Alexis Mac Allister | Moves to Liverpool for 35m according to Romano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannn411

That's absolutely ridiculous we were not in at that price. Ridiculous.

El-Manos

We have no clue do we ? For that price we should have 100% tried to get him. Massive upgrade on the likes of Fred/mctom

Gumshoe

Supports
Avro FC
What sort of idiots put a 35 mill release clause in a contract? And what sort of idiots dont bid for him at 35 mill!
He would have been out of contract at the end of this month had Brighton not negotiated a new deal back in October. Mac Allister and his agent would have had the leverage to negotiate a reasonable release fee or else walk for free this summer. Still really good business for Brighton managing to get him to sign a new deal in order to get a fee rather than lose him for nothing, especially since they only paid £8mil for him anyway, so it’s a hefty profit.

Last edited:

saik

BBC reporting it as £55m as well. I'll believe that figure.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's probably 35m upfront and more later on. 35m all in seems way too cheap

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Let's not pretend this is some transformative signing for Liverpool. He's nothing more than a steady squad option. He would not be a guaranteed starter for any of the top three clubs. The Athletic are reporting the fee as over £45m, which is a fair fee if McTominay is going for roughly £35m.

ShinjiNinja26

A good signing no doubt, a bit of a sideways step though going from one Europa League club to another. I thought he could’ve got himself a move to one of the big boys in the CL after the season Brighton had and Argentina winning the World Cup.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Good deal. Lidl Modric is a good player. But I feel Mount is rather what Liverpool need while Lidl Modric would have worked better for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really don’t know what this Modric stuff is about. He doesn’t glide about dancing around challenges whilst oozing sexiness on the ball like Modric and Iniesta used to. From what I’ve seen he’s more Arteta if anything - need and tidy, good passer, intelligent but nothing about him is particularly exceptional. The price quoted (35m) is good and the price also quoted (55m) is a probably about right or maybe a tad high.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I find it hard to believe Brighton would agree terms on a 35m release clause when they renewed terms in October 2022 :lol:

Abraxas

I find it hard to believe Brighton would agree terms on a 35m release clause when they renewed terms in October 2022 :lol:
If it's 35 million or the player is not signing then it's 35 million really isn't it? Brighton didn't have a lot of leverage in that situation.

I'm not saying it is 35 because I don't know but the point is Brighton were really just covering their ass at that point and McAllister would have probably only wanted to sign a deal with a lot of scope for him to leave.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If it's 35 million or the player is not signing then it's 35 million really isn't it? Brighton didn't have a lot of leverage in that situation.

I'm not saying it is 35 because I don't know but the point is Brighton were really just covering their ass at that point and McAllister would have probably only wanted to sign a deal with a lot of scope for him to leave.
I mean under their structure it literally appears they don't particularly give a shit and have the next one lined up anyway.

But as usual, Liverpool appear to have bagged another incredibly reasonable deal.

Abraxas

I mean under their structure it literally appears they don't particularly give a shit and have the next one lined up anyway.

But as usual, Liverpool appear to have bagged another incredibly reasonable deal.
I'm sure they probably do care about the potential to bring in money for their star players. That's kind of the model as well. But the players obviously have different agenda's for their career and they got into a sticky situation with McAllister where it probably wasn't the ideal contract or agreement they would like to have.

It's alright having this fantastic scouting network and analytics but you do need to be able to continually make a profit on players to reinvest and ensure the club remains financially healthy, and also potentially get to the next level by taking that money and spreading it around.

If you're just losing them on frees or breaking even on the time you spent identifying and investing in the playing time of these players before they're quite so good, eventually you are probably going to head backwards through standing still. It only takes getting a few wrong and you've created a system with little margin for error without that cash surplus.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's not pretend this is some transformative signing for Liverpool. He's nothing more than a steady squad option. He would not be a guaranteed starter for any of the top three clubs. The Athletic are reporting the fee as over £45m, which is a fair fee if McTominay is going for roughly £35m.
Exactly. We saw such pathetic weeping when they signed Thiago, and in hindsight no-one is crying now.
And he's a fair level above quality wise.

Red Star One

I'm sure they probably do care about the potential to bring in money for their star players. That's kind of the model as well. But the players obviously have different agenda's for their career and they got into a sticky situation with McAllister where it probably wasn't the ideal contract or agreement they would like to have.

It's alright having this fantastic scouting network and analytics but you do need to be able to continually make a profit on players to reinvest and ensure the club remains financially healthy, and also potentially get to the next level by taking that money and spreading it around.

If you're just losing them on frees or breaking even on the time you spent identifying and investing in the playing time of these players before they're quite so good, eventually you are probably going to head backwards through standing still. It only takes getting a few wrong and you've created a system with little margin for error without that cash surplus.
Sounds like a pitch given to Woodward when he agreed to pay 80m for Maguire

scottser

mcallister for 35m will be the best bit of transfer business done this summer.

Abraxas

Sounds like a pitch given to Woodward when he agreed to pay 80m for Maguire
:lol:

To be fair I'm not sure Brighton have done anyone quite as badly as Leicester had us there. Arguably Cucurella, I guess. He's pretty poor.

Woodzy

Good deal but ultimately not everyone wants to join us and we can’t sign everybody.

As long as we do good business ourselves who gives a feck.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He will probably do well for Liverpool but I can’t see past an Argentinian version of Henderson.
not sure he would have improved is that much

Halftrack

On what basis are you saying we weren’t in for him?
People seem to forget that clubs can and will get in touch with agents to sound out a player's interest in a move, and just assume that if we'd made a bid and offered him a contract, we'd have gotten him instead.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Good. Hes not a player that makes your team take the leap and surpass citeh. Hes at best midtable material

Eplel

I don't see what's all the fuss is about? He's part of a well oiled machine, but his numbers are quite unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.