All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Edgar Allan Pillow PM me your write up as soon as you are online, I'll start the game.

I've already PMd mine to Skizzo and he can confirm you later that I haven't changed anything.
I can do it as well. Not that I wouldn't trust you of course, just thought I offer my help :)

Enigma_87

You know who
@Aldo I'll send you the write up tonight so you can start our game tomorrow.

I'll be around in the next hour or so if you guys need assistance in setting up your game.

Edit: scratch that I see Balu is on it.

Moby

Dick
I can do it as well. Not that I wouldn't trust you of course, just thought I offer my help :)
@Aldo I'll send you the write up tonight so you can start our game tomorrow.

I'll be around in the next hour or so if you guys need assistance in setting up your game.

Edit: scratch that I see Balu is on it.
Thanks.

EAP send it to them as well. I'll add both of you to the convo.

RedTiger

Half mast
Might be a little busier for me, but should still be able to be around for it. Whatever day works best for you mate. You'll have the newborn :)
Thanks skizzo.

I had everything planned out, both my kids would be out the house by the time im 45 So I could go round the world and re-live my lifr... No I'll be a full time parent until I'm 60:(

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Thanks skizzo.

I had everything planned out, both my kids would be out the house by the time im 45 So I could go round the world and re-live my lifr... No I'll be a full time parent until I'm 60:(
Well at least you'll have these fantasy drafts to keep you occupied until you hit 60 :). Hope everything works out okay mate, and I'm good to play the match anytime you can squeeze it in.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Our oldest player probably requires a personal introduction

Leonidas Da Silva

The second son of Samba, after a certain still unpicked player, the Black Diamond/The Rubber man was voted as the 8th best Brazilian player of the 20th century by IFFHS - a point ahead of both Nilton Santos and Ronaldo. An odd inclusion some would say but when the Brazilans themselves choose their legends he is common sense. Both Folha de São Paolo and Placar Magazine[1997] included him in their first eleven when they collected an all-time Brazil team. His phenomenal goalscoring of a goal per game over a 13 year period, both for the National team and for his different club sides highlight his efficiency.

He won 8 times the stated championship was named Best player in the 1938 , 1940 , 1943 , 1945 , 1946 , 1948 and the 1949 Championships. His most memorable moments came at the 1938 World Cup where Leonidas showed phenomenal class being the top scorer with 7 goals and until 2010 the only MVP not being in one of the finalist teams, where the legends Sarosi and Meazza clashed together.

His most memorable moments came at the 1938 World Cup where Leonidas showed phenomenal class being the top scorer with 7 goals and until 2010 the only MVP not being in one of the finalist teams.

In Placar's "100 Craques do Século", rating the 100 greatest players in the history, Leonidas is ranked as a mighty respectable number 28.

When the Guerin Sportivo[Italy] published their list "I 50 Grandi del Secolo by Adalberto Bortolotti" Leonidas was placed even further up at place 26.

The words of Diego Lucero, an eye-witness, give portrait of Da Silvas character and breakthrough performance that is more precise than any. "As a player he was simply phenomenal. A classy yet effective dribbler, he cut through the enemy defense like lightning, and he shot at the enemy goal with the precision and power of a born goal-scorer.

The things Leonidas did in that first half of that historic game against Poland on July 5 in Strasbourg can be ranked among the most beautiful and brilliant plays in soccer history - artistic, rhythmic plays that carry the secret of soccer magic, and a grace that make the ball speak. Leonidas was a flash of joy and glory that easily danced through the entrenched Polish defense.

In that first half he made three goals, but then a deluge of rain set in, and the Polish managed to transform Brazils lead to a 4-3 lead into their favor. Then, Leonidas, living up to his name became a lion in battle, wreaking havoc in the mud on the players from the sunless land. At one point his foot got stuck in the mud. "The black Diamond" took his foot out of the shoe and kicked the ball with all his might to tie the game. In the end, Brazil won 6-5."

"Leonidas was the more phenomenal for being so small a center forward, though he began as an inside right. Of him, it was said by Jerry Wienstein, "He was as fast as a greyhound, as agile as a cat, and seemed not to be made of flesh and bones at all, but entirely of rubber. He was tireless in pursuit of the ball, fearless, and constantly on the move. He never conceded defeat. He shot from any angle and any position, and compensated for his small height with exceptionally supple, unbelievable contortions, and impossible acrobatics."

Write-up by @Annahnomoss

P.S. Google even made a doodle to celebrate his 100th birthday

harms

Staff
PLAYER PROFILES

František Plánička

One of the finest goalkeepers of all-time, IFFHS elected him the best Czech goalkeeper – and ninth best overall – of the twentieth century. Not only he had outstanding reflexes and shot-stopping ability, he was also a revolutionary. Unlike most of his contemporaries he wasn’t glued to the line – he dominated the whole box, catching crosses and fearlessly throwing himself into the legs of the opposition’s forwards. We usually associate this kind of a playing style with more modern goalkeepers – Schmeichel, Kahn etc., but František Plánička did it in the 30's. In the game against Brazil at 1938 World Cup he broke his arm but stayed on the pitch and finished the game.

