All time British+Irish Fantasy Draft

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Not sure how this category/auction format will pan out, to be honest. Seems to me that there's potentially zero gain in researching well and/or coming up with original players. Someone else could simply outbid you for 'em anyway - so the category part does seem a little superfluous to me.

Then again, perhaps it'll work swimmingly - my misgivings about the last draft were proven entirely wrong.
That is something I'm not too enamored about. Like Pat Mustard stated you can try to keep the lesser known players till the last few rounds and hope most managers have blown their budget by then or that they don't know too much about them.

Anyway I don't mind a different type of drafting and keen to experience an auction based one.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not sure how this category/auction format will pan out, to be honest. Seems to me that there's potentially zero gain in researching well and/or coming up with original players. Someone else could simply outbid you for 'em anyway - so the category part does seem a little superfluous to me.

Then again, perhaps it'll work swimmingly - my misgivings about the last draft were proven entirely wrong.
People who don't know some hidden gems are more likely to spend their load on big names. For example if someone knows a good winger unknown to others then he is less likely to spend big bucks on likes of Giggs, Best.. and can then use his extra bucks in the end to secure his pick.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To clarify - I've got nothing against an auction draft. What I have doubts about is whether the combination of an auction format and a category one will work out well.

You can't just nominate any old player, you need to nominate (and then bid for) a player who fits a certain category. Now, it seems obvious that if you dig up a brilliant player for category X (a tricky category, say, one people struggle with), this will potentially (or even very likely) do you no good: Anyone can outbid you for that player anyway, in which case your brilliant idea will be positively detrimental to you.

If a combination draft is what you want to go for, @crappycraperson, I would consider splitting it up completely - with some rounds being category based and others auction based.

Just a suggestion, man - I'm sure it'll be enjoyable no matter what, it just seems to me that the auction part takes the point (or much of it) out of the category part when you mix 'em like this.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why not combine two draft formats? Start with 4 rounds of auction draft followed by 2 criteria based snake draft rounds, that allow to pick 'hidden' gems. Then another 4 rounds of auction and finish it up with more rounds of snake draft.

You could use the remaining budgets to create the order for the snake drafts, the one with the biggest remaining budget picks first, so spending less on the big names in the beginning gives you a slight advantage in these rounds.

It probably needs a few tweaks to make sure everyone has at least 12 players in the end, the budget maybe needs to be adjusted to 8-10 auction bought players instead of 12-14, but it should work and give a better balance for those who do a lot more research in lesser known players.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To be honest I reckon this theme lends itself to a traditional snake style draft with few, if any, restrictions.

Annahnomoss

I think that first of all; we need to decide all the categories so people can have an idea of what happens in the future rounds as it will affect what is going on right now. @crappycraperson

Overall I am not too fuzzed about it all, I think the pool may be too small if we have to follow all those criterias - in a draft that is already being considered on the limited side with the pool.

At the end of the day Crappy has some idea in his mind and I am fine with what he decides for. I think that as long as the rules are clear - the draft will be good.

Annahnomoss

FWIW, I agree. Auction drafts have always been the weakest IMO.
I prefer them as you can build a team that you want rather than being limited by being lower in the order. Although no trades sucks a bit.
I think of it more as, snake being the standard draft version - sheep and auction are just alternatives for when the snake gets boring.

It wasn't long ago that the snake had a lot of people really bored with it, which is why we started the sheep/auction styles. I think the last draft already gave people quite a good chance to pick exactly the players they wanted for their teams - which is the idea of the auction draft pretty much so maybe it isn't the ideal time for an auction.

Completely different attractions with each of them and they complement each other well. I like that about the Auction draft as well MJJ. If you want to build a team around Maradona, you will do it, in a sheep/snake you may go an eternity without getting to have a certain player.

I've wanted Di Stefano forever but I've never had him, that sums up the good part of the auction draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I Iike auction drafts. Snakes are too simple comparatively. This not only allows you to research players but also makes you judge their worth and actively screw with others by raising bids :D

The usual suspects dogged the last auction. This one should be more interesting with lack of star names.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Matthews surely is? Considering how relatively poor the pool is. He won't go for the same amount as Best or Charlton, of course, but he should be with them. You can build a team around him.
Of course he is, I was only pointing out that, so far, marquee seemed to be equivalent to "big bucks vote-winning United favourites".

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why not combine two draft formats? Start with 4 rounds of auction draft followed by 2 criteria based snake draft rounds, that allow to pick 'hidden' gems. Then another 4 rounds of auction and finish it up with more rounds of snake draft.

You could use the remaining budgets to create the order for the snake drafts, the one with the biggest remaining budget picks first, so spending less on the big names in the beginning gives you a slight advantage in these rounds.

It probably needs a few tweaks to make sure everyone has at least 12 players in the end, the budget maybe needs to be adjusted to 8-10 auction bought players instead of 12-14, but it should work and give a better balance for those who do a lot more research in lesser known players.
Exactly what I was thinking. If you aare confident of your hidden gems you can spend less in the auction and have a bigger kitty when it comes to competing for reinforcements.

Or something like that. TBH, this was a clear as day 8-manager snake draft.

crappycraperson

Scout
To be honest I reckon this theme lends itself to a traditional snake style draft with few, if any, restrictions.
I think in this draft, people who were at the top of snake would have had a big advantage. Quality can really drop steeply at different levels.

