All time British+Irish Fantasy Draft

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Great mate, just got the feel that it was suddenly an issue! My bad.
Don't worry. If people still don't buck up then u can nominate more.

Whole point of auction draft though is that u have to pick from a pool rather than get ur own players like snake draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Next 2 auction rounds won't start unless everyone has 2 nominations submitted. Nominations must be approved by @Balu @antohan or @crappycraperson
I'm not going to be around much at all so don't PM me anything.

I don't think you need an approval process, throwing shit players into the mix wouldn't be very sporting and I doubt anyone will do that. But there sure are many who don't have much urgency at all as they have no real skin in it. Set a time, start at that time, and whoever hasn't nominated by then loses his right to nominate. Happy to throw 4-5 names in there if there are any no-shows.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This won't be an issue if people just followed the rule of 2 nominations and did not hold them back.
I understand what you're saying, mate – but the fact is that the rule you mention has never been specified. The stated auction rules in the OP have certainly never been followed (twelve players per round, picks submitted by PM, etc.) – and my impression is that people simply don't know what the rules are or even if there ARE any rules.

There has been some confusion over this, in short – so while I take your point regarding managers having been poor at entering nominations promptly, it has to be said that many of us have been genuinely bewildered as to what precisely has been expected of us in this regard.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'd rather have just gone snake draft now and bid for a spot. Can't I just post my two nominations now?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Can we all make 2 nominations openly in the thread and get over with this round? I don't mind silly nominations being vetted out by crappy and a few other neutrals. Let's not drag it out by making it pms and such. If there aren't enough nominations then neutrals should be more than welcome to nominate imo.

Annahnomoss

Can have an open round from now? To complete all teams maybe? Except those who wants to go to a snake.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It is going to be a list of players who will be top quality but no one wants.

antohan

It is going to be a list of players who will be top quality but no one wants.
Any player people may be "saving for the snake" could come up. I actually don't get this, people wait for the snake assuming that's the safe place to get their man, but it's only safe if you have enough money to secure top billing... In which case you have it if someone makes a futile challenge in the auction.

Unless it's some hidden gem you are 100% sure no one will think about leaving stuff to a snake draft looks bloody risky to me.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Neil Franklin was arguably the finest centre-half the England football team ever had. After losing his early prime to the Second World War, he became an automatic choice for his country, only to scupper an apparently gilded career by one disastrous, if understandable, decision.

When he walked out on Stoke City, turned his back on England's first World Cup campaign, and flew to Bogota in the summer of 1950, Franklin believed he was heading for a pot of gold and securing his family's financial future. No more would he be a slave to the English game's iniquitous system which made players little more than appallingly paid slaves to their clubs.

But the hoped-for El Dorado in Colombia - then acrimoniously outside the jurisdiction of the Federation of International Football Associations - proved to be a sorry illusion.

As his friend Stanley Matthews later pointed out: "At first all went well, but Santa Fe were never forthcoming with the money they had promised. The country was very unstable politically and at 6.30 p.m. street curfew fueled anxieties. Neil returned to England after two months having received only one week's wages and no signing-on fee."

What made Neil Franklin different as a central defender was his pure skill. Virtually all stoppers of his era were hunky bustlers whose brawn and aggression were their paramount assets, but the Stoke number five adopted a singularly subtle approach. Though firm in the tackle and competitive in the air - indeed, impressively so for a man of 5ft 11in who weighed just 11 stone - he tended to master his adversaries by shrewd positional sense and almost uncanny anticipation.

Then, having gained possession of the ball, he could stroke it with masterful accuracy to which-ever colleague he chose. Invariably, Franklin appeared in command of a situation, serenely composed, a born organiser, a delight to the eye.

Franklin won his won his first international cap for England against Northern Ireland on 28th September, 1946. Franklin retained his place and that season played againstRepublic of Ireland (1-0), Wales (3-0), Holland(8-2), Scotland (1-1), France (3-0), Switzerland(0-1) and Portugal (10-0).

By now a ever present presence at the back for England, Franklin went on a record 27 consecutive caps and was imperious in the 1947-48 season he played against Belgium (5-2), Wales (3-0), Northern Ireland (2-2), Sweden (4-2), Scotland (2-0) and Italy (4-0). Franklin was now considered to be one of the best centre-halves in the world.

