Alvaro Fernandez Carreras

Golden Nugget

A insightful thread on Fernandez for anyone that's interested, which includes information from a interview he did with Marca in Spain.

Great read. It’s good to see we have a talented, pacey fullback that seems ready to step up.

it states his height is 1.86 - it really doesn’t look like it

Bwuk

Depending how the top 4 race goes, I could see him getting his debut this season.

Shaw nor Telles have exactly set the world alight this season. The place is definitely up for grabs.

BerryBerryShrew

Great read. It’s good to see we have a talented, pacey fullback that seems ready to step up.

it states his height is 1.86 - it really doesn’t look like it
Is he pacey? I haven't watched him but I could have sworn that some posters said the opposite when he was signed.

Mickson

He's not so pacey. He can beat his man with his acceleration for the first two steps but other than that he's not so fast, although I wouldn't say that he is very slow either. You can compare him with [Irrelevant point] as a player. If I would pick a weakness in his game I would pick his pace.

SparkedIntoLife

Every time I’ve seen him he’s looked like a CM playing at LB. I might be totally wrong there.

captaincantona

Maybe I’m completely naive here...but what good is scraping through the group stages of next seasons CL? Does a new manager need that type of pressure after a summer spending spree? If we get knocked out in the groups...imagine the media. These last few games of the season could be much more beneficial for us to blood youth. I know it’s a money thing but we could spend the next 9 games or whatever playing the usual suspects and Arsenal are still not gonna drop 7 points.

The rebuild has to start now. Players like Fernandez, Amad, Hannibal need minutes now so RR can report back to the new gaffer on whether or not they are ready. We have issues at fullback...this guy is the closest thing we have to a solution in our ranks right now. He ain’t getting any taller at this stage so I would rather see him thrown in now and see if he can do a job instead of another wan bissaka situation and throwing 50million at Brighton for Lampety.

Last edited:

macheda14

Maybe I’m completely naive here...but what good is scraping through the group stages of next seasons CL?
Money. You get 15 million euros for being in the group stage with 2.8 for every win and 930k for every draw. Getting through the group stage also nets you another 9.6 mill. So realistically you should be getting upwards of 25 million pounds if you just scrape through. Then you also have broadcast money as well as matchday revenue. In reality missing out on the CL seems to be about a 50 mill loss.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Money. You get 15 million euros for being in the group stage with 2.8 for every win and 930k for every draw. Getting through the group stage also nets you another 9.6 mill. So realistically you should be getting upwards of 25 million pounds if you just scrape through. Then you also have broadcast money as well as matchday revenue. In reality missing out on the CL seems to be about a 50 mill loss.
Not quite that amount as you need to offset the differential between the Europa which we will likely get if we miss CL

macheda14

Not quite that amount as you need to offset the differential between the Europa which we will likely get if we miss CL
You really don't make that much from Europa league games in comparison, also less broadcasting, but I guess you still get matchday revenue. (Are Europa League games cheaper ticket prices or the same?)
Group stage win €630k
Group stage draw €210k
Group stage winners €1.1million

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
You really don't make that much from Europa league games in comparison, also less broadcasting, but I guess you still get matchday revenue. (Are Europa League games cheaper ticket prices or the same?)
Group stage win €630k
Group stage draw €210k
That shut me up, shocked at the difference and I guess a lot of sponsors will have clauses about time in CL and lower amounts etc so there is probably an even bigger differential when measuring other variables.

On topic, exciting prospect nowhere near ready for first team, the odd cameo? fine, less than 1% of top players are ready for the pressure and expectations at his age, he hasn't even played proper men's football yet, plenty fail to make the step up, maybe a cameo here or there to increase his profile and we can get him a good loan next year and reassess. Seen him a few times at his level and he doesn't look too good for it consistently enough, clearly a good player with potential but so many seem to underestimate the step up required to first team

captaincantona

Group stage win €630k
Group stage draw €210k
Yeah I edited my post acknowledging the money issue but the sentiment remains the same. I have no interest in seeing McFred, Luke Shaw, Bisakka, Maguire and Rashford all start in next seasons CL. I’m happy to watch the new coach ring in the changes.