8 domestic league titles

6 domestic cups

1 Mitropa Cup

1934 World Cup runner-up

9th best IFFHS goalkeeper of the century

Roger Byrne

It’s not like he needs introduction on this forum – a regular inclusion in an All-time Manchester United XI, the original “Captain Marvel”, Roger Byrne was the legendary captain of the Basby Babes. Not the most talented player in that side he achieved his legendary status because of his hardworking nature, mental strength and tactical intelligence. He also was very versatile – despite being originally a left back (rough equivalent of today’s tucked in left back) he also had a successful stint as an outside left, scoring 7 goals in 6 games during United’s title run. He was also a regular for his country, having collected 33 consecutive caps for England. He died 2 days before his 29th birthday in the Munich air disaster, at the peak of his powers.

3 domestic league titles

1 domestic cup runner-up

Dani Alves

Another name that is familiar to everybody here, Alves was the best player for a very successful Sevilla side, earning himself a 32,5 million transfer to Barcelona (highest transfer fee for a defender at the time). There he stepped up his game even further and became the crucial part of one of the best club sides in history with his unique role of a fullback/wing forward. He instantly clicked with Messi, creating an absolutely devastating partnership, which earned him a well-deserved place in the company of the best ever attacking fullbacks, like Roberto Carlos and Facchetti.

5 domestic league titles

1 state championship

6 domestic cups

3 Champions leagues

2 UEFA Cups

4 UEFA Super Cups

3 FIFA Club World Cups

5 domestic Supercaps

1 Copa America

2 Confederations Cups

5 ESM Team of the year

5 FIFPro World XI

4 UEFA Team of the year

UEFA Cup most valuable player

UEFA Cup Final Man of the Match

Guido Buchwald

Strong and reliable defender who played over 500 games in Bundesliga and 74 games for Germany, winning the World Cup in 1990. His career had a few defining moments. First of all, it was arguably the best game in his life – the World Cup final in 1990 when he faced the one and only Diego Maradona. It was there, at the biggest stage possible, where Buchwald showed the whole world what he’s capable of. He successfully man-marked Maradona out of the game, which earned him a humorous nickname “Diego”. And then the league – he didn’t play for Bayern Munich, but he managed to win 2 Bundesligas with Stuttgart, scoring the Golden Goal in 1991/92 season.

World Cup winner

2 domestic league titles

1 domestic cup runner-up

Robert Jonquet

An elegant and reliable defender, Jonquet played for a very successful Reims and France sides of the 50’s. He played as a classic libero, which is a lot like today’s ball-playing center back – without careless runs forward but with intelligent positioning, outstanding technique and calmness under pressure. Usually he was partnered with a more physical center back, which is exactly how we plan to use him. He played more than 500 league games for Reims – arguably the second best European side of the 50’s, who were unlucky not to win European Cup due to Real Madrid’s dominance, providing the defensive foundation for the likes of Kopa and Fontaine. The same players provided a core for French national team in the 50’s, and one of the biggest “what if” moments is directly connected to Jonquet. In the semi-final of 1958 France played against Brazil, they just equalized and felt that it is within their power to win the game. But then Vava injured Jonquet – most of the sources say that he broke his leg in two places, leaving France a man down (substitutions weren’t allowed at this point); without Jonquet organizing the defence, France collapsed and eventually lost due to a goal from Didi and a hat-trick from a young Pele. Until this day people in France speculate, what would’ve happened if Jonquet were to play the full game – maybe one of the most talented French generations would’ve achieved more than the third place.

5 domestic league titles

2 domestic cups

3 domestic Supercups

2 times European Cup runner-up

1 Latin Cup (European Cup predecessor)

Clodoaldo

Until this day Clodoaldo is remembered not only as a member of the classic Brazil 1970 side, but as one of the most unique defensive midfielders ever. Like many before and after him, he possessed a high level of stamina, work-rate and tactical intelligence – you won’t become a world class defensive midfielder without those qualities. But something separated him and made him an unforgettable part of the football folklore – his dribbling ability and exquisite ball-retention skills. One of the most iconic moments in the World Cup history – Carlos Alberto’s goal in the 1970 final – started with a piece of magic from Clodoaldo. The defensive midfielder dribbled around 4 Italian players before passing the ball forward. We wanted to create a team that would play beautiful and positive football – and Clodoaldo is probably the best defensive midfielder for our “Joga Bonito” style.

