Alexander Buttner | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

Both May and Berg had their good periods for us. Buttner just... wasn't a real defender, more like a trainee defender.

red_7

defensively to weak but as far as I can say a great character. Wish him all the best in moscow and hope our future post Evra will be Shaw and Blind as back up (Blind to be our new O'Shea with his versatility).

m1y2

so glad he will be gone, the worst defender I witnessed playing at OT for a long time... he had determination and aggresion but not quite the ability. Maybe sir alex thought he could make another bargain him turning into another evra in the best case scenario and it didnt work out. but he wasnt particulary a bad buy as a cover he served well.

to be fair I hated him a lot for his incopetence at times but he deserves some lower tier club where he can play and flourish one day into possibly at least average defender

Kag

Henning Berg, David May? This lad wasnt even given a proper shot.
Both better from my very vague and youthful recollection, but if you can remember them defending as badly as Buttner then fair enough, I won't dispute it. He wasn't given a shot because he couldn't be trusted. It isn't as if we wouldn't have wanted to give Evra some time off here and there.

Suus

Both better from my very vague and youthful recollection, but if you can remember them defending as badly as Buttner then fair enough, I won't dispute it. He wasn't given a shot because he couldn't be trusted. It isn't as if we wouldn't have wanted to give Evra some time off here and there.
Couldnt be trusted? Im pretty sure he was trusted to the left-back position just upto the Munich games and played very well. And lets be frank here - he wouldnt have been bought if someone didnt see potential. The problem with both Ferguson and Moyes is that names at times have mattered more than actual performance - Evra have been shoddy this entire season in his defensive record, yet he was never relinquished of his position - this must tell people something.

It's the same problem with England now and in the past. 'Bigger names' such as Lampard and Gerrard was given spots, even though they hardly ever performed, ahead of other players, such as Barry, Carrick, Scholes, who have often been shunted to play off-position or hardly at all - because the 'GREAT ENGLISH HOPE' needs to accomodate both players in the starting lineup. Bollocks. I cant wait for both of them to retire and England can finally move forward. Too bad both Barry, Scholes and Carrick have also retired when that happens.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It was fun while it lasted.

One of them weird transfers that you'll never really understand. But at least he can remember that debut! It was Wigan but it was memorable for all the right reasons. The close-up of Evra's face was a highlight.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Couldnt be trusted? Im pretty sure he was trusted to the left-back position just upto the Munich games and played very well. And lets be frank here - he wouldnt have been bought if someone didnt see potential. The problem with both Ferguson and Moyes is that names at times have mattered more than actual performance - Evra have been shoddy this entire season in his defensive record, yet he was never relinquished of his position - this must tell people something.

It's the same problem with England now and in the past. 'Bigger names' such as Lampard and Gerrard was given spots, even though they hardly ever performed, ahead of other players, such as Barry, Carrick, Scholes, who have often been shunted to play off-position or hardly at all - because the 'GREAT ENGLISH HOPE' needs to accomodate both players in the starting lineup. Bollocks. I cant wait for both of them to retire and England can finally move forward. Too bad both Barry, Scholes and Carrick have also retired when that happens.
Shunting one of the greatest midfielders of a generation out wide to accommodate lesser midfielders....

Only in England....

Boycott

Worst defender SAF ever bought?

Bollocks. He was a low risk signing. Showed fantastic fight when playing - even though as a player he was not good enough to remain in the long term I liked him. Defensively raw, but the Bayern game was a testament to his spirit because everyone thought he'd get ripped apart but he kept going and kept Robben very quiet. Offensively he was a good option because he has an exuberance to run at opponents and not be contained to his limitations. Good enough for the PL? Yes, which is why I'm surprised he's heading to Russia.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Bollocks. He was a low risk signing. Showed fantastic fight when playing - even though as a player he was not good enough to remain in the long term I liked him. Defensively raw, but the Bayern game was a testament to his spirit because everyone thought he'd get ripped apart but he kept going and kept Robben very quiet. Offensively he was a good option because he has an exuberance to run at opponents and not be contained to his limitations. Good enough for the PL? Yes, which is why I'm surprised he's heading to Russia.
Agree 100%. Not the ideal signing but he did try. Good luck to him at his next club.

RedBistro

I like the guy, always put in the effort and had some great moments going forward, looked like he loved playing for us.

Hope does well wherever he ends up.

Kag

You're off on a tangent a little here. Buttner played that match because Evra was suspended, that's it. You speak as if Moyes came up with some magnificent plan to release Buttner into the wild against mighty Bayern, showing a huge show of faith. Buttner has barely played 20 matches in two full seasons, despite Evra flagging. This is because he isn't very good and neither Ferguson or Moyes trusted him to play in place of Evra for any period of time, seldom even one match. He wasn't even what we call a squad player. I agree with your second paragraph, I just don't think it's relevant here.

Kag

Again, who is disagreeing with your second para? When you consider that Ferguson's record when it comes to buying defenders was phenomenal, it isn't even a hugely terrible thing to suggest Buttner was his worst defensive purchase. If people think that May and Berg were worse then fair enough, but we haven't bought one defender since the turn of the millennium that has been as poor defensively as Buttner, I know that for certain.

VII

Voted MOTM 14 times?

By his mum?

You guys mentioning Henning Berg's name are crazy. Go watch the Inter games from the Treble season.

Last edited:

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Wow wow wow!!!

Hang on a second here....

What fool said he is better for us then Berg and May were?!?!

I'm all in favour of not insulting posters but, what?!?!??!!?!

Lane

I think it should read that Buttner was MOTM 14 times for Vitesse in Eredivisie and still LVG did not call him to the national team during that time.

Zii

I don't see why people are wanting to get rid of him, I think he is decent.

RuudTom83

hmmmm very interesting development.

I have very little faith in Woody, but the 'deals might have already been agreed behind closed doors' brigade might be smiling a little brighter now that Büttner is packing his bags. No way would United sell a LB unless a new signing was secured, or very close to being.

ManUArfa

I understood it that he was a left winger converting to the modern left back role. He had a tendency to get us caught offside which is not surprising given the conversion of position. Always liked him going forward, he was a great tackler and he had lots of energy to get up and down.

Shame it didn't work out for him here but good luck nonetheless

Amir

I think it should read that Buttner was MOTM 14 times for Vitesse in Eredivisie and still LVG did not call him to the national team during that time.
Van Gaal didn't coach Holland during that time... Only for the past two years.

JefferiesTube

Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, Buttner, Macheda. Squad of 32 senior players now (started with 37), gradually getting to have leaner more efficient squad. Still need a dozen more added to that list so we can start the season in good shape.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
"Van Gaal never gave me the chance in the Dutch national team, despite being voted man of the match 14 times at Manchester United"

I think that he is talking about reserves, actually - or maybe he just isn't good with math.

Revan

Assumptionman
He isn't decent. He is terrible. One good game against Bayern (when he anyway had a lot of help from Welbeck) doesn't make him any less terrible than he is.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He isn't terrible. He's probably not quite good enough for United, but that doesn't immediately make a footballer terrible. I don't mind him being a back up, but he won't be required if we bring in Luke Shaw, as Evra will be a back up.

A bit unfair to discredit his solid performance against Bayern because Welbeck helped him. Of course the left midfielder is going to track back. You've seen what happens when they don't track. Baines got twatted by Italy because he had no support.

kundalini

I tend to agree. He's made mistakes yet he has created and scored goals. With such a small data set of appearances, it is difficult to know if the good would outweigh the bad had he featured more often. Against Liverpool in the League Cup and Bayern in the CL his defensive play was fine. In other matches he has looked clueless. He has shown he is capable of putting in some superb crosses, and a few shockers too.

I can understand him wanting to leave now it is clear that United intend to buy Evra's long term replacement. I'm guessing Buttner was under the impression he would compete with Fabio for the role.

Lane

Van Gaal didn't coach Holland during that time... Only for the past two years.
Then i don't know. Myabe he was talking about appearances. Somehow i don't think he is that inept to believe he actually got 14 MOTM as United's player. Probably just poor language skills.

Zii

He isn't decent. He is terrible. One good game against Bayern (when he anyway had a lot of help from Welbeck) doesn't make him any less terrible than he is.
I should clarify that he isn't world class, but I think he can be very good, he is very attacking as shown by his debut and even though you take the performance anyway from him, he did VERY well against Bayern. If that was Shaw putting in that performance you wouldn't be giving all the praise to their winger. That was after not playing much, I think with game time he can be at least a very good backup.

Revan

Assumptionman
I should clarify that he isn't world class, but I think he can be very good, he is very attacking as shown by his debut and even though you take the performance anyway from him, he did VERY well against Bayern. If that was Shaw putting in that performance you wouldn't be giving all the praise to their winger. That was after not playing much, I think with game time he can be at least a very good backup.
Of course he isn't world class, no-one is saying that. My point is that he isn't decent, he isn't even average. He wouldn't be a starter in most of the EPL teams and he certainly isn't good enough to be a backup here. He is terrible, on the level of Bebe, Djemba Djemba, Young etc.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He'd be 26 next season and Reece James in our reserves; towards the end of last season, started looking better than him. Exactly how much more time should we have given him ?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's a decent player and played his socks off in that Bayern match. He probably will never make it here, but he hasn't been that bad for us.

Jammydodger7

Anyone know the fee? With us signing Shaw, which I think is a done deal, then there was no way we needed a third choice LB, he had to go unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.