All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Moby

Dick
There's one 11°+ beer really worth it:

Tastes deceptively sweet.
Belgian beers is where it's at, specially the strong ones! Here's the one I really, really loved back in the day.

Tasted amazing. It wasn't served everywhere, had to go to a particular pub to get it but was worth it.

And ever since I've been in the UK I've tried decent amount of stuff, like this ale a lot in particular.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Bock, eh? Does that refer to buckwheat? As in, buckwheat rather than wheat?

I remember drinking some buckwheat beer from a micro brewery in the United States, a few years ago now, and that was pretty decent - but it wasn't strong at all.

12% and the like is bollocks to me. Might as well drink wine, then. Unless you're a kid and there's some sort of "pounds-to-piss" ratio involved. Which could be the case, of course, depending on where you live.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Seriously, though, he's an excellent pick. I was actually considering him myself this time around, but not as a DM/destroyer/marker. Wonder how he'd be received as a more or less standard (as per the formation, anyway) member of a back four – can't remember anyone using him as such, though that was a role he played for United on many occasions. You could even go as far as to say that he effectively operated as a sweeper of sorts at times, though not in the normal sense of the word.
Thanks. I had him in the British/Irish draft and was seriously considering playing him as a CB in flat 4 but was unsure of voter reaction, so did not do so. He certainly is capable of it. I think he is the sweeper in the true sense of the work, letting his partner make the plays while he swept behind. Partner him with a ball playing CB and it'd be a rock solid defence.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
With all of this beer talk, it's time to announce a Bavarian football legend who formed a solid brick wall for Bayern Munich during their best years:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Is that malty?
Yes, dark ale top fermentation belgian beer with fruit and caramel tastes.
Belgian beers is where it's at, specially the strong ones! Here's the one I really, really loved back in the day.

Tasted amazing. It wasn't served everywhere, had to go to a particular pub to get it but was worth it.
What's popular in France is to mix a half of it with a peach gueuze lambic like that:

We call that Pêche Mel'bush. I think they started selling ready made bottles of that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gerson
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho
11. MJJ - 1. Dixie Dean
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm
13. @Physiocrat - 1. Kaka
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. Wolfgang Overath 2. Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck
15. Edgar Allan Pillow - 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
11. MJJ - 1. Dixie Dean
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm
13. Physiocrat - 1. Kaka 2. Zagallo

Enigma_87

You know who

I remember drinking some buckwheat beer from a micro brewery in the United States, a few years ago now, and that was pretty decent - but it wasn't strong at all.

12% and the like is bollocks to me. Might as well drink wine, then. Unless you're a kid and there's some sort of "pounds-to-piss" ratio involved. Which could be the case, of course, depending on where you live.
There was one - Sam Adams triple bock back in the days, I think was Boston brewery or something. It was close to 20% and generally tasted like couple of beers poured into one. Usually I don't have problems with stronger beers but that one I couldn't stomach.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Good 'un. Offers much and would rank among the top wide options given the pool. Wanted him myself. Was reminded of his particular qualities and allround usefulness in the all-time South-American versus European XI thread. Great player.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He certainly is capable of it. I think he is the sweeper in the true sense of the work, letting his partner make the plays while he swept behind. Partner him with a ball playing CB and it'd be a rock solid defence.
Yes, and I'd even have him down as a very suitable partner for a non-ball playing CB as well: A sweeper/more mobile foil to a stopper, to put it like that. Which would be a less obvious combo, given how these things are usually perceived: In reality you don't need a beauty/beast combo - what you need, if you don't depend on large amounts of actual creativity (starting attacks and whatnot) from your CB combo, is a partnership that covers the necessary ground and deals with the relevant attacking threats.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Excellent pick!
I was really impressed with him when I was watching games from the World Cup in 58 and 62. It's heresy but from the France and Sweden matches in 58 he was better than Garrincha

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol:

No. The one on the left is a Bock ;) :

The guy who created it had a similar sounding name, named it after himself and us Bavarians kinda changed it slightly and called it 'a Bock'. You'll often find a picture of a billy goat on Bockbier because of that.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Leovegildo Lins da Gama Júnior

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
11. MJJ - 1. Dixie Dean
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior

@MJJ

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
ffs we were sure that he is going to last until our turn....i blame you @Physiocrat for picking Zagallo!

MJJ

. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli
11. MJJ - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior

@harms

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
:lol:

No. The one on the left is a Bock ;) :

The guy who created it had a similar sounding name, named it after himself and us Bavarians kinda changed it slightly and called it 'a Bock'. You'll often find a picture of a billy goat on Bockbier because of that.
Ah! A buck, obviously.

Whereas buckwheat would be "buch" in German, in the sense of...who knows what, etymologically speaking. But probably the same as the English "beech" (as in, the tree) rather than the (male) animal (buck).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Whereas buckwheat would be "buch" in German, in the sense of...who knows what, etymologically speaking. But probably the same as the English "beech" (as in, the tree) rather than the (male) animal (buck).
Can't help you with that, the whole buckwheat thing is confusing. I don't know why buckwheat is called 'wheat' in the first place. After all, it's not wheat.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Interesting, if a bit left field. Looking forward to seeing him in action.
Yeah, very interesting pick. Firmly in that "legend" category which could be hard to sell when push comes to shove.

Legendary dribbler, for me - one of those. "Yeah, you've got your Garrinchas, but Dobrin could dribble ten Garrinchas in a phone booth - in his underpants."

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Can't help you with that, the whole buckwheat thing is confusing. I don't know why buckwheat is called 'wheat' in the first place. After all, it's not wheat.
Precisely - it ain't. But the name has something to do with the tree, i.e. "beech" or "buch".

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Precisely - it ain't. But the name has something to do with the tree, i.e. "beech" or "buch".
But why? Isn't buckwheat kinda a flower? Or at least flower-ish? Where's the connection to the tree?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But why? Isn't buckwheat kinda a flower? Or at least flower-ish? Where's the connection to the tree?
It seems to stem from the appearance of the seeds - which resembles that of beech nut seeds (triangular, but larger) - and from the fact that buckwheat has been used in ways similar to the usage of wheat.

So, a double similarity - appearance and usage.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It seems to stem from the appearance of the seeds - which resembles that of beech nut seeds (triangular, but larger) - and from the fact that buckwheat has been used in ways similar to the usage of wheat.

So, a double similarity - appearance and usage.
That makes quite a bit of sense. I'll drink a beer on that, to honour the newly gained knowledge and national beer day, which is also something I learned. I didn't even know it existed.