alex Telles has to be super man to react faster than Soucelk and then I'm not sure how its not an own goal

Eddy_JukeZ

Shaw being better than him isn't a bad indictment. Shaw is criminally underrated on here IMO.

432JuanMata

These days you are either good going forward or good defensively, if you have both you are rare and worth so much these days. TAA has it even though I wouldn’t call him world class defensively but he is good and WC going forward and he invaluable to Liverpool.
If we want to get back to the top I would rather a LB better going forward than defending so I’m ok.
Imagine we put him and AWB into one player.

432JuanMata

Shaw is our number one against big teams. Telles should play 60% of the games against weaker teams. Insane delivery.
This 100% if we plan on sitting back in games and countering against top sides then Shaw in the way to go, other than that Telles all day

Status
Not open for further replies.