World Cup winner

1 Roca cup

5 state championships

1 domestic league title

Igor Netto

Netto is another player with unique playing style. One-club man and the Soviet legend, he combined two different philosophies; Spartak Moscow, his boyhood club and a side that he will forever be associated with, was renown for it’s trademark game, which included focus on possession, short passing, combination play and constant movement. There is even a Russian football term from that time, “Spartak’s laces”, where Spartak’s game is compared to knitting, creating a web with their countless passes. Soviet Union, arguably the most successful European side of the 60’s, was the personification of Communist ideas in sports – it was a generation of selfless, hardworking and versatile players, who were ready to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the team and the country. There is a well-known theory that the origin of Total Football was behind the Iron Curtain, that the same philosophy, applied to a talented Dutch generation of the 70’s gave us the Clockwork Orange.

Netto was the crucial part for both sides as he combined his world-class short passing game and dribbling with a true box-to-box engine and versatility (he played all over the left flank, from the left back to the outside left position, before settling as a central midfielder), creating the perfect player for this position.

1 European Championship

1 Olympic Championship

5 domestic league titles

3 domestic cups

Zizinho

A true great of the game, Zizinho is considered by most the best Brazil player before Pele, who named him as his main inspiration and the best player that he has ever seen (granted, Pele has about 5 of them). A complete attacker he mostly played in the inside-right position, though his playing style were more of an attacking midfielder than the striker. He was capable of playing anywhere from central midfield to the right flank and a center forward position, dictating play, dribbling and scoring for fun (his career gpg ratio is around 1 in 2). His hour came in 1950, at the World Cup that was hosted by Brazil. He shone brighter than any other star in the tournament, producing a legendary performance against Yugoslavia (considered by many Brazilians as the best ever performance in selecao shirt) and winning the Golden Ball (best player of the World Cup) award. Sadly, Ghiggia’s goal meant that any achievements from this mundial were overshadowed by the loss and Zizinho, instead of becoming a nation’s hero and securing the place in the highest tier of football greats, became one of the forgotten outcasts. Nevertheless, when IFFHS conducted a poll on the greatest player of the century, he was voted as the 4th best Brazilian footballer and the 10th best South American player of the XX century.

6 state championships

World Cup runner-up

4 South American championship runner-up

Atlantic Cup

FIFA World Cup Golden Ball

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team

Brazilian player of the century - 4th place

South American player of the century – 10th place

harms

Staff
Piet Keizer

Piet Keizer is someone whose reception was heavily influenced by the modern superstar system. Once Johan Cruyff was (rightfully) chosen as the best Dutch player of his generation, the gap between him and a few other contenders began to grow. Other standout players of his generation, most notably Van Hanegem and Keizer, who matched his level of influence for prolonged periods of time, became somewhat inferior players in public opinion. Here’s why we shouldn’t discount some statements about how close they were to Cruyff and his level – despite them not matching his career peak they weren’t as far away from his level as the tier system would let us believe. Keizer, for example, had better shot technique (which is why it was him and not Cruyff taking free kicks while both were on the pitch) and a more accurate cross on him. A sublime player, who had everything that you want from a winger – he was blessed with god-like dribbling ability, was equally capable of crossing from out wide and cutting in and scoring, he was the reason behind Cruyff’s departure to Barcelona (after the secret vote he was elected the team captain ahead of Cruyff, which was the last straw for Johan). That led to a famous paradoxical statement by Nico Sheepmaker, Dutch football journalist: “Cruyff is the best, but Keizer is the better one”.

World Cup runner-up

6 domestic league titles

3 European Cups

4 domestic cups

Intertoto Cup

2 UEFA Super Cup

Intercontinental Cup

Leonidas da Silva

The second son of Samba, after a certain still unpicked player, the Black Diamond/The Rubber man was voted as the 8th best Brazilian player of the 20th century by IFFHS - a point ahead of both Nilton Santos and Ronaldo. An odd inclusion some would say but when the Brazilans themselves choose their legends he is common sense. Both Folha de São Paolo and Placar Magazine[1997] included him in their first eleven when they collected an all-time Brazil team. His phenomenal goalscoring of a goal per game over a 13 year period, both for the National team and for his different club sides highlight his efficiency.

"Leonidas was the more phenomenal for being so small a center forward, though he began as an inside right. Of him, it was said by Jerry Wienstein, "He was as fast as a greyhound, as agile as a cat, and seemed not to be made of flesh and bones at all, but entirely of rubber. He was tireless in pursuit of the ball, fearless, and constantly on the move. He never conceded defeat. He shot from any angle and any position, and compensated for his small height with exceptionally supple, unbelievable contortions, and impossible acrobatics."

