Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daonico

I am pretty relaxed about this, if we are really in for him, we will get him, in the last minute probably... if we don't get him, I am pretty sure it is because we were never really interested... just another Gaitan.

It is ok to try to get a better price, specially in a non priority transfer, I don't think there is anything to complain about Ed and company... this time

Let's face it, the reason why some people are desperate for this is because we have been failing in other parts of the transfer window, had we already sign Sancho, Donny and maybe some other guy, nobody would be too worry about this and would simply be an extra candy... but right now, many think is our last hope haha.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I am pretty relaxed about this, if we are really in for him, we will get him, in the last minute probably... if we don't get him, I am pretty sure it is because we were never really interested... just another Gaitan.

It is ok to try to get a better price, specially in a non priority transfer, I don't think there is anything to complain about Ed and company... this time

Let's face it, the reason why some people are desperate for this is because we have been failing in other parts of the transfer window, had we already sign Sancho, Donny and maybe some other guy, nobody would be too worry about this and would simply be an extra candy... but right now, many think is our last hope haha.
The issue is we need a left back, desperately. Shaw isn't good enough as it is, but on top of it is incredibly injury prone. In a season where we'll play twice a week every week, with CL football meaning we won't be able to rotate like in the Europa League, hes guaranteed to have injury problems unless his game time is managed. Managed through proper depth/competition, like Telles.

Coming into the window, our 2 biggest needs were right wing (who can be actual quality depth for the attack at the same time), and left back competition. Move Williams to right back depth. Attacking midfield cover and a CB probably after them. We signed the midfielder, but thats it. Our performances go to shit when Shaw gets injured, and he's not even good enough overall. Thats the funny thing.

Daonico

The issue is we need a left back, desperately. Shaw isn't good enough as it is, but on top of it is incredibly injury prone. In a season where we'll play twice a week every week, with CL football meaning we won't be able to rotate like in the Europa League, hes guaranteed to have injury problems unless his game time is managed. Managed through proper depth/competition, like Telles.

Coming into the window, our 2 biggest needs were right wing (who can be actual quality depth for the attack at the same time), and left back competition. Move Williams to right back depth. Attacking midfield cover and a CB probably after them. We signed the midfielder, but thats it. Our performances go to shit when Shaw gets injured, and he's not even good enough overall. Thats the funny thing.
I agree with most of that except the "desperately". I think we could really use a good LB to provide competition/backup for Shaw. But I don't think we are desperate for one comparing to other positions.

I haven't payed any attention to Telles before this, so my knowledge is very limited, seems a good buy, give us options, and the price is not high. But I don't think it is a purchase we definitely need. I think if our transfer bussines wasn't so crap, this would simply be an "icing on the cake" kind of transfer.

But our transfer window HAS been crap, so, we (as fans) are a bit desperate to see the squad strengthen in anyway posible.

Kostov

no a property run club just throws £5m away.

first of all we don’t actually know what’s happening, second of all of course we should be haggling. He’s not a priority, no other club is seemingly in for him, and he can move for free in 9 months.

or perhaps we should just pay the first price another club asks for?
Paying the asking price is not throwing money away, you either pay up or don’t waste time while the season is already underway.

Saying it’s no priority but it’s one of the three talked potential incomings in the last week of the transfer window. A transfer window where it was expected of us to push on afte finishing 3rd?

Perhaps we should plan better and do our 3 transfer incoming before the season even starts?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I agree with most of that except the "desperately". I think we could really use a good LB to provide competition/backup for Shaw. But I don't think we are desperate for one comparing to other positions.

I haven't payed any attention to Telles before this, so my knowledge is very limited, seems a good buy, give us options, and the price is not high. But I don't think it is a purchase we definitely need. I think if our transfer bussines wasn't so crap, this would simply be an "icing on the cake" kind of transfer.

But our transfer window HAS been crap, so, we (as fans) are a bit desperate to see the squad strengthen in anyway posible.
Eh, give it a month or 2 when Shaw gets injured due to playing twice a week for a few weeks in a row, and then we're forced to play Brandon Williams at left back twice a week against the likes of Southampton away/Leipzig/West Ham away/PSG/City home (a very real possibility for 2 weeks between Sat Nov 28 and Sat Dec 12th). Coming out of international break we have:
  1. Newcastle away
  2. CL midweek
  3. Chelsea away
  4. CL midweek
  5. Arsenal home
  6. CL midweek
  7. Everton away
So the 3 CL games there will be Leipzig, PSG and Istanbul, in any order and unsure of home/away. Do you think Shaw will get through even that injury free? What opportunities will we get to rest him without severely dropping in quality when against a good team? Even Istanbul, whenever we play them, have Rafael and Visca on the right wing and will destroy our left flank if Williams is there. Hes not a left back. And Shaw can't play 7 games in 3 weeks.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So we should stop being ripped off when purchasing players, but we should also definitely get transfers done quickly by paying the asking price?

