All time ODI Draft

Reinforcement rules

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Proposed Rules:

Reinforcements:

To proceed as per skills theme,
- The 12 players per squad will be maintained.
- You cannot have more than 2 nationalities in your squad.

So it'll be pick one/drop one. Does not need to be a one-to-one match. You can pick an AUS player and drop and NZ player as long as the overall dynamic is maintained.

Note: Incorrect dynamics at end of reinforcement round (after all picks in that reinforcement round are completed) will be reset (or) the new player picked in reinforcement be swapped with a legacy (quite average) player of mods choosing from the pool. If there are 2 picks for QF, you can have an imbalanced (more than 2 nationalities) after 1st pick...but that should be regularized at the 2nd pick. If not penalty will be imposed at mods discretion.

QF:
2 player can be picked in reinforcement round.
To balance out R1, the original drafting order will be reversed. Snake similar to R1 drafting format.

SF:
1 player can be picked as reinforcement round.
Sheep format. Two rounds. All 4 players will submit 1 pick and 1 block. For your pick to be successful, it should not be blocked or concurrently picked by another manager. Successful picks will be announced immediately. If you are successful in R1 you cannot participate in R2. Cannot block the same player twice.

Finals:
Sheep format. Two rounds. Both players will submit 1 pick and 1 block. For your pick to be successful, it should not be blocked or concurrently picked by another manager. Successful picks will be announced immediately. If you are successful in R1 you cannot participate in R2.

Ground/Venue:

There will be 6 venues randomly chosen and I'll post a description of pitch conditions in this thread. When draw is made the playing conditions will also be announced. During the match, only the description will be provided. You can extrapolate and make arguments but no actual country played in stats can be considered relevant.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Nice solution there. Draw the venues yourself and don't reveal ground or country names but elaborate on the conditions so that players skillsets can be talked about in relation to the conditions and that reflects the situation better.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How about 2 players in all the remaining reinforcements? Do we really want a final that includes round 7-8 picks?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
How about 2 players in all the remaining reinforcements? Do we really want a final that includes round 7-8 picks?
I'd avoid that to not have all an GOAT finals. In previous drafts the discussions tend to drop off when both teams are near perfect. So 1 player should suffice for SF and Finals, imo.

Your team doesn't have to be perfect. Just better than your opponent!

Skills

Snitch
Ideally the best team drafted at the start should win, reinforcements should be just there to plug gaps.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'd avoid that to not have all an GOAT finals. In previous drafts the discussions tend to drop off when both teams are near perfect. So 1 player should suffice for SF and Finals, imo.

Your team doesn't have to be perfect. Just better than your opponent!
Just feel that the round 7-8 picks will be brushed aside when they come up against the GOATs. People will talk about mismatchs and it will come down to whoever has the better GOATs anyway.

But I haven't followed many drafts before so what would I know.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just feel that the round 7-8 picks will be brushed aside when they come up against the GOATs. People will talk about mismatchs and it will come down to whoever has the better GOATs anyway.

But I haven't followed many drafts before so what would I know.
If you make it to the finals, you'd have made 4 reinforcements. You can use it to upgrade your #3 pick or #8 pick..it's all the managers choice. No way we can ensure that #8 picks are all eliminated.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Proposed Rules:

Reinforcements:

To proceed as per skills theme,
- The 12 players per squad will be maintained.
- You cannot have more than 2 nationalities in your squad.

So it'll be pick one/drop one. Does not need to be a one-to-one match. You can pick an AUS player and drop and NZ player as long as the overall dynamic is maintained.

Note: Incorrect dynamics at end of reinforcement round (after all picks in that reinforcement round are completed) will be reset (or) the new player picked in reinforcement be swapped with a legacy (quite average) player of mods choosing from the pool. If there are 2 picks for QF, you can have an imbalanced (more than 2 nationalities) after 1st pick...but that should be regularized at the 2nd pick. If not penalty will be imposed at mods discretion.

QF:
2 player can be picked in reinforcement round.
To balance out R1, the original drafting order will be reversed. Snake similar to R1 drafting format.

SF:
Sheep format. Two rounds. All 4 players will submit 1 pick and 1 block. For your pick to be successful, it should not be blocked or concurrently picked by another manager. Successful picks will be announced immediately. If you are successful in R1 you cannot participate in R2. Cannot block the same player twice.

Finals:
Sheep format. Two rounds. Both players will submit 1 pick and 1 block. For your pick to be successful, it should not be blocked or concurrently picked by another manager. Successful picks will be announced immediately. If you are successful in R1 you cannot participate in R2.

