14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. Wolfgang Overath
15. Edgar Allan Pillow - 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger

@mazhar13 @Marty1968

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Excellent picks so far. I wonder which round the drop-off in quality starts?
The level is very high but I think it would start from the 4th round!

The idea is to end with players like Dj*mb*-D*jmb* (I haven't mentioned the name of a specific player :wenger:)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Na bro, no more than an inch and a half head otherwise you might as well put a flake in it.
Damn right.

Also, the fact you're both bartenders is quite disturbing.

On that note, the longest time I've ever had to wait for a beer was in Germany. Don't remember precisely what beer it was (but it wasn't Weissbier, I can tell you that) - but the guy spent about an hour pulling the thing, very particular about the head...and yes, the double entendre possibilities are endless. But it was terribly annoying at the time. Not worth the wait either.

RedTiger

Half mast
Damn right.

Also, the fact you're both bartenders is quite disturbing.

On that note, the longest time I've ever had to wait for a beer was in Germany. Don't remember precisely what beer it was (but it wasn't Weissbier, I can tell you that) - but the guy spent about an hour pulling the thing, very particular about the head...and yes, the double entendre possibilities are endless. But it was terribly annoying at the time. Not worth the wait either.
To be fair to Aldo, I don't know if he's based in England like me. In England the most important thing is the amount of actual alcohol as opposed to the amount of froth.

Moby

Dick
To be fair to Aldo, I don't know if he's based in England like me. In England the most important thing is the amount of actual alcohol as opposed to the amount of froth.
Yeah. We are supposed to fill the glasses up to a particular mark, if not then top up. Dunno if you work with most of the same beers, we serve our local bitter a lot.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Continuing my wacky favourite picks....here goes...

Eusebio ain't in this one, Edgar...

Seriously, though, he's an excellent pick. I was actually considering him myself this time around, but not as a DM/destroyer/marker. Wonder how he'd be received as a more or less standard (as per the formation, anyway) member of a back four – can't remember anyone using him as such, though that was a role he played for United on many occasions. You could even go as far as to say that he effectively operated as a sweeper of sorts at times, though not in the normal sense of the word.

Anyway, I set a challenge of sorts for myself before this one started: Not to go with players I've gone with before, or at least keep the latter to a minimum. Just to keep things interesting, y' know. But I dunno. Might have to change that policy soon enough. It would be a bit silly to pass up on better alternatives just for the sake of such a principle.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
you know nothing.
What do you prefer, old bear: Dark or light?

I haven't experimented much with the darker sort, but I know serious people who prefer "dunkel".

The head is obviously important regardless, though. It's the head, after all.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What do you prefer, old bear: Dark or light?

I haven't experimented much with the darker sort, but I know serious people who prefer "dunkel".

The head is obviously important regardless, though. It's the head, after all.
Light, rarely drink dark beer other than Bockbeer once a year at the beerfestival here and I regret that ever single year.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Light, rarely drink dark beer other than Bockbeer once a year at the beerfestival here and I regret that ever single year.
That is disappointing. You should check out the Belgian Dubbels especially Westmalle's

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I drink plenty of dark beer as such - depending on what one would label "dark", of course, but from my limited experience with "dunkel" Weiss I definitely prefer the lighter kind there.

Is the darker sort normally stronger? That's usually something I shun in a beer. I don't think I've ever come across a genuinely strong beer (above, say, the six percent mark) that I enjoyed much.

Enigma_87

You know who
Is the darker sort normally stronger? That's usually something I shun in a beer. I don't think I've ever come across a genuinely strong beer (above, say, the six percent mark) that I enjoyed much.
Usually it is. Richer taste but somehow very specific, especially Czech dark beers, which is probably the best I've tasted.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Usually it is. Richer taste but somehow very specific, especially Czech dark beers, which is probably the best I've tasted.
I meant for Weissbier specifically.

Thing is that for me, at least, the actual beer quality tends to...go out the window to an extent once you get past a certain point: It becomes something else, in short. I have friends who hail the virtues of certain beers (strong ones), as they're exellent companions to certain dishes - and so forth. Much as you'd argue on behalf of a wine, in other words. And that's no good to me. When I drink beer, that's what I do: I don't sit around sipping it whilst consuming a fancy dish - it's a game unto itself.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I drink plenty of dark beer as such - depending on what one would label "dark", of course, but from my limited experience with "dunkel" Weiss I definitely prefer the lighter kind there.

As far as I know, there's not much in it between regular dark and light Weissbier, definitely both way below the 6% mark. Really depends on the brewery, a quick google search told me that the dark Paulaner Weissbier is actually less strong at 5,3% than their regular Weissbier with 5,5%. It's really just the Bockbeer or variations of double beer that go above the 6%. So unless you drink Bockweissbier, which is of course stronger again, you might give dark ones a try. If you want it really strong, quite a few brewerys started to make a winterbock or icebock. That's pretty insane stuff, like for example Aventinus Eisbock at 12% alcohol.

I keep it simple, not into all the fancy stuff or weird variations or whatever.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Seeing the names of beers being chucked about in this thread and I have been shitting it thinking people are just randomly chucking out the names of Central European footballers I haven't heard of.

Enigma_87

You know who

Thing is that for me, at least, the actual beer quality tends to...go out the window to an extent once you get past a certain point: It becomes something else, in short. I have friends who hail the virtues of certain beers (strong ones), as they're exellent companions to certain dishes - and so forth. Much as you'd argue on behalf of a wine, in other words. And that's no good to me. When I drink beer, that's what I do: I don't sit around sipping it whilst consuming a fancy dish - it's a game unto itself.
Weiss and dark depends really, you can find dark at around 5%,6%,8% or even 12%, there are so many variations on the market and local breweries that it's not a definite answer. Weiss is usually between 5%-6%, though I've seen even at less %.

As for beer and fancy dish I agree they don't go hand in hand. Some drink dark one instead of wine but I find it a bit odd. Beer is more like informal drink or refreshing one at least for me. Very rarely I'll have beer for dinner, especially out, instead of wine. It goes with fried dishes and that's about it or standalone drink.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

:lol: Well said mate. Couldn't agree more.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Seeing the names of beers being chucked about in this thread and I have been shitting it thinking people are just randomly chucking out the names of Central European footballers I haven't heard of.
Well I can tell you some of them are GOATs!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
i guess im one of the rare ones that doesnt like beer :nervous:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I suggest to rename the thread - All Time Beers Draft

The idea is to get more voters for the games