Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZupZup

Not a clue what our scouts were watching when we decided to sign him.

Decent at crossing but average at everything else. Watching two or three matches of his would be enough to realise he is no upgrade at all.

lsd

The Oracle
We need to stop buying Brazilians as we clearly haven't a clue. Telles is well a nothing player with no real upside that i can see

spiriticon

It hasn't been top notch but consider we have no targets in the middle. Today whenever Telles crossed a ball we only had Cavani in the box. Against 3 or even 4 defenders. It's baffling.
True. We need more people challenging for headers for sure.

But, I still fell in general his crosses are somewhat short of the mark.

The Purley King

I had horrible visions of the ghost of Christmas moyes.
constant fairly pointless crossing that was easily dealt with.
I hope he wasn’t being told to specifically do that.............

Godfather

We need to stop buying Brazilians as we clearly haven't a clue. Telles is well a nothing player with no real upside that i can see
He offers good and very much needed competition to Shaw who is a sicknote.
I actually think he has been a very good signing. Better than Shaw? Who cares. We have two good fullbacks on to left now.

Not a clue what our scouts were watching when we decided to sign him.

Decent at crossing but average at everything else. Watching two or three matches of his would be enough to realise he is no upgrade at all.
Don't think he was meant to be an upgrade, we spent very little on him. Shaw is actually quite a good left back although injury prone. so a decent left back with a different profile is perfect to come in and challenge him/provide depth. Think our fanbase has placed far too much expectation on Telles to be some master marauding left back based off a few nice crosses in his highlights. Shaw is far from the most pressing concern in our starting XI to upgrade on anyways.

ZupZup

Don't think he was meant to be an upgrade, we spent very little on him. Shaw is actually quite a good left back although injury prone. so a decent left back with a different profile is perfect to come in and challenge him/provide depth. Think our fanbase has placed far too much expectation on Telles to be some master marauding left back based off a few nice crosses in his highlights. Shaw is far from the most pressing concern in our starting XI to upgrade on anyways.
I don’t even think Telles is an upgrade on Williams.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Love for us to go for Anthony Robinson at Fulham at some point. Great potential.

I don’t even think Telles is an upgrade on Williams.
I hope you're joking. Watching Williams cut back onto his right and pass to our centreback any time he's given the ball is one of the most painful things I've ever seen. Telles ain't all that but he's sure as hell an upgrade on Brandon, even though I like the lad

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Telles was clearly not the first choice. Reguilon was really the first choice. Telles is just crossing type of full back but he has no pace and dribbling skills, unfortunately those crossings won't be effective when the opposition plays 3 centre backs. Reguilon was the opposite, he's not crossing type of full back, he's more pacey and dribbling ability, bit remind me Evra.

ZupZup

I hope you're joking. Watching Williams cut back onto his right and pass to our centreback any time he's given the ball is one of the most painful things I've ever seen. Telles ain't all that but he's sure as hell an upgrade on Brandon, even though I like the lad
I was half joking... but let’s not pretend that almost all of Telles’ passes aren’t going straight to Maguire.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was ok. The crosses into Cavani were a clear tactic early on which didn't come off, because while the delivery could have been better I was more disappointed with the lack of other targets in the box nor anyone on the posts looking to profit from a flick-on. He also slotted into midfield here and there and was fine, then went off with what I believe was a knock rather than being hooked for performing poorly.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's been OK but he shows that people shouldn't get so obsessed with crossing from fullbacks. It's barely been a feature for us despite it being one of his highlighted strengths.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He played decent. Can put a ball into the box. Annoyingly Shaw has everything but that ability. If we combined those 2 we’d have the best fullback about. Maybe Ole is onto something swapping them both at half time.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's looked bang average so far. Hopefully he's just coming to terms with the new country.

atkar83

We just need him to be better than Shaw's backup the past 5 seasons, which he is. We lose a bit when hes starting over Shaw, but its the only way to keep Shaw from getting those nagging muscle injuries

Jericho

I don't know what to make of him. He seems a bit overawed by the situation. He has to be capable of more than what he's showing. Right now he offers nothing. The new Darmian in a way.

championo

Top Stalker
He's looked bang average so far. Hopefully he's just coming to terms with the new country.
He looks below average, what infuriate me is his tendency to just go to a spot when we are attacking and just stand there, does not offer any movement to help those on the ball. When he gets the ball, he also just stops. I hope he can have a turn around like Evra did but so far I have been underwhelmed.

Ekeke

He looks below average, what infuriate me is his tendency to just go to a spot when we are attacking and just stand there, does not offer any movement to help those on the ball. When he gets the ball, he also just stops. I hope he can have a turn around like Evra did but so far I have been underwhelmed.
So we have both Shaw and Telles doing this. Its almost like thats our tactics... Have the leftback provide the width on the left while Rashford and the other million players who want to play passes to each other on the inside left (Pogba, Matic, Martial with Greenwood making a run diagonally to the left to get in behind the defence) have more space in the middle and Rashford doesn't have to be out on the touchline in a left wing position. Then we have players bring the ball so far forward that when they finally do decide to play it out wide to the fullback they have 2 options. Pass it backwards or cross

championo

Top Stalker
So we have both Shaw and Telles doing this. Its almost like thats our tactics... Have the leftback provide the width on the left while Rashford and the other million players who want to play passes to each other on the inside left (Pogba, Matic, Martial with Greenwood making a run diagonally to the left to get in behind the defence) have more space in the middle and Rashford doesn't have to be out on the touchline in a left wing position. Then we have players bring the ball so far forward that when they finally do decide to play it out wide to the fullback they have 2 options. Pass it backwards or cross
This is an interesting take, I did not think of this. It may be instructions from someone who has stayed in position his LVG.

