Alisson Becker

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's amazing, I doubt even Roma fans think he's that good, but numpties here already know he's the best in the world
I think it's only 1 Liverpool fan who think that.

By next season he will be the best ever.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I've not seen one Liverpool fan on here overrating him. It's just two extremes between people thinking he's world class (which he isn't) and people aka TheReligion who think he's bang average, which he isn't either.

I'm betting that apart from Giorno and maybe one or two others, no one in this thread has seen more than 5 games from Alisson last year. I even saw someone commeting "why don't they go for Pope or Heaton, PL proven and excellent shot stoppers", like wtf? If it was the other way around, they'd be ridiculing us as well "why are they going for the likes of Pope and Heaton when Alisson is available who's just had a superb season at Roma".

There are barely any sensible comments in this thread, it's like you have to pick one of two extremes - be all in on him or dismiss any of his qualities/performances. I do think however that there are a couple of points you simply can't deny:

1) He's had a very good season last year, his first year as starting GK in Europe;
2) He must be (very) good already if he was starting in front of Ederson at the WC;
3) He will MASSIVELY improve our GK situation no matter how you rate him;
4) We will be overpaying for him, although I doubt any Liverpool fan will care.

GASHEAD

Supports
Bristol Rovers
No he wasn't. De Gea had better season.

Liverpool are getting very good player though, no doubt about it.
I think De Gea is a fantastic keeper, but if you'd only watched his WC games your opinion would be very different. Not wise to rate someone on a limited game sample.

roonster09

Scout
I've not seen one Liverpool fan on here overrating him. It's just two extremes between people thinking he's world class (which he isn't) and people aka TheReligion who think he's bang average, which he isn't either.

I'm betting that apart from Giorno and maybe one or two others, no one in this thread has seen more than 5 games from Alisson last year. I even saw someone commeting "why don't they go for Pope or Heaton, PL proven and excellent shot stoppers", like wtf? If it was the other way around, they'd be ridiculing us as well "why are they going for the likes of Pope and Heaton when Alisson is available who's just had a superb season at Roma".

There are barely any sensible comments in this thread, it's like you have to pick one of two extremes - be all in on him or dismiss any of his qualities/performances. I do think however that there are a couple of points you simply can't deny:

1) He's had a very good season last year, his first year as starting GK in Europe;
2) He must be (very) good already if he was starting in front of Ederson at the WC;
Yeah 2 extremes in this thread. I'm guessing the guy who said "He was the best in the world and he is the best PL keeper" is obviously a Liverpool fan.

Re point 3, yes he is few levels better than our GKs, so obvious improvement.
Re point 4, this is the problem I have with fans in general. All years called Jose, Pep as check book manager, moaned about the fee we paid and now "I don't care as long as he improves the team".

roonster09

Scout
I think De Gea is a fantastic keeper, but if you'd only watched his WC games your opinion would be very different. Not wise to rate someone on a limited game sample.
I don't have to rate him on only world cup games, I have seen every min of his ManUtd career.

Also not sure why you are saying not wise to rate based on limited game sample, I haven't said he is shit, I said De Gea is better.

lewwoo

I work with an Alison Becker and she is shite in goal. Probably an upgrade on Karius though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah 2 extremes in this thread. I'm guessing the guy who said "He was the best in the world and he is the best PL keeper" is obviously a Liverpool fan.

Re point 3, yes he is few levels better than our GKs, so obvious improvement.
Re point 4, this is the problem I have with fans in general. All years called Jose, Pep as check book manager, moaned about the fee we paid and now "I don't care as long as he improves the team".
Don't think we disagree that much in that case.

Re the spending - I have to admit my opinion on that has changed in recent years, but the market has changed drastically as well and has become a lot more volatile. Pep has never proven that he can win things without money, although his kind of style requires a certain level of players. Mourinho has at Porto but hasn't since, but money was simply always available to him so yeah, why not spend it. The difference with Klopp is that he was known to "unearth cheap gems" at Dortmund like Lewandowski. I chose to believe he genuinely thought that Pogba was an outlier and he'd never have to spend that much for a player. I chose to believe he'd still like to find gems in the market for low fees to develop himself. But that's hard, and the money is available to him now, so yeah. Your opinion on something can certainly change due to different circumstances, and imo that's what has happened, although people will always call him a hypocrite for it, rightfully or not. Anyway, that's probably for another thread to discuss :)

For Alisson, I just hope it gets sorted quickly so he can immediately join us after his holiday.

roonster09

Scout
Don't think we disagree that much in that case.

Re the spending - I have to admit my opinion on that has changed in recent years, but the market has changed drastically as well and has become a lot more volatile. Pep has never proven that he can win things without money, although his kind of style requires a certain level of players. Mourinho has at Porto but hasn't since, but money was simply always available to him so yeah, why not spend it. The difference with Klopp is that he was known to "unearth cheap gems" at Dortmund like Lewandowski. I chose to believe he genuinely thought that Pogba was an outlier and he'd never have to spend that much for a player. I chose to believe he'd still like to find gems in the market for low fees to develop himself. But that's hard, and the money is available to him now, so yeah. Your opinion on something can certainly change due to different circumstances, and imo that's what has happened, although people will always call him a hypocrite for it, rightfully or not. Anyway, that's probably for another thread to discuss :)

For Alisson, I just hope it gets sorted quickly so he can immediately join us after his holiday.
When you don't have money to spend and have great scouting network to unearth gems, it's easy to play "I don't spend" card.

