Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Completed 6 out 14 passes. One key pass for his corner that Greenwood headed over.

Poor delivery on 2 wide free-kicks, one straight to the keeper, the other easily cut-out by the first defender.

I wouldn't blame him for their 2nd goal. Since Shaw failed to get back in position, Telles was left with 2 players to mark. He chose the one closest to the goal, then got a slight push that eliminated any slim chance of him getting to the cross.

Last edited:
Another poor display from Telles. I think he’ll be a good player for us, but I think he’s going to have teething issues for a lot of his first season here.

Red00012

People got way too excited over this fella taking 2 corners v PSG away

el3mel

Wasn't crossing supposed to be his best asset? Because I am not impressed with it at all. He has been underwhelming for me in this regard. Maybe it's not helped by our players being so stupid to position themselves in the box but his crosses aren't good either. The assist he got for Greenwood against WHU was a terrible cross that Greenwood saved it by a sublime first touch.

OldTrevil

He certainly hasn't been inspiring, but it's early days so he should get some leeway for at least about six months

RedStarUnited

So you’d take off our best defender so someone who struggles to beat a man and get back to cover our CB‘s can take free kicks and corners when he hasn’t even shown the quality of delivery expected of him?
Shaw is our best defender? Okay im done talking about this.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Wasn't crossing supposed to be his best asset? Because I am not impressed with it at all. He has been underwhelming for me in this regard. Maybe it's not helped by our players being so stupid to position themselves in the box but his crosses aren't good either. The assist he got for Greenwood against WHU was a terrible cross that Greenwood saved it by a sublime first touch.
When you watch his highlights reel for Porto you understand why his crossing and set-pieces were so effective and influential for them. Its because they had a target man and Telles, in the set-up, pushed further up the pitch. Dribbling really isn't his style. One-touch and he whips the ball in. Feels like he has to take too many touches before our players are in position.
At the moment, its a mess.

Betson

Another poor display from Telles. I think he’ll be a good player for us, but I think he’s going to have teething issues for a lot of his first season here.

Lets hope they are no more than teething issues , before we bought him reports were that Leicester was interested in him before us but pulled out because they felt defensively he was not good enough for the premiership. He was far from our first choice as well.

Lets hope they are no more than teething issues , before we bought him reports were that Leicester was interested in him before us but pulled out because they felt defensively he was not good enough for the premiership. He was far from our first choice as well.
Hmm... I never knew about that tbh. The optimist in me says that a lot of big teams supposedly weren’t interested in Bruno due to his sometimes poor retention of the ball, yet that’s still worked out pretty well for us:)

jamesjimmybyrondean

How far from our first choice. We weren't linked to any other lb other than Reguilon who was actually offered to us in the first place

MAME DIOUF 32

Hmm. Got a run of games due to Shaw's injury but back on the bench as soon as his pretty unconvincing competitor is fit again. Not a great sign.

Kweku Amonoo

Shaw is a much better left back, all things considered. Telles is only a better crosser of the ball.

Sheffield Utd 2:3 Man Utd

Idxomer

The attempts here to make us believe that he would be an instant upgrade on Shaw was amusing in the summer.

He isn't built for this league.

His crossing ability is made quite redundant by the fact that 1) we very rarely have our fullbacks receiving the ball high up in the opposition half like a Liverpool or Chelsea 2) he's not a good enough link up man to get into positions to cross (at Porto he didn't have to be since they dominate 90% of the teams in that league) and 3) we have no actual runners or aerial threats in the box other than Cavani when he plays.

Think Shaw is quite clearly the better player and maybe our most underrated one on here. Still, happy enough with the Telles purchase as Shaw is a crock and Telles is a hell of a lot better than Williams.

el3mel

He's decent but nothing else unfortunately. Expected more to be totally honest, but at the moment he's just a decent backup for Shaw to rest him for important games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The attempts here to make us believe that he would be an instant upgrade on Shaw was amusing in the summer.