I don’t know why we don‘t just do the best of both worlds and pay under the asking price at the start of the window, it’s fecking stupid that we don’t. fecking hurry up wOOdwARd and JUdgE

Highfather_24

So we should stop being ripped off when purchasing players, but we should also definitely get transfers done quickly by paying the asking price?
Yes, like competently run clubs like Liverpool and Chelsea are doing right now in the market.

MUFC OK

We've been run like an absolute joke for at least decade now. Our struggles stem largely from the shit decision making of our board and managers.

Refusing to keep making shit decisions or to keep getting ripped off in the market is not the same thing.

You really need to learn the difference between what the media or agents are reporting and what is really going on.
A week on then, what is going on? We apparently offered a derogatory 10m Euros - still think we're doing a great job in these negotiations?

Daonico

Eh, give it a month or 2 when Shaw gets injured due to playing twice a week for a few weeks in a row, and then we're forced to play Brandon Williams at left back twice a week against the likes of Southampton away/Leipzig/West Ham away/PSG/City home (a very real possibility for 2 weeks between Sat Nov 28 and Sat Dec 12th). Coming out of international break we have:
  1. Newcastle away
  2. CL midweek
  3. Chelsea away
  4. CL midweek
  5. Arsenal home
  6. CL midweek
  7. Everton away
So the 3 CL games there will be Leipzig, PSG and Istanbul, in any order and unsure of home/away. Do you think Shaw will get through even that injury free? What opportunities will we get to rest him without severely dropping in quality when against a good team? Even Istanbul, whenever we play them, have Rafael and Visca on the right wing and will destroy our left flank if Williams is there. Hes not a left back. And Shaw can't play 7 games in 3 weeks.
hey, I understand your point and even share it, just a bit less emphasized. Who will play play is Martial gets injured? who will play if Rashford gets injured? who will play if AWB gets injured? or even our CBs, Maguire had to play every minute last season, will he do it again?
I understand that a LB is important, and would help with other problems (you could move williams as backup for AWB for example), but we are not more desperate for a LB than other positions.

The most important thing is that we need to take steps to improve the squad in every chance, and as we haven't done much so far, we are desperate to take this one.

I am not against what you say, maybe I am just not explaining myself correctly because English is not my first language, I don't know.

MUFC OK

hey, I understand your point and even share it, just a bit less emphasized. Who will play play is Martial gets injured? who will play if Rashford gets injured? who will play if AWB gets injured? or even our CBs, Maguire had to play every minute last season, will he do it again?
I understand that a LB is important, and would help with other problems (you could move williams as backup for AWB for example), but we are not more desperate for a LB than other positions.

The most important thing is that we need to take steps to improve the squad in every chance, and as we haven't done much so far, we are desperate to take this one.

I am not against what you say, maybe I am just not explaining myself correctly because English is not my first language, I don't know.
The Europa final and the poor performance of Williams shows why we need to strengthen here. Not to mention that we're stuck in the stoneage where it's acceptable for your fullbacks to contribute 4 assists collectively across a 50 odd game season.

This transfer is far more important than many on here would have you believe.

Highfather_24

Assuming we get Sancho(a RW) and a LB in :

Forwards : We will have Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood competing for 3 positions, with the likes of Mata, Ighalo and James as backup.

Midfield : We have Pogba, Bruno, Matic, VDB, Fred, McT for 3 positions.

Full back : Shaw, Telles, AWB, Williams for 2 positions.

CB : Maguire, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Mengi for 2 positions.

It will be a decent squad tbf.

diarm

A week on then, what is going on? We apparently offered a derogatory 10m Euros - still think we're doing a great job in these negotiations?
There you go with your "apparently's" again. You and I have no insight into these negotiations by which to determine what sort of a job we are doing one way or the other. If you can show me a quote where I've said we were doing a "great job" that would be great.

I'm frustrated at our board because the season is several weeks underway and we have not strengthened our squad back when we should have done. Not because of some nonsense written by a tabloid hack on twitter.

If it transpires that we missed out on Telles because we refused to be bullied by Porto for a player who has months left on his contract, that will be a million miles away from the things that make me most annoyed at our board.

thomas porter

Hopefully selling Smalling will give us the funds to get this over the line. Fingers crossed.

MUFC OK

There you go with your "apparently's" again. You and I have no insight into these negotiations by which to determine what sort of a job we are doing one way or the other. If you can show me a quote where I've said we were doing a "great job" that would be great.

I'm frustrated at our board because the season is several weeks underway and we have not strengthened our squad back when we should have done. Not because of some nonsense written by a tabloid hack on twitter.

