View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

luke511

@Pickle85 he won PFA fan’s player of the year last year, it’s not just a case of him getting better the less he plays in the eyes of fans. He’s a very talented player that hasn’t been given a platform at the club yet. We just want to see him given that opportunity so we can judge his ability at this level, his only appearance for us prior to today was a positive one so it’s natural to want to see more. 10 minutes isn’t enough to form a conclusive opinion that he’s average like you and others have. He needs a run of games in the team first with players like Mainoo on the pitch to link up with, not a dysfunctional mess like we saw today.

Red-17

Easy enough to realise he looks like a kid playing with men.
Did he get pushed off the ball once the whole game? Can't use lack of physicality as an excuse when the manager is playing Eriksen, Antony, and Rashford in key roles.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's average, agreed. Midtable level. Ditto Amad, though he also falls short of Antony in terms of physicality. He's just had fewer minutes for people to pick apart.
At that point you're saying Antony is average but better than a player you think will also be average based on not really seeing him play for us...

The Substitute

Was OK, we got better when he came on, as we started to actually play the ball when he was involved, with the exception of when Bruno got hold of it, where he is immediately it's hoofing it all around

Pickle85

At that point you're saying Antony is average but better than a player you think will also be average based on not really seeing him play for us...
No, I'm saying that both are average. Amad is just average and physically less up to the PL than Antony.

Pickle85

Did he get pushed off the ball once the whole game? Can't use lack of physicality as an excuse when the manager is playing Eriksen, Antony, and Rashford in key roles.
It's plain as day that all of those players are stronger on the ball than Amad, with the possible exception of Eriksen.

Pickle85

@Pickle85 he won PFA fan’s player of the year last year, it’s not just a case of him getting better the less he plays in the eyes of fans. He’s a very talented player that hasn’t been given a platform at the club yet. We just want to see him given that opportunity so we can judge his ability at this level, his only appearance for us prior to today was a positive one so it’s natural to want to see more. 10 minutes isn’t enough to form a conclusive opinion that he’s average like you and others have. He needs a run of games in the team first with players like Mainoo on the pitch to link up with, not a dysfunctional mess like we saw today.
He's played more for us than once before though? Two consecutive coaches have not played him and whenever he's played he's looked bang average in the first team. Sure, give him a go if it'll quieten down the folks clamouring - season's pretty much gone anyway - but he isn't the answer, I'm afraid.

mintyred

He's played more for us than once before though? Two consecutive coaches have not played him and whenever he's played he's looked bang average in the first team. Sure, give him a go if it'll quieten down the folks clamouring - season's pretty much gone anyway - but he isn't the answer, I'm afraid.
Most of his games have been short cameos and he's done all that he can do. He was sent on loan and did really well at Sunderland. If he can do it physically in the Championship he can do it physically in the PL. He has Garnacho in his way and he's a hard player to move. He's not going to replace Rashord due to his status and Antony is a Ten Hag favourite. He'll probably get sold without getting a start for us in the league whilst Rashford is still here stealing a living and Antony is just existing.

Red-17

It's plain as day that all of those players are stronger on the ball than Amad, with the possible exception of Eriksen.
Oh it’s plain as day? Well I guess if you say so. Would genuinely like one example from today’s game that actually supports your point. You seem to have formed your solidified opinion on him as a player based on limited appearances for our club over two years ago when he was 18-19 years old.

He just played a full season as one of the best attackers in the Championship and was not physically out of his depth or “a kid playing against men” so maybe we should look at more recent evidence of him as a player rather than expecting an 18 year old to be at his peak physical level.

Litch

Christ how can any of us have a view based on the ridiculous small sample size we have seen him play?
What we can say in a very competitive league, he was one of the best players in it and managed the extreme physical nature of it.

The problem is this manager doesnt give fringe players enough game time.

Pickle85

Oh it’s plain as day? Well I guess if you say so. Would genuinely like one example from today’s game that actually supports your point. You seem to have formed your solidified opinion on him as a player based on limited appearances for our club over two years ago when he was 18-19 years old.

He just played a full season as one of the best attackers in the Championship and was not physically out of his depth or “a kid playing against men” so maybe we should look at more recent evidence of him as a player rather than expecting an 18 year old to be at his peak physical level.
Ok, maybe we can come back to this in a few years and see where he is. For now this conversation is clearly going nowhere. You see something that I haven't and that clearly United coaches to date haven't, but maybe let's put a pin in this and come back to it in a few years?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought that was promising enough myself. No, he didn't pull up any trees, but he kept the ball well under pressure, showed some nice agility to turn away from an opposition player, and just helped us keep the ball better in general. A de Jong-esque feint and turn is always lovely to see for me!

