Alternatives for Frenkie De Jong

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Ndidi for real? Are you serious? You do realise the manager is Ten Hag and not Jose right
Just saying we need a more combative player, regardless of who the manager is, although Ten Hag has pretty much said the same so not sure where you are coming from.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just saying we need a more combative player, regardless of who the manager is, although Ten Hag has pretty much said the same so not sure where you are coming from.
Ability on the ball, Ndidi doesnt fit, not even close.
You need to be excellent on the ball, press resistent and combative.

croadyman

Ability on the ball, Ndidi doesnt fit, not even close.
You need to be excellent on the ball, press resistent and combative.
Yeah he has clearly got a certain type of player in mind for this role looking at that interview

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Another good shout Bennacer
He would be my choice from the alternatives that have already been discussed. The only worry with him would be his injuries. But apart from that, he's a player that provides a class and guile on the ball, without sacrificing the defensive side where he shows a real hunger to win the ball back. His mobility/low centre of gravity also makes him a very press resistant midfielder and he's still only 24. He's also a big game player which helped Milan reclaim the title after a number of years.

lex talionis

There is no "de Jong alternative" but United and its minions should start spouting shite about moving on so we can put the sword to Barcelona and end this nonsense with a transfer.

croadyman

I disagree, we should be looking at players that at elast have the potential to be developed into the level we are aspiring too, other wise what happens in two seasons, we have yet more players we wish to sell?

Same token to be fair though....its funny how obsessed many are with technical ball playing midfielders for us to sign yet many dont rate these two when it is what they are good at.....yet I keep reading about how we can make do with plenty of the options we have. Eriksen isnt a deep lying midfielder to play alongside someboduy like DeJOng, Fred being press resistant....I cant belief people are saying that, he absolutely crumbles and makes mistakes playing deep under and pressure at all with the ball at his fee, where on earth are thos comments coming from and McTominay also is decent driving with the ball, but he isnt press resistant at all and then peopl ementioning VDB....yes he has been press resistant over the last season as its hard to be caugt in possesion of the ball when you are anomynous for the majority of the game.

I get the feeling Ten Hag had DeJong in mind and some of his alternatives may well have been English players mayve a Phillips (glad that ended quick the links), Rice or Bellingham but he has een the prices are ridiculous. It seemt to me, its DeJOng or bust in the transfer market for the type of player he wants to have there as he alluded towards developing players we have if he cant find the player(s) he wants.

That is fair enough to me, do think we have possible options fo rthat role idevelopment wise in the shorter term.

Stranger though is our still complete lack of targeting a proper sound defensive midfielder, especially in the premiership and I dont really see any options for that role with what we have, lets not name Savage for example afer two preseason appearances
Erik clearly isn't looking for that destroyer type of defensive midfielder, so we just have to hope that strategy pays off

croadyman

There is no "de Jong alternative" but United and its minions should start spouting shite about moving on so we can put the sword to Barcelona and end this nonsense with a transfer.
So what's your gut feeling on how this is going to turn out then, mine is we could see movement when they get second lever

cyril C

Erik clearly isn't looking for that destroyer type of defensive midfielder, so we just have to hope that strategy pays off
FDJ is never a DMF, he is more of a box2box MF with good passing skill, so is more like a Pogba alternative. May be less gifted, but more industrial, discipline, and certainly listen more to the coach than his agent. For a direct alternative, we need to look into that aspects. For any alternative, ETH can certainly wider the net for other CM. But agree with you that he is not eyeing for a pure DMF, unless he is good on ball control and passing.

L1nk

First i'm going to rule some out...

Tielemens - Obvious choice, don't think he's good enough however
Ruben Neves - Obvious choice, think Wolves are going to want a little much for him though
Konrad Laimer - Not even remotely the same and seems to be going to Bayern
Ibrahim Sangare - Not even remotely the same player and I don't think he's good enough on the ball

Here's a list...

Fabian Ruiz - Only a year left on his contract which means he's likely to come cheaper than FDJ (rumoured prices of around 30mill, meaning we can maybe invest elsewhere too. Only just turned 26, and is very similar to FDJ in terms of playstyle.
Nicolo Rovella - Juventus youngster who has been on loan and impressed, a DM that has similar attributes to FDJ, perhaps a little less experienced than Fabian Ruiz but plenty of talent and won't cost that much, rumoured Juventus are looking to cash in
Nicolas Dominguez - Bologna player who just turned 24, would argue he plays similarly to Veratti
Teun Koopmeiners - Great long range passing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has never played in a midfield 2 in his career other than late in games if his team are behind and need a goal. Always a midfield 3 or on the wing.