8 state championships

World Cup 3rd place

FIFA World Cup Golden Ball

FIFA World Cup Golden Boot

Brazilian player of the century (8th place)

Eduard Streltsov

The Golden Boy of the Soviet football, Eduard Streltsov is, without a doubt, the most talented player to ever come from the USSR. I already wrote a big introduction post and will probably continue with some gifs later, so I won’t bore you with the same stories – I’ll just tell you about his style of play. Before imprisonment he was a force of nature – fast, strong, agile striker blessed with an outstanding technique and a great vision. He sounds like a perfect player – well, he was. Equally at ease as a supportive striker and as a focal point of the attack, not only has he scored, but he also loved to include others in the game. I see the resemblance in Cantona and Bergkamp, who were so much more that the ordinary strikers – but he had a much superior physique. “There are 11 players in the team and we are all communicating by passes. Passing connects us. You can fool your opponent with a beautiful dribble; you can make a showy shot or an impressive jump. You can even run beautifully. You can and you should. But the most important thing in football is passing. Pass should be gentle, accurate, timely. It should be smart, unexpected, cunning” – in the movie “Looking for Eric” the King says to a fan that the best moment in his career was not a goal, but an assist to Irwin – I really believe that they shared the same view of how the game should be played.

I’ll end it with the quote from the Sir Alf Ramsey just before the 1958 World Cup: “Pele and Streltsov are very similar, though the Brazilian have a marginally better technique and the Russian is superior physically”. Despite being just 20 years old at the time, Streltsov was already nominated for Ballon D’Or 2 times – he finished 13th in 1956 and 7th in 1957.

1 Olympic championship

1 domestic league title

1 domestic cup

2 times Best USSR footballer of the year

Alcides Ghiggia

“Only three players managed to silence the Maracana: the Pope, Frank Sinatra and me”. This famous saying by Alcides Ghiggia is referring to the most important game of his life – the World Cup final of 1950 that was played in front of a roaring Brazilian crowd of 200 thousand people. Ghiggia, fast and tricky right-winger, is one of the biggest legends in the history of Uruguayan football. Never a prolific goalscorer, he stepped up when it was needed the most, and he became part of the history with his World Cup performance. He scored in every game of the tournament that he appeared in, made an assist and scored a goal in the final game that was destined to end with Brazil victory. Despite all the odds, Uruguay, lead by their captain Varela won that game and were victorious in their World Cup campaign. Even after 50 years, when Ghiggia decided to visit Brazil, the border officer asked him, if he was “the Ghiggia”, telling him that the whole Brazil will never forget his involvement in Brazil’s biggest football disappointment. After the World Cup he moved from Penarol to Roma and instantly became giallorossi’s idol, despite some controversial stories about his personal life.

World Cup winner

3 domestic league titles

Fairs Cup

Golden Foot

World Cup Golden Goal

harms

Staff
You all are scheduled to play tomorrow and I haven't received anything from any of you if I'm not wrong.
Our write-up is ready, I'm just waiting for Annah to confirm a few minor details. Will send it to you before going to sleep anyway.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Aldo I'm nearly done, will post profiles here and send it over. Can we have it a midday kick off 3pm? Won't be available much in the morning.

Moby

Dick
Also, I will be travelling much of second half of tomorrow and the first half of Thursday and might not have internet for a fair while. So the game on Thursday would probably have to started by someone else. Sorry for the inconvenience.

harms

Staff
@Enigma_87
@Aldo
3 p.m. London time?
Tbf I would prefer to start a little earlier than that - it would be 5 p.m. in Moscow time and I will be going home from work around 6, probably just as the real discussion will begin.

Moby

Dick
@Enigma_87
@Aldo
3 p.m. London time?
Tbf I would prefer to start a little earlier than that - it would be 5 p.m. in Moscow time and I will be going home from work around 6, probably just as the real discussion will begin.
I'll be online after 8 am GMT or perhaps earlier so you decide a time between yourselves and let me know.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I. THE ORANGE SQUAD - GOALKEEPER

Manuel NEUER - 'Sweeper-Keeper' - Career peak 2011-15 - 2014 FIFA WC Winner

The best in this role nowadays in terms of technical skills and read of the game. His ability to play as a sweeper allows my defenders to bomb forward when the team has possession of the ball. He thus stays higher up the field, and does the job of a sweeper by clearing long balls or defence splitting balls which could cause damage. His distribution will make happy my wingers.

Club
Schalke 04

• DFB-Pokal: 2010–11
  • DFB-Ligapokal: 2005
  • DFB-Junior-Cup: 2005
Bayern Munich

• Bundesliga: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15
  • DFB-Pokal: 2012–13, 2013–14
  • DFL-Supercup: 2012
  • UEFA Champions League: 2012–13
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2013
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2013
International
Germany

• FIFA World Cup: 2014
  • UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship: 2009
Individual

• Fritz Walter Medal U19 Silver Medal 2005
  • Silbernes Lorbeerblatt: 2010
  • Footballer of the Year in Germany: 2011, 2014
  • ESM Team of the Year: 2011–12, 2012–13
  • UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2012
  • 2013 UEFA Champions League Final: Fans' Man of the Match
  • IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper: 2013, 2014, 2015
  • FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2013, 2014, 2015
  • UEFA Team of the Year: 2013, 2014, 2015
  • UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2013–14
  • UEFA Best Player in Europe Award Second place: 2014
  • FIFA World Cup Golden Glove: 2014
  • FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2014
  • FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2014
  • L'Équipe's player of the year: 2014
  • AIPS Athlete of the Year: 2014
  • AIPS Europe Athlete of the Year – Frank Taylor Trophy: 2014
  • L'Équipe Champion of Champions: 2014 Runner-up
  • FIFA Ballon d'Or: 3rd place 2014