People are over-thinking the "restrictions" bit. It was just a fun thing I tacked on since I was doing round based auctions. The criteria is not going to be as tough as trippy or Aldo had. I mean WC stars would mean any player who appeared in a WC, Marquee means any top player. You can have a round where someone scored more than 10/15 goals in a league season.

Annahnomoss

I think in this draft, people who were at the top of snake would have had a big advantage. Quality can really drop steeply at different levels.

People are over-thinking the "restrictions" bit. It was just a fun thing I tacked on since I was doing round based auctions. The criteria is not going to be as tough as trippy or Aldo had. I mean WC stars would mean any player who appeared in a WC, Marquee means any top player. You can have a round where someone scored more than 10/15 goals in a league season.
I agree about the snake draft part. If we do opt for the restrictions you need to finalize it before we start the draft though. I don't think it will be necessary to have it, or that it will add too much either as it is already a limited draft.

crappycraperson

Scout
I agree about the snake draft part. If we do opt for the restrictions you need to finalize it before we start the draft though. I don't think it will be necessary to have it, or that it will add too much either as it is already a limited draft.
I like Balu's idea so we will probably do that.

10-12 auction rounds and then 2 snake ones with the person with money left deciding the order of the same.

Annahnomoss

@Gio
@Cal?

Can we have your nominations for round 1?
It will take ages for people to nominate players for each round. Can't really do it before the other round finishes too as people will want to see how that round pans out before making their next nomination. We will be end up waiting for a day or two here and there if we want to wait for all 15 managers.

Can't you nominate two as an admin to get it rolling? Then maybe at worst keep the "next rounds nominations" ready before hand.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There is absolutely no need to worry about nominations in this round, no marquee player will go unnoticed anyway.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I like Balu's idea so we will probably do that.

10-12 auction rounds and then 2 snake ones with the person with money left deciding the order of the same.
That's better, no doubt. As long as you scrap the category part of those auction rounds altogether - because, again, it's either pointless (if the categories aren't tough) or just plain illogical (if the categories are tricky).

At any rate, if you go with categories, these should definitely be announced before the drafting begins - unless the intention is to introduce some sort of curve ball element into the draft.

Annahnomoss

There is absolutely no need to worry about nominations in this round, no marquee player will go unnoticed anyway.
Agreed and would get us started. After that it is probably best to force everybody to send the next rounds nominations in before the round ends.

crappycraperson

Scout
That's better, no doubt. As long as you scrap the category part of those auction rounds altogether - because, again, it's either pointless (if the categories aren't tough) or just plain illogical (if the categories are tricky).

At any rate, if you go with categories, these should definitely be announced before the drafting begins - unless the intention is to introduce some sort of curve ball element into the draft.
Yes we will announce it before the draft begins. I will make most as simple as MFs, FWs etc.

crappycraperson

Scout
Agreed and would get us started. After that it is probably best to force everybody to send the next rounds nominations in before the round ends.
We can't start before everyone has checked it at least once since we won't be able to have 12 hour deadline otherwise.

crappycraperson

Scout
Important Rules -

Players Eligible -

• All players who born in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland are eligible.
  • All players who represented any of these nations are also eligible.
  • Players who may have secured citizenship or passport of the these nations but did not represent them at national level are NOT eligible.
  • Players of foreign origin who may have played in the any of the home nation league for more than 100 matches.

Restrictions for playing 11 -
  • A maximum of 6 players who are only eligible for England can be part of playing 11 at any point in the match.
  • A maximum of 2 players in playing 11 and 3 in the squad can be of foreign origin.
  • A squad can not exceed 15 players, which means you will need to discard players going forward.

Auctions Rules
  • Every manager will have 300m in the bank at the start.
  • Auction will be round based with a total of 10 rounds. Each round will have a theme.
  • A total of 15 players will go for sale in each round. These players can be nominated by PM by all managers (and certain neutrals) in play. First 15 players received via PM will be chosen.
  • A player may bid for as many players as he like in any round.
  • Each team must buy a minimum of 12 players and can buy maximum of 14 players.
  • Minimum starting bid is 10m.
  • Any winning bid must be unchallenged for 12 hours straight for it to go through.
  • NO trading/transfers are part of the game. Once you buy someone, he counts as a part of your squad.
  • Colluding by private messages to not bid for certain players counts as CHEATING. Any such incident brought to notice will result in expulsion from the game. It is left to managers to observes this rule in right spirit.
  • A minimum of 2m increments are required for new bids for first 4 hours of listing of a player. From 4-10 hours it is 5m minimum increment. For last 2 hours a minimum of 10m increment.
  • At no point the total cost of the squad and amount used to bid for players should exceed 300m. Any bid that result in such a violation will be deemed invalid and the player will be docked 5m from his budget

Auction Rounds

1. Marquee players - No Foreign players
  2. World Cup Stars (must have been part of a WC squad)
  3. FA cup Winners
  4. Foreign Players
  5. Goal Keepers
  6. Defenders + MFs
  7. Wingers + Forwards
  8. Foreign Players
  9. Any eligible player (Not unsold players)
  10. Unsold/Any Eligible player
  11. Snake Draft Pick 1 - (Bid any amount of money left to get a pick number)
  12. Snake Draft Pick 2 - (Bid any amount of money left to get a pick number)

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

The foreigners must have played in England? All rounds except the foreigner rounds only allows English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish etc?

crappycraperson

Scout
Marquee List up for Sale

1. George Best
  2. Kenny Dalglish
  3. Duncan Edwards
  4. Dennis Law
  5. Bobby Chalrton
  6. John Charles
  7. Ryan Giggs
  8. Paul Scholes