If it transpires that we missed out on Telles because we refused to be bullied by Porto for a player who has months left on his contract, that will be a million miles away from the things that make me most annoyed at our board.
It's symptomatic of the utter failings of our board though. This is a player that ole wants, that is available for a reasonable fee and that we still are incapable or unwilling to do. My assertion is that the glazers do not want to spend a penny more on transfers this summer and I think I am correct.

That was sarcasm, you haven't explicitly said were doing a great job but you were sympathising with our negotiators on this particular deal. Negotiating a fee is fine but if the 10m bid is real (source is a portuguese media outlet, below) then that is an utter disgrace in my opinion, and leans more on the side of us making it impossible for a deal to be struck.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's symptomatic of the utter failings of our board though. This is a player that ole wants, that is available for a reasonable fee and that we still are incapable or unwilling to do. My assertion is that the glazers do not want to spend a penny more on transfers this summer and I think I am correct.

Just saying, if we've managed to bring them down €10m then they're obviously quite eager to do a deal, at this point you'd think about €12m-13m would get it done but we seem very reluctant. I don't think that's a bad price for someone who will likely end up as a starter.

prateik

Bloody hell. I would have thought that tweet shows our stance is justified and we have got the asking price down significantly.

And people are still finding reasons to complain.

MUFC OK

Bloody hell. I would have thought that tweet shows our stance is justified and we have got the asking price down significantly.

What, that after bringing the price down we're only willing to pay 10m? We don't want to do the deal or it would be done. They agree to 10m and we'd probably change our offer to 5m.

The fact there's 3 days left and we're no closer to the reinforcements we need is a reason to complain for me, sorry to say.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

I frankly don't know why you guys bother with some hysterical posters. Most of them people whining don't even care about the club doing the right thing or not, all they want to do is moan because for some reasons they get a kick out of bitching about the club.

diarm

Not agreeing to pay a fee just because another club is demanding it is not symptomatic of the failings of our board.

There are plenty of obvious failings - you don't need the histrionics and moaning based on nothing but hack journalism to create more.

That was sarcasm, you haven't explicitly said were doing a great job but you were sympathising with our negotiators on this particular deal. Negotiating a fee is fine but if the 10m bid is real (source is a portuguese media outlet, below) then that is an utter disgrace in my opinion, and leans more on the side of us making it impossible for a deal to be struck.
I'm not and was not sympathising with anyone. Have a look through my history and you'll find I am no fan of our board or owners. I'm simply saying basing your meltdown on what you're reading on twitter is a fools game. Disagree with me if you like, but posting more examples of Portuguese journalists to back up your argument is not going to change my mind.

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
I expect this to go through soon, we are apparently about to sign Ait-Nouri which will end any interest we have in Telles

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is a non essential luxury type signing, which is why our negotiating position is so strong.
We will get this one over the line on deadline day, which is fine.

MUFC OK

Not agreeing to pay a fee just because another club is demanding it is not symptomatic of the failings of our board.

There are plenty of obvious failings - you don't need the histrionics and moaning based on nothing but hack journalism to create more.

I'm not and was not sympathising with anyone. Have a look through my history and you'll find I am no fan of our board or owners. I'm simply saying basing your meltdown on what you're reading on twitter is a fools game. Disagree with me if you like, but posting more examples of Portuguese journalists to back up your argument is not going to change my mind.
If you're managing to feel relaxed about our dealings at this stage, I actually admire that. To me, 15m or so for a player that improves our squad depth is a deal that ought to have been done yesterday.

What’s the problem, if this tweet is to be believed (and who knows whether it has any truth, but let’s humour it as you posted it) then United have already negotiated €10m off Porto’s price, and now we are only €5m apart.

Now take the emotion out of things, and tell me what’s wrong with this approach?

DevilsOwn

What’s the problem, if this tweet is to be believed (and who knows whether it has any truth, but let’s humour it as you posted it) then United have already negotiated €10m off Porto’s price, and now we are only €5m apart.

Now take the emotion out of things, and tell me what’s wrong with this approach?
Nothing wrong, rather Brilliant, IF we get this over the line by Monday.

As things stand, emotions is all we have...

MUFC OK

The fact that the deal hasn't been done. I get the impression that it is completely dependant on the Smalling sale but obviously I am speculating. My issue is the lack of money being made available for transfers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

we are wasting time on a transfer that is pretty straight forward. Time that at this point should be spent bringing in a winger. Let's hope that no big club turns up for Telles with a decent fee as we're likely to end up looking like fools as we did many many times in the past few years. If I was Telles I'd show United the finger and then negotiate a good salary for myself as a free agent in January.