Neuer pulled off a Cryuff turn and managed to deceive an oncoming striker.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
II. THE ORANGE SQUAD - DOWNCAST - DEFENDERS

Captain Frank DE BOER - CB - Sweeper - 1998 FIFA WC 3rd place / Champions League victory in 1995 winner + Runner-up in 1996
Most capped outfield player in the history of the Netherlands national football team with 112 caps. He captained the Oranje to the semi-finals of both the 1998 FIFA World Cup and UEFA Euro 2000. Excellent sweeper who also played for Ajax, Barcelona. He is now a very successful at Ajax Amsterdam. Given the unavailability of Krol, excellent player emblematic of my philosophy.

Player
Club
Ajax

• Eredivisie (5):1989–90, 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96, 1997–98
  • KNVB Cup (2): 1992–93, 1997–98
  • Johan Cruijff Shield (3): 1993, 1994, 1995
  • UEFA Champions League: 1994–95
  • UEFA Cup: 1991–92
  • UEFA Super Cup: 1995
  • Intercontinental Cup: 1995
Barcelona
  • La Liga: 1998–99
Al Rayyan

• Emir of Qatar Cup 2005
International
Netherlands

• FIFA World Cup Fourth Place: 1998

Barry HULSHOFF - CB - Stopper - European Cup Victories in 1971, 1972 and 1973

Part of the golden era of Ajax Amsterdam in the late 1960s to the beginning 1970s. He is powerful runner and magnificent in the air though the most significant qualities he brought to the Total Football philosophy of that side were shared by my other players - flexibility, technical virtuosity and the spatial awareness fundamental to making it work. A knee injury ruled him out of the 1974 tournament, giving Rinus Michels a conundrum he resolved in unique style by improvising with a midfielder, Arie Haan, in the role intended for Hulshoff. And very well he did too but there are still those who maintain that the final would have played out differently if Gerd Muller had Hulshoff to contend with.

Eric ABIDAL - Left-Back - 2006 FIFA WC Runner-up + Champions League victories in 2009 & 2011
In line with my strategy. Tactically intelligent and versatile defender, capable of featuring as a CB or LB due to his positional sense and his ability to read the game. In his prime, he was very quick and strong which, along with his technical ability and distribution, allowed him to assist the team offensively as well as defensively.

Club
Lyon

• Ligue 1: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07
  • Trophée des champions: 2005, 2006, 2007
  • Coupe de la Ligue: Runner-up 2006–07
Barcelona
  • La Liga: 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13
  • Copa del Rey: 2008–09, 2011–12; Runner-up 2010–11
  • Supercopa de España: 2009, 2010, 2011; Runner-up 2012
  • UEFA Champions League: 2008–09, 2010–11
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011
Olympiacos
  • Superleague Greece: 2014–15
  • Greek Football Cup: 2014–15
International

• FIFA World Cup: Runner-up 2006
Individual
  • Ligue 1 Team of the Year: 2005, 2006, 2007
  • UEFA Team of the Year: 2007
  • LFP Defender of the Year: 2011
  • Globe Soccer Awards: Player Career Award 2012
  • Premio Internazionale Giacinto Facchetti: 2013

Jenő BUZANSZKY - Right-Back - Olympic Champions 1952 + Central European Champions in 1953 + 1954 FIFA WC Runner-up

During the 1950s, he was a member of the legendary Hungarian national team known as the Mighty Magyars. Other members of the team included Ferenc Puskás, Zoltán Czibor, Sándor Kocsis, József Bozsik and Nándor Hidegkuti.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
III. THE ORANGE SQUAD - MIDFIELDERS

Svatopluk PLUSKAL- Defensive Midfielder - Career peak 1958-1962
He was a world-class defensive midfielder who could down to play as center-back as well. Thanks to his important contribution to the success in World Cup at Chile, Pluskal received recognition on the international stage. On October 23, 1963, he was a member of the "Rest of the World" team that played England at Wembley in front of 100,000 fans, to celebrate 100 years of English football. Next year he played for the "Europe" team in Belgrade. Pluskal's career was ended by a knee injury in 1967. In the league he played 282 matches. He was a universal footballer, a good header of the ball, and he was famous for his slide tackles, with which he cleanly took the ball from his opponents. Although players often protested against this style of play, referees usually considered it to be within the rules. During his football career, this tireless fighter became an impenetrable shield, able to concentrate on what was needed. Off the field, he helped the team with his easy humour. Some interesting posts below.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-euro-draft-sf-harms-vs-joga-bonito.404368/page-2#post-17480042