I'm under no illusions about his talent. I've already critiqued parts of his game after watching him the whole of last season. He's by no means a top talent like our other kids potentially are, but he is talented nonetheless. Definitely talented enough to earn some starts in the current state we're in.

When I see:

1. The amount of chances Bruno and Rashford get regardless of form. Yes, they're match winners on their day, but they shouldn't be undroppable, and their form certainly doesn't make you think otherwise. Knowing they will be dropped for poor showings can only help us get better performances out of them.

& 2. The progress Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund have made with consistent starts. Have they all been great every game? No, and that's okay. If we had dropped anyone of them for a poor performance, none of them would've built up the form they've showed at times this season. Giving a kid one game to win a place or else it's the bench isn't going to help them build the form needed to actually earn their place in the side, and it's not like we're keeping out any world beaters by doing this at the moment.

I just think the seasons a write off. With Rashford, Bruno and Antony all flattering to deceive, what's the harm in giving Amad a run everyone else has been afforded to show if he's good enough. That way, come next season, we'll know if we have someone who can contribute to the squad or someone who needs selling, and, if we do intend to sell, we can add a bit more on the transfer fee due to him potentially playing more top level football.

TempusFugit

Have you actually watched Amad play? I'd say he's one of the best in the team at riding challenges. Bruno for example is actually one of our easiest players to knock off the ball. It's why he always gets rid of it so quickly, he can't keep it.

lex talionis

The man has to be given more than ten minutes to prove whether he’s shit or decent, or even better than decent.

Zed is not dead

The only thing you can reproach him today was that he didn’t take enough risks.

When you come on with 10min on the clock, you need to try and make differences, either by a pass or a movement, rather than just passing back to your defenders.

Except for the goal, he was okay and didn’t show anything we didn’t already know. Skillful player, seems to have good vision

Red-17

I thought that was promising enough myself. No, he didn't pull up any trees, but he kept the ball well under pressure, showed some nice agility to turn away from an opposition player, and just helped us keep the ball better in general. A de Jong-esque feint and turn is always lovely to see for me!

I'm under no illusions about his talent. I've already critiqued parts of his game after watching him the whole of last season. He's by no means a top talent like our other kids potentially are, but he is talented nonetheless. Definitely talented enough to earn some starts in the current state we're in.

When I see:

1. The amount of chances Bruno and Rashford get regardless of form. Yes, they're match winners on their day, but they shouldn't be undroppable, and their form certainly doesn't make you think otherwise. Knowing they will be dropped for poor showings can only help us get better performances out of them.

& 2. The progress Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund have made with consistent starts. Have they all been great every game? No, and that's okay. If we had dropped anyone of them for a poor performance, none of them would've built up the form they've showed at times this season. Giving a kid one game to win a place or else it's the bench isn't going to help them build the form needed to actually earn their place in the side, and it's not like we're keeping out any world beaters by doing this at the moment.

I just think the seasons a write off. With Rashford, Bruno and Antony all flattering to deceive, what's the harm in giving Amad a run everyone else has been afforded to show if he's good enough. That way, come next season, we'll know if we have someone who can contribute to the squad or someone who needs selling, and, if we do intend to sell, we can add a bit more on the transfer fee due to him potentially playing more top level football.
The last part is the most frustrating thing to me. If he sits on the bench the rest of the season and we sell him this summer we would be lucky to get 15-20 million. If we play him and he impresses but maybe isn’t the long term answer, we could easily be getting double that this year or next. We are not selling Antony unless we accept taking a massive loss, so we need to know if Amad is worth keeping or selling. There is no scenario for himself or the club where he should be here next season as the third choice right winger.

Litch

EtH is in self preservation mode and once managers get into the need to save their own necks, they see playing these players as a risk.

The irony is if he was more invested in the fringe players, then players would be better prepared for when needed. If you look in history, often its the fringe players at the end, have been the difference between winning and losing. There has been enough examples in our own history.

Bondi77

It is as plain as day that Antony is not stronger on the ball than him and Antony can not tackle for shit.
All he does when he loses the ball is run back after the defender and slides into him without getting the ball and gives away a free kick.

Bondi77

EtH is in self preservation mode and once managers get into the need to save their own necks, they see playing these players as a risk.

The irony is if he was more invested in the fringe players, then players would be better prepared for when needed. If you look in history, often its the fringe players at the end, have been the difference between winning and losing. There has been enough examples in our own history.
That is right and it sometimes takes injuries to favoured players to force the hand of the manager to actually pick the better player.