Jericho

Not sure I agree. Shaw gets forward a lot from what I can see. He's one of the few plays to give-and-go and he usually moves the ball fairly quickly and cleverly.

Ekeke

Not sure I agree. Shaw gets forward a lot from what I can see. He's one of the few plays to give-and-go and he usually moves the ball fairly quickly and cleverly.
They both do. They both take up a wide left position and stand there near the edge of the pitch while the ball is moved up the left hand side until Rashford waits and waits and waits and by the time he plays the ball theres like 5 yards and a 60/40 challenge with a defender to get to the ball and cross it, or pass it back. The point is they're high up the pitch but they just stand out there as a passing option because they only get the ball from Rashford in attack when theres no room and a defender sprinting at them.

On the break Shaw will dribble forward into space, because we havent run out of room on the left side of the attack yet. All the other players arent in his way

Matt851

Telles was clearly not the first choice. Reguilon was really the first choice. Telles is just crossing type of full back but he has no pace and dribbling skills, unfortunately those crossings won't be effective when the opposition plays 3 centre backs. Reguilon was the opposite, he's not crossing type of full back, he's more pacey and dribbling ability, bit remind me Evra.
Unfortunately his crossing also appears to be quite shit

Holters

The number of times rashford wanted him to overlap?! Just take the run you slow lazy feck!
Something is definitely off with Telles. It looks like he is struggling with fitness - maybe he hasn't fully recovered from Covid-19 - or he doesn't understand his tactical role in the team. He is awful at overlapping Rashford, which often leads to Rashford holding on to the ball too long. Shaw was overlapping immediately when he came on. He is miles ahead of Telles currently - both offensively and defensively. It has nothing to do with ability, but Telles clearly hasn't acclimatised to our way of playing or is struggling with fitness. Both Rashford and Maguire doesn't form a proper partnership with Telles as of yet.

With that being said, Wan Bissaka is just as awful at overlapping on the right side. Bar Shaw, our fullbacks are awful offensively.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Something is definitely off with Telles. It looks like he is struggling with fitness - maybe he hasn't fully recovered from Covid-19 - or he doesn't understand his tactical role in the team. He is awful at overlapping Rashford, which often leads to Rashford holding on to the ball too long. Shaw was overlapping immediately when he came on. He is miles ahead of Telles currently - both offensively and defensively. It has nothing to do with ability, but Telles clearly hasn't acclimatised to our way of playing or is struggling with fitness. Both Rashford and Maguire doesn't form a proper partnership with Telles as of yet.

With that being said, Wan Bissaka is just as awful at overlapping on the right side. Bar Shaw, our fullbacks are awful offensively.
To be fair to Telles he’s probably learnt in the short time he’s been here that Rashford never passes to the LB making an overlaping run in to space so subconsciously he’s thinking why bother.

There was a game recently where I felt sorry for Telles and he made countless runs inbehind in to space and not once did Rashford give him the ball. Surely that is going to play a part in your willingness to make that run.

I do think we need to either get better at getting him in space quickly to turn a defence and put a quick ball in or he just needs to somehow get a lot physically better at carrying a ball and creating space for himself.

bsCallout

Not sure I agree with most on here.

Defensively ive had no problems with him at all.

Some games suit him more than others, if a team sits as deep as Wolves he doesnt offer much with his crosses, otherwise he plays good balls in behind the back line.

Finally, Rashford does not help any fullback. I wish hed play right so that AWB can do what he usually does i.e. not a lot and allow Shaw or Telles some space down that side. Otherwise we just see Rashford stand with the ball for a minute before passing in a cramped triangle and then passing it back to Maguire.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he's doing OK considering how weak and slow he is (for a fullback). People need to take that under consideration, he can be better on the ball but he'll not become more athletic.

As far as his crossing is considered, he's nothing special. I guess the tactic is to cross whenever possible because he's not very good at anything else. I bet we would see Shaw making similar number of decent crosses if he was told to do it every time he gets the ball.

Not overly concerned about him, clearly second choice fullback although not my kind of fullback.

Andersonson

Both are good fullbacks, not class but good. And both have seperate qualities.

A decent buy tbf, both will play games and both will do ok.

Based Adnan

No issues with him spamming crosses like he did first half vs Wolves but you're asking a lot if Cavani is the only target in the box

Man Utd 1:0 Watford

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really don’t rate him as a defender. His anticipation isn’t the best. He always seems to be reacting to situations rather than reading them.

Going forward he offers some good passing and his delivery is great at times but I think Shaw is more reliable in that department on current form as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.