He was a commanding stopper and a silky balk playing defender rolled into one and at his peak, arguably the finest English centre half ever. Hard to believe? Just have a look at what his peers had to say.

The greatest centre-half I ever had the privilege of playing with, the incomparable Neil Franklin. At the time, Neil was widely considered to be the best centre-half in Britain. He had played in ten wartime and victory internationals for England and in this season went on to win the first of his 27 caps.

Neil won everything in the air, tackled with superb timing and when the ball was at his feet possessed the nous to pass it with all the guile and intelligence of the most cerebral of inside-forwards. An erect physique belied tremendous mobility and breathtaking speed over four or five yards. When it came to heading he was as dominant in the air as a Spitfire, and such was the timing of his tackling that when sliding in, his backside and tackling leg would touch the ground only momentarily before he rose majestically with the ball at his feet.

Many was the game played in pelting rain on a gluepot of a pitch when all the Stoke players would leave the field covered in mud except Neil whose shirt and shorts would be just specked with splashes. The only sign he had been in the thick of it would be the brown circle of mud hammered on to his forehead.

Neil oozed class and self-control in equal measures. When his legs were kicked from under him he would rise to his feet, look pityingly at the perpetrator of the shabby assault and with a gentle, disapproving shake of the head, turn and trot away to take up his position. He used his physical strength sparingly, preferring to rely on the skills he had been blessed with. In an era of bruising, granite-like centre-halves, he was a model of restraint.

Neil Franklin was the best centre-half I ever played with or against. Just before the 1950 World Cup, he went off to play in Colombia, thinking he was going to make a bit of money, but it didn't work out. When he came back, the FA were furious and clubs wouldn't touch him. He was still good enough to play for England, though. It was very sad.

Neil was a superb stylist with an instinctive positional sense. His international career ended when he was suspended for becoming a mercenary in the outlawed Bogotá league. If Neil had been satisfied with the maximum £20 he was earning at Stoke City, he would have played for England for at least another four years, and I often wonder what difference that would have made to my career.

Neil Franklin is my ideal centre-half. Of course he plays as a stopper, in the modern fashion, but he also uses the ball cleverly. Note, for instance, how he uses the pass-back to the goalkeeper. I have already told you how Frank Swift developed the trick of starting attacks from his own goal-line, and with Neil he built up a set of sequence moves. Neil would check a raid, hold the ball long enough to ensure complete control of both ball and his immediate surroundings, noting the placing of every opponent, and then if all was clear, slip the ball back.

Against Scotland at Hampden Park in April 1948, the first half was a bad time for the English team. We were not playing badly enough to get rattled, but we couldn't get the rhythm in our movements. So the Scots had us more or less on the run, yet they rarely got within shooting range of Frank, because Neil kept getting that ball and slipping it back for our goalkeeper to use.

It must have been galling to Scotland's supporters, as well as players to see this apparently simple move so often exploited to keep the home side at bay. Like all good things, it isn't as simple as it looks. To be able to carry out this play successfully the centre-half must have ball-control equal to that of an inside-forward.

Another way in which Neil appeals to his teammates is that he rarely gives a free kick away. The modern centre-half, trained to stop, is often penalised through being just clumsy, with arms flying as he goes into the tackle, not through any vicious intent. Neil, tidy and competent, always plays the ball, and so avoids giving away those dangerous free kicks on the fringe of the penalty area.

To conclude this love-child of Baresi and Beckenbauer just shits on everybody.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Neil Franklin was arguably the finest centre-half the England football team ever had. After losing his early prime to the Second World War, he became an automatic choice for his country, only to scupper an apparently gilded career by one disastrous, if understandable, decision.

When he walked out on Stoke City, turned his back on England's first World Cup campaign, and flew to Bogota in the summer of 1950, Franklin believed he was heading for a pot of gold and securing his family's financial future. No more would he be a slave to the English game's iniquitous system which made players little more than appallingly paid slaves to their clubs.

But the hoped-for El Dorado in Colombia - then acrimoniously outside the jurisdiction of the Federation of International Football Associations - proved to be a sorry illusion.

As his friend Stanley Matthews later pointed out: "At first all went well, but Santa Fe were never forthcoming with the money they had promised. The country was very unstable politically and at 6.30 p.m. street curfew fueled anxieties. Neil returned to England after two months having received only one week's wages and no signing-on fee."