But one of the reasons why we got Eriksen is that he can carry the McFred midfield. Eriksen plays a lot deeper than people think, often receiving the ball from the central defenders deep inside his own half.

Remember Spurs. Dembele, Dier, Vanyama, Sissoko. Not exactly midfielders that are known for their passing ability.

Brentford used him in a midfield 3 with Vitaly Janelt and Christian Nørgaard. A DM and a semi-DM.

Eriksen can’t play in a midfield 2 because he is extremely lightweight. He is honestly worse than Bruno and Mata defensively. I don’t think people realize how poor Eriksen is defensively. He pretty much wont get stuck in…
Imagine signing Eriksen to make McFred work, instead of previous notion of signing a DM to make Bruno Pogba work.

reelworld

I think Tielemans would do wonder with United. His play was regressing last year that's true, but I seem to remember that he wanted to move on then, but Leicester priced him out and he got demotivated as a result. In a better team and coach like ten Hag? He probably would do much better than his last season in Leicester.

saivet

Really do hope he goes for a different profile of midfielder if he can't get FDJ. I get his stance on wanting the right players but I think a stance of 'FDJ or no one' should only be made from a position of strength. Our midfield is piss poor and we are light in experienced player. Sure we shouldn't splash big on guys that are not ideal for him but I think doing nothing is ultimately worse than say signing Tielemans and/or someone else.

I think we'll get someone in for the midfield but the comments make me a bit worried that we'll be losing Matic and Pogba and replacing them with youngsters.

Utuhu

Atlanta Teun Koopmeiners will be a suitable replacement target.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's not ideal because De Jong is who Ten Hag wants, but a DM that's fairly decent on the ball can be the alternative

Bruno Eriksen
DM​

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its going to be McFred again, but McFred under ETH >>> McFred under Ole or Rangnick.

croadyman

Really do hope he goes for a different profile of midfielder if he can't get FDJ. I get his stance on wanting the right players but I think a stance of 'FDJ or no one' should only be made from a position of strength. Our midfield is piss poor and we are light in experienced player. Sure we shouldn't splash big on guys that are not ideal for him but I think doing nothing is ultimately worse than say signing Tielemans and/or someone else.

I think we'll get someone in for the midfield but the comments make me a bit worried that we'll be losing Matic and Pogba and replacing them with youngsters.
Yeah with the impasse over De Jong it's hard not to draw that kind of conclusion

Bigfoot2

We appear to be peeing against the wind with FDJ. He has just bought a house in Barcelona, his family are settled and happy there, He wants to stay at Barca, he's said he doesn't want to come to United, Barca owe him 17 million euros. Why are we trying to buy someone who isn't interested in the club. I despair.

El Presidente

We appear to be peeing against the wind with FDJ. He has just bought a house in Barcelona, his family are settled and happy there, He wants to stay at Barca, he's said he doesn't want to come to United, Barca owe him 17 million euros. Why are we trying to buy someone who isn't interested in the club. I despair.
Because you shouldn’t believe everything that you read?

Castia

Should have signed Kamara who went to Villa.

22 year old French International on a free? probably be sold for about 60m in a couple of years.

Gandalf

Tielemans is very underrated here on the Caf. Would make a superb signing.
I think he is overrated frankly but by all accounts he is very keen on a move to Arsenal and we approached him last season and at least at the time he had no interest in coming here. Maybe ETH is enough to make him change his mind but he does not really do it for me.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The alternative to De Jong is see which ones of Iqbal, Savage, Garner and Mejbri can step up. That being said, I'm mindful of the fact that Tielemans' contract is running out and he'd be a decent McTominay upgrade at a relatively cheap price.

Sea-Cow

Its a good question. I just have to believe that the United higher-ups know something we don't. They certainly wouldn't spend this much time and effort if they were informed that he honestly did not want to play for us. Right? Right?!?! Someone please tell me we certainly aren't that foolish.