Roboc7

Just as I predicted, only thrown on in desperation and then when didn’t work miracles he’s deemed not good enough and manager will probably revert back to Antony for game against Forest.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

When I see:

100% agree with the above.

Litch

That is right and it sometimes takes injuries to favoured players to force the hand of the manager to actually pick the better player.
Hes stubborn and holds fringe players to a higher standard than the players that have had more games. If Amad doesnt come on and score an hatrick, hes not good enough....

Bondi77

Hes stubborn and holds fringe players to a higher standard than the players that have had more games. If Amad doesnt come on and score an hatrick, hes not good enough....
Amad should start the FA Cup game but I can nearly guarantee that he will start Antony in the hope that he will somehow be decent and give him about 70mins and then bring Amad on and give him gametime scraps.

cpresc

Just watched the highlights. Amad didn't do very well covering that Iwobi shot/goal at the end :/

In Rainbows

Ok, maybe we can come back to this in a few years and see where he is. For now this conversation is clearly going nowhere. You see something that I haven't and that clearly United coaches to date haven't, but maybe let's put a pin in this and come back to it in a few years?
You've watched a grand total of 377 minutes of Amad for United spread out over 11 appearances during his age 18-21 seasons. Majority of those being when he was 18-19 years old.

You've seen feck all. And if he ends up not being good enough for United, it won't be because you somehow knew all along. It will be due to an easy guess because most young players aren't good enough for United, and guessing is all you're doing.

Fair enough if you've judged him off him playing for our youth teams or on loan, but seeing as his technical ability allowed him to do really well in those competitions, you obviously haven't formed your opinion on seeing him fail. So you wouldn't be forming your opinion to the same standard of youth watchers did when judging say, Tyler Blackett all those years ago.

Last edited:

RedIan

Just watched the highlights. Amad didn't do very well covering that Iwobi shot/goal at the end :/
Harsh in the extreme. Amad sprinted 80 yds to get back goal side of the attacker showing speed and determination to get back. . Hes no defender. No way is that goal on him.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
In the Championship. Other recent winners include Aleksandar Mitrović, Teemu Pukki, and Dwight Gayle, just to put it into perspective.

luke511

In the Championship. Other recent winners include Aleksandar Mitrović, Teemu Pukki, and Dwight Gayle, just to put it into perspective.
It’s a response to the claim that fans rate him more the less he plays, it’s more to do with him coming off a very successful season in the Championship and we’re still waiting for his chance here. 45 minutes in a Utd shirt this season isn’t enough to call him average and miles off the standard, especially when he’s played well.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
No need to write him off when everything else connected to our offense is either injured, on loan or totally out of form (Sancho, Greenwood, Pallistri, Antony).

OmarUnited4ever

It's a huge issue for Amad that today Furson was picked ahead of him, it means EtH has zero faith in him to give him a chance with Hojlund and Martial injured plus Antony being out of form and yet Furson got in ahead of him.

Amad is better off leaving this summer.

Grande

This would sound more realistic if Forson hadn’t started in his position and Antony was on the bench still when he was subbed in. Given that, either you consider Antony a fringe player and Forson a lynchpin in the team, or you … wait … there is no alternative.

Grande

Just as I predicted, only thrown on in desperation and then when didn’t work miracles he’s deemed not good enough and manager will probably revert back to Antony for game against Forest.
Wait, you predicted that he wont start vs Forest, and now you consider that prediction affirmwd based on you predicting he wont start vs Forest?

criticalanalysis

Not sure if you think that context really proves your point. All three of those players (yes even Pukki) would have been very useful for us at some point in their careers and I'm assuming Amad won it whilst being much younger than those. So yes he's a genuine talent and could be a useful player for us.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not sure if you think that context really proves your point. All three of those players (yes even Pukki) would have been very useful for us at some point in their careers and I'm assuming Amad won it whilst being much younger than those. So yes he's a genuine talent and could be a useful player for us.
I'm not saying he's shit. I'm merely pointing out that there's an enormous gulf between United and the Championship, and that fans shouldn't get carried away.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really don't know what to make of him and where he fits in the team. None of the United Managers have ever really given him a look in, but we know their is a talented player in there based on his last loan. Then today he didn't really do much. Kept the ball moving, but largely was passed the ball in a static situation where he can't really do a whole lot. I do remember one situation where he had it and clearly looked to move the ball about with little one / twos, yet our other players don't look to play that way. So it really looking like we have him, yet the rest of the players don't play the same style so we are unlikely to actually get the best out of him.

If I was him, I would look to move on from United. We are just going to ruin his development, if we haven't already

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

And for some reason he started Forson over Amad :houllier:

It’s crazy how much chances Amad seems to miss.