What made Neil Franklin different as a central defender was his pure skill. Virtually all stoppers of his era were hunky bustlers whose brawn and aggression were their paramount assets, but the Stoke number five adopted a singularly subtle approach. Though firm in the tackle and competitive in the air - indeed, impressively so for a man of 5ft 11in who weighed just 11 stone - he tended to master his adversaries by shrewd positional sense and almost uncanny anticipation.

Then, having gained possession of the ball, he could stroke it with masterful accuracy to which-ever colleague he chose. Invariably, Franklin appeared in command of a situation, serenely composed, a born organiser, a delight to the eye.

Franklin won his won his first international cap for England against Northern Ireland on 28th September, 1946. Franklin retained his place and that season played againstRepublic of Ireland (1-0), Wales (3-0), Holland(8-2), Scotland (1-1), France (3-0), Switzerland(0-1) and Portugal (10-0).

By now a ever present presence at the back for England, Franklin went on a record 27 consecutive caps and was imperious in the 1947-48 season he played against Belgium (5-2), Wales (3-0), Northern Ireland (2-2), Sweden (4-2), Scotland (2-0) and Italy (4-0). Franklin was now considered to be one of the best centre-halves in the world.

He was a commanding stopper and a silky balk playing defender rolled into one and at his peak, arguably the finest English centre half ever. Hard to believe? Just have a look at what his peers had to say.

The greatest centre-half I ever had the privilege of playing with, the incomparable Neil Franklin. At the time, Neil was widely considered to be the best centre-half in Britain. He had played in ten wartime and victory internationals for England and in this season went on to win the first of his 27 caps.

Neil won everything in the air, tackled with superb timing and when the ball was at his feet possessed the nous to pass it with all the guile and intelligence of the most cerebral of inside-forwards. An erect physique belied tremendous mobility and breathtaking speed over four or five yards. When it came to heading he was as dominant in the air as a Spitfire, and such was the timing of his tackling that when sliding in, his backside and tackling leg would touch the ground only momentarily before he rose majestically with the ball at his feet.

Many was the game played in pelting rain on a gluepot of a pitch when all the Stoke players would leave the field covered in mud except Neil whose shirt and shorts would be just specked with splashes. The only sign he had been in the thick of it would be the brown circle of mud hammered on to his forehead.

Neil oozed class and self-control in equal measures. When his legs were kicked from under him he would rise to his feet, look pityingly at the perpetrator of the shabby assault and with a gentle, disapproving shake of the head, turn and trot away to take up his position. He used his physical strength sparingly, preferring to rely on the skills he had been blessed with. In an era of bruising, granite-like centre-halves, he was a model of restraint.

Neil Franklin was the best centre-half I ever played with or against. Just before the 1950 World Cup, he went off to play in Colombia, thinking he was going to make a bit of money, but it didn't work out. When he came back, the FA were furious and clubs wouldn't touch him. He was still good enough to play for England, though. It was very sad.

Neil was a superb stylist with an instinctive positional sense. His international career ended when he was suspended for becoming a mercenary in the outlawed Bogotá league. If Neil had been satisfied with the maximum £20 he was earning at Stoke City, he would have played for England for at least another four years, and I often wonder what difference that would have made to my career.

Neil Franklin is my ideal centre-half. Of course he plays as a stopper, in the modern fashion, but he also uses the ball cleverly. Note, for instance, how he uses the pass-back to the goalkeeper. I have already told you how Frank Swift developed the trick of starting attacks from his own goal-line, and with Neil he built up a set of sequence moves. Neil would check a raid, hold the ball long enough to ensure complete control of both ball and his immediate surroundings, noting the placing of every opponent, and then if all was clear, slip the ball back.

Against Scotland at Hampden Park in April 1948, the first half was a bad time for the English team. We were not playing badly enough to get rattled, but we couldn't get the rhythm in our movements. So the Scots had us more or less on the run, yet they rarely got within shooting range of Frank, because Neil kept getting that ball and slipping it back for our goalkeeper to use.

It must have been galling to Scotland's supporters, as well as players to see this apparently simple move so often exploited to keep the home side at bay. Like all good things, it isn't as simple as it looks. To be able to carry out this play successfully the centre-half must have ball-control equal to that of an inside-forward.

