Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

He has been fine, nothing spectacular or eccentric. Much better defensively than I expected as well.

We have two good left backs now, so we can afford to rest Shaw whenever we need to.

He has been fine, nothing spectacular or eccentric. Much better defensively than I expected as well.

We have two good left backs now, so we can afford to rest Shaw whenever we need to.
I think he’s done really well, given he came from a different league, had no pre-season with us, got Covid and had a really disrupted start to the season.

in terms of performance, he’s been as expected. A good squad option and competition to Shaw. I didn’t expect him to come in and be an upgrade on Shaw, so my expectations weren’t as high as some.

Mcking

I think he’s done really well, given he came from a different league, had no pre-season with us, got Covid and had a really disrupted start to the season.

in terms of performance, he’s been as expected. A good squad option and competition to Shaw. I didn’t expect him to come in and be an upgrade on Shaw, so my expectations weren’t as high as some.
Yeah, haven't seen him beaten too many times on the ground, and wins most of his headers too. Only worry in his defensive game so far is his defending in the box which is an admirable quality of Shaw's.

Not a fan of how slow he is to get up the pitch, and how easy it seems to knock him off the ball, but most of our players seem to have the same problem. Overall I've been satisfied with how he's performed considering he's played mostly in the Portuguese league before joining.

Shaw is very good anyway and will play most games, but I trust Telles to step in whenever needed considering how he's done so far. Hope he naturally gets better with more time in the team as well.

Devil81

At this current time I have to say I'm hugely underwhelmed but like all new signings you have to give them time, Fred is one of the biggest examples of this in recent times.

Evra took a few months to get going, I'm not putting Telles in that class but one Evra found his feet he could express his attacking flair more on the team. Telles looks a little bit like he's finding the speed of the English game a challenge, tracking runners and getting back into position quickly etc....

English footballer is a quicker game than the continent.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's performing about as well as you'd expect a back up left back who just arrived from the continent to be performing... As others have said, still early days and plenty of time to improve.

He does seem to be remarkabley poor in the air though... Which is annoying when you're other full back has the aerial presence of a badger.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really good game from Telles I think, held up to their long ball tactics well, made some great forward passes for Rashford and generally linked the play up well.

Made a very important tackle just before their 2nd goal, could have easily gave away a penalty with a mistimed tackle. Good performance.

dutchred

He's performing about as well as you'd expect a back up left back who just arrived from the continent to be performing... As others have said, still early days and plenty of time to improve.

He does seem to be remarkabley poor in the air though... Which is annoying when you're other full back has the aerial presence of a badger.
Obviously it's early days, but I really don't understand why we didn't go for Tagliafico. Brilliant in the air and going forward and was available at a readonable price

flappyjay

So far he has been dependable and for what we got him for I am fine with that. I wouldn't get too nervous if we had to rely on him for 4-10 games.

AneRu

True, it's good to have options and having him means that we can use Shaw at CB when we have to.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This is the only thing I could think constructive about his performances so far. He hardly won an aerial duel at the end, not that anyone else did either, but you're right - teams will target that eventually.

His passing is so much more progressive than Shaw's ever has been.
Just because he crosses a lot doesn't mean he's much more progressive than Shaw.

Sylar

I reckon we will see him better used as we saw on his debut or when Cavani plays. I think as a wingback we will see him at his best. But also when crossing I think Cavani will make the movement that will benefit us

He hasn't been bad. I do think he's an 'alternative' and wasn't our first choice lb to be bought, but the good thing is were not struggling there either esp with Shaw out (and we can pick and choose who to play depending on opposition)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Shaw's 1-2 passing with Rashford and Pogba which unlocked space for Rashford and Pogba was a huge part of our attacking in seasons before and stats says it's not progressive.
I don't disagree with that either. 1-2s are about the only way Shaw goes forward, he also slows play down a lot as well. He regularly doesn't attempt line breaking passes, or first time passes and his crossing is poor. Things that Telles is better at and does more than Shaw.