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-uefa-euro-fantasy-draft.403052/page-63#post-17509624

Caps : 56 Games
World Cup Participation : 1954, 1958, 1962 (8 Games)
Club Honours : 8 Times Czechosloavkian League
International Honours : 1962 FIFA World Cup Runner-Up

Osvaldo César ARDILES - Box-to-Box / Central Holding player - 1978 FIFA WC Winner +1984 UEFA Cup
“Ossie” and “The Python” Osvaldo Ardiles was rated by so many as the finest foreigner in English league during 1980s. He was a competitive and skillful central midfielder. He snaked like dribbling skill and possessed great passing abilities. Because of Tottenham's perceived defensive weakness, He was signed to play for club after winning World Cup 1978 with Argentina as the center in the midfield area and being the most important role to control defensive and offensive game. He notably left England for a period as a result of the outbreak of the Falklands War in 1982, thus missing most of the 1982–83 season. In 2008, He was induced into Tottenham Hotspurs Hall of Fame.

Caps : 63 Games
World Cup Participation : 1978, 1982 (11 Games)
Club Honours : 2 Times FA Cup + 1984 UEFA Cup
International Honours : 1978 FIFA World Cup Winners
Individual Achievement : None

Steven GERRARD - Box-to-Box - Champions League victory in 2005 winner + Runner-up in 2007 + Top 8 FIFA World Player of the Year four times
Steven Gerrard used to be the superstar of “The Red Machine” Lliverpool where he already selected as the second best of the club by The Times and being going on his road to be club’s greatest ever in the near future. He started well-known as a prominent defensive midfielder in the premier league when Roy Keane and Patrice Vieira were in their late career. He switched to play as attacking midfielder later then but he was still very much to participate in defensive game. Gerrard is a modern midfielder who is outstanding in movement, organizing, work rates, leadership and superb long-shot, became one of the most important scorers of his club, scored more than 20 goals for three seasons, is rated as a world-class midfielder although his technical abilities and passing were not in the first-rate level.

Club
Liverpool

• FA Cup: 2001, 2006
  • Football League Cup: 2001, 2003, 2012
  • FA Community Shield: 2006
  • UEFA Champions League: 2005
  • UEFA Cup: 2001
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2001
Individual
  • Ballon d'Or Bronze Award: 2005
  • UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2005
  • FWA Footballer of the Year: 2009
  • FWA Tribute Award: 2013
  • PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2006
  • PFA Young Player of the Year: 2001
  • PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2001, 2009
  • PFA Merit Award: 2015
  • PFA Team of the Year: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
  • England Player of the Year Award: 2007, 2012
  • Liverpool Player of the Season: 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009
  • Liverpool top scorer: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2014–15
  • UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2012
  • UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2006, 2007
  • FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008, 2009
  • ESM Team of the Year: 2008–09
  • BBC Goal of the Season: 2006
  • FIFA Club World Championship Silver Ball: 2005
  • UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2005
  • FA Cup Final Man of the Match: 2006
  • Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009, March 2014
  • ECHO Sports Personality of the Year Award: 2014
  • BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award – 3rd Place: 2005
  • IFFHS World's Most Popular Footballer: 2006
  • Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12)
    • Fantasy Teams of the 20 Seasons (Public choice)
  • MLS All-Star: 2015
  • UEFA Ultimate Team of the Year (published 2015)
Orders and special awards
  • Member of the Order of the British Empire: 2007
  • Honorary Fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University to mark his contribution to sport: 2008

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
IV. THE ORANGE SQUAD - WINGERS

Robert RENSENBRINK - Left-Winger - 2 Times FIFA World Cup Runner-Up (1974, 1978) + FIFA WC All-Star Team: 1974, 1978 + FIFA WC Most Assists: 1978

Rob Rensenbrink was a famous player of Holland in their great years, is regarded as the greatest footballer ever to play in Belgium league. A creative left winger of considerable skillful, A talented dribbler as well as a cool finisher and defensive infiltrator. He only ever missed two penalties in his entire career, and often enjoyed telling the keeper before hand where he was going to place the ball, and then still beating him there. He played as second striker for his club but switched to play as a wing-forwarder for Holland. Fortunately, Piet Kaiser could not show his great performance as he had done for Ajax, Rensenbrink was replaced as a long-period starter after then. Rensenbrink also helped Holland reach semi-final in Euro 1976. He scored around 250 goals during his career.