Ground/Venue:

There will be 6 venues randomly chosen and I'll post a description of pitch conditions in this thread. When draw is made the playing conditions will also be announced. During the match, only the description will be provided. You can extrapolate and make arguments but no actual country played in stats can be considered relevant.
Sounds good to me. For the QF reinforcements I think the order should be reversed for first round and randomised for the second round.

Norris

Happy to help if needed EAP, though I think you have it all sorted.

Norris

Might I suggest that the drafting be randomized again for the QF's ? Seems a little unfair for the teams in the middle to almost inevitably lose the players they wanted just because they happen to right in the middle. From what I noticed, teams either ends of the Snake seemed to recruit well and those that were almost dead or close to dead in the middle had a little more trouble. Just an opinion. Seems only fair to everyone participating.

KM

No chance that the Red Viper can comeback from a 8 vote deficit. Might as well start the reinforcement round. We are already late.

KM

Might I suggest that the drafting be randomized again for the QF's ? Seems a little unfair for the teams in the middle to almost inevitably lose the players they wanted just because they happen to right in the middle. From what I noticed, teams either ends of the Snake seemed to recruit well and those that were almost dead or close to dead in the middle had a little more trouble. Just an opinion. Seems only fair to everyone participating.
I'm okay with this too. Actually I think this sounds more fair IMO.

Skizzo

It would be more unfair to randomize it, since technically, those in the middle got their first choices ahead of us poor guys at the end of the snake :(

Norris

It would be more unfair to randomize it, since technically, those in the middle got their first choices ahead of us poor guys at the end of the snake :(
From what I observed, that wasn't quite the case.
For example, for a team in the bottom three of the draft, suppose the first pick has already gone, they can either get their second or third choice and the first pick almost immediately from the way up. Essentially they filled two positions with a very very good player and one good player. Those dead in the centre usually have to settle for the 2nd or 3rd picks in both cases, leaving them with 2 good players for two key positions.

KM

Nothing to do with the fact that six people get to pick in front of you for reinforcements right? :p
Four actually!

But yeah I will be a real loser in this round if I get the fifth pick in the first round and then after randomising get the last pick. So technically I'll be screwed.

Skizzo

From what I observed, that wasn't quite the case.
For example, for a team in the bottom three of the draft, suppose the first pick has already gone, they can either get their second or third choice and the first pick almost immediately from the way up. Essentially they filled two positions with a very very good player and one good player. Those dead in the centre usually have to settle for the 2nd or 3rd picks in both cases, leaving them with 2 good players for two key positions.
It tends to balance out throughout the draft though. They get better picks than the bottom on the way down, and better picks than the top on the way back up.

Varun

Staff
Agree with Ijazz, randomising the entire order would be fair.

Btw, the middle ones always have it worst. The ones at the end get the 1st pick of the next round which always helps especially as it helps plan the team better.

Skizzo

Four actually!

But yeah I will be a real loser in this round if I get the fifth pick in the first round and then after randomising get the last pick. So technically I'll be screwed.
MJJ, Crappy, me, NM and Samid right? So we were both wrong :lol:

I agree that randomizing halfway through would be unfair, though.

Skizzo

Agree with Ijazz, randomising the entire order would be fair.

Btw, the middle ones always have it worst. The ones at the end get the 1st pick of the next round which always helps especially as it helps plan the team better.
It might be fair, unless it ends up that one of the guys from the top of the list who got top tier players, then suddenly get first dibs on reinforcements too. Getting an almost last pick in the draft, and then on reinforcemts as well would put teams at a disadvantage also.

prath92

I dont think it actually matters here. Its just replenishment pool and different people have different needs. Some may want keepers, fast bowlers, Spinners openers middle order batsmen and so on. There are many quality players that you are bound to get at least one. Plus the nationality thing makes it difficult for most to pick new players. For Instance theres no way a lot of can pick up players of certain nationalities without letting quality options go. If we want to pick an Indian player for instance, we have to sacrifice Kohli or Dhoni so that will restrict us. If I'm not wrong, those sacrificed players get added to the pool so the later players have more options? Not like any of them are sheep players either.