Fernandez has stood out to me in an attacking sense in every game I have watched him. I think he is ready to be tested and physicality won’t be an issue imo. Same for Hannibal.

lenny_1248

If Ten Hag comes, this "inverted full-back" position could be very good for him.
Though still needs to work on his defence.

vva

Alvaro fernandez has outstanding performance very often. He's playing quite mature, have good passing and determination. Really wish to see him given a chance on 1st team. Erik Ten Hag would love him like he love Daley blind.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, I quite like Rangnick but he should have tried more young players for sure.
Maybe he doesn't feel it his place as an interim to do that. He probably hoped the players in the first team would be good enough and have heart enough to get Top 4. That a new manager would have a look at them. Once Top 4 is out of the way as Spurs already ahead, he might just decide feck it and throw kids in to give them a chance.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The squad already playing crap, why would a manager bring in youth in this current environment?? To set them up for failure?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe he doesn't feel it his place as an interim to do that. He probably hoped the players in the first team would be good enough and have heart enough to get Top 4. That a new manager would have a look at them. Once Top 4 is out of the way as Spurs already ahead, he might just decide feck it and throw kids in to give them a chance.
Yep, this is my thinking too. Also, I wouldn't want to put in any youth player in this toxic environment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yep, this is my thinking too. Also, I wouldn't want to put in any youth player in this toxic environment.
I think one Top 4 is out of question, then last couple of games he might pick some and the crowd will be right behind them. Agree at the moment it wouldn't be a good idea to throw them in as starters, but still wouldn't be against having more on the bench to get a few minutes here and there.

JohnnyKills

Yeah let's hope so mate

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I personally think it’s far better that the talented youngsters avoid the current mess that the first team is. Much better to integrate them with the new manager and a full pre season. There’s little positive value in playing them now, even if makes us feel a bit better.

Marwood

He’s got a great range of passing and some touch. Pity he wasn’t blessed with just a little more pace
For a lad with no pace he's got a lovely way of beating a player.

But agree off the ball it might be the thing that holds him back.

Demaw

He has improved so much. Definite potential and wicked left foot.

GueRed

One of our most consistent performers this season.

he should be up there as one of the candidates for the under 23s player of the season award.

Prodigal7

One of our most consistent performers this season.

he should be up there as one of the candidates for the under 23s player of the season award.
I think he’s been the best player in the u23s. The problem is that people take more notice of the midfielders and attackers style so I expect Mejbri or Shoretire will get the award.

Mickson

I think he’s been the best player in the u23s. The problem is that people take more notice of the midfielders and attackers style so I expect Mejbri or Shoretire will get the award.
Hopefully, they won't let us vote. Fernandez is the best U23 player this season. In the U18 it's more of a competition.

GueRed

Hannibal was better last season but still had a decent season

Shoretire I can definitely see be put up as a nominee he has been a solid performer throughout.

But yeah my choice would be Fernandez

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hannibal missed too many games or I suspect he would've won the award comfortably. Fernandez has been a ever present and has been a consistent performer in the team, so would be a worthy winner.

Last edited:

Idxomer

I would play him the rest of the season, he can't have worse physicality than Telles.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd be interested to see if we were to sign someone like Timber and move to a back 3, maybe he would be in contention for the first team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Solid performance.

Think that was a bit better than ‘solid’ even. He’s very accomplished. Football has changed and there’s an obsession l, especially in England, with doing things quickly more than there is to doing them properly I think. This lad is no slower than the likes of Gary Neville or Dennis Irwin. Heck, even Gabrielle Heinze got a season or two at left-back for us.

Bwuk

I think the lack of pace thing gets overblown. It’s about intensity of the runs. Dalot is quick but runs like he’s half arsed.