Alexis Mac Allister | Liverpool watch

jem

Most Irish families wouldn't have had a formal surname until relatively recently (last 150 years), most people had a given name and then a patronymic name consisting of Mac/Nic (male/female) + their father's name.

When the British started taking censuses and asking for surnames, the man of the house would give his, and as far as the British state was concerned, British naming customs applied. Whatever name the father gave would stick as that family's name in perpetuity and be passed down instead of updating. It also wiped out the female form of the patronymic names (Nic for Mac and Ní for Ó/Uí) as in British custom daughters also get the father's exact surname.

The Ó/Uí thing historically was generally reserved for nobility who could (or wanted to) trace their lineage back to a famous ancestor, or to people who had lived in a certain area for a very long time. For example the Uí Néill traced their lineage back to Niall of the Nine Hostages and used the Ó/Uí/Ní form to show it off.
That is very fascinating. Cheers!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Only if we agree to split the 9% with us in recognition of his shared Scottish and Irish ancestry. I mean this bloke must have Scottish blood coursing through his veins.

:lol: Feck off! If he (Alexis) missed a penalty yesterday he’d be 100% Irish.

lex talionis

İn Turkish "doğan" means "born from", and "oğlu"or "oğlan" means "son". I'm half Turkish.
Fascinating. Are you familiar with Hedo Türkoğlu, the former basketball player for the Sacramento Kings? He had a massive impact on the team during its glorious run in the early 2000s.

HILLSIDE

Fascinating. Are you familiar with Hedo Türkoğlu, the former basketball player for the Sacramento Kings? He had a massive impact on the team during its glorious run in the early 2000s.
No sadly I'm not (but will do some research on him now). His surname roughly translates to "son of a Turk"!

reelworld

I'm weirdly fascinated with Hedo. Like homeless version of Jokic, without the rebounding and defense

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Hahahaha. But that's just a mistranslation.

Vamos carajo = Let's fecking go.
Thought it might be a mistranslation from auto translate. A weird one for social media when you can just say it to them in person

alexo1505

Supports
Barcelona
cannot post media but Mac Alllisters return to brighton was pretty awesome.

OmarUnited4ever

I think we should consider him if De Jong is not attainable, he could be excellent alongside Cas, let's see how he performs for the rest of the season.

OmarUnited4ever

Would rather get him rather than Enzo. But he will surely cost absurd money.
Enzo, De Jong and Bellingham are all great players and will cost an arm and a leg, so is any quality CM player who is contracted to his current club on a long term, so the question is, is Mac-Allister good enough to play and help us to compete for trophies, if the answer is yes, then we just pay what BHA deem acceptable.

meamth

Enzo, De Jong and Bellingham are all great players and will cost an arm and a leg, so is any quality CM player who is contracted to his current club on a long term, so the question is, is Mac-Allister good enough to play and help us to compete for trophies, if the answer is yes, then we just pay what BHA deem acceptable.
Yeah, my reasoning is I would rather spend 100m euros on a top quality striker rather than a top quality cm next season. Priorities, unless we got a super rich owner.

Which I think we will get.

Blood Mage

It's difficult to tell just how good any of these Brighton players actually are individually because their system is so good. Will Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard etc. look as good once you've taken them out of Brighton's system? I'm not so sure, look at how poor Cucurella has been for Chelsea.

phelans shorts

It's difficult to tell just how good any of these Brighton players actually are individually because their system is so good. Will Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard etc. look as good once you've taken them out of Brighton's system? I'm not so sure, look at how poor Cucurella has been for Chelsea.
Given how Mac Allister played at the World Cup we can definitely remove his question mark

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Yeah I think the World Cup performances is the answer here. I don't think anyone can question his technical ability.

Chief123

Happy they are going for that level of player rather than the top drawer. He’s good but his status is being elevated because he’s a World Cup winner.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's really good, but for the likely high price, I'd be happy to skip on him. If the reported price for Maddison is accurate, I'd be more interested in exploring that option.

Caicedo is the midfielder to be plucking from this Brighton side. He elevates the levels of everyone around him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
MEN stated United already held talks back in March, seems like quite comfortable situation for Ten Hag in having more than one option to choose from in the summer.

Won't even take it with pinch of salt, because this sounds actually realistic option opposed to wait for Frenkie... and as for price problem, just look at Grealish deal, or Maddison's upcoming move, how much it will cost.

Take the relatively young player with winning WC experience now or take risk and try finding someone substantially better, very likely for also elevated price, perhaps even higher.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's okay, nothing spectacular but would be good for Liverpool - assuming they bring in two other midfielders to play alongside him.

padzilla

Hipster
I wouldn't judge him on the World Cup as international football is a step down from top level club football.

His performances week in, week out for Brighton would be the key for me. My hunch is he would be a useful addition about the same level as Sabitzer but he wouldn't be someone we could expect to usurp Casemiro, Eriksen or Bruno in the midfield 3.

Blood Mage

Suits Liverpool's system very well sadly I think he will be a success there. For me we need a different type of midfielder, a more controlling presence like De Jong or Kroos.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I wouldn't judge him on the World Cup as international football is a step down from top level club football.

His performances week in, week out for Brighton would be the key for me. My hunch is he would be a useful addition about the same level as Sabitzer but he wouldn't be someone we could expect to usurp Casemiro, Eriksen or Bruno in the midfield 3.
Case's & Eriksen's best years are behind. If club have some better midfielders in mind, it would be a good time to hurry and get the players before others will.