Another way in which Neil appeals to his teammates is that he rarely gives a free kick away. The modern centre-half, trained to stop, is often penalised through being just clumsy, with arms flying as he goes into the tackle, not through any vicious intent. Neil, tidy and competent, always plays the ball, and so avoids giving away those dangerous free kicks on the fringe of the penalty area.

To conclude this love-child of Baresi and Beckenbauer just shits on everybody
:lol: That's a great write-up mate.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Any player people may be "saving for the snake" could come up. I actually don't get this, people wait for the snake assuming that's the safe place to get their man, but it's only safe if you have enough money to secure top billing... In which case you have it if someone makes a futile challenge in the auction.

Unless it's some hidden gem you are 100% sure no one will think about leaving stuff to a snake draft looks bloody risky to me.
Clearly so - yes. To me, at least, it makes zero sense not to stick to the original plan in this regard. It would be absurdly unfair on those who have actually factored these snake rounds in as part of their strategy for the draft.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great read, you bagged a gem there. Love learning about new players, I'd never heard of him before this.

antohan

Great read, you bagged a gem there. Love learning about new players, I'd never heard of him before this.
Gio had him before. Didn't go too well but different format so it was easy to say "Neil Who?". Had never heard of him before that either but that seems the norm here.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

To conclude this love-child of Baresi and Beckenbauer just shits on everybody.
Fantastic write-ups so far, but with this one you've outdone yourself

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Cheers guys but I took most of that from 3 pretty good sources. Can claim credit for the last sentence though :D

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Gio had him before. Didn't go too well but different format so it was easy to say "Neil Who?". Had never heard of him before that either but that seems the norm here.
This draft has definitely opened my eyes up to a lot of unheard of players.. but it also saddens me to see that there was a big drop off in quality by the PL round - or was that because so many of the big stars had been named before it? does feel like a disproportionate amount of greats come from the 50's - 70's.

At the start of the draft, I was pretty much sticking to players I'd heard of but realise in hindsight there was more value in the market out there.. losing £5m didn't help :(.

@Joga Bonito .. that last line was genius though haha.

Annahnomoss

This draft has definitely opened my eyes up to a lot of unheard of players.. but it also saddens me to see that there was a big drop off in quality by the PL round - or was that because so many of the big stars had been named before it? does feel like a disproportionate amount of greats come from the 50's - 70's.

At the start of the draft, I was pretty much sticking to players I'd heard of but realise in hindsight there was more value in the market out there.. losing £5m didn't help :(.

@Joga Bonito .. that last line was genius though haha.
Well we can only draft players from the British Isles and the first round ever of matches in the EPL had 11 non British isle players in the starting line ups. These days half of the squads are foreigners, and I would bet there is a bigger chance that the current youth/reserves has a higher amount of players from the British isles.

The top scorer award hasn't gone to a Brit for 15 years when Kevin Phillips won it. The last 13 years only Lampard and Rooney has won the "player of the season" award from England - Bale from the rest.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Initial thoughts on this team please: Simpson; Armfield, Franklin, New Signing, Greig; Scholes, Souness; Liddell, Keegan, Barnes; McGrory.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Initial thoughts on this team please: Simpson; Armfield, Franklin, New Signing, Greig; Scholes, Souness; Liddell, Keegan, Barnes; McGrory.
Cracking side, just don't play me haha. Tactically it is a side with few weaknesses.. Barnes and Keegan might be weak points by final stage.. not sure what people's perception of them are, me personally I love em both to bits.

Is it too late to nominate Paddy Mcnair.. could be the missing piece for that side mate.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah he was a gem of a player but never reached the recognition he deserved due to that move to Columbia and being ostracized after his return for being greedy. Tbf players of that era were unfairly underpaid and I'm sure anyone would have jumped at thar offer.

No doubt about his quality at his glorious peak. Really a player ahead of his time.

Loved these snippets from the Sir Stanley Matthews excerpt from the initial post

When it came to heading he was as dominant in the air as a Spitfire, and such was the timing of his tackling that when sliding in, his backside and tackling leg would touch the ground only momentarily before he rose majestically with the ball at his feet.

Neil oozed class and self-control in equal measures. When his legs were kicked from under him he would rise to his feet, look pityingly at the perpetrator of the shabby assault and with a gentle, disapproving shake of the head, turn and trot away to take up his position.