He isn't built for this league.
Feck me. The knee jerking on here tonight! Henderson is a shit Ben Foster and Telles should be given up on immediately. New signings need time to settle and get used to a new league. How many games are you going to allow him?

Lassitude42

A good left foot but lacks the athleticism to be much of a force at either end of the pitch

Nick7

Decent backup, better than Williams. But I haven’t been impressed by him once so far. I hope he gets better.

NickJ

His positioning is woeful for a fullback, never seems aware of what’s going on behind him. Also yet to see anything attacking wise to prove he’s any better than shaw!

Idxomer

Feck me. The knee jerking on here tonight! Henderson is a shit Ben Foster and Telles should be given up on immediately. New signings need time to settle and get used to a new league. How many games are you going to allow him?
Where's the kneejerk?

People judging players without seeing him was a kneejerk. Telles is a finished product, he won't get any better. He won't become better physically or acquire better technique over the next few weeks or months. He's a passable backup for Shaw but I would worry if he needs to play for a prolonged period.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Where's the kneejerk?

People judging players without seeing him was a kneejerk. Telles is a finished product, he won't get any better. He won't become better physically or acquire better technique over the next few weeks or months. He's a passable backup for Shaw but I would worry if he needs to play for a prolonged period.
Are you out of your fecking mind?! Have you honestly never seen another footballer look out of his depth while adjusting to a new league and/or team? Fabinho couldn’t even get a game for Liverpool for months. Likewise Andy Robertson.

Or how about our own Patrice Evra?

Tells hasn’t even looked that bad ffs.

Acole9

Outstanding
In matches like tonight he's fine but against the big sides he's going to be exposed and teams will pick up on that.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Are you out of your fecking mind?! Have you honestly never seen another footballer look out of his depth while adjusting to a new league and/or team? Fabinho couldn’t even get a game for Liverpool for months. Likewise Andy Robertson.

He hasn't looked bad at all, but he hasn't looked good as well. I don't know what is his strength other than crossing, so far looks average at best at everything else. I like that we can use him to use Shaw though.

He is confident, but lacks athletism imo to play that position. Happy to be proven wrong.

GledTheRed

Where's the kneejerk?

What was so bad about his performance?

Fcuk me, he was totally fine.

Idxomer

At what age did those players come to their respective clubs?

Also, I think you need to calm down a bit, it's not that serious. You think he'll adjust and I think the deficiencies he's shown so far in his game aren't easy to get over at his age.

atkar83

With Shaw still on the team, I just need Telles to be solid enough to give Shaw a break without there being a massive drop off, and decent enough of an option when he eventually gets hurt. Even if he isn't lighting the world on fire on offense or defense, he's not a liability which is an upgrade over most of the backup RBs we've had.

NinjaFletch

I thought, especially defensively, that was one of his better games for us.

There's very obvious issues with him going forward though. He's decent enough on the ball, but plays in a way that does not suit any of our other players. I hope it improves with time, and I still hope Cavani can suit him a bit more. But yeah, I guess I hoped a player that was being wanked off as one of the best attacking full backs in world football would have a bit more about him; he'll probably be a decent enough back up for Shaw, but for my money if that's all Telles can be then it leaves us with two problems still to solve at Full Back compared to the other top teams.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Lowest completed passes % (70), next was Bruno (79). This is very low. I know he does some difficult things, what would explain that, but he loses the ball in easy situations too.

Wicked_Badger

He’s looked fine. Not great, not awful. Probably can & will improve once he adjusts, he’s played what, 5 PL games?

I’ve seen people play far worse in their first few games for us and gone on to have a successful spell.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
In matches like tonight he's fine but against the big sides he's going to be exposed and teams will pick up on that.
This is the only thing I could think constructive about his performances so far. He hardly won an aerial duel at the end, not that anyone else did either, but you're right - teams will target that eventually.

His passing is so much more progressive than Shaw's ever has been.

3KDré

His game is based on crossing but we pretty much only play on the ground. There were several times you could see him looking up about to cross and there wasn’t anyone in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.