Varun

Staff
It might be fair, unless it ends up that one of the guys from the top of the list who got top tier players, then suddenly get first dibs on reinforcements too. Getting an almost last pick in the draft, and then on reinforcemts as well would put teams at a disadvantage also.
Yeah, well, there's so sure shot way of ensuring everyone's happy. This leaves it to chance atleast.
I dont think it actually matters here. Its just replenishment pool and different people have different needs. Some may want keepers, fast bowlers, Spinners openers middle order batsmen and so on. There are many quality players that you are bound to get at least one. Plus the nationality thing makes it difficult for most to pick new players. For Instance theres no way a lot of can pick up players of certain nationalities without letting quality options go. If we want to pick an Indian player for instance, we have to sacrifice Kohli or Dhoni so that will restrict us. If I'm not wrong, those sacrificed players get added to the pool so the later players have more options? Not like any of them are sheep players either.
No. You let go of whoever you want when your turn to pick comes. Not before.

prath92

Yeah, well, there's so sure shot way of ensuring everyone's happy. This leaves it to chance atleast.

No. You let go of whoever you want when your turn to pick comes. Not before.
My question was if we let go of Kohli for instance, that would mean the next player to pick could pick Kohli right? That gives an advantage to the later players.

PS- can we also keep a rule that @MJJ cannot replace bermudan whale? He seems to love him and no one else wants him. :p

MJJ

My question was if we let go of Kohli for instance, that would mean the next player to pick could pick Kohli right? That gives an advantage to the later players.

PS- can we also keep a rule that @MJJ cannot replace bermudan whale? He seems to love him and no one else wants him. :p
It will be taken in consideration. I dont think our gameplan will function without the whale.

Varun

Staff

Should be.

MJJ

Order
  1. Samid
  2. NM
  3. Skizzo
  4. Crappy
  5. MJJ
  6. KM
  7. Aldo
  8. Harshad
Pool
  1. Edgar Allan Pillow: 1.Viv Richards 2. R. Hadlee 3. Dean Jones 4. M.Marshall 5. Dravid 6. G Swann 7. A Jadeja 8. G flower 9. G Marsh 10. C Harris 11. Aaqib Javed 12. B McMillan
  2. RedTiger - LeChuck: 1.A Gilchrist 2. Hashim Amla 3. J Miandad 4. Vaas 5. Kumble 6. Mitchell Johnson 7. R Sarwan 8. Misbah 9. S Styris 10. Stuart Broad 11. Boeta Dippenaar 12. J Franklin
  3. VP: 1. Wasim Akram 2. D. Lillee 3. Brendon McCullum 4. Michael Clarke 5. Afridi 6. Mahela 7. Botham 8. Harbhajan Singh 9. S. Gavaskar 10. Gooch 11. Richie Richardson 12. D. Cullinan
  4. Mani - Ijazz17: 1. Glenn McGrath 2. Hayden 3. Mohammed Yousuf 4. Alec Stewart 5. Kane Williamson 6.H.Cronje 7. J. Anderson 8. Raina 9. Jacob Oram 10. Fanie Di Villiers 11. Mushtaq Ahmed 12. Russel Arnold
  5. PaulScholes18: 1. Kumar Sangakara 2. Sehwag 3. Holding 4. Rohit Sharma 5. A Mendis 6. Eoin Morgan 7. James Faulkner 8. Du Plessis 9. Carl Rackemann 10. K. Pollard 11. Hafeez 12. AJ Hall
  6. Boycott: 1. Waqar Younis 2. Ganguly 3. Malinga 4. Walsh 5. Gibbs 6. Ross Taylor 7. Q. De Kock 8. Damien Martyn 9. Hogg 10. Agarkar 11. Saleem Malik 12. Steve Tikolo
  7. The Red Viper: 1. Pollock 2. Klusener 3. Michael Hussey 4. Desmond Haynes 5. Greg Chappell 6. Vettori 7. Trescothick 8. Srinath 9. Bob Willis 10. Arjuna Ranatunga 11. Mushfiqur Rahim 12. Roger Harper
  8. Skills: 1. Ricky Ponting 2. Kapil Dev 3. Saqlain Mushtaq 4. Andy Flower 5. Azharuddin 6. Ntini 7. Nathan Astle 8. Ian Bishop 9. Atapattu 10. M. Samuels 11. Pringle 12. Aaron Finch

@Samid go go go!

KM

So we are not randomising the order then?

Norris

OK fair enough. Snake stays. But those that are sacrificed go into the pool as well. So how do you want to do it? Buy one and sell one ? Or Inform prior to the draft starts who are the players you will be letting go.
I think the second would be better seeing as for some on the second turn, it won't really matter who they let go off (assuming every one let's go of their R12 pick in the first round).

And @MJJ, Samid will anyways take time (Assuming he's asleep), so we might as well wait till the final game is over out of respect to the two participants.