:lol::lol::lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Confirmed:

MJJ
- 186m - 1. Bobby Charlton 66m, 2. Bryan Robson 60M, 3. Kenny Dalglish 49m 4. Ray Wilson 10m 5. Harry Gregg 10m

Annah - 230m 1. George Best 95m, 2. Stanley Matthews 52m, 3. Danny Blanchflower 63m 4. B. Collins 10m 5. Jim Leighton 10m

Skizzo - 280m 1. John Charles 42m, 2. Bobby Moore 52m 3. Neville Southall 15m 4. Paul Ince 26m 5. Gary Neville 30m6. David Beckham 50m 7. Frank Lampard 15m 8. Bobby Lennox 20m 9. Ian Wright 10m 10. Tony Dunne 10m 11. Mark Lawrenson 10m

Lynk - 295m(-5m)1. Roy Keane 75m 2. Pat Jennings 30m 3. Billy Meredith 30m 4. Tony Adams 35m 5.John Terry 39m6.Barry 10m 7. Duff 10m 8. Fowler 14m9. Waddle 10m 10. V. Anderson 16m 11. Ivor Allchurch 10m 12. J. Carey 16m

Barney - 216m 1. Paul Scholes 67m, 2. Graeme Souness 56m 3. Jimmy Armfield 15m 4. John Greig 17m 5. Ronnie Simpson 10m 6. John Barnes 20m 7. Kevin Keegan 10m 8. Neil Franklin 21m

EAP - 271m 1. Paul Gascoigne 46m, 2. Harry Styles 45m, 3. Paul McGrath 45m 4. Michael Owen 16m 5.Liam Brady 49m6. Shay Given 14m 7.George Cohen 12m 8. Wes Brown 10m 9. Tommy Gemmell 12m 10. Sparky Hughes 10m 11. Emlyn Hughes 12m

Raees (-5m) - 268m 1. Denis Law 58m, 2. Dave Mackay 49m, 3. Alan Ball 17m 4. Billy Bremner 47m 5. Sol Campbell 37m 6.Eddie Hapgood 10m7. Billy McNeill 18m 8. Ray Clemence 10m 9. Raich Carter 12m 10. Cliff Jones 10m

Chesterlestreet - 272m 1. Duncan Edwards 69m,2. Billy Wright 30m, 3. Roger Byrne 27m; 4.Johnny Haynes 30m5.William R. Dean. 45m 6. W. Woodburn 10m 7. Jack Kelsey 10m 8. Pat Crerand 20m 9. Cliff Bastin 12m 10. Alex Jackson 19m

Gio - 258m 1. Jimmy Greaves 30m, 2. Tom Finney 72m 3. Ashley Cole 36m 4. Davie Meiklejohn 10m5. Des Walker 34m5. Alan Morton 29m 6. Alex James 21m 7. Gordon Banks 10m 8. George Young 16m

Stobzilla - 276m 1. Jimmy Johnstone 38m; 2. Alan Hansen 40m 3. Johnny Giles 50m 4. Eddie Gray 40m 5. Kevin Ratfcliffe 15m 6. Peter Reid 15m 7.Danny McGrain 28m 8. Ron Springett 10m 9. Alan Shearer 20m 10. Teddy Sheringham 10m 11. Mike England 10m

SirAF- 260m 1. Giggs 70m, 2. Hurst 10m, 3.Lineker 25m 4. Trevor Brooking 18m 5. Steven Gerrard 33m 6.Hart 10m7.OShea 10m 8. L.King 25m 9. L. Baines 15m 10. M.Carrick 14m 11.Terry Butcher 16m 12. Alex Ferguson 10m 13. Sandy Jardine 23m [REMOVED: Gary Pallister]

Crappy - 234m 1. Irwin 42m, 2. Rush 30m 3.Wayne Rooney 20m 4. Bale 30m 5. Rio Ferdinand 55m 6. Jim Baxter 47m7.Andy Goram 10m

Bids for 6th Round MFs + Defenders (Starts at 7 PM BST, Everyone can nominate any 2 players)

Bids for 6th round - forwards/wingers - (Nominations closed)

Bids for Round 7 - Non PL players(No appearance in English PL) /2 nominations per person

SOLD
Gordon Banks
Mike England
Cliff Jones
Kevin Keegan
Jackie Carey
George Young
Emlyn Walter Hughes
Neil Franklin
Tony Dunne
Alex Jackson
Mark Lawrenson