RashyForPM

5/10 start, but he’s just arrived from an undeniably far weaker league and has only played a few games. As expected, his best performance came in Europe against PSG, where he’s acclimatised, and against WBA at OT, a poor team. Also, last night, if the ref wasn’t blind, he’d have saved us from conceding the second with an inch-perfect slide tackle.

Just like Donny, let’s give him a chance.

led_scholes

He is a 6/10 player until now. I still take a player with this deviation over Shaw who goes between 4 and 7.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Shaw is better. When we were pursuing a left-back, I made the general comparison that Telles was like what you’d see if you played Beckham at full back - good delivery (when able to make the space to use it), great stamina limited pace, dribbling or agility. Reguilon was closer to what you’d get if Giggs were to be player at full back.

Reguilon was always the better option I think as a player, however the clause issue, and probably the higher fee, meant we opted for Telles. I’d absolutely pick Shaw over him any day though. But we needed a LB of some description as Shaw is guaranteed to miss football every season, and I don’t think Brandon Williams is anywhere near good enough. I’d have just perhaps have preferred a LB who was better than Shaw maybe, but Telles will do as cover.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So far, he's 6-7/10 player. Not a disaster, and not that great either; but still a bit above average with something to offer to the team. Just like McTom.

meamth

I'd imagine if he is used to the league and the club, he will be twice the player he is now.

Give him time.

Marcus

Yup. Comparisons with Evra are fair. He too needs to get used to basics in this team before he can perform to his full potential.

Web of Bissaka

LB department sorted.
It's not amazing, but it's no longer a problem. I'm confident switching Shaw <-> Telles, depending on who we're facing.

Focus on other positions next - CB, RB, RW, DM.

Pretty much. He’s a good, solid player to have around the squad. We’ll get some goals out of his crossing, too.
He’s a good, experienced player. Not top class, but that’s not what we need. We needed an actual left back capable of playing in order to rest Shaw and cover for him when injured.

Shaw is not that popular with fans, so think a lot thought Telles would be his replacement, and had expectations that were too high.

Kag

He’s a good, experienced player. Not top class, but that’s not what we need. We needed an actual left back capable of playing in order to rest Shaw and cover for him when injured.

Shaw is not that popular with fans, so think a lot thought Telles would be his replacement, and had expectations that were too high.
Indeed. We desperately needed cover and competition for Shaw at left back and that’s what we’ve got. I expect he’ll improve, too.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How do they count those "chances created"?

I think it was his best game for us, created one big chance, and was OK defensively (without being tested much). Now bring in Shaw for Leicester.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
No comments on his performance today?

Thought he was pretty poor.
Thought he was average. One bad decision that let Coleman in, but alright otherwise.

Still feel like Shaw slows down the game too much for us and whilst telles isn't perfect, he is better for us right now.

kundalini

I thought he had a good first half, his crosses resulted in Cavani's shot from beyond the far post that was saved, Greenwood's header that hit the outside of the post and a tame Pogba header from a corner. 2nd half some good defending from Telles after Matic's poor play, a rubbish cross from Telles out of play and his free-kick off-target. 2 tackles 3 interceptions. One poor moment when he tried to let the ball go out for a throw-in but the Everton player kept it alive and attacked down their right.

Falcow

Hes ok. Crossing/delivery is very disappointing given the reputation he came with. Decent back up.

First game where he's actually gotten up the touchline and sent in some dangerous crosses instead of being stuck on the halfway line trying to play through the press (due to his mediocre dribbling and short passing compared to Shaw). Those first 30 minutes were his best of the season in my book. He's still getting comfortable with the team, as I say after every game he'll never be top class and for 15 mil that's ok. He's a good option to have.

Still think the same - good player, good character...but unsuited to how we play.

He's always looking for a cross, looking for runners in the box, players arriving late and - outside Cavani - he's not going to get much of that here.

He's still a fine backup. Really tidy technical player, good attitude, but I doubt we ever see the absolute best of him.

A more dynamic, dribbler at full-back would have suited our style a lot more. Reguillon, Theo Hernandez etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.