Major Club : Anderlecht
Caps : 49 Games (14 Goals)
World Cup Participation : 1974, 1978 (13 Games with 6 goals)
Club Honours : 2 Times Belgium League
5 Times Belgium Cup
2 Times UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup (1976, 1978)
International Honours : 2 Times FIFA World Cup Runner-Up (1974, 1978)
Individual Achievement : 1973 Belgian League Top Scorer
1976 Belgian Golden Shoe
1976 Onze d’Or
1976 Silver Ball European Footballer of The Year
1978 Bronze Ball European Footballer of The Year
2 Times Bronze Ball Onze d’Or (1978, 1979)
2 Times FIFA World Cup All-Star Team (1974, 1978)

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/billy-no-mates-draft.413897/page-35#post-18737615

Johnny REP - Right-Winger - 2 Times FIFA World Cup Runner-Up (1974, 1978) + 1973 European Cup

He was noted for his high speed, movement and consistency scoring. He scored more than 150 goals in 450 games of his professional club career. All in all, He is widely rated as the best right-winger Netherlands has ever produced.

Major Club: Ajax Amsterdam, Saint Etienne
Caps : 42 Games (12 Goals)
World Cup Participation : 1974, 1978 (14 Games)
Club Honours : 1 Time Dutch Champions + 1 Time French Champions
1973 European Cup
1973 Intercontinental Cup
International Honours : 2 Times FIFA World Cup Runner-Up (1974, 1978)
Individual Achievement : 1978 French League Foreign Player of The Year

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
V. THE ORANGE SQUAD - STRIKERS

Christian Vieiri - Target Striker - Career peak: 1996-99
Christian Vieri was the greatest striker in the World during the late 1990s to early 2000s. He was an all-round striker who was excellent in strength, aerial ability, shot technique combined with above average skillful and pace. He start well-known when he could be a starter of Juventus in 1997 at his 24 years old. Next season, He signed for Atletico Madrid, and done one of his best seasons in his career. Once again, He moved to play for Lazio just a one season which he receives the highest seasonal average rating in his whole career before settle down for five years with Inter Milan. He could be considered in 2.5 world-class domestic seasons according to media rating. Nevertheless, His injury always led him put of games especially missing to play in the 2000 UEFA Euro. Vieri was very successful in the two World Cup tournaments although Italy couldn't go further than quarter-final round. Vieri is named in ESM team of the month 13 times and team of the year 2 times. In 1999, he was voted in fifth place FIFA World player of the Year.
World Cup Participation : 1998, 2002 (9 Games / 9 goal)
Professional Score Record : 215 Goals/ 395 Games
Club Honours : 1 Time Italian Series A,1 Time Copa Italia
1996 Intercontinental Cup, 1999 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup
1997 UEFA Champion league Runner-Up
International Honours : 1977 CONCACAF Gold Cup
Individual Achievement : 1 Time Spanish La Liga Top Scorer
1 Time Italian Series A Top Scorer
2 Times Italian Footballer of The Year (1999, 2002)
1998 FIFA World Cup Silver Shoe
1999 Italian Series A Footballer of The Year

Luis SUAREZ - Complete Striker - Copa America 2011+ Champions League 15 + UEFA Best Player in Europe Award Second place: 2015

Simply the best striker of the 2010s

Club
Nacional
  • Primera División: 2005–06
Ajax
Suárez was awarded Eredivisie 2010-11 winner's medal with Ajax, even though he departed during the winter transfer period.
  • Eredivisie: 2010–11
  • KNVB Cup: 2009–10
Liverpool
  • Football League Cup: 2011–12
Barcelona
  • La Liga: 2014–15
  • Copa del Rey: 2014–15
  • UEFA Champions League: 2014–15
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2015
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2015
International
Uruguay
  • Copa América: 2011
Individual
  • PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2013–14
  • FWA Footballer of the Year: 2013–14
  • European Golden Shoe: 2013–14*
  • Premier League Player of the Season: 2013–14
  • FSF Player of the Year: 2013–14
  • Dutch Footballer of the Year: 2009–10
  • ESM Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15
  • PFA Team of the Year (2): 2012–13, 2013–14
  • Premier League Player of the Month (2): December 2013, March 2014
  • Premier League Golden Boot: 2013-14
  • Eredivisie Golden Boot: 2009–10
  • KNVB Cup Top Goalscorer: 2009–10
  • 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification (CONMEBOL) Top Goalscorer
  • Copa América Player of the Tournament: 2011
  • Ajax Player of the Year (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
  • Ajax Top Goalscorer (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
  • Liverpool FC Player of the Year (2): 2012–13, 2013–14
  • Liverpool FC Top Goalscorer (3): 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14
  • Trofeo EFE Player of the Year: 2014-15
  • UEFA Best Player in Europe Award Second place: 2015
  • UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2014–15
  • FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball: 2015

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Player profiles:

Toni Harald Schumacher

In his prime Schumacher is one of the greatest goalkeepers of all-time rated by Kicker 4.5 world-class seasons plus 4.5 seasons of international-class. Schumacher was the very influence player helping Germany reach two World Cup final matches. On the field, Schumacher was an effective goalkeeper, and was one of the first keepers to master a one-armed throw that could propel the ball well into the opponents' half.He was noted for his effective keeper who is excellent in positioning, reflexes, reading games and pressured opponents. Schumacher holds the record of the most appearances for FC Koln. He won 24 clean sheets for West Germany national team.