Billy Liddell - Barney 19 m - 03:30
Alex Raisbeck- MJJ 10m 04:30
Nat Lofthouse-MJJ 10m 04:30
Jimmy McGrory - Barney 22m 04:39
Phil Neal - Crappy 15m 05:41
Patsy Gallacher - Crappy 10m 06.18
Peter Lorimer - Raees 10m 11.33
McCracken - Annah 10m 12:19
Hardwick - Annah 10m 12:26

Frank McLintock
Gary Stevens
Steve Coppell
Ally McCoist

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Don't want any. Just nominate someone to satisfy requirements.
...and I bag a great favourite of mine - and thank feck for that: The man once labelled "the most discussed footballer of the century", a strange and controversial figure whose immense talent brought him to the top of the game...and then he fell, oddly and remarkably so. Much more will be added about the greatest of the Wembley Wizards, the spectacular Alec Jackson:

Yeah there was a good piece on him in the Guardian the other day. Thought he'd be a great option for the right flank.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah there was a good piece on him in the Guardian the other day. Thought he'd be a great option for the right flank.
I was dreading that you'd go for him too, to be honest. I remember reading about him years ago in some old book - forgotten hero story and all that - and have had a thing for him ever since.

How high would you've gone for Young, btw? He was on my list but the moment I saw you'd upped raees' bid I figured it would be pointless.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I was dreading that you'd go for him too, to be honest. I remember reading about him years ago in some old book - forgotten hero story and all that - and have had a thing for him ever since.

How high would you've gone for Young, btw? He was on my list but the moment I saw you'd upped raees' bid I figured it would be pointless.
The full-backs from yore are going pretty cheap so I wouldn't have been too keen on spending much more. I also had an eye on Carey for the same slot, but couldn't be arsed entering a bidding war with you and Lynk. Keen to get Young though, he was built like a brick shithouse - one of those players who physically would have no problems in the modern game. Importantly though I always wanted a nod to Rangers' famous Iron Curtain defence of the late 1940s.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I was fecking lucky with Carey. 16m was the highest I could go. Chuffed though. Viv Anderson - Terry - Adams -Carey is solid.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I had young and moreton marked out ages ago and mentioned the fact Gio was going to come back with a vengeance. Baxter was another.. slim jim was a genius, similar in style to Van Hangem (if that's spelt right?) from what I've seen. There is a 1967 england v scotland game on YouTube.. quality game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The full-backs from yore are going pretty cheap so I wouldn't have been too keen on spending much more. I also had an eye on Carey for the same slot, but couldn't be arsed entering a bidding war with you and Lynk. Keen to get Young though, he was built like a brick shithouse - one of those players who physically would have no problems in the modern game. Importantly though I always wanted a nod to Rangers' famous Iron Curtain defence of the late 1940s.
Aye - it was the last part which made me think you'd pull another Morton number on me if I tried to land him. Plus, I had raees' Jackson - and Bastin - interest to worry about. I didn't know to what extent he'd push me there and I couldn't risk being short on cash.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Confirmed:

MJJ
- 206m - 1. Bobby Charlton 66m, 2. Bryan Robson 60M, 3. Kenny Dalglish 49m 4. Ray Wilson 10m 5. Harry Gregg 10m 6. Alex Raisbeck 10m 7. Nat Lofthouse 10m

Annah - 230m 1. George Best 95m, 2. Stanley Matthews 52m, 3. Danny Blanchflower 63m 4. B. Collins 10m 5. Jim Leighton 10m

Skizzo - 280m 1. John Charles 42m, 2. Bobby Moore 52m 3. Neville Southall 15m 4. Paul Ince 26m 5. Gary Neville 30m6. David Beckham 50m 7. Frank Lampard 15m 8. Bobby Lennox 20m 9.Ian Wright 10m 10. Tony Dunne 10m 11. Mark Lawrenson 10m

Lynk - 295m(-5m)1. Roy Keane 75m 2. Pat Jennings 30m 3. Billy Meredith 30m 4. Tony Adams 35m 5.John Terry 39m6.Barry 10m 7. Duff 10m 8. Fowler 14m9. Waddle 10m 10. V. Anderson 16m 11. Ivor Allchurch 10m 12. J. Carey 16m

Barney - 235m 1. Paul Scholes 67m, 2. Graeme Souness 56m 3. Jimmy Armfield 15m 4. John Greig 17m 5. Ronnie Simpson 10m 6. John Barnes 20m 7. Kevin Keegan 10m 8. Neil Franklin 21m 9. Billy Liddell 19m 10. Jimmy McGrory 22m 11.