MUFC OK

we are wasting time on a transfer that is pretty straight forward. Time that at this point should be spent bringing in a winger. Let's hope that no big club turns up for Telles with a decent fee as we're likely to end up looking like fools as we did many many times in the past few years.
Top Reds on here are so quick to call out 'moaning, hysterics, emotions' - like we are supposed to sit here and applaud our ineptitude at getting deals over the line. Bolded part has been my concern all along.

red4ever 79

Probably the Sancho deal holding it up. If (big if) we end up paying £108m for Sancho I don't think we'll get Telles as well. If we get somebody like Dembele on loan then we'll just cough up for Telles too I reckon.
We are not buying Sancho. Give it up man. Telles and a loan signing. Then the window shuts and we announce the search for a director of football

diarm

If you're managing to feel relaxed about our dealings at this stage, I actually admire that. To me, 15m or so for a player that improves our squad depth is a deal that ought to have been done yesterday.
I think Telles would come in and start and immediately make our team about 20% better, just by offering genuine width and crossing ability.

I just also think our problems extend so much further than a single signing and I'm relaxed because I think there's no point in getting worked up because of bullshit tweets from hack journalists who don't know any more about the negotiations than I do.

We don't know that any of the figures being mentioned are anywhere close to the actual numbers being discussed. For all we know, Porto are demanding a much larger fee that if paid, would mean that we can't afford the fee needed to sign Sancho or an alternative.

If it transpires that another club signs Telles for £15m and we were fecking about over a couple of million, I will be right beside you throwing stones. Until then, save your blood pressure man. People were going ballistic about us not signing Reguilon in a similar vein, despite it later being clear that signing up for such a deal would make us Madrid ***** like Spurs.

devilish

Top Reds on here are so quick to call out 'moaning, hysterics, emotions' - like we are supposed to sit here and applaud our ineptitude at getting deals over the line. Bolded part has been my concern all along.

The more time we spend on a deal the more time his agent have to find other buyers. Its also kind of pisses the player off as he's being forced to stay at the club he wants to leave + he probably feels not appreciated by the club he intends to move to. It's one thing refusing to spend 25m on a player whose leaving on free and its another expecting it to get it on for virtually free. We call ourselves a big club, the biggest in the world. It's time we start acting like one.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We are not buying Sancho. Give it up man. Telles and a loan signing. Then the window shuts and we announce the search for a director of football
I don't think we are either. But until we sign an alternative the rumour wont go away though will it? I think it's looking likely we will get Dembele n Telles now. A lot cheaper than Sancho but not sure it will cut it for most fans.

MUFC OK

Assume that our current transfer budget is 0 pounds. Smalling sale enables Telles to join, and a loan signing obviously costs nothing besides wages. Your theory would seem to support the assumption.

The more time we spend on a deal the more time his agent have to find other buyers. Its also kind of pisses the player off as he's being forced to stay at the club he wants to leave + he probably feels not appreciated by the club he intends to move to. It's one thing refusing to spend 25m on a player whose leaving on free and its another expecting it to get it on for virtually free. We call ourselves a big club, the biggest in the world. It's time we start acting like one.
Again, adds weight to the theory that any future incomings are completely dependent on player sales. Probably also why selling James wouldnt be enough to bring in Sancho - hence the board blocking it. Reading between the lines, this is how I see it.

The Sancho 'bid' or interest could be a bluff. There were reports of a deal being agreed and Woodward going back in to negotiate it down. The 'we have money but won't be bullied' stance is a foil for no available transfer funds in my opinion, and one that generates more sympathy with fans.

Last edited:

devilish

Jeez, between this and Sancho, we really know how to make a gal feel special :lol:
Imagine Telles at the moment. He agreed to join us, he managed to persuade Porto to lower the fee for a couple of million euros only to know that United doesn't value him more then they valued Dalot.

red4ever 79

I don't think we are either. But until we sign an alternative the rumour wont go away though will it? I think it's looking likely we will get Dembele n Telles now. A lot cheaper than Sancho but not sure it will cut it for most fans.
Dembele has a terrible attitude and is injury prone. I reckon we will go for Josh King on loan which would sum our transfer window up in one word.

cyberman

If we sign a LB and a winger, we will have signed 7 players in a year. 8 if Ighalo is included.

we are wasting time on a transfer that is pretty straight forward. Time that at this point should be spent bringing in a winger. Let's hope that no big club turns up for Telles with a decent fee as we're likely to end up looking like fools as we did many many times in the past few years. If I was Telles I'd show United the finger and then negotiate a good salary for myself as a free agent in January.
If you were Telles, you would be informed of what’s happening. Why would you ‘show Utd the finger’ when it appears we have been negotiating for a pretty short period of time.

Of course he can potentially (and it is potentially) get a better contract as a free agent. But it’s a big risk (injury, loss of form, no interest, economic uncertainty) and also he would miss on the uplift in pay this month.

Unless your name is Messi, I imagine the vast majority of footballers would want. Good contract now, rather than wait to be a free agent next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.