Now that Liverpool's scouting is nowhere near good enough, there is money available to spend, he is spending it. He is no different to any manager who spends because they have money to spend to improve the team.

Liverpool fans find excuse to defend Klopp, for ManUtd fans, it's just one of many ridiculous things Klopp said.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
When you don't have money to spend and have great scouting network to unearth gems, it's easy to play "I don't spend" card.

Now that Liverpool's scouting is nowhere near good enough, there is money available to spend, he is spending it. He is no different to any manager who spends because they have money to spend to improve the team.

Liverpool fans find excuse to defend Klopp, for ManUtd fans, it's just one of many ridiculous things Klopp said.
I'm not trying to find excuses for him, I've said many times on here that just like any other manager he says a lot of daft things. And yes, it looks like he'll end up behaving like any other manager who's had money available did.

roonster09

Scout
I'm not trying to find excuses for him, I've said many times on here that just like any other manager he says a lot of daft things. And yes, it looks like he'll end up behaving like any other manager who's had money available did.
Exactly what I'm saying and he would be fool not to spend when he has money available and there is need to improve the squad.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool

Great points.

There's no way on one season Alisson is better than DDG. DDG been there done that however, it is also fouly of some to say, i saw the 2 games vs LFC + his World Cup games, and he looked bang average. Yes those are games to judge, but a very limited sample. As someone said above, if you watched DDG over the WC only, you wouldn't consider him as good as we know he is.

It's likely he will (hopefully) be somewhere between Karius and DDG ability-wise, probably around Ederson? ( the people who say Alisson started ahead of Ederson so he's obviously better, are also wrong. Manager's have favourites see Jesus starting over Firmino).

Anyway. A necessary signing all in all. People that talk about money are also flawed, you'd think LFC don't sell players as well. When you sell your best player for a lot of money and aren't exactly poor in the first place, its probably fair to say they can spend a bit? Do i think LFC will go on spending like this year in year out? No. United +City's spend like this year in year out, often failing to cover any of it with sales. That for fans isn't a big deal as it isn't our cash....but that's real life.

Post finished, i am limited to very few as a newbie, so thought i'd cover some points!

Radialwellendichtring

No he wasn't. De Gea had better season.

Liverpool are getting very good player though, no doubt about it.
I still don't understand how you can allow yourself an opinion of a player that you didn't watch regularly while making fun of those who did.

Cherry on top is that people bring up Alisson's apparently poor World Cup while De Gea produced a literal Karius vs Portugal and failed to save any Russian penalties

It's amazing, I doubt even Roma fans think he's that good, but numpties here already know he's the best in the world
yes they do but numpties here know De Gea is better

Liverpool fan? I didn't come here to get insulted

roonster09

Scout
I still don't understand how you can allow yourself an opinion of a player that you didn't watch regularly while making fun of those who did.
You are making lot of assumptions and incorrect statements, shouldn't have wasted posts like that.

I have watched enough of his games to make judgement.

Same, did you watch every GK in the world to make the statement that he is the best in the world? Sound logic there.

Cherry on top is that people bring up Alisson's apparently poor World Cup while De Gea produced a literal Karius vs Portugal and failed to save any Russian penalties
You just made that up. Man these Liverpool fans, or whatever team you follow.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

Just a heads up for people wanting the media to call klopp a hypocrite, talksport were this morning. Referenced the pogba transfer and klopps comments.

I know thats important to some people.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Have to admit to having seen very little of him but Liverpool have a habit of buying a great goalkeeper and somehow making him shite, cf Brad Friedel, then when he leaves he turns good again. Mignolet was a pretty good keeper before he went there. Long may the run continue!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Roma fans would laugh at you for thinking de gea is worth a finger of Alisson actually...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Haven't see enough to judge.

I watched Roma more in 16/17 and he was back up that year to Wojciech.

Looks solid enough for Brazil but they've had very solid back 4 last 2 years.

Be interested what he's like on crosses. Glued to his line when Swiss scored from a corner from about 6 yards ( I know it could've easily been given as a foul).

prateik

Looked at his wiki.
Has played 80 club games.. is about to turn 26.

All the hype on the back of 1 good season?

JB7

The journalists seem more confident the deal will happen than the club do at the moment, from murmurings I've heard the club are fully expecting Chelsea to outbid them. Not sure what they'll do if that happens because they've been confident of signing him for months.

J_XO

At least this would drive DDG’s price up some more. Although it’s looking like it may not matter now anyway

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The journalists seem more confident the deal will happen than the club do at the moment, from murmurings I've heard the club are fully expecting Chelsea to outbid them. Not sure what they'll do if that happens because they've been confident of signing him for months.
Given they had to wait for real madrid to drop their interest before moving for him, i wonder how confident they could have been...

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
3 months ago, i had never heard of this guy, honestly.
Now Liverpool are offering 70 million (€ or £ not sure to be honest), and everyone is worried they'll catch up with us.
I'm sure Karius was rated quite high when he was signed (i'd even heard of that guy), and how did that turn out?

Thisistheone

Liverpool breaking another world record fee after Van Dijk. Fair fecks to them and Klopp showing real ambition.

Alisson will be a big upgrade on Karius. Thats the bottom line.

Horrible to see them progressing like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.