EAP - 271m 1. Paul Gascoigne 46m, 2. Harry Styles 45m, 3. Paul McGrath 45m 4. Michael Owen 16m 5.Liam Brady 49m6. Shay Given 14m 7.George Cohen 12m 8. Wes Brown 10m 9. Tommy Gemmell 12m 10. Sparky Hughes 10m 11. Emlyn Hughes 12m

Raees (-5m) - 268m 1. Denis Law 58m, 2. Dave Mackay 49m, 3. Alan Ball 17m 4. Billy Bremner 47m 5. Sol Campbell 37m 6.Eddie Hapgood 10m7. Billy McNeill 18m 8. Ray Clemence 10m 9.Raich Carter 12m 10. Cliff Jones 10m

Chesterlestreet - 272m 1. Duncan Edwards 69m,2. Billy Wright 30m, 3. Roger Byrne 27m; 4.Johnny Haynes 30m5.William R. Dean. 45m 6. W. Woodburn 10m 7. Jack Kelsey 10m 8. Pat Crerand 20m 9. Cliff Bastin 12m 10. Alex Jackson 19m

Gio - 258m 1. Jimmy Greaves 30m, 2. Tom Finney 72m 3. Ashley Cole 36m 4. Davie Meiklejohn 10m5. Des Walker 34m 6. Alan Morton 29m 7. Alex James 21m 8. Gordon Banks 10m 9. George Young 16m

Stobzilla - 276m 1. Jimmy Johnstone 38m; 2. Alan Hansen 40m 3. Johnny Giles 50m 4. Eddie Gray 40m 5. Kevin Ratfcliffe 15m 6. Peter Reid 15m 7.Danny McGrain 28m 8. Ron Springett 10m 9.Alan Shearer 20m 10. Teddy Sheringham 10m 11. Mike England 10m

SirAF- 260m 1. Giggs 70m, 2. Hurst 10m, 3. Gary Lineker 25m 4. Trevor Brooking 18m 5. Steven Gerrard 33m 6. Joe Hart 10m 7. John O'Shea 10m 8. Ledley King 25m 9. Leighton Baines 15m 10. Michael Carrick 14m 11.Terry Butcher 16m 12. Alex Ferguson 10m 13. Sandy Jardine 23m [REMOVED: Gary Pallister]

Crappy - 259m 1. Irwin 42m, 2. Rush 30m 3.Wayne Rooney 20m 4. Bale 30m 5. Rio Ferdinand 55m 6. Jim Baxter 47m 7. Andy Goram 10m 8. Phil Neal 15m 9. Patsy Gallacher 10m

Bids for Round 7 - Non PL players(No appearance in English PL) /2 nominations per person

Peter Lorimer - Raees 10m 11.33
McCracken - Annah 10m 12:19
Hardwick - Annah 10m 12:26

Frank McLintock
Gary Stevens
Steve Coppell
Ally McCoist

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I had young and moreton marked out ages ago and mentioned the fact Gio was going to come back with a vengeance. Baxter was another.. slim jim was a genius, similar in style to Van Hangem (if that's spelt right?) from what I've seen. There is a 1967 england v scotland game on YouTube.. quality game.
Hang 'em high!

Van Hanegem - yes. Incredible how many brilliant wingers (or various forms of side midfielders) Scotland has produced - all the way up to the 80s at least.

I reckon you did very well in the end, with Jones (who is one hell of a player) and Lorimer (who offers a different kind of wide play).

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Annah, just so you know, I think I'll steal McCracken off ya. Just for kicks.

Nah. Did contemplate him, though, when he was nominated. But I'll have mercy on ya - plus I intended from the very beginning to have ten men before the snakes - and then blow the rest there. I might have gone for Young if Gio hadn't been in for him (turns out I may have dropped a bollock there, but I couldn't possibly know how far either he or raees would go). So, I'll stick to that scheme and see where it takes me.

Unless something mighty tasty appears in the next round, of course.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I was fecking lucky with Carey. 16m was the highest I could go. Chuffed though. Viv Anderson - Terry - Adams -Carey is solid.
I don't like your defence compared to others in the draft but I think you've done remarkably well in other areas... meridith and the welsh golden boy were great bargain signings.