Alexander Buttner | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Positionally horribly... very enthusiastic which I like and he is new in terms of experience but today wasn't one he will want to remember I would have thought..

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He's fecking terrible defensively, at least Evra shows some aptitude when he's somewhere near his own box.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Attacking=good. Defending=awful.

DevilRed

Pretty shit to be honest. You'd expect him to do a little better in a match where there is no pressure.

Wasn't helped when Scholes and Giggs came on. Its a fact that having those two in the same midfield makes us sievelike.

Nonetheless, might have been the sun in his eyes, might just be a bad day..but Buttner really looked below par for a Manchester United player. Well below par.

Ash_G

Yeah he's pretty poor defensively, and for all his confidence running with the ball he can take a while to control a ball in defensive areas which leads to him getting closed down a lot.

kundalini

Strange signing. I suppose he might make a decent back-up to Fabio eventually but he needs to put in a lot of work on his defending.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
God his defensive position and his defensive abilities are just so shit. He is kind of a liability when he plays left back. I think he should be employed as a left winger because he is good going forward.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Should be a winger. He's good at pressing and wining the ball quite high up the pitch, but his discipline at the back is poor. He's very good going forwards though. Really great finish for his goal too.

Leg-End

He might be a decent option for left midfield, hes not a left back though.

DevilRed

God his defensive position and his defensive abilities are just so shit. He is kind of a liability when he plays left back. I think he should be employed as a left winger because he is good going forward.
Never impressed me once this whole season. I mean he has been able to score the odd goal or two, but you can tell from his overall skillset and abilities that he is far from being the calibre of player we are used to.

I hope he is just starting off slow just like Evra/Vidic did at the beginning of their careers here.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think the criticism is a bit OTT. Our entire defense was a bit of a joke today and in the games recently before this, Buttner has been very solid defensively.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He either improves very quickly or will be shipped out soon. There is a reason why he only played 5 games and it is not just Evra

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think the criticism is a bit OTT. Our entire defense was a bit of a joke today and in the games recently before this, Buttner has been very solid defensively.
He's never had a clue, Vidic goes batshit mental when he plays next to him, he has tendency to just drift inside and not pay any attention.

Ekeke

Buttner has a habit of giving the ball away in his own half, sometimes like today on the edge of the box even although it wasnt all his fault as Evans hardly put him in a good position. The point is if you're a left back you don't give the ball away consistantly in your own half. Or you do and you dont get picked.

Took his goal well, really not sure why he wants to try and be flash every time he gets the ball as if he's Ronaldo but he does offer a good outlet and his delivery is decent in general. But at 24 he has a lot to learn and isnt as good a player as Fabio

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Buttner has a habit of giving the ball away in his own half, sometimes like today on the edge of the box even although it wasnt all his fault as Evans hardly put him in a good position. The point is if you're a left back you don't give the ball away consistantly in your own half. Or you do and you dont get picked.

Took his goal well, really not sure why he wants to try and be flash every time he gets the ball as if he's Ronaldo but he does offer a good outlet and his delivery is decent in general. But at 24 he has a lot to learn and isnt as good a player as Fabio
Numerous times I've said how baffled I am that we loaned out Fabio and bought Buttner. Yes, Buttner gets forward well but so do the Da Silva twins. Where was the logic in loaning out someone who was one of our better players in the 2011 Champions League final and buying someone who 6 months prior was nearly a Southampton player?

Had Buttner come through the ranks his lack of defensive ability would not be quite so galling. This is someone our scouts recommended we spend money on while loaning out a player who, I feel, has far greater potential as a player. Something went wrong there.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It might be a tad harsh criticising his poor defending today. I don't think he's done that poorly defensively at all in previous games. Today we just piled everyone forwards and tried to score as many as possible, so we were massively exposed by their counter attacks. We played the game today similar to how we play the last 10 minutes in important games where we are desperate for a goal.

He's a talented footballer, with alot of skill and confidence. He's always going to be a squad player I imagine. I don't think he's ever going to be as gung-ho as he was today, purely because today was practically an exhibition game by the looks of how it panned out, and how careless we were positionally.

I don't think it was a mistake to loan out Fabio. Fabio is still very young and developing, so he's gotten way more games at QPR than he would have gotten here. He could possibly be our a long term left back, so it was right to let him go get plenty of games and not stunt his development.

Ekeke

Numerous times I've said how baffled I am that we loaned out Fabio and bought Buttner. Yes, Buttner gets forward well but so do the Da Silva twins. Where was the logic in loaning out someone who was one of our better players in the 2011 Champions League final and buying someone who 6 months prior was nearly a Southampton player?

Had Buttner come through the ranks his lack of defensive ability would not be quite so galling. This is someone our scouts recommended we spend money on while loaning out a player who, I feel, has far greater potential as a player. Something went wrong there.
I still think we signed Buttner to cover for Fabio going on loan this season, with the idea that Fabio finally gets the first team football he needed. He did well at QPR and I'd be astonished if he wasnt clearly ahead of Buttner in the pecking order next season. However, now we have a new manager so who knows

Joemo

whistling in the wind
To be fair to him, he's come in after making 4 other league appearances to play in a makeshift defence in a formation that I've certainly never seen us use before. But my god he was shite defensively today.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hope he gets loaned to a PL club next season.
This. I hope we give Fabio a chance next season, and that chance hopefully is not 5 league games. I wish to see Fabio and Evra fighting for the spot of the left back while Buttner continue his basic education in a Premier League club (or championship).

Count Orduck

Wasn't Bale an atrociously shit left back first, too? Move Buttner further forward, I say. Worth a try, at least, because he's shocking in defence.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not

I've always thought the idea was basically to prepare Fabio for a regular spot in the first XI with a full season playing at the top level in his position, as opposed to slowly being worked in with the odd appearance at left back, right back and in midfield.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think he needs a loan. He needs more continuity training with the first team and getting more appearances in. His eye for goal obviously doesn't need much improving. Another couple of years with Evra, getting Fabio back, gives Moyes plenty of options to bring him along without any pressure and possibly experiment with him in different roles.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's supposed to be a left back, his goalscoring ability should be no more than a bonus and at the minute it's basically his only asset. I've not been convinced by him since the beginning and I'm still not. This is a player who was offered to Polish clubs a mere year before his transfer to United and after scouting him none of them wanted to sign him for €400k.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He isn't good enough for Manchester United or really even close to being. There is no point in persisting with him.

OJKernow

I certainly don't think it was a mistake getting Buttner in and loaning Fabio out. As others have mentioned, it was important for Fabio to play regular Premier League football this season. Had we kept him with us and only given him the 5 games that Buttner had then it would have stunted his development.

Evra has had a very good season off the back of a couple of relatively poor ones (by his standards) but it was important to make sure we had cover for him at the club.

I like the idea of possibly experimenting with him at left wing considering how poor our wingers have been this season. I expect Buttner will be a solid squad player who can offer us an option at left back or left wing when needed and I'm sure Fabio is still at the front of the queue to take over when Evra starts to decline.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Never been convinced with him defensively. His best attributes have come from attacking. He has shown to be a good dribbler, good crosser, gets forward well yet he gets skinned more than Evra on a bad day, and looks lost positionally. Maybe he is best suited to playing the wing in a squad role, I mean he has ended the season with more league goals than all of our wingers, otherwise I don't see any place for him here. Fabio is coming back, and I don't think Buttner is anywhere near Fabio's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.