Club Honours : 1 Time German Champion
3 Times German Cups
International Honours : 1980 European Championship Winners
2 Times FIFA World Cup Runner-Up (1982, 1986)
Individual Achievement : 2 Times German Footballer Of The Year (1984, 1986)
1986 FIFA World Cup Silver Ball
1986 FIFA World Cup Best Goalkeeper
1984 European Goalkeeper Of The Year

Bernard Dietz

Bernard Dietz is a former defender who was trusted to be the captain of West Germany after the period of leadership of Franz Beckenbauer and Berti Vogts. Not only strong in defense, Dietz also quite prolific in scoring goals. Throughout his career in the 1970-1987 period, Dietz scored more than 70 goals. The most memorable match in his career is when he scored four goals and took his club, Duisburg, defeated Bayern Munich with the score 6-3. Dietz's best achievement is leading the West German national team win the Euro 1980 tournament.

Best full back for 3 years with 1 WC season according to Kicker Magazine as well.

International Honours : 1980 European Championship Winners

Volodymyr Bezsonov

Part of USSR golden generation, described as the perfect future footballer by no other than Valeriy Lobanovsky. Lightening quick fullback, tactically flawless (years under Lobanovsky’s reign took their toll), fearless, great on the ball – his only problem was his injury proneness. He was subbed off in 1988 semi-final against Italy after a serious injury and missed the final – but his performance before that was impressive nevertheless. USSR won every game that he played in, including a game against Netherlands in the group, where he was one of their best players – and without him they failed to beat Ireland and lost to Netherlands in the final.

* Ukrainian Footballer of the Year: winner 1989
* Ukrainian Footballer of the Year: 2nd place 1988
* Ukrainian Footballer of the Year: 3rd place 1986
* Voted in the Soviet Unions "All time World Cup team" on planetworldcup.com above other great Full-backs such as Igor Netto and Vasiliy Rats

Willi Schulz

World class: 6 times

International class: 11 times
Broad circle: 8 times
Considered: 3 times

Willi Schulz was a hard as iron right half and later sweeper who was known as the ‘the master of the sliding tackle’. He captained the national team 20 times and was arguably the most important defensive player during the second half of the 1960s. His international breakthrough was the 1966 World Cup after which he was considered as one of the very best central defenders in Europe. During the next four years, Schulz remained the undisputed standard sweeper of Germany. In November 1968, he was part of the FIFA XI that faced Brazil in Rio de Janeiro.
Schulz would have been the standard sweeper of Germany during the 1970 World Cup, but an injury of the meniscus as well as a calf bruise meant that he only started in two of the six World Cup games in Mexico. In his place, Karl-Heinz Schnellingerplayed as sweeper. After the 1970 World Cup, Schulz retired from international activities. He continued to play for Hamburger SV until 1973. Being a conservative sweeper with no urge to join the attack of his teams, Schulz focused on marshalling his defense. He was noted for his calmness even under pressure, his positional play, his strength at man-to-man duels, his solid passing game, aerial ability and a special expertise at sliding tackling. For these traits as well as his consistency at the top level, Schulz was revered by German national team coach Helmut Schön, who preferred Schulz at the sweeper position to the younger and more adventurous Franz Beckenbauer, who had to play in midfield instead and only inherited the libero role for good after Schulz had retired from international duties in 1970.

Rune Bratseth

World class: 3 times
International class: 7 times
Broad circle: 5 times

Rune Bratseth is possibly the best Norwegian footballer of all times, an absolute rock in defence for Werder Bremen and Norway's NT. He won the Bundesliga twice with Rehhagels Werder Bremen and also the German Cup and the Cup Winners Cup in 1992. Bratseth was a very reliable defender with speed to match the best forwards at the time, but he was also a capable dribbler and had a fantastic leap which made him lethal in the oppositions box at corners.

Bratseth was also the captain on the Norwegian NT which had a lot of success in the 90s, the higlight was probably when the NT qualified for the World Cup in 1994 (for the first time since 1938...)

Zlatko ČAJKOVSKI

Started as center-half (CB) in his previous club, but became famous as wing half in Partizan Belgrade (DMF, CMF), used on both sides, but more often on the right side. Very intelligent player, with very good technique and tremendous condition, stamina and mentality. While some of the players of that time were kinda lazy on the field, he always played with great desire to win and even when his team was losing, he was able to motivate them, and turn lost game into victories. Played on the same level from first to the last minute of the game (he was really tireless). Čajkovski had strong character in the field and loved the game very much. He often played football on the small concrete court with the children from his street and during the same day had great performance in the game for Partizan. Čajkovski often joined and sometimes organized attacks. He was very good passer as well (better on short distances). He had strong, but not perfectly accurate shot.

Last edited: