Alexander Buttner | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

He isnt half as bad as some of you are making him out to be. Good cover for Evra.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
He isnt half as bad as some of you are making him out to be. Good cover for Evra.
He really is when you consider what team he plays for. He's nowhere near united quality IMO. I personally don't even feel that he's PL quality.

SecondFig

Moyes is hell bent on having 3 left backs, isn't he? Unless he's considering Fabio to be a right back. If so, give the curly headed cnut a game.
After the last few games I'd prefer to see Fabio playing RB than Jones - nothing against Jones defensively, but he offers so little going forwards

Godfather

He's shambolic defensively.

Evra was as well when he came here. Give the lad some time ffs. He had his defensive errors no dout, but going forward he's pretty good. Also he's rapid and strong as feck. Positional discipline will come.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Evra was nowhere near as bad and had played in a CL final. Buttner is a winger and absolutely shite defensively.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What if moyes moves him up to the wing, thats what the whispers were when coentrao was joining, thats what moyes was gonna do it patrice apparently. Buttner was going on loan so now we've kept him so does anyone think he'll move up?

psychdelicblues

What if moyes moves him up to the wing, thats what the whispers were when coentrao was joining, thats what moyes was gonna do it patrice apparently. Buttner was going on loan so now we've kept him so does anyone think he'll move up?
Hope not. I'd rather see Nani, Welbeck, Kagawa or Januzaj play there before Buttner.

Amir

Moyes is hell bent on having 3 left backs, isn't he? Unless he's considering Fabio to be a right back. If so, give the curly headed cnut a game.
One of the articles 'explaining' or summer business said Moyes is fearful Evra won't last 50 games at the highest level a season (I know he has before, but he is getting older). He obviously wanted another quality proven left back. We didn't get it, so if not quality maybe he'll settle for quantity, at least until January.

I still can't see Buttner getting a new deal, though!

Hellboy

He's garbage, don't understand this new contract thing. He doesn't deserve a new contract and should be sold asap. I think we'll sign Coentrao in January in order to ease the pressure on Evra.

twitter thread suggester
I do reckon he is very important for the team spirit though. He's RvP's best mate at the club and judged by Rio's video diary, he gets on really well with all the young lads as well.

But yes, he's a bit crap at the whole defending stuff.

Sam

I love the lad in a 'he's absolutely bat shit mental, not that good, but completely lovable, so it doesn't really matter' sort of a way.

But a new contract would be crazy.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He signed on a 5 year contract though, didn't he? He's only been here a year. Is a it meant to be as a financial arm around the shoulder to make him feel loved? I'm sure he's still earning decent money.

Varun

Staff
Evra was as well when he came here. Give the lad some time ffs. He had his defensive errors no dout, but going forward he's pretty good. Also he's rapid and strong as feck. Positional discipline will come.
Did I say we should boot him out of the club? My response was to you saying he isnt as bad as people here make it out to be which is just wrong. At the moment, he isnt good enough for us, not even when filling in for Evra. He either needs a loan move to a lower level club where the focus will be on the defensive side for a full back or he needs to improve via our coaches.

In the string of games he's playing regularly for the club showing just howshit he is. I agree.
:rolleyes:

Are you saying we should give him a run of games even though he clearly isnt good enough atm? When he's played, he's been poor defensively. Unless he improves, we cant keep playing him just because games might improve his defensive game. That needs to come either via training or through a loan move. As things stand, I wouldnt even trust him as cover for Evra.

Revan

Assumptionman
fecking hell, I don't get why United are giving him a new contract. Seriously I think that he's almost as bad as Bebe, Miller and Djemba twins.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Maybe the coaches see something in him we don't? Maybe Moyes likes the fact he's good going forward and wants to work on improving his defensive skills.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I'm assuming that the coaches see him as a left footed winger, which we're in dire need of. Januzaj is more of an inside forward, before people mention him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yeah I don't understand why he's isn't playing as a winger. He's exciting and very direct going forward but his defending can be painful to watch.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Are you saying we should give him a run of games even though he clearly isnt good enough atm? When he's played, he's been poor defensively. Unless he improves, we cant keep playing him just because games might improve his defensive game. That needs to come either via training or through a loan move. As things stand, I wouldnt even trust him as cover for Evra.
Evra is first choice and hasn't missed many games in the last 4 years. So yeah, he'd not really get games right now because of that.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I really can't understand why did we stick with him being Evra's backup this year, when it's clear he is nowhere near good enough, even for backup. Fabio is much better option IMO, but it looks like Moyes isn't fan of a) Fabio, or b) right footed leftback.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I have been very critical of Buttner. However, fair play to him, I thought he was good tonight and more importanty, far better defensively. In saying that, this one game doesn't change my opinion that I think Fabio is a far better option.

I still think Buttner is all show, little product going forward. A very good game for him though and definite improvement.

Genius Me!

He was better tonight, but still so many negatives for me to take out of it. I hope Moyes gets rid next season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He gets very excessive criticism from our fans, and isn't half as bas as is implied.

Hellboy

He gets very excessive criticism from our fans, and isn't half as bas as is implied.

He's all over the place defensively. Every single good opportunity for them came from his side, and Evans had to cover his arse a lot. Get rid asap, or a loan at the very least.

Plus he offered next to nothing offensively, too many bad decisions, he doesn't look good enough at all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was better tonight, but still so many negatives for me to take out of it. I hope Moyes gets rid next season.
There were barely any I thought. He got caught under the ball once, and a bit slopy in possession a handful of times (though a fair few were guilty of that).

Honestly thought it was his most confident and assured performance in a United shirt. Didn't look out of place in the slightest... so yeah good performance from him and far far more positives then negatives to take away from it.

Genius Me!

He's also not half as good as what's needed at our club. Ironically he was better defensively today than normal and not as good offensively.

Genius Me!

There were barely any I thought. He got caught under the ball once, and a bit slopy in possession a handful of times (though a fair few were guilty of that).

Honestly thought it was his most confident and assured performance in a United shirt. Didn't look out of place in the slightest... so yeah good performance from him and far far more positives then negatives to take away from it.
I felt he was poor going forward to be honest and wasn't making the right decisions. One instance for example was when Rooney was next to him for an easy pass, instead he decided to do a 180 and ran into the Liverpool defence.

So many other times instead of moving quicker, he just does all these step overs. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people doing step overs, but they're only effective if you're trying to to do a change of turn or make a quick run, his seem more for show and it just slows down play.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I felt he was poor going forward to be honest and wasn't making the right decisions. One instance for example was when Rooney was next to him for an easy pass, instead he decided to do a 180 and ran into the Liverpool defence.

So many other times instead of moving quicker, he just does all these step overs. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people doing step overs, but they're only effective if you're trying to to do a change of turn or make a quick run, his seem more for show and it just slows down play.
To be fair, Kags and Nani were guilty of doing similar once or twice... in fact, the only one of our wide players who never slowed down play was Rafael, who I think was playing the game whilst on speed.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He really wasn't.
Nah he was, me and the lads around me in the ground were all saying we were rather surprised by his performance. I'd say you're just looking for criticism because we a) expect it and b) it's an easy target.

binary bot
The fact he was up against Henderson helped, but even Henderson ran in behind from a lofted ball early on. I love his effort, he certainly has a lot of it and isn't afraid to put himself about but he simply is far from good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.