Alexander Buttner | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laphroaig

After all the Irwin years SAF has decided that we'll only have complete mentalists for LB in the future.

Devil may care

Plays with plenty of energy and bite, he's still rough around the edges and a bit rash but he had a good game overall today and was probably our best attacking outlet.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
In his few displays, he's improved game by game defensively and consistently outperforms any winger on the pitch.

Seems a good find and must be doing well in training because he's really come on. Impressive today.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
No it's not. Wigan were beyond abject and he still managed to look shaky defensively.
Wigan's weaknesses lie with their own defence, but when they have the ball, they are a very good team tactically. They play a very assertive style of football and have good, pacey attackers. I reckon the current Wigan team would probably be going a fair good job in the Eriedivisie.

For his first taste of playing infront of 75,000 at Old Trafford in arguably the best league available to him, Buttner certainly did an astute job. He's older, but I think he looks better defensively than Rafael did in his first season, but Rafael was exposed to this level earlier than Buttner was.

Alot is made of how shaky he looks at the back, but I wouldn't feel that worried about him playing in a big game, such as Chelsea on Monday or the derby next week. Evra is not exactly a brickwall himself. I believe he would cope just fine.

Amir

The one thing you couldn't help but notice is that he has yet to catch the Manchester United bug of 'it's 1-0, second half, we don't need to attack anymore'.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The one thing you couldn't help but notice is that he has yet to catch the Manchester United bug of 'it's 1-0, second half, we don't need to attack anymore'.
That'll be ironed out of him in due course.

beergod

If we can improve him defensively, he will be one hell of a player for us. He seems tailor made for breaking down defenses that want to defend deep against us.

Don't forget how bad Evra was defensively his first few months with us and he had a far better pedigree than Buttner.

Cevno

He's looked shaky defensively even for the U21's tbh. Hopefully he builds on this though.

Shark

@NotShark
He's looked shaky defensively even for the U21's tbh. Hopefully he builds on this though.
I don't see why he can't. I highly doubt that we would have invested in him if we didn't think that he'd improve. At still only 24 years old, there's plenty of time for it too.

gza the genius

There were quite a few times in the second half when he would burst forward and just not bother whatsoever to get back. Other than that he was pretty good.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
What we can get from his few first-team appearances is that he's good enough for a back-up. That probably was the most important thing so it's a positive to begin with. Now the question is can he morph into a regular for such huge a side. If not, he should still make a perfect squad player, should he and us agree to it.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Good going forward today, good game from him.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Played with plenty of energy and not afraid to take the ball forward. Though today is the type of game that suits him, very little defensively that he had to actually do and an opposition that never looked up for the game. Showed today that he wants to impress which is good.

I'm still not convinced at all on him defensively. To often you see him isolated with a player in his back in the corner trying to dribble his way free. Needs to cut that out

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
After his last game he was "pointless" etc etc. Why don't people just give players a chance?

AttackingFlair

Should've scored when he fortunately got through on goal, don't know what he was trying to do there

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
To be fair, he was fine going forward. However, it will be one of the easiest games he'll play. I'm not sure a player ever tried to make a run past him until well into the second half.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
To be fair, he was fine going forward. However, it will be one of the easiest games he'll play. I'm not sure a player ever tried to make a run past him until well into the second half.
I'm not sure that's true (one of the easiest game he will play). We were under the cosh for a large period of the 2nd half and he kept Johnson quiet enough to get substituted.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I would love to see him play as a winger for one game. Think he and Evra will do well together. He has a fantastic shot on him, from watching footage of his time at Vitesse.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure that's true (one of the easiest game he will play). We were under the cosh for a large period of the 2nd half and he kept Johnson quiet enough to get substituted.
Johnson was not always playing on his side. IIRC he was drifing.

Platato

Psst!
After his last game he was "pointless" etc etc. Why don't people just give players a chance?
If you don't like the player, you have a hard time giving them much leeway. My general impression of fans these days.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
feel sorry for him this year, surely fergie could of gotten him more games.

Brophs

The One and Only
feel sorry for him this year, surely fergie could of gotten him more games.
The problem is that the season before Fabio couldn't dislodge Evra at all, to the point where Evra was utterly fecked at the end of the season. We brought in Buttner who, IMO, is a worse player than Fabio and he's found it even tougher, especially as Evra's own form has been better. Personally I'd like to have seen him start a few more of the 'easier' home games, but when he has played he hasn't looked all that great, so it's hard to take that leap of faith.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He's been ok, but there's been times when we could of brought him on as a sub, just to get him the medal.

Cevno

Evra is like a super human athlete. Tough for any backup to get games.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I like Buttner. What he lacks in reliability, he makes up for in pure entertainment. Stepovers in your own final third? Check. Nutmeg passes and 30 yard smashes? Double check. Scoring on your debut? Superstar.

Young's out for the season and Nani is Nani, who may well not play again. Give him a bash on the left wing in some of the remaining games. He's got the trickery and control to have a go at any defender. I think he could do a job there.

Cevno

He started at LW. If he was that good you would imagine he wouldn't have shifted to LB.

Count Orduck

Another dreadful performance from him. I'm pretty sure he was directly involved in making mistakes for all of the last three West Brom goals :lol:

Dear God I hope Fabio comes back in a fit shape to challenge Evra!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Decent going forward but complete cat piss defensively. As we thought when we signed him.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
The defensive side of his game has always been piss poor. Sign Baines sell Buttner.